Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Mike_V posted:

I'm still not sure why someone like Byron Allen hasn't bought the broadcast rights to HBCU athletics and tried to roll a bunch of stuff up into a Black Culture type streamer

Byron Allen’s entire model is based around spending the absolute lowest amount of money possible to sustain a channel and live sports are pricey to broadcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Truther Vandross posted:

Byron Allen’s entire model is based around spending the absolute lowest amount of money possible to sustain a channel and live sports are pricey to broadcast.

And lawsuits.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

DJExile posted:

To be local the whole day is pretty impressive in this day and age. Detroit isn’t a small market but they’re not exactly Chicago these days either. I’ll be fascinated to see who they get as hosts.

Whitlock just started licking his chops since he'll find a way to get content out of this either way.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Mike_V posted:

I'm still not sure why someone like Byron Allen hasn't bought the broadcast rights to HBCU athletics and tried to roll a bunch of stuff up into a Black Culture type streamer

This is exactly what the Grio is.

https://thegrio.com/about/

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

let us now salute the student broadcasters at Mississippi Valley State for going nuts at the team's win over Prairie View A&M last night to improve to 1-27.

https://twitter.com/mid_madness/status/1762337442705686923

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Bally Sports/DSG is not going away

tl,dr:

-Sinclair will no longer have any ownership of Bally Sports
-Bally Sports would not be available via Prime Video, but possibly via an Amazon Channel
-Carriage disputes should be resolved quickly
-Teams will not be paid as much as previously, though

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Edward Mass posted:

Bally Sports/DSG is not going away

tl,dr:

-Sinclair will no longer have any ownership of Bally Sports
-Bally Sports would not be available via Prime Video, but possibly via an Amazon Channel
-Carriage disputes should be resolved quickly
-Teams will not be paid as much as previously, though

There you have it; teams that aren't the Dodgers, Yankees, Mets, etc. are gonna now explicitly reference this when they cut spending (afaik they've been coy about talking about the declining RSN business as it relates to payroll so far)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

A lot of teams didn’t spend this winter, and if you take out the absurd amount the Dodgers spent then spending overall is not impressive

There are still three major FA’s on the market, and one of them is the reigning Cy Young winner

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

FlamingLiberal posted:

A lot of teams didn’t spend this winter, and if you take out the absurd amount the Dodgers spent then spending overall is not impressive

There are still three major FA’s on the market, and one of them is the reigning Cy Young winner

That's what I'm saying. The teams haven't said they're not spending because of RSN stuff, but now they're going to explicitly talk about it when pressed (which isn't really a valid excuse since the teams still make money, just a little less now)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hi there from the AL Central where everyone’s terrified of spending money anyway, except for one who does it but sucks rear end at doing it Chicago. If nothing else, hearing the RSN excuse will at least be a new and fresh one.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/itsmitchmarney/status/1763400740356116623?s=20

this is just gloriously unhinged

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I love when the stats and dates researchers get a bit scrappy.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

DJExile posted:

Hi there from the AL Central where everyone’s terrified of spending money anyway, except for one who does it but sucks rear end at doing it Chicago. If nothing else, hearing the RSN excuse will at least be a new and fresh one.

lmao the White Sox do not spend money, Benintendi 5/$75 was their richest ever. They also never ever pay for pitching, which is half of the goddamn roster.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

RIP Chris Mortensen.

gently caress Cancer.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Someone mentioned how many former ESPN major personalities died pretty young in the last few decades. Stuart Scott, John Saunders, John Clayton and now Chris Mortensen.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

i mean chris mortensen was like 72

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
John Clayton was only 67 when he died a few years back, he just looked at lot older.

Obligatory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvXRaSvxmqg

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

FlamingLiberal posted:

Someone mentioned how many former ESPN major personalities died pretty young in the last few decades. Stuart Scott, John Saunders, John Clayton and now Chris Mortensen.

Someone check Bristol for asbestos or such

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Someone check Bristol for asbestos or such

They all had information that could lead to the arrest of Hillary Clinton

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The older i get the more 70 doesn't seem old. However, having had some friends die tragically young I also think as much as dying at any point is terrible, if you make it to your 70's it was still a solid run. But watch, if i make it to 70 I'll be like "LET ME LIVE ANOTHER 25 PLEASE!!"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Apparently we have pro volleyball on Bally sports. I only found out because I flew next to two players just now.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Mr. Nice! posted:

Apparently we have pro volleyball on Bally sports. I only found out because I flew next to two players just now.

Regular or beach?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Regular or beach?

Regular. https://provolleyball.com

Got to bullshit with some vibe players. They’re really stoked about the league and are really happy to have a professional option in the USA. There seems to be pretty good competitive balance in the league.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Regular. https://provolleyball.com

Got to bullshit with some vibe players. They’re really stoked about the league and are really happy to have a professional option in the USA. There seems to be pretty good competitive balance in the league.

It's a pretty big deal from a friend and former Nebraska volleyball player's social media. I used to hang out with some of them and several had to go overseas to continue their careers.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
drat Bally Sports AZ folded when they lost the Suns but I would at least check out pro Volleyball. It’s one of my favorite Olympic sports.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://x.com/bristei/status/1765815292742033734?s=46

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Re-animate Jimmy the Greek with the power of AI

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

It's hilarious how often these channels get rebranded or nudged into different programming ideas.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Lockback posted:

Re-animate Jimmy the Greek with the power of AI

Well, that would definitely keep his racism intact.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://x.com/andrewmarchand/status/1765829956431491133?s=46

and that’s how they replace smackdown

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

soggybagel posted:

It's hilarious how often these channels get rebranded or nudged into different programming ideas.

Hell, I'm for TruTV becoming a full-time sports channel - it's not like Impractical Jokers can't move to TBS and retain its audience.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Edward Mass posted:

Hell, I'm for TruTV becoming a full-time sports channel - it's not like Impractical Jokers can't move to TBS and retain its audience.

But what about our jokes when March Madness comes around and everyone has to find where the hell TruTv is?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

But what about our jokes when March Madness comes around and everyone has to find where the hell TruTv is?

We'll still be able to make them. That poo poo won't change.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

Rename it CourtTV :v:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Did David Zaslav finally realize he owns too many channels that are just 24/7 reality crap?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

FlamingLiberal posted:

Did David Zaslav finally realize he owns too many channels that are just 24/7 reality crap?
Zaslav when it comes to reality crap
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUyVqEupFEs

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
ESPN+ is now free for Spectrum TV Select Plus subscribers.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The Learning Channel

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Posted without comment

https://twitter.com/stephenasmith/status/1766239271302684687?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

Rename it CourtTV :v:

This is one of those jokes so simple and good that I’m kind of mad I didn’t think of it myself