Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MourningView posted:

Things have not gotten desperate enough for me to watch a 90s basketball game, give me pool or bowling instead.

Get the Australian football on.

Otherwise get a VPN to think you’re in Japan and fire up closed-doors Japanese baseball preseason games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

vice has a documentary up about chris benoit on youtube; it seems pretty fuckin soft on benoit (although it’s just the first part) but it’s pretty well-produced

It’s the first part of episode 1 of Dark Side of the Ring season 2. It’s a documentary series about, well, the dark backstage poo poo of pro wrestling. Season 1 included episodes on Macho Man and Ms Elizabeth, Bruiser Brody, the Montreal Screwjob, the Von Erichs, and the Fabulous Moolah. This season will have Benoit, New Jack, and the Brawl for All.

I know about most of these so I’m interested in catching up and seeing how they’re presented. If you’ve got the stomach for some dark and grim poo poo, it sounds like the first season was well received.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Robnoxious posted:

You gotta unleash the loving dragon.

gently caress it, I’m going deep

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DJExile posted:

Oh this is phenomenal lol

“We got the fear” my god Dan really is the grief eater

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DJExile posted:

Bomani bouncing up and down as he's giggling is just slaying me

Bomani keeping the hood tight to conceal the active Clyde Drexler look he’s got going, I see

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

quarantine is rough for people are balding and have textured hair

Bo’s made the joke on himself already (either on a podcast or twitter, can’t remember) so just thought it was a nice touch. And I fully empathize and relate to the situation.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Holy gently caress, as someone who is actively losing it that the Masters is going to be allegedly run in loving NOVEMBER WHAT THE HELL EVEN JUST CANCEL IT THE FLOWERS AND poo poo WILL BE ALL WRONG WHY ARE YOU LIKE THIS, I need that ‘86 rebroadcast in my life.

Considering the famous lengths Augusta will go to regarding their image, would you put it past them to make sure the flowers are correct?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

30 mil per day ... hachi machi. Never thought I see the day Disney would hemorrhage money

I wish I had 30 million total

That’s just turnover, think about how much in properties (Parks, hotels, they just got into cruises at the *perfect* time) they have that are closed worldwide. Disney has a capital stake in all of their properties except the two in Tokyo, so it’s a cash cow most of the time...

Wonder how much they recoup for ESPN from the sports leagues they partner with for the whole “we don’t have games to show” thing too. It’s been discussed more in England and other parts of Europe re: we must have matches to fulfill our broadcast contracts, but that will surely come up in the US as well. Wonder how much the terms will differ for leagues as well.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Lockback posted:

They'll figure it out, but it wouldn't be surprising if they have to sell off some properties to do it.

that would be the dumbest thing they could do. you lose the potential value in the future doing that.

smarter would be to load up on loans/financing to help cash flow, because it's cheap right now.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

This series has been really good but I feel like the final episode will be the least interesting

I guarantee this moment makes it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi0UNUqnPBM

El Gallinero Gros posted:

My guess is how they wasted Felix Hernandez

oh yeah, I'm sure the highlighted player will be King Felix, and they'll probably do the same "what other fanbase does this?!" questioning when they bring up the King's Court

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

jase1 posted:

Does the TNT crew do the slam dunk contests? If so my morning is booked.

The studio crew plus friends, those are always rolling shitshows of commentary.

I need to ask my friends in Korea which teams you should and should not cheer for, I’m useless at KBO.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Live NASCAR, too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MourningView posted:

Gronk is not even a little bit interesting. A Randy Moss doc would rule though.

Rand U doesn't count?

the guy who did Senna did one on Diego Maradona apparently as well, I need to track that one down.

I think Spencer Hall put the news of the Tom Brady doc best:

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/1263526133720629249

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Simmons has probably never seen non WWE wrestling, and he's a suckup to virtually every real athlete, even ones he's critical of like Isiah Thomas

Simmons might remember the nWo but definitely doesn’t remember the NWA. And yeah, he might bark at athletes in columns/podcasts but rolls right over when he gets them on.

The Sports Guy has absolutely become all he harangued against 15 years ago.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

soggybagel posted:

Watching the Lance doc. I’m 52 minutes in and it’s fine. You get some insight into who this guy was. I wish it was moving faster though.

Also something that sticks out about a lot of the 30 for 30/ESPN docs is they’re a bit like Marvel movies. A high basement but low ceiling. A lot of the docs adherence to a formula and this may be off/mean but a perfunctory adherence to the standard doc template hurts them.

All the docs they’ve done in the past decade, the ones that really transcend and are great do something interesting or are so much more focused. Hillsborough, OJ Made in America, June 17th 1994, and even The U which reveled in fun. A lot of the rest just can’t decide what they want to be. And lately the recent crop have just decided longer is better.

I think a perfect sports documentary is the HBO produced Broad Street Bullies. It tells the story of a team in an hour. Highs lows and humor. You go over that hour mark you better justify it. Hoop Dreams is 3 hours and literally tells the story of two boys becoming men over 4 and a half years. The breadth and scope of this undertaking is massive. They earn 3 hours. Some of these espn docs meander to a 1:45 run time and I’m like, cut this poo poo down to an hour.

I think specifically it's a "we've decided on a formula" issue. the original 30 for 30 series was so diverse, with filmmakers bringing stuff in that they really wanted to do, and some of the stories were so small as well (like the Baltimore Colts band) that it was easy to get wrapped up in them. The quality was real high. And it went from being a series to a style and format, and that's why some of the later ones have been like you said, high floor, low ceiling.

also shout out to Pony Excess from the original run too

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

A guy I know (who's also in sports journalism) did a 30 for 30 tournament to determine the best according to his Twitter followers. Two Escobars beat out The U in the final.

it's probably the right answer but man

The U spawned absolute years of gifs in TFF

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

Hot sauce Amin!

good for him!

Edward Mass posted:

Jason Whitlock has left FS1 to start his own thing.

it will likely do quite poorly

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Unfortunately I disagree, often when blowhards like him strike out on their own to be unfiltered, they do fine. Glenn Beck, Bill O'Reilly, Bill Simmons....all very rich people who got richer after leaving.

Beck, O'Reilly, and Simmons all had audiences. does Whitlock have an audience to bring with him to Patreon or wherever he finally goes?

plus I'd imagine he'd be on much bigger money at ESPN and Fox than he could make on his own.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I was more referring to The Ringer and Grantland getting major backing

Grantland got backing because Simmons got them to let him be EIC of a prestige writing site that may not do the traffic numbers, but it'll get people talking. Prestige content as a loss leader, effectively.

it worked, until ESPN decided they wanted to cut costs and get out of that sort of game.

Simmons spun the success of Grantland as an editorial outlet into getting HBO and others to invest in him doing it without ESPN, and with blackjack and hookers. He brought his podcast there from ESPN, they've ridden the wave of a shotgun blast of podcasting, and well here we are.

Let's look at Whitlock. While Simmons launched and ran and maintained Grantland until ESPN decided they wanted to cut losses, Whitlock tried to get a site off the ground at ESPN - The Undefeated - and was replaced as EIC before it even launched.

I'm not sure they're in comparable places.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The Aussie Rules being back is saving me :toot: and this round has actually had some close games, some upsets, and then whatever the gently caress Richmond-Collingwood was on Thursday night.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

one more day until the Premier League is back

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

algebra testes posted:

A cracking 10th v 11th match up with neither team facing Relegation or Qualifying for European Places.

What I'm saying is it'll probably be great because neither team gives a gently caress.

on the other hand, Burnley and possibly Zaha-less Palace is kind of the AFC South Thursday Night game of Premier League matches.

it's also a drat shame the Japanese league can't or won't get their games on ESPN/somebody else, there's been some good dumb baseball happening so far (unless you're a fan of a Kansai team RIP Hanshin's ugly-rear end uniforms this year).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Do Americans watch Australian Football? Do they know what is going on?

It’s bounced back and forth between niche Fox Sports channels and ESPN over the years. I think most of the diehards just have the Watch AFL pass. Normally it’s a curiosity in the American summer, but now has a bit higher profile considering American sports ain’t doing too hot.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the disposal rules are also important in Australian football--i like that every code of football seems to have diverged from the same rugby-like game to answer the question "how do we stop the game from becoming a slog when someone with the ball gets tackled and piled on"

it also allows half of the crowd to yell out "BALLLLLLLLLLL" to help inform the referees of decisions to be made

That's lifting people up (same with rugby union), not actually jumping from behind and putting your knees on dudes' shoulders

Vertical Lime posted:

only last year i bothered to find out what a mark was

it's a lot easier to rule what counts as a mark than what counts as a catch in american football

the mark rule is the catch rule's laid-back super chilled out brother. There's rules, but they allow it to be so loose it doesn't hurt play.

Lockback posted:

I've played it! It's getting more popular in the US and even if you don't know the rules it's reasonably easy to figure out who is probably winning and who is doing cool poo poo.

hell yeah USAFL is good poo poo, only problem is they keep staging nationals in weird spots that don't have much nightlife. alternatively in Asia, it's almost the opposite problem.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Maybe he

https://youtu.be/kfAhm19-gOA

misquoted Blazing Saddles?

Note: I don’t believe that’s the case.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I don’t know what ESPN’s up to but it’s probably “cutting expenses” because they shut down their ESPN Player app that carries some stuff (including college sports) in Asia, meaning it’s MENA, Africa and Europe only.

This is probably an issue for me alone but now there’s zero way to catch any football legally short of somehow getting access to AFN.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

ESPN is rapidly becoming a joke

They’re going to be stuck with an army of baby Mike Greenbergs and not realize why viewership falls along with it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

thrilla in vanilla posted:

I kind of stopped listening to lebatard during the start of the pandemic. Just isn’t the same without everyone instudio

they've got Dan, Stu and Mike back in-studio, so the drops and audio files are back. Chris got fired and still came to work Monday. And now Dan's out soon, so it's all kind of par for the course for the marching band to nowhere.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The radio show came to a roaring end as well, I’m excited to see how this crew operates as a pirate ship.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

What does DJ Khaled do?

Professional jet-ski racer

Like the Shutdown Fullcast was talking about a couple weeks ago!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah I was wondering why the show just kept going like that

The better question is why and how ESPN/Disney were so freaking generous to not just allow them to keep the specific feeds, but also the sound library and archive of clips.

I’m guessing it has to do with the show originally coming from radio into the ESPN fold and ownership of that as copyright, but yeah, Amin wishing they’d kept his “Amin knows basketball” song back at Disney is a joke wrapped around a very good question.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Elitist Bitch posted:

If they were going to buy a terrible fringe sport it seems like they'd get a better deal on NASCAR.

If they get NASCAR they also get IMSA, it’s a two-fer! :haw:

Deathlove posted:

SAG-AFTRA just smiled and they don't know why.

Absolutely this. And then your rasslin’ profit margin goes way the gently caress down.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DJExile posted:

I'm still gonna be pretty surprised if the games happen as scheduled, but I don't blame NBC for assuming they're on until officially told otherwise.

As somebody living in Tokyo, it’s entirely possible it won’t happen still.

I mean, Tokyo is still in a State of Emergency and no new visas (long-term or just stamps in the passport) are being given...five months before the Olympics are due to start.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DJExile posted:

Oh yeah I think it's still far more likely to be postponed, I'm just saying I don't blame the broadcasters for planning as if it's still on. It's a massive event to plan equipment and personnel for.

And none of those people are allowed in the country five months out!

And the head of the organizing group made stupid sexist remarks and has had to resign. More than 80% of the population wants it delayed or canceled. It’s going great!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

soggybagel posted:

I assume there is going to be some back room dealings so that every olympic athlete gets vaccinated in the next few months? I mean pretty much has to happen right?

Every athlete from the US, Australia, maybe Europe - easy. But what about the rest of the world?

Japan hasn’t even started to vaccinate the elderly. The general population isn’t expected until July. Are you suggesting Japan vaccinate athletes coming into the country over citizens and residents?

There have already needed to be reassurances for many countries that the vaccines don’t contain certain animal products, for our Muslim brothers and sisters.

That many people coming from around the world to one location sounds like a nightmare. Go look at how many soccer players have caught COVID in the fall international breaks.

Hate to get doom and gloom again, but it’s not looking positive.

soggybagel posted:

but on the other hand we're already seeing how unfair the vaccination rollout is right now so its just another check mark in the box of life is bullshit.

Not every country has rolled out vaccinations as haphazardly as the United States.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

soggybagel posted:

I don't actually give a poo poo if the olympics happen and think it shouldn't but its not insane to think the IOC will work out a deal where they work out deals to get people vaccinated. The IOC is corrupt! Many countries are corrupt and will make things happen...that said I agree completely its a logistical nightmare.

like of course the IOC is corrupt and they can ask every different country to try and vaccinate athletes, but between the global south not being able to acquire vaccines and the really bad press of athletes jumping the queue in the global north, it doesn't seem likely. and yes I know Corruption but it still seems like an impossible task because it's a small-ish number (Rio 2016 had ~11,000 athletes) spread out over a large number of responsible parties.

and no, I don't see Japan volunteering its vaccination supply for those athletes. who aren't allowed into the country even as of right now.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DJExile posted:

Cowherd hit that point again where he got really honest about how his show works, and aside from his obsession with Baker Mayfield, admitted he's got no real reason to troll smaller media markets.

https://twitter.com/BackAftaThis/status/1364663193688285190

Incredibly rich for a guy who you’d think would know better.

But then I refuse to get mad or think much about Cowherd anymore so.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The LeBatard one was what most major public orgs do for April Fools. Bless him, but it’s lame.

What Schefter does at the behest of Nolan and probably Pablo tbqh though is excellent

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Kibner posted:

It's actually a dark navy blue color behind the Pels logo :goonsay:, but I still get your point about the bad production. The other team colors they could have used were red, gold, or white.

yeah the 'bad production' point is the important part, others are doing better to match the scoring bug colors to what colors the team is wearing.

and especially for the NBA, with teams having three or four uniforms, wildly different colors, and relaxed rules on what they wear at home (used to always be white at home, that got thrown out a couple years ago), color coding becomes even more important. maybe I'm just an old man who isn't able to watch as regularly but I've felt lost watching some highlights recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

Does anyone have Aussie Rules rights this year?

I thought Fox Sports usually does? I just checked with USAFL, looks like three matches a round are on FS2.

Otherwise Watch AFL is reasonably priced ($150 USD full season) for the whole year and has every game live and on replay.