Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Time Bomb is basically the Ric Flair retirement angle, the gimmick is all about having just a few more great matches and maybe passing the torch before being forced to retire due to health concerns.
The original version was pointed in the right direction, but the revision Nathan whipped up was amazing. It was even true for what he did with the Foreigner. I personally thought my version was keen, but he moved a few words around and it sang.

I hope to convert more of the Wrestlehut goons but who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Board games are specific use cases. Rpgs are inherently about rules that follow unpredictable narrative.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

A resolution system should, once players understand it, allow them to grasp the probabilities of the world. This system is really complex to think about so you have to play mother-may-I with the DM, which takes you from narrative stance ("If I'm gonna take on Rocky's Fantastic (+6) boxing, I'm gonna need a Crooked Referee, an Adoring Crowd and another fate point") to "OK, so I have eight dice of boxing, and I need five successes, can I do that? Will getting to 10 dice be better than even? Do I need twelve? Where's the slide rule?"

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

If you offer more than $80 on upwork they send you a PDF on what outsourcing means

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

If you can treat permanent injuries, doesn't that mean they're temporary?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

clockworkjoe posted:

Kickstarter best practices discussion: I saw this discussion https://www.facebook.com/groups/KickstarterBestPractices/permalink/690500827758174/

Someone asks for advice on their upcoming KS and the first response is to make the goal an odd number - " Drop your goal by $300, $400 $600 or $700, it's too round a number, or raise it by any odd number that's not a 5 or 9" and goes on to explain that backers think "Oh hey look they just rounded up, they probably don't need that much why should I back this if they're lining their pockets with extra cash, sky is falling motif"

I've never thought about that aspect and wonder how big of a deal the goal is to potential backers.

Pricing Psychology Matters.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Has anyone played Dead Scare? I must've playtested a version of it before it was PbtA, but it's not doing much for me. Between having hitpoints and rolls-to-roll (on a 6-, it the grenade explodes...33% of the time!), it's another "2d6 seems easy enough!" kind of games.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I mean, there's Nerd Cafes and Boardgame Places. But they didn't build the building they're in.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'm not sure they needed to combine every geek social fallacy into one kickstarter, but there you go.

Can't believe this was written only 13 years ago. It feels like 17.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

They're also D6 based fight-em-ups with board control elements. Not identical but same genre.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

demota posted:

Man, that's weird. Are IP laws different in Italy or something?

They're actually MORE restrictive, having come about under the fascists in 41.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

They're not going to rewrite a pledge manager app for a small group of people.

*Puts on coffee*
Janet, clear my afternoon. I have to rewrite this app

*Goes to whiteboard*

code:
IF PURCHASE LEVEL = PHYSICAL
ASK FOR LOCATION 
But...how?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Two people paid $300 each to add a sketch to their pledge, so they're doing good there. And nine people will pay $100 for the core book.

The lack of ANY artwork brings it lower on my faith skill than The Demon Rush.

Maybe Fate Core d6 means 1-2 minus, 4-5 nothing, 5-6 plus?

But who am I to doubt the great Aaron Kamakawiwoole?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Lichtenstein posted:

Will Hindmarch. Two years late on Project: Dark, current standing record between updates regurgitating same two cut up images as "progress" is 168 days.

Yes, I am salty. The two other RPGs I've kickstarted (World Wide Wrestling: International Incident, Unknown Armies 3rd Ed) were almost ready to dump into dtp before their campaign have even ended.

We were really happy about how much of WWWRPG: II was ready for backers; I think we wrote The Road and formatted it within a WEEK of finishing backing, and the ashcan verson of II was available instantly or near instantly.

Write your game to the minimum amount of viability and use KS funds to make a better version and your players will be much, much happier.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

But what IS Outer Edge?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

"I start examining the trees."
Rolls a die
"Oh guys I know, we're on Pluto."

It's easier than that.
There are Dozens of Worlds and Dozens of Species, so if there's a Kepplar Dog, you're on Rodonia. If there's more than one species, it's Earth Neo Terra.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

grassy gnoll posted:

You can't fully articulate your point because it's something you're projecting onto an explicit criticism the things you're worried it will become.

If you liked this game, you may be interested in Upton R. R. Sinclair's The Jungle, a story about the glamor and glitz of owning a meat processing plant.
The named Savage Worlds after this post. The L was accidental

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Fumaofthelake posted:

You've created what I assume are high quality and informative materials that could be really good marketing but gated them behind paying. In that context the decision doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

You can pledge money, check it out, and unpledge. The cost to you is ~5 clicks.

inklesspen posted:

Even if you have a success or two under your belt, it's still pretty rare for a RPG project to not release the draft to all backers during the campaign run. Y'all can go "all you complainers are obviously not our target market" if you want, but it's imo foolish.

So although he has a track record, it doesn't matter anyway.

• Locked thread