Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
At this point, the only thing that'll get me to back for a physical book is a name I'm already familiar with and want to give money to. Otherwise, I'll take the PDF and get it run off at a print shop if I decide I want a hardcopy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

JackMann posted:

Y'know, money won't get taken out of your wallet until the Kickstarter ends. And you can cancel your pledge up until about twenty-four hours before the end of the campaign. Just food for thought.

You can actually cancel up to the moment the campaign ends. The 24 hour restriction is only if cancelling your pledge would drop a project below its funding goal (i.e. someone makes a $10,000 joke pledge and then wants to pull the rug out from under the project creator at the last minute)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I'm throwing some money at this when I get paid.

No need to wait til payday to pledge; Kickstarter doesn't actually take your money until the end of the funding period.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, I don't know how other people do it but speaking personally I don't tend to pledge to Kickstarters unless I could actually spare the money at that moment, it just seems more sensible to me to ask myself "can I afford this now?" rather than "can I afford this in 30 days from now?" One of those things I can be certain about, the other is a big question mark.

Fair enough. I generally look at a project end date and say "when do I get paid relative to this project ending?" and proceed from there.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Leperflesh posted:

Guys if you are literally unable to spend money on a thing until you get the next paycheck, you are "living paycheck to paycheck" and maybe should think seriously about an extended stay in the BFC subforum. Please don't spend your rent money on kickstarter.

Don't worry, my paychecks are all very consistent now that I'm working full time, and "rent" "food" "utility bills" and "emergency money" are all budgeted long before "steam and Kickstarter funds" are.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Just happened to stumble across this little gem: Unwritten: Adventures in the Ages of Myst and Beyond.

A Fate Core-Powered RPG set in the world of the Myst computer games. This is literally everything I ever could ask for from an project like this. Some of the reward tiers are a little pricey, but if you just want a base PDF, its a very reasonable $10. $25 gets you expansion PDFs and beta access to the rules, and $50 gets you a paperback hard-copy of the book.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

inklesspen posted:

I've backed it, but I find it very weird that for a property based so extensively around magical books, they don't have any mockups of the book hardcopy. I mean this is probably one of the few properties where you could get people to shell out $100 or so to an unproven company for a leatherbound "pre-distressed" edition, or special fountain pens to fill out your character sheet, or whatnot. And they're not going there. Why?

My biggest headscratcher is that they called the $25 level "BOOK", but it does not actually come with a book, just a PDF.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

I can't wait to buy this and read it cover to cover and then have it sit on my shelf because I will never convince any of my friends to play it with me. I'm not being even remotely sarcastic.

Thankfully I have one friend who loves the Myst mythos as much as I do, and another who adores non-combat story-games, so if nothing else I can run with those guys. And I'm sure some goons would be up for a PbP.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
That is a gorgeous card back. I still can't decide if I want poker or tarot size cards though! (Just to clarify, the tarot ones are the larger ones, right? My only tarot deck is pocket sized, but I was under the impression that the cards were generally larger.)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Thedandmom posted:

Yes the tarot deck is larger than the poker. Better hurry up and pick though, I'm closing the paypal shop soon.

I was a Kickstarter backer. Did I blank out and forget that you already ran the reward selection survey? Or do I need to do something else to choose?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Thedandmom posted:

Yes I already ran the survey. The only surveys I don't have are from people who weren't able to get their payment through. I have everyone else's surveys.

Edit: It looks like you picked the Basic Deck. Which is the tarot sized deck.

Cool. I will trust the judgement of my past self. Thanks for checking!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Unwritten (That Myst based Fate Core adaptation) just announced their final stretch goal yesterday. If they reach $31,250, all the interior work of the book will be in full color. I really hope it makes it...I'm beyond stoked for a Myst pen-and-paper game and having it be super pretty is a nice bonus.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

signalnoise posted:

Wouldn't a Myst pen and paper setting be a lot like Planescape? Or did I misunderstand the teleportation stuff in the first game?

I'm not overly familiar with the Planescape, but here's a quick-n-dirty Myst primer:

The D'ni people mastered the ability to write Descriptive Books that could be used to transport you to different worlds. Some believed that writing the book created the world, but in actuality they linked you a world matching what you wrote down. Due to the infinite nature of the universe, anything you could think of to write down exists somewhere out there; the act of writing makes a bridge to a world, not a world itself.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The Supreme Court posted:

Here's my kickstarter: Pirate World! It's an hour in, but has had an awesome response so far!

It's a sourcebook for Dungeon World/ Fate Core where you steal a ship, sail an ocean filled with lovecraftian monsters and flee from the law. It's filled to the brim with pretty unique content and should look beautiful too!

Here's the Kickstarter

I am SO EXCITED.

Here's what comes in the hardback, 180 page book with full page colour illustrations by a couple of awesome goons:

Do you know offhand when Kickstarter handles currency conversion? I ask because your pledge level says that the PDF level is approx $15 and kickstarter is telling me $17. Not a huge deal, I'm pledging either way, but it'd be nice to know how much I'm spending.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Hrm...I question the wisdom of listing prices in dollars on the tier levels then. While the possibility is slight, if something wacky were to happen in world of currency exchange in the next 4 weeks, the prices listed may become completely inaccurate.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
If anyone here backed Dungeon Roll (or bought it after the fact), there's a Kickstarter for a Winter Promo Pack of heroes and treasures. Honestly, this really feels like "Using Kickstarter as a store" but I'm not gonna complain about being able to 1) chuck more money at the guy behind the game and 2) get cheap gaming swag.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Cosmic Afro posted:

Also: Anybody else following Ryuutama's post Kickstarter upates? Anybody tried the things they've released?

My housemate is running a PbP of it; here's a link to the recruitment thread if you wanted to take a look: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597703

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

gnome7 posted:

Backers of Inverse World: Check your emails.

You realize that you didn't use BCC when sending out those e-mails, right? My e-mail address just got shared with all the digital-tier backers of Inverse World, and theirs have been shared with me.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

7thBatallion posted:

Still waiting on mine..

I messaged them two days ago since my wife got her set and I didn't get mine (Odd, given same pledge level, last name, and shipping address) and was told things were still being shipped out in waves.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Remora posted:

If you got bags or games and she didn't, that's why. They shipped coins-only first, and the bags are going to be further delayed because they accidentally got shipped to Germany - they're not doing partial shipping due to costs.

Naw. We both just got collector-sets of the coins. 1 of each for "Oooh shiny" purposes.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Why does Chinese New Year halt production for so long? Is it customary to take a bunch of vacation time for New Year's over there? I legit don't know anything about the holiday.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Kwyndig posted:

Same, had to cut mine out of the shipping box because it was way over taped up though. Still looks great and I love the game.

That's been a trend with Kickstarter stuff I've been getting lately. That said, I prefer overtaped to undertaped.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Kickstarter is notoriously spotty on enforcing their rules and regulations anyway. So there's really no way of telling, short of reporting the project and waiting for a response back from their support team, if the coupons are "allowed" or not.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Lemon Curdistan posted:

My Futuristic Metal Coins just arrived (I'm in the UK):

At least you got all of yours. I only got part of my order, and when I contacted them about it, they said "Oh we're loosing too much money on sending them out, can we just refund you?"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

GrandpaPants posted:

I hope you said no.

I replied with "I'd rather actually receive the thing I pledged for" and left it at that. We'll see how hard they want to pursue it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

bdurso posted:

Is it just me or has Minion seemed really unprofessional throughout the kickstarter and the wait? I continually see misspellings in the posts made by the main guy, and he keeps talking about not making enough money. When people are wondering what is up with their stuff, he seems flippant and accusatory. I don't think I will back or order anything from them again. They have lost me as a customer unless their coins are worth the wait.

You're not the only one. Some guy in their comments was missing the 3 coin from his collector set, and Minion commented "Oh, it'd be too expensive for us to ship it out to you...but we can toss it in if you order something else from our webstore!" That's skeevy as gently caress.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jedit posted:

How many did you order? I was in for 280 coins - I wanted 10 of each, plus extras of values that might theoretically see use - and they all showed up this morning.

Not many, I ordered two of the one-of-each-coin collector sets and only received one of them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

bdurso posted:

I ordered 1200 coins, so if mine ever arrive and you can not reach satisfaction with Minion, it should be no problem for me to ship you a set.

1) Why in god's name did you order 1200 coins??

2) You are truly a goon's goon, and may the dice fall even in your favor. Minion still hasn't replied to my "I'd kinda prefer to get the thing I gave you money for" message, so I'll give it a couple weeks and see if anything just turns up in the mail.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Well Minion games is the gift that keeps on giving. I got my second Space Coins collectors set in the mail today...and it was missing 3 2 of the coins. I can't wait for them to try to tell me "oh it's not cost effective for us to send them out to you, but if you order something else from our store we can put them in with that order". I'm starting to think I should have taken the refund and cut my losses.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 17, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So Minion Games is full of even more vitriol than I could have imagined...I posted a public comment stating my displeasure with how fulfillment had been handled and the like, and they responded with the following:

Minion Games posted:

Jason, there are no 100,000 to send. We lost money on your order twice and offered a refund and you still find the need to come here and bitch and even complain about spelling. There are very few collectors sets and so we cannot send you more as they are going to other orders.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I love that "We already lost money on your order twice!" is apparently my fault

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bieeardo posted:

"We didn't anticipate the vagaries of shipping, so we didn't make extras," was good, but that definitely took the cake.

My question becomes "Why is this the only coin you've run out of?", followed shortly by "Why didn't you just pack my orders at the same time to avoid all this?"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Gau posted:

The crazy part is that he could have said the exact same thing

and not been a complete and utter douchebag.

Its insane. The last update to the project says "Pretty much everything has been shipped, but we're waiting on tracking numbers and stuff. Don't e-mail us asking about them. Having backers nagging us just slows things down."

They literally told backers "Stop nagging us" about shipments that should have gone out months ago.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Eh, the tone of the PMs I had been getting from Minion were pretty dickish, so I decided to snark in kind.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bad Munki posted:

I really gotta ask: why didn't you just incorporate shipping costs into the pledges? Am I really supposed to pledge $15.76 for the $12 reward? Why not just make it a $16 pledge level?

From the looks of it, if I'm reading it correctly, after the campaign is over you have to then turn around and make another purchase for actually printing and shipping costs from OneBookShelf.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

7thBatallion posted:

Oy! I don't like parting with my poo poo. I really don't. But for a goon fellow TG nerd...

What coins do you need?

If you're willing, all I need is a single 2 and a single 100,000 coin, and that'll complete my set. Shoot me a PM and we can knock out details.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Has there been any word on retail availability of the Blue Dungeon Tiles post-Kickstarter? I'm in for a basic set, and I really would like more add-on tiles, but I don't want to pay for them until I know I'll be getting a decent amount of use out of them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Evil Mastermind posted:

Blue Dungeon Tiles will be adding some more pledge levels soon to cover the new and upcoming tile sets:

Right now getting at least 6 of every tile and the clear radial templates is $135 plus shipping. And Kevin confirmed that tiles will be available for purchase after the Kickstarter's over, so at least I don't feel like I have to buy all the sets at once now (even though I probably will :smithicide:).

Seems really late in the game to be revamping tier levels this much...and I was one of the guys asking in the comments if there would be an "all add-ons" option.

I honestly think the smart thing to do would be to stick with BASIC tier, get the one-of-each addon tile, and then buy post-Kickstarter for everything else.

EDIT: plus adding $5 to get the nifty PDF thing for print-and-play ability.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Sorry for the double post, but its a completely different issue:

Minion Games finally got around to sending out the Space Coins that they shorted me the first time around, but they ended up sending me 10-count bags instead of just single coins. So I have 9 spares each of the 2 and 100,000 denomination coins, if any goons also got shorted but were unable to get replacements from Minion, I'd be more than happy to hook you up. Just shoot me a PM or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

moths posted:

E: Why is the blue dungeon tiles guy restructuring his pledge levels?

There are so many add-ons now that it's getting unwieldy if you just want a "one of everything, please" pledge. The new pledge levels are supposed to cover that, but you can still just pledge for a basic set and do add-ons if you want.

• Locked thread