Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
A quick, and possibly obscure question in multiple parts: I'm going to be in Detroit for a week in June to watch the Tigers, but they're out of town for the last half of my trip. This just happens to coincide with England playing a cricket match. I'd like to watch a bit of the cricket while I'm out there, but as best I can tell, the England rights are shared between WatchESPN and something called ONE World Sports. How difficult is it going to be to access these on my laptop in my hotel then? Do I need to subscribe to ESPN to watch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Benne posted:

Speaking of Ian Darke, I wonder what he's going to do after Euro 2016. ESPN won't have the World Cup or Euros for at least a decade, and given how penny-pinching they've become I don't imagine they'll want to pay Darke to cover like 2 USMNT games a year.

Would he stay at ESPN, follow the World Cup to Fox, move to NBC and get in a literal duel with Arlo White for the top EPL game every week, or just go back to the UK?

Ian Darke is currently employed by BT Sport in the UK and works as their lead commentator. He and Martin Tyler can do World Cups and the Euros for the American networks, as well as USMNT games because those rights haven't been bought by satellite networks and won't be for the forseeable future unless there is a serious challenge to the law

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this does a better job of showing what has to be shown on free to air TV in the UK. The 2009 review at the bottom has essentially gutted a lot of live sport and moved it to pay TV under the previso that "highlights" are available on free to air TV. All that means is that I won't be able to see Jim Nantz in a BBC studio for The Open again

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Yes, yes he is

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Well after a week spent in "EMBRACE DEBATE" land, it's certainly something. First Take didn't seem to feature anything particularly "hot take"-y but Screaming A Smith is a man in severe need of two things: 1) an inbuilt volume switch and 2) the ability to realise that this opinions are just that and not facts. Skip's language just screams that he wants to be seen as street but he's just an embarrassing loving uncle. But, the worst thing about First Take? The loving intro sequence. Jesus H Christ the loving egos involved, and the fact that it was scripted, storyboarded and filmed and no-one at ESPN thought "this is the loving stupidest thing ever" beggars belief. As for the others, Highly Questionable is very good, PTI and ATH are what they are and His n Hers was something I'd not seen before but it was inoffensive fluff

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

So England lost to Iceland last night, and it seems like the American audience got more honest commentary than we Brits did

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

joshtothemaxx posted:

The best recap show is Match of the Day because it's nothing but highlights with maybe some analysis after showing 5-10 minutes of highlights for each of the 7-10 games.

Edit: and highlights are shown with their original commentary, so it really captures the excitement of the moment.

this is all true, but Match Of The Day 2 on Sunday's is starting to veer down hot taek territory. Another thing to bear in mind is there is a complete black out on highlights until 8pm on a Saturday (when Sky rerun an entire game from earlier in the day) and in most cases not until 10pm when Match Of the Day starts and Sky do their Match Choice thing

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

MourningView posted:

Oh yeah those were really good and turned me around on LeBatard after years of hating him.

I used to watch PTI and ATH a lot back when what was then NASN showed them in the UK, and LeBatard getting verbally beaten down by Tony in every answer never, ever got old. Highly Questionable is also loving awesome

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Clive Tyldesley is routinely called one of the worst soccer commentators in the UK - he infamously once said "no defender in the world would fancy going up against Andy Carroll" 18 minutes into Carroll's international debut - but when Man United won the Champions League he absolutely nailed it. My three favourites from that game are: "Name. On. The. Trophy", "What must Lothar Matthaus be thinking, and quite frankly, who cares" and "And Solskjaer has won it" and all from an completely insane last 120 seconds or so.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

davecrazy posted:

Chris Simms? lol nepotism.

if he sat in the booth and said nothing, he'd be an improvement on his dad

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

The "69! That's what he does best" call from last year may well have been peak Simms. He forgets the guys name, which is understandable in a game where there's a lot of substitutions. *BUT* by saying "that's what he does best", he is implying that he's made a mental note that this player makes this play often and makes it well and still can't remember his name and THEN he tops it off by making it into a sexual innuendo without at any point thinking through what he's about to say.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/MariottiSports/status/773014963010965504

https://twitter.com/notthefakeSVP/status/773045715853598720

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

So this happened...

https://twitter.com/JMKTV/status/776086911144300544

I mean, Skip's done good work in the past, why can't he be more like this and less a Tebow felating blowhard?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

See, that discussion between Max and Screaming looked like it was going to go somewhere, and why do I think it was strangled by a producer somewhere?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

It may be an unpopular opinion, but Joe Buck is starting to grow on me

https://twitter.com/Buck/status/784800360430903296

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Yesterday's "Super Sunday" offering was a double header of Middlesbrough vs Watford followed by Southampton vs Burnley, two games which even the supporters would struggle to define as "super". Tonight we get Liverpool vs Man United, then Chelsea vs United next week but the televised games so far this season have been beyond putrid, aside from maybe the first half of the Manchester derby

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Well for a game that has been over hyped for a fortnight, Liverpool vs United was a prime reason why people will just stop watching. It was a loving awful game, and even Tyler and Neville couldn't make it exciting, hell Neville sounded bored most of the night. But if they keep serving up dross like this, then only the die hards will keep watching

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I've probably watched 5 or 6 NFL games in person, including in the states and the game flows so much better in person. On the other hand, I was at a Tigers vs Indians game in 2011, Brad Penny starting which had what felt like a 20 minute top of one inning. It wasn't particularly high scoring, it just featured almost non-stop throws to keep the runner on first and after about a dozen of these I just got up and went to the stands to get a beer, so very tedious

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Verlander came within 5 outs of a no hitter the night before, this was karma reasserting itself

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Spoeank posted:

Even out the late and early games, allow broadcasts to move off 35-10 blowouts to another game, abolish TNF except thanksgiving, abolish 630 AM pacific bullshit London games. Add a second bye week (every team gets one weeks 4 - 10 and then another weeks 11 - 16). Keep the one good thing Goodell did with scheduling (week 17 all division games).

ESPN and ABC are the same put MNF on NBC.

Boom NFL is saved.

Even I don't watch the London games, and I live here. Also, knock off the prime time Thanksgiving game too, no-one wants that one

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Cool Buff Man posted:

Dang brits and your war on t-giving

look, it's technically OUR holiday and look what you've done to it. Turned it into a month early Christmas dinner! Also, Thursday evening football our time is a godsend

Unmerciful posted:

I do I'll take any excuse to not have to talk to my family

me too, but I was in Detroit for Thanksgiving 2013, and no-one in the bar I was in even registered the game was on

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Benne posted:

Speaking of La Liga, why the hell is El Clasico on at 7:15 a.m. PT this week? I need those 11:45 a.m. start times to accommodate my Saturday morning hangovers.

I think it's because La Liga wanted to put a big game in the traditional Premier League multi game window as competition

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Kornheiser verbally slapping down LeBetard at every point when he was covering for Wilbon was never not funny

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Why does ESPN keep shoving Mark May down people's throats?

I'll sound "MAD ONLINE HERE", but his analysis for why Washington was going to lose to 'Bama was this:

"WELL THEY'VE NEVER FACED A HOSTILE SEC CROWD"

I don't get this guy. I don't get why he has this job other than to play the role of delivering lovely hot takes to piss off people like me. off.

you mean this guy?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

So I noticed yesterday that CBS only had one Divisional game, FOX had two and NBC one, while FOX has the Superbowl, and each network got one Wildcard game. I assume that next year CBS or NBC will get two divisional games while the other networks get one each?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I guess it's a different animal of sorts, but cricket is generally commentated on TV by former players, but there's no clearly defined "play by play" or "analyst" roles, and it's usually just two guys bullshitting. On the radio, only Jonathan Agnew is a former player who does play by play, mainly because when he tried to be an analyst he was rubbish

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Sash! posted:

"Last night I was sitting on the porch when the dog ran right through the screen door--

--here's the 2-2 pitch, its a high breaking ball....and ball three--

--so now the wife is on me to replace the door before her sister visits."

Every baseball radio broadcast ever

this sounds like cricket on the radio or TV too

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think I asked about networks broadcasting a seemingly lopsided package of NFL playoff games a few weeks ago, so now I have another question: Any reason why the championship games are in strange time windows compared to the rest of the playoffs that aren't the Superbowl?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Notably, the games start after 12pm on the west coast

this was my original line of thinking too. Anyway, I hope the NFL doesn't do something silly and put two wildcard games and two divisional games into primetime. I kind of like being able to watch 3 out of the 4 games each playoff weekend due to being a dirty European

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Niwrad posted:

Was the mystery of what happened to Sports By Brooks ever solved?

someone whose name escapes me found the guy who founded SbB, but just as the article was going to go live it was pulled. The reason being "some people just don't want to be found"

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

algebra testes posted:

Apparently a 16 minute or so ride, depending on how horrific traffic is.

it's London, so it's going to be very horrific. He'd be better off getting the District line to Victoria then Victoria line to Seven Sisters

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/j...dium=socialflow

Harlan of course oozes excellence, but who's the BBC radio guy?

Something bizarrely awesome about having a Brit call American Football. Reminds me of opting for hearing Leigh Diffey (an aussie) call the last NASCAR race of the season over the :911: guys.

the BBC guy is Darren Fletcher who's day job is usually BT Sport's second soccer announcer after Ian Darke, but he's been doing commentary and presenting on the NFL ever since the BBC got the free to air part of the contract

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

My girlfriend is a freelance writer and has written some stuff for Alex 'Info Wars' Jones. It really shouldn't come as a shock that no, he isn't like that away from a camera - he even helped her out when she was having trouble with members of a certain celebrity "religion". Just don't ask him if he's Bill Hicks

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I can't find the clip, but when kind of famous BBC Radio 1 DJ Chris Moyles announced he was stepping down from his show, he asked his listeners to send out as many prank texts from pun laden names as they possibly could to local or national radio, just to see if people wouldn't clock on that they were in fact just doing it to make the DJs look stupid. One sent a text message into, I think Talksport under the pseudonym Toby Le Rone (Toblerone being a chocolate bar). The presenters not only clocked on that they had been pranked but then went on an extended rant about people sending in prank texts. Of course Moyles then played out they whole rant on his show

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Haven't a bunch of football websites reported transfers with names like I.P Freely?

of course, and then there's the "I've seen player X in a chip shop in Y"

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Right, I'm listening to Bomani Jones's radio show and they're doing an ad break and loving hell, the advert for Screaming A Smith's show is like double the volume of every other advert I've listened to

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

DJExile posted:

That's already part of it (live reads, graphic pop-ups, etc) but soccer is its own unique animal since there aren't really stoppages in play aside from halftime.

At some point with those you reach saturation and just increase prices on the spots themselves.

There's a ridiculous amount of in-game advertising in soccer, it's just on hoardings round the perimeter of the pitch that after a while you tend to forget that they're even there. It's also amusing when England play away at some random Balkan country and you see adverts on the digital hoardings for English companies

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I thought that was 'shopped :stare:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

corn on the cop posted:

how does SAS always manage to be the less stupid person on these roundtables

I don't know about that, but what I do know is that when I listen to Bomani Jones's radio show, SAS's adverts are a magnitude louder than anything else that is broadcast. Like, I have to actually turn the volume down on my PC because my speakers are going mental, yet they weren't for the preceding adverts and the main show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Going back to announcers and the like, I can really see how regional ones, especially MLB ones can get on each others nerves if you're working together for almost seven months of the year and six days a week. But nationally? Nah, you're not used that often. I also really don't get the obsession with having a number one announce team, a number two, etc. In the UK, Sky have almost done away with the concept and regularly mix and match who announces what, and you end up with the quirk of having Rob Hawthorne, seen as the number two play by play guy, commentating on the 2005 Champions League final alongside Andy Gray, who was seen as the number one colour guy. Mixing and matching, and giving your lower totem commentators bigger games will probably go a long way to making strained out of the booth relationships work.