Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

DJExile posted:

Yeah Cincinnati is definitely a CBB market before it's an NFL market.

I lived in Cincy for like 6 years, most recently in like 2012. This was not my experience at all. I feel like people only cared about the Bengals. As a diehard Reds fan (and Bengals hater) it really pissed me off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
If she sued then ESPN would have to prove that they didn't lay her off because of her maternity leave, which quite frankly would be pretty easy to prove considering the number of other people who were laid off. Probably not worth it for her.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Does Jeter have the lowest dWAR in the history of baseball or am I misremembering?

I got in an argument a few years ago with an idiot Yankees fan who cited his Gold Gloves as proof that he was a great defensive player. Also he called me a nerd for citing such a LOSER GEEKY statistic like dWAR.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

DJExile posted:

Hey guys! Remember that football game that even the hardest of the hardcore football fans don't watch because it's total poo poo?

Well get fuckin' hype because now it's gonna be simulcast on both ABC and ESPN!

That's no big deal, Monday Night Football used to be on ABC, so it makes sense to go back th........OHHHHHHHHH you meant THAT game that nobody watches because its total poo poo. My bad.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Jerry should maybe focus on keeping his own kids out of jail before he starts telling other people how to live

Holy poo poo, he's 0 for 3! One more gently caress up and he'd have a golden sombrero.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

And a fair bit of the commentary is done in studio from the states I believe

I think you're thinking of the World Cup. The NBC announcers are nearly all British so it wouldn't really make sense for them to be watching it in a studio in the US.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The worst thing Fox ever did was use their lovely NFL theme for everything. I miss these 2 Fox themes:

College football
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oufx_tdJ19E

MLB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6__Xr3ouAI

The MLB one is more nostalgia from watching Reds games on Fox Sports Ohio back when I lived in Cincinnati, but the CFB theme is legitimately great in its own right and its a shame that it got eliminated before Fox really started broadcasting CFB on a regular basis with the rise of FS1 & FS2. Although I guess it maybe got used during that period when Fox had the BCS games?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Niwrad posted:

Beadle and Nolan are great but Mendoza is bad. I know people here like her but I just don't get it.

Also leave Beadle on the NBA show. She saved that show last year.

Mendoza is head and shoulders above every other baseball color guy. I know that's not saying much, but its where the love for Mendoza comes from. She actually analyzes what a pitcher is trying to do and points interesting things out instead of spitting out tired cliches and stories about when she was a player.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

all-Rush mixtape posted:

To be fair, that was a boring-rear end ASG.

A boring ASG, how rare.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

As I've stupidly ranted before? The NFL Today had this down to a science.

One anchor. One beat reporter who covers random players/teams in the headlines. One former coach/player to break down plays. One gambling/fantasy guy for the degenerate gambler demo. 22 minutes. Maybe air a "THIS WEEK IN THE PRO FOOTBALL" revival or a local pregame show before that even.

Not everyone can be the NBA on TNT. That's fine! Just stick to the above and the quality will improve.

How many times have different outlets tried to make a show that tries to emulate a bunch of dudes sitting around talking about sports? Few if any have succeeded, and the NBA on TNT I don't think ever set out to be that but just sort of evolved (or devolved) into that based on the assorted personalities. Goes to show that you can't force that poo poo. Chemistry is either there or it's not and people can see right through it if you try to force it.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The moment I realized Cowherd was completely bogeys instead of mostly bogus was like 6 or so years ago when Joey Votto was having an MVP caliber season and Cowherd made a claim that Votto was a product of a small ballpark before fans pointed out that Vottos numbers were better on the road. He still tried to argue it but it wasn't a very convincing argument.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Schremp Howard posted:

Not directly media but media-related: the Ravens are considering signing Colin Kaepernick and are consulting Ray Lewis on the matter. Yes, ask the guy who (allegedly) killed someone if it's a good idea to sign the guy who won't stand for the national anthem.

Even worse, Ray Lewis's advice to him was "Keep your activism private" which is......the opposite of activism.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Hockles posted:

That necklace isn't something a person usually wears outside of the bedroom...

Seems especially problematic when worn by an African American.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The really easy answer as to why they're doing the mega cast for OSU-IU and not a better matchup is that the mega cast ties up every single channel in their network. It makes sense to do it on a Thursday night when you have nothing else to air anyways than on the first Saturday of the season when you're probably airing 4 or 5 games simultaneously.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Peanut President posted:

Notre Dame will never join the Big 10 because they know they'd get hustled and all their horseshit legacy would go out the window and people would realize they're mid-tier at best. Like I'd bet good money on Purdue and Indiana beating Nortre Dame every single year.

This is a really dumb thing to say. Not because you're wrong about Notre Dame but because you're wrong about Purdue and Indiana. Like REALLY wrong.

Notre Dame is nowhere near as good as they once were, but they are miles beyond Indiana and Purdue which are garbage tier power 5 teams.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
God Bless America sucks as a song. The only thing that sucks worse is the loving Lee Greenwood song.

The continued non-use of America the Beautiful as a patriotic song is a travesty. The only sporting event I've ever been to that plays it is Notre Dame football home games where they play it as the flag is raised.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
That 3.6 rating doesn't include all the people that attempted to watch that stuttering, pixelated bullshit they slapped up on WatchESPN, right?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I see Watch ESPN is a steaming pile of poo poo again tonight.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
WatchESPN is usually pretty good for me or has been in the past when I watch college football. But the Thursday game and this Alabama FSU game have been the worst I've ever seen it.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I watched none of the game. Checked the score once. The NFL is trash. Get on my level. :smug:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
WatchESPN already an absolute train wreck. It's completely frozen and not working at all.

Did they also fire the engineers and IT guys that are supposed to keep this thing up and running?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

I've never had the Watch ESPN problems everyone seems to have but Fox Sports Go is always awful

I've never had WatchESPN problems before this season. First started seeing problems last weekend.

(I admittedly don't watch it much outside college football season)

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I can't wait to see the ratings for the late afternoon NFL games today. NBC has been covering Hurricane Irma live since 4:30 ET and I have to imagine that's drawing tons of viewers away from lovely NFL games.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Maybe I'm in the minority on this but I've always appreciated color commentators (or really any analyst) that is willing to share X's and O's insight rather than tired old cliches and generalizations. It's what makes that coach's film room portion of the College football Megacast so interesting.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

I know why he'd be fluent in English, Dutch, and Italian, but where does Portuguese come in for him?

Brazil, I'm guessing?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

howe_sam posted:

Max Kellerman goes in depth on the origins of systemic racism.
https://twitter.com/ShadowLeagueTSL/status/908721297215119360

:drat:

Preach, Max!

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Peanut President posted:

is Daytona really a major event though?

Ehhh it's up there. The only sporting events that have higher ratings are the highest rated NFL games and NFL Playoffs, the Final Four, SOME NBA Finals games, the Kentucky Derby, SOME World Series games, and the CFB National Championship. That's actually not that much.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

DJExile posted:

There was an interesting back-and-forth between University of Washington football coach Chris Petersen and ESPN, where Petersen bemoaned the late (for east coast) start times, saying it kept them out of the national discussion, east coast bias, etc etc. ESPN blowhard Kirk Herbstreit hit back, basically pulling the mob boss thing and saying Petersen should be thankful ESPN televises them at all. Both had legitimate points (to certain degrees) but here's where it gets bizarre.

This culminated in an astoundingly bush league graphic put up by ESPN during the Washington/Cal game, where the very network itself was basically telling Petersen to pipe down.

https://twitter.com/RJ_Writes/status/917004046074089472

I don't think Herbstreit had a legitimate point at all. Washington only had 3 games last year (4 if you count the PAC-12 championship) that started after 9ET and they made the playoffs just fine.

That graphic is also bullshit because good PAC-12 games almost never kick off earlier than 9ET on ESPN. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy when you're saving the good PAC-12 games for late at night after all the Big 10, SEC, and Big 12 games are over. There's literally nothing else for people to watch.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah, the USA games typically have higher ratings than the final. This is a huge loss for Fox. The USA-Portugal match in 2014 is the most watched soccer game in American history.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

For once I agree with Joe Buck, I would love to not have him call the World Series.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

MourningView posted:

Buck is fine, and way better than anyone else who has called games in the postseason. Throw the entire TBS broadcast team into the sea.

No he's not, but you're right about the rest. Unfortunately there aren't many national-level baseball broadcasters who are worth a drat.

I'd take Jon Miller in a split second though.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Vertical Lime posted:

oh my

https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/927604378013446144

e: it doesn't include fox sports, nevermind

It's all a ploy to get the 20th Century Fox fanfare back at the start of Star Wars movies.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Correct me if I’m wrong but this is the same guy that rips players for taking paternity leave.

So I can’t figure out whether this guy wants men to spend more or less time with their families.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

MourningView posted:

if they replaced a 2017 jets NFL game with Heidi would anyone even get mad

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Was the last row just leftover from the launch of the Xbox One X?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

No kidding. How in the hell do they expect him to do the prep required for that much time?

I mean, you could probably just read ESPN.com articles verbatim from 4-6am and no one would know or care.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Not to mention the Big Ten Network, the upcoming ACC Network, the SEC Network, and the Longhorn Network.

I imagine they’d divest a lot of the regional sports channels. Lord knows the cable providers are clamoring to buy as many channels with live exclusive content as possible to justify their continued existence. Even the Big Ten might be willing to purchase the other 51% of BTN now that they’re 10+ years into that venture.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

DJExile posted:

is big ten network seriously a decade old now :psyduck:

E: well son of a bitch, launched Aug 30, 2007.

I didn't even have to look it up.....the way I knew was that Michigan-App State was the first ever game on the BTN and that was '07.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Look at all you wrong people not mentioning The Best That Never Was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah I mean the Cavs, Reds, and Indians are all still on one of two Fox Sports channels in Ohio, along with the Blue Jackets. Thats a big deal because local blackout rules still apply for baseball (not sure about NBA blackout rules), meaning I must be a Fox Sports Ohio subscriber (aka a cable subscriber) to watch those teams in one form or another. That fact alone makes the Fox regional channels lucrative. And the amount of MLB teams that are carried on Fox owned stations is still pretty high. 15 teams are aired on Fox owned stations, including the Yankees (YES Network is 80% owned by Fox).