Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
I have no idea if this is the correct place to post this, since the project I'm plugging is gaming-related, rather than an actual game. I'll totally remove this if it's inappropriate.

The company I work for, Pulp Gamer Media, is kickstarting a new webseries and book called Satyr Stein Homebrew. It's a show about creating fantasy, science-fiction, and table gaming themed beer.

And no, we're not just trying to stick the word "dwarf" on a bathroom still and rake in that sweet nerd cash. The show's host, Don Dehm, is an old SCA hand and works in medieval European traditions. He and his crew are trying to put as much research as possible into the recipes for regional, period, and thematic accuracy. We're also trying to pair our beer recipes with appropriate dishes for themed game evenings--like LARPs, SCA events, convention parties, live games like Betrayer's Banquet, etc. Or if you're just feeling cheeky and want to serve authentic mead to your players during the Royal Banquet or whatever to set the mood.

I don't even know. I play with the sort of people who Pinterest their D&D props and dress up for Wasteland Weekend. Maybe we're too niche a market?

Maybe take a look, see if this sort of thing is relevant to your interests?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

So Broken Loose: You've hit your halfway mark, but you're past the first week early-adoption phase, and you're hitting the dropoff point. You've probably got most if not all of your goon pledges in.

What's your next step in for promoting the campaign? I know you're angling to get a mid-campaign spike from Rahdo, but have you got anything else planned for promotion?

Like, I haven't seen any banner ads on BGG. Are you going without traditional advertising, or are you just saving your ad dollars for the final week push? Also, I noticed that you didn't get in this week's BGG Crowdfunding Round-Up.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

BL mentioned that he's working overtime on the art assets right now. He also mentioned in the board game thread that Rahdo has expressed interest in the game.

My completely baseless guess? He's rushing to finish an attractive, "video-ready" version of the Print-N-Play, so that he can bounce it off Rahdo and others for the next big push.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

:rip:
Here lies Broken Loose
Died in Childbirth

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Final Attack Update #5 posted:

1 BACKER REWARD INCOMING.

I hope you're all enjoying that demo, because things are heating up! All backer tiers from the $250 level upward will now receive an additional reward to everything already stated:

You will receive a Fornax H1 body pillow! This blushing beauty will be plaintively laying down next to you on a 2-sided cotton body pillow depicting both its front and back!

As stated, this backer reward will be retroactively applied to all tiers from Tiara Heart Spiral! on upward. For those of you on the lower tiers, don't fret! More cool stuff is coming for you, too!

BL, what the hell is even wrong with you. :syoon:

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

I would be lying if I said I didn't find it annoying that I don't have enough money to ask for money.

Eh, this is how investment has worked since investment capital has been a thing. Look on the bright side: at least you don't have to drop a couple thou for invitation to brunch with a trust fundee who wants to see how pretty you can beg.

I do think that, more than hard cash upfront, you're gonna get the most mileage out of the upcoming lead time and man-hours. (Yeah, that's a resource with a dollar value, but at least it's one you can theoretically generate in the coming months.) Finishing the art at a loss is gonna hurt, but if you can even do a full-art of the current PNP, then dorks like me will have an easier time showing the game off at stores and local cons. I can get many, many more butts in seats with colorful pictures of robots than I can with mostly-white cards covered in text. "The first bite is with the eye" and all that.

(Also, if and when you do a proto for Rahdo, don't print the stupid $300 chip sheets. Artscow/Printerstudio the cards and board, and send a label sheet for the chips and keys. Rahdo is more than willing to substitute his own components.)

Godspeed BL. I'll keep doing what I can on the ground.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 11, 2015

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

They really need to show the box they plan to put this game in. I feel as if that'll be a big thing.

If the box is make-or-break for you, I wouldn't hold my breath. I really like L99's stuff, but they absolutely suck at two things: Copy-editing their rulebooks, and designing their boxes and inserts.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

It also seems like a rather busy game. Lots of icons for utterly specific tasks and a strong possibility of it going off of the table. There definitely looks to be a lack of repeatability in the base game though and may have less replay than Betrayal, even if it's a more solid game mechanically.

The rules actually address the table-space issue: Since the continent map is functionally fixed, you're often directed to "reset" the board, clearing all the cards except for your current location. Three things trigger a reset (which we know of): Travelling across one of the difficult "stair icon" paths, using the Save-Game system, and overrunning your table space. This actually leads to some interesting conveyance/verisimilitude in the exploration mechanic. Like, you distinctly remember that you passed a cave/statue/temple like two days ago and five cards thataway, but...poo poo, how did I get there again?

As for replayability, the game relies on the sheer size of the explorable map, and trying to solve the different curses (three in the base game, three in the expansions). Like, the game is ultimately finite, given the general lack of randomness, but hopefully it'll take you quite some time to find that finite point.

I've been REALLY hype for this game...up until about a week ago, when Serious Poulp announced the Kickstarter Exclusive expansion. That poo poo puts a real sour taste in my mouth, and now I'm hesitant to support this skeezy pressure-sell tactic.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 1, 2015

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

It's getting to the pointy end, what are peoples thoughts on 7th Continent?

I bit like a sucker, because I am a rube.

The piles of heavy content exclusives are a huge loving dick move, though. I feel dirty giving them money, because it encourages these shady, manipulative practices.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Anniversary posted:

Codex talk: The free print and play is hosted in his web store and requires you put in billing information in order to get your hands on it.

Why?

Hacky webstore design.

That said, you don't need to put in real financial information. You input your billing address, hit "proceed," and it goes "oh, your cart is all free stuff, no payment method needed."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

Dice towers are primarily used for two purposes. The first is basically TG bling. The second is to prevent players who are good at sleight of hand from rigging their dice rolls.

If you don't care about bling and you don't have cheating players, no point in a dice tower.

There's also reason C: Drama. Our GM has a handmade dice tower shaped like a stack of three mimics (made by his wife as a clay-and-woodworking experiment), and he likes to use it for important or dramatic public rolls. Creates a nice nonverbal build-up of suspense, all like: Here are the dice that are gonna gently caress you, I am setting them in the upper basin so you can have a good look, okay three...two...one...there they go, out of my hands, aaaaaaaand--

Makes the players stew in their panic just a second or two longer. It's very effective.

• Locked thread