Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

the whole gently caress YEAH FOX IN YOUR FACE thing sort of works since the US Open is now pretty traditionally at brutal courses. I'd love to instead see it at the Waste Management Open.

For those that don't follow golf, it's an early-season tournament in Arizona where nobody gives a gently caress, golfers high-five fans walking to their ball, most of the gallery are drunk/insane frat boys, golfers throw souvenirs into the crowd, it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah it's FSN. I live in Toledo and this happens every once in a while.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

It's kind of confusing.

I mean Columbus games should be in the Cleveland, Dayton, Akron, Canton, and Cincy markets. (I'll argue that Toledo is likely more Red Wings country, and the Penguins should be for Youngstown due to proximity).

If I can recall, while at a hotel in the Columbus area, I could receive both Reds, and Tribe games at the same time.

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/assets/3310263/NHL_TV_Markets.jpg

I mean according to this map, I could be on the border line to get both Penguins AND Jackets games. If that's the case allow me to get them or show me the game on NBCSN at least!

e: Apparently we live in Penguins country according to a coverage thing I entered in at NHL.com, yet we do not receive Root Sports in any capacity.

We're in a bit of a goofy spot where we get both Fox Sports Detroit and FS-Ohio networks, but yeah I don't know for the sake of broadcasts exactly who 'claims' Toledo. I want to say it's Detroit though.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ha, that's awesome. I've never seen that before.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Craig Sager's son stepped in for him and interviewed Popovich. It's pretty great. :unsmith:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

My understanding was that there's intention for STO to be the Cleveland Fox Sports channel but the current Cavs TV deal has to expire first. My former roommate interned at STO for a few years and says that's what he was told. Makes sense to me but who knows how true it is.

This is what I've heard as well. They still can't officially call it "Fox Sports ____" (whether that'd be Cleveland-specific or Ohio, I don't know) until the cavs deal dies, which I think is next year.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2014/05/16/ken-carman-to-the-national-media-stop-complaining/

Normally I'd say "Sports Talk Radio sucks", but Ken Carman is quite good on this rant.

drat this is great.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lou Somogyi of BlueandGoldIllustrated.com says Lou Holtz will retire from ESPN after this coming season.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FB Scoops posted:

Fox Sports: Erin Andrews has replaced Pam Oliver as the sideline reporter for FOX's top NFL crew, according to Richard Deitsch of SI.com. Oliver will work with FOX's No. 2 crew consisting of Kevin Burkhardt and John Lynch for the 2014 season, and then be removed from FOX's NFL coverage completely for 2015 and beyond.

Why is Pam Oliver getting phased out? I thought she worked pretty well.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

I tried reading the SI.com article on this but I am getting a 403 error. The link: http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/07/14/pam-oliver-erin-andrews-fox

edit: n/m working now

Man that's some bullshit. Nothing wrong with Erin Andrews but Pam did a hell of a job and she deserves better. That anonymous reporter probably has it nailed, sadly.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mack Brown is going to be a studio analyst on ESPN/ABC for college football season. Butch Davis will be doing the same on ESPN2.

Dave Wannstedt will be on Fox Sports and BTN

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

This apparently makes SAS the first "worthy" black host to work with Russo as well

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Richard Deitsch is saying Brady Quinn is now at CBS and will do color for some games with Tim Brando.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

He's not all bad, he gave the world this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wIm_41OIOM

lol what did you do to get that title

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

So this full-page ad appeared in this morning's Miami Herald.

hahahaha lebatard owns

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Benne posted:

I don't really follow MLS broadcasts outside the Sounders, are there any American announcers worth a drat there?

I watch it now and then and most of them range from generic inoffensive regional guys to "oh jesus gently caress shut up".

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

holy poo poo thank you so much

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ESPN posted:

The Federal Communications Commission voted 5-0 to eliminate its sports blackout rules Tuesday, but the NFL said that it doesn't plan to change the way its broadcasts are handled.

"NFL teams have made significant efforts in recent years to minimize blackouts," the NFL responded in a statement Tuesday. "The NFL is the only sports league that televises every one of its games on free, over-the-air television. The FCC's decision will not change that commitment for the foreseeable future."

The FCC vote eliminated rules that were implemented in 1975 to ensure that sports broadcasts would not hurt local ticket sales.

So we're just ignoring the Thursday night game then?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

It's on CBS now, at least for part of the season. Monday Night, on the other hand.

whoops :downs: knew I was forgetting one

and I didn't know that about the local markets either. Toledo's in kind of a funny place because we're this weird hybrid where we can be a detroit market, or our own market, or a Cleveland market.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Great White Hope posted:

I'm pretty sure this might be one of the definitions of hell.

The only time we get any attention is for presidential elections because we're the main swing city in a swing state. It's as exciting as it sounds :suicide:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That reminds me, with the government outlawing the NFL's blackout rules, would that stand to eventually change their market rules as well? Or is that an apples/oranges thing?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

They didn't actually outlaw the NFL's blackout rules, they're still in effect. The NFL just can't tell the networks "the government says you have to" when it's time to negotiate a new TV deal.

Aaaah OK that makes a lot more sense. I was wondering why so little attention seemed to be focused on it when the decision was made.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jim Nantz is the whitest motherfucker in broadcasting. Aikman and Simms basically never know what the gently caress. Buck is just boring and monotone as poo poo.

It's the CBS crew by a loving mile

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The NBA has now finally confirmed/admitted they'll have ad space sold on jerseys, going along with the new TV deal

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'll meet soccer halfway here. I can accept ads on soccer jerseys because there aren't any commercial breaks aside from halftime. Basketball has 10,000 timeouts though so that's gonna get old really fast.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I go to a ton of Toledo Walleye games (low level minor league hockey) and they and most of the teams in the league have ads on the jerseys. To be honest, they're not hard to look past after a couple games. The ice has ads on it as well. Now granted, this sort of stuff has gone along with minor leagues for a while now so I suppose there's a different feel to it versus going to a full fledged top level pro game. Still, it's not the worst thing. I just wanna watch hockey.

E: it definitely does give the jersey a cluttered look, I'll grant. The jerseys you buy from the stores don't have ads on them though.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Along those lines, I occasionally work as a photographer for Spartan Race when they're in the area and I see some of those are getting covered on NBCSN now. Lord knows why, but there you are.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jay Carney posted:

Isn't the entire game rigged for gambling purposes?

Isn't that basically every sport ever? :v:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Adam Schefter just tweeted the list of NFL games CBS and Fox are protecting from being selected for Sunday Night games. Kinda neat

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Holy poo poo, he's not wrong but he is painfully unfunny.

E: I want to sympathize with the guy but this sort of poo poo happens literally everywhere, to the point I just don't give a poo poo anymore, and it's really hard to find sympathy in a slapfight between basic cable shows.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 12, 2014

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

my favorite recent one is still Katie Nolan destroying Rick Reilly

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

So topic to bring up.

I saw a few people on my timeline ripping ESPN for not reporting the Cam Newton accident immediately and continuing to discuss the ramifications of Johnny Football starting for the Cleveland Browns.

Do you guys feel ESPN is at fault for not reporting on something like this or do you feel it's their responsibility to interrupt programming immediately for a situation like this?

I think it depends on the severity of the accident for one. From what it seems like though, that's pretty big news in the sports world and it is pretty surprising they didn't interrupt programming.

E: It might also depend on what's currently being aired. If it's just SportsCenter then yeah I'd have interrupted it. Do you know if ESPNNews immediately went to it?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The camera and mic feed cut off just a bit too late and caught Chris Berman's fantastic reaction to the pro bowl halftime

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

"Enjoy your show. Enjoy your life. Because it will be over one day, and nobody will care."

Holy poo poo :thurman:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ESPN won the rights to the world cup of hockey. Prepare to hear every loving game called by John Buccigross.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

fartknocker posted:

Someone tell me they still have Gary Thorne and Bill Clement stashed away somewhere. I want to relive my childhood. :pray:

Or maybe it'll be another chance for Steve Levy stupidly long overtimes?

It'll be Buccigross and I'll probably be sick of it five minutes in

I'd love it too but Clement hasn't been with ESPN for a long time, to my knowledge. He does occasional color commentary on CSN for Flyers games. Gary Thorne is mostly baseball these days (EDIT: I think he did call the Frozen Four for a few years though). I'd love Steve Levy to get back into the booth but I don't know if that's gonna happen.

The last 2 frozen fours, I honestly felt bad for Barry Melrose because the guy was trying his damndest to cover for Bucci (who was green as hell) and it just wasn't working.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

They brought that music back this year and oh my god I had so many flashbacks :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KreqAyhD1so

E: I will say I love the song ESPN uses for the non football/basketball tournaments

DJExile fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 4, 2015

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Benne posted:

Do they still have Barry Melrose locked up in a dungeon where they only let him out for 5 minutes a week whenever Sidney Crosby does something?

lol, you think ESPN devotes even 5 minutes a week to the NHL

:smith:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

http://deadspin.com/greg-anthonys-soliciting-charge-will-be-dropped-1685229578

Charges are being dropped against Greg Anthony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I went to a tiny rear end D-III college between Columbus and Cleveland and there were big rear end cricket games on the quad almost every Saturday morning. If it can catch on there, it can catch on anywhere.