Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Bedlamdan posted:

It looks like Pundowski is getting involved with a kickstarter project!

Yes, he still goes by RPGPundit and the kickstarter contains a link to TheRPGSite. :ssh:

quote:

Grassroots projects like RAIDERS of R’LYEH…

What the gently caress are you even talking about? "Us vs. Them." It's always "Us vs. Them."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Just received the tracking information for my Fate dice shipment.

Got my Fate dice four days ago.

:v:

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Monte Cook presents a Monte Cook production created by Monte Cook (and Bruce Cordell): The Strange.

The three-minute pitch video is roughly one-third telling you about the actual loving game, one-third about how it's based on Numenera, and one-third about how Monte and Bruce are :krad: BFFs.

Ha. Ha. That is cool my hyoo-mon friend. :mitt:

It's awesome for two best buds to make a cool game together, but maybe if you can't act out natural dialogue for poo poo you shouldn't try.

I assume they're holding back some fantastic alternate worlds for later in the Kickstarter, because otherwise pitching a world-hopping game with two whole worlds is god drat stupid.

quote:

While the Strange could potentially be host to a multitude of recursions, we focus primarily on two--Ardeyn and Ruk--in addition to the prime world of Earth, because they are the most prominent and the first two discovered by humans. As your characters explore the Strange, they may find many more. GMs will be able to add their favorite fictional settings, brand new recursions of their own creation, or even past campaign worlds from other RPGs to help populate the Strange. The possibilities are endless!

Oh okay.

Here is the game's awful website full of busy space age menus.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 16, 2013

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Covok posted:

Looks like they won't have to worry about reaching their funding goal. 54,238 dollars by the time of this writing with over 37 days to go.

Yeah, I hear it was at something like $30k in the first five or six hours. It should be another money-printer, though I doubt it'll crack the pavement like Numenera.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Anyone with access to the playtest rules want to talk a bit more about this? I'm kind of hesitant to chuck in at $15 if it's not going to be particularly innovative.

You can throw in $1 for a draft PDF which looks more professional and complete than many final published products on DTRPG.

The art is the first thing that caught my attention; it's excellent throughout and all by the same person. The game-running and genre-emulation advice is good. The setting is written well enough, with some really fun bits here and there. The rules are a nice alternative to DIY but aren't innovative. The thing that departs most drastically from standard Fate Core rules is the kung fu system and it's the weakest part of the book. Apart from some eyebrow-raising clear imbalances in the example styles, the kung fu system's not terrible.

I haven't been following the RPG.net thread much at all, but I got the impression Jack is very interested in feedback. I'm just a little dubious about significant changes like I think the kung fu system could use when the draft looks like it's only a few steps away from printing.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Oct 29, 2013

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Also, regardless of the specific cost for a given OS, developing multiplatform applications is almost always much harder than single-platform software, and maintaining multiplatform apps is another extra pain in the rear end.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

It's for the nWoD Demon: the Descent.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I wasn't even thinking of Far West at the time. I just don't want to indirectly give work to a huge rear end in a top hat.

I was also the only one who said poo poo about it, and just the once briefly, but Skarka's immediate whine was about how I was "grandstanding while spearheading the usual RPG.net crowd." Also he couldn't help but mention that I am some nobody that he'd never heard of.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

malkav11 posted:

And is it actually a good enough game to warrant purchase in this day and age? (I strongly suspect it isn't, despite my nostalgia.)

Having played it off-and-on over the past few years, I'd say it holds up just fine. I certainly favor its lighter, easier pickup and play over things like Descent or even that Ravenloft D&D boardgame from a few years back. I don't play enough modern board games to make any other comparisons, though.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

So, does anyone know what exactly Cubicle 7 is actually doing for Far West? I kind of figured their involvement meant actual fulfillment in a timely manner, but that didn't happen regardless, and the past month has just been another hilarious string of ANY DAY NOWs from Skarka.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Evil Mastermind posted:

Another sign of the apocalypse happened and GMS actually sent out a PDF preview of Far West.

There are already comments about how it's kind of a weird mish-mash system. It's d20 OGL but has aspects like in Fate! Plus, character creation/management involves summing all your traits, multiplying by 1.5 (resulting in a minimum of 96 for starting characters), then spending those points on either learning martial arts, or piecemeal in-play on +4 bonuses on your d20 rolls.

Sounds like a quick, simple, straightforward system for wuxia western action! :suicide:

Apparently special powers and setting stuff are nice, fun and evocative, at least.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Most people are bound to live somewhere.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This is the only kind of kickstarter I'll consider backing. If there isn't a rules draft or demo or some other proof most of the writing is already done, I'm just gonna sit back and wait and see.

Speaking of interminable Kickstarters!

quote:

Hey there, folks --

Sorry for the lack of updates. I had intended a "keep quiet while I push to finish, and then just release" strategy, but life exploded a bit, and that turned out to be yet another not-good idea.

Thanks so much to everybody who has dropped me a line over the past few weeks, checking up on me, giving words of encouragement, etc. -- it has been very, very much appreciated.

OK, so the tl;dr version of this update: You'll have the PDF before Christmas.

To unpack that a bit more, for folks who'd like more detail: I expect to be delivering you the finished core rulebook in PDF at some point between now and mid-December. I'm actually shooting for sooner, rather than later (my last day of teaching my class is tomorrow, so I have a solid week during Thanksgiving break which I can devote to work -- and I have no plans for the holiday). In any case, it will be before the Christmas break (my oldest daughter is flying in to visit, so I will be done before then, so that I can actually spend time with her).

As a way to keep you in the loop, and (honestly) to give myself a daily goal of keeping things moving forward, I will be posting daily updates between now and delivery, letting you know exactly what I did that day. I apologize in advance to those who might feel that's a bit spammy -- you won't have to endure it for too long.

Thanks as always. To close out this update, here's a look at some artwork from the book that you might not have seen yet:

[art goes here, one of which a backer swears is just a Photoshop-filtered picture of Bruce Lee]

Talk to you again tomorrow,

Gareth-Michael Skarka
Lawrence, KS
23 November 2014

I think it's been about a month since he promised to stop doing updates and just get the thing done. I guess he couldn't resist his annual "by Christmas" promise of satisfaction. His dedication to "real soon now" is perverse.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Holy poo poo, I didn't think it'd be that bad.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This is hilarious. Is he doing those himself or did he pay someone for it?

I vaguely recall that he had some artist on board for the first year or so, but that guy bailed for ~reasons~ around the same time people who paid to get their faces poorly Photoshopped onto Photoshop-filtered tableaus started complaining the art looked like poo poo.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Evil Mastermind posted:

I am really tempted to go into the update comments and ask if he's going to pay and credit the owners of ll the pictures he's edited.

If no one else has done it, once I get home to Photoshop I'm going to make a composite or two for RPG.net. :v:

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I think this is enough:

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Also worth remembering that GMS stalks the people that complain about how unprofessional he is on social media, barging in to their G+/twitter/etc. conversations to tell them to cease and desist their conspiracy to ruin him by pointing out that he's unprofessional, which according to him is slander and libel. He'll then Internet detective their address and threaten to threaten to sue if they don't immediately leave the Internet.

He does this mostly on posts that have absolutely nothing to do with him, which he thinks are secretly people talking in code about him behind his back.

My favorite one of these was when GMS started sending "cease & desist" e-mail and posting smugly about Internet Detecting this guy's real address. Except it turns out he was harassing some random guy, because of course.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

It's entirely possible it's just one more step in his flailing attempts to build a vast TRANSMEDIA buzzword empire.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I'm sure media companies are chomping at the bit to get a piece of this valuable train wreck of a property. Didn't he also announce a tv show and other ridiculous daydream poo poo?

That's still on the schedule as far as I know. Just, he's got to get this RPG out to build heat!

EDIT: I think he actually did fulfill the short fiction anthology? Which, I mean, is built primarily of other people's work, so.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I'm a bit perplexed that he made the art a backer-only update on Kickstarter, when he also posted the update for all to see on his Far West webzone.

EDIT: Oh, I guess one of the pics is still exclusive content. It's the best one, too.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Yes. Just like this one!

:golfclap:

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Someone posted the original images on the Far West website asking da fuq.

GMS posted:

quote:

Did you license these or whats the deal?

Those were the reference photos that I based the drawings on, yes.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I really shouldn't have been surprised by how much worse he can somehow make this.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Sorry to continue making GBS threads up the thread with Far West, but I had to:

I had to stretch the original slightly to make it fit, but come on.

If he's really freehand tracing poo poo so faithfully, no loving wonder it's taking forever.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Might as well see if anyone wants a crack at identifying this one now that Hats has disturbed the peace.

The head looks familiar, but I couldn't place it with a cursory GIS so I didn't care to continue.

You know, as much as I've poo poo on Far West for what must be over a year now, I've always felt, to my own bizarre standards, that I was focused on specific actions and not the man behind them. But this little couple of tweets really changes that. Holy poo poo, what a whiny little man-child.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Rulebook and I are "ringleaders" because he saw us both talking about it once or twice I guess.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Echophonic posted:

What's it like to be the leader of a internet bullying ring?

It feels about as fulfilling as I would expect.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

As demonstrated earlier in the thread, it is also composed of genuine, original, hand-traced movie stills.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Flavivirus posted:

My kickstarter for Legacy: Life Among the Ruins is in its last week. We're reasonably likely to fund but it's not looking certain, so any help you're willing to give would be appreciated! If you're interested in an AW hack that does cool things with your character's history, culture and legacy, check it out. I can promise wholly original non-traced art, if it helps.

Sure, gently caress the curve for everyone else.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Haaaaaaa.

Far West is up on RPGNow!

As a PDF preorder.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

"What's that? Let me volunteer that I'm years late on another project. That will shut up your complaints and draw in new customers. Ho ho, we do have fun!"

He's also palling around in the Kicksnarker thread.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

El Estrago Bonito posted:

If it includes Wraith: The Great War it's totally wort it since that's one of the best supplements ever written for an RPG and somehow manages to dodge every single possible pitfall you'd imagine considering its a old school WW book about the holocaust.

I think you mean Charnel Houses? The Great War is WWI, which as a Wraith supplement/alt-core I seem to recall was fairly "meh".

EDIT: Oh wow I didn't realize they got around to making Charnel Houses PoD. They're really chewing through that old catalogue.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 4, 2014

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Nessus posted:

I recall Great War actually being better than core Wraith in a lot of ways, mostly because they simplified some of the details into more compact form in order to have more room for the Great War stuff. I really love Wraith, though, so I might be biased.

Oh, definitely GW benefited from having to pare down the word count, and also basically being a new edition. But it didn't significantly improve the frame work of the rule set, which is honestly pretty poo poo even by cWoD standards, and for me the rest of the book just didn't grab me.

quote:

I recall Charnel Houses being in that zone of 'this is quite a good RPG book and is treating the material surprisingly well. Do we really need a book on the holocaust though?' I thought the most interesting part was some of the metaplot stuff, including how the Ferrymen were intimating that if Stygia didn't do something about the Holocaust dead, the Ferrymen were entirely prepared to replace them with someone who would.

Yeah. Bruce Baugh (I think?) posted a short essay on G+ pretty much in response to some posts about this subject on RPG.net. He had some good advice about actually trying to game in the Holocaust. And I think it should totally be a thing out there, if it can be done well, and that's what Charnel Houses and Bruce Baugh's essay do. I still, personally, wouldn't want to do it.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Enough people to seriously impact revenue will print off a shittily formatted 120-page Word .doc of just rules, and then cancel their $1 pledge.

This is definitely a thing that will happen.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

That seems pretty cool, but I'm still excited for The Future when we have full-table MSPaint screens everywhere. Hopefully, my life and the economy last to the point that, even after the collapse of civilization, I can draw multi-layer dongs on any surface and apply the craquelure filter to them at whim.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Cassa posted:

So where's my copy of Far West? Wasn't it meant to be out now?

I believe it'll be late (again again again) after the 17th.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Evil Mastermind posted:

To absolutely nobody's surprise, GMS isn't going to make his release date of the 17th.

:ronpaul:IT'S HAPPENING:ronpaul:

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I wonder if Luikart is still an option for that reward.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Evil Mastermind posted:

On the plus side, someone on RPGNet made the Photoshopped Ninjas in Cowboy Hats RPG, so at least some good came of this.

quote:

Keep Being Awesome (you have nothing to prove)

:love:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Ettin posted:

So when this KS was announced last April I was a little skeptical. Six months after its promised release date, I just checked on these guys and boy was I right:

• They're "working on the final integration of the Fate Core rules", aka still writing the game's rules six months after it was supposed to be out

• "Expanded and reworked" mechanics include copy-pasting Numenera's gimmick

• Creator doesn't seem to understand Fate Core, talks about replacing and removing things Fate Core already did (because the wiki page he's copying uses outdated Dresden Files-era rules)

• Seriously, six months late.

He's still better at greyscale Photoshop art and deadlines than Skarka though so there's that.

quote:

For starters, there is no Trouble Aspect. There is now the High Concept with a Twist.

To get started just finish this sentence:

I am a [Adjective] [Vocation] who(se) [Character Twist].

Sample Characters: 

* I am an Obsessed Alienist who has Terrible Nightmares from Beyond

* I am a High Society Archeologist whose Partner Went Missing

* I am an Extrovert Researcher who Found a Hidden Magic Book

"I'm a researcher and I found a book" sure is a "twist!"

Zereth posted:

Is that last one a screenshot of the image editor he's using? :psylon:

Holy shitballs.

EDIT:

quote:

Attack and Defend actions are combined into using contests with active (or passive) opposition as they are the same mechanically, with the players just being on the opposing sides of the conflict.

quote:

Conflicts are reworked to be more streamlined with Maneuvers, Full Defense and Special Moves explained more inline with invoking aspects and contests and set up as examples of how to leverage existing rules.

Ahahahaha.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Dec 17, 2014

• Locked thread