Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I only require two things from a sports broadcaster:

1) Genuinely enjoys covering games
2) Is not compelled to tell the viewers ever 3 minutes how much they're enjoying the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Joe Buck doesn't suck because he's monotone, Pat Summerall was monotone and he was great. Joe Buck sucks because his utter contempt for everything going on in front of him is so obvious.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

If hiring Regis wasn't enough to get FS1 rolling, then I'm not sure what else they could have done

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Spoeank posted:

If he's that insane about toast I'm genuinely curious how he hasn't murdered Phil Simms on air yet.

Phil Simms is the burnt toast of human beings.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Fox is assembling a murderer's row of people I would like to murder in a row

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Spoeank posted:

Maybe ESPN bleeding talent will cause them to turn away from hot take machines and towards actual analysis since it won't cost nearly as much to operahahahaha who am I kidding

Bayless is at least a talented troll, you could find the next Cowherd doing local AM radio in any shithole you decided to look; it blows my mind that Fox put down honest to God money to get him. He was just a name on a time slot you idiots!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Make a version of PTI with Katie Nolan and Michelle Beadle and call it Rag Time.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Pardon My Taint

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

DJExile posted:

Exactly two teams matter at all in the B1G for broadcast rights, if Fox gets right of first refusal to OSU and Michigan games then that's all they need.

Penn State

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Forget about Skip, we're just 8 and a half hours away from the premier of the motherfucking Bill Simmons Program!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

What is a passion play

It's literally a name for any play about Jesus' crucifiction, dating back to the middle ages (which is where the Mel Gibson movie gets its name), but in this context I believe it would connote overwrought player narratives.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

GobiasIndustries posted:

With all fairness to Bill, he did recently state that the shots of him for the promo were filmed before they had completely finalized what the show was going to be.

That being said, the show's probably gonna suck anyway, it sounds like it's gonna be some hot takes up front followed by 1-1 interviews and/or group discussion, so....basically a filmed version of his podcast which who cares, I never once thought his podcast would be improved with video. Though I'm guessing the show is going to steal some interesting guests that could have had a much better/more in-depth interview on the podcast, so that's just great.

Bill Simmons never has hot takes, everything in that promo was room temperature at best.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Trast posted:

Give his show to Katie Nolan.

A woman's place is in the Fox family

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I dunno, watching it now it's exactly what you think a Bill Simmons talk show would look like. Basically 70% ranking things and arguing about said rankings. As someone with a pretty high BS tolerance, the show isn't horrendous, it's just nothing.

I'm not sure what the good version of this show looks like, but I know that Simmons should never monologue for more than 60 seconds.

edit: does Affleck have a lazy eye? Something seemed off with him

edit 2: it's a nice set though

edit 3: I think you could hide Simmons' shortcomings as a tv presence best if you switched to a panel format where he's basically the moderator and he can talk to Chuck Klosterman and Wesley Morris and his old friend Jackie "Turd" O'Malley from Holy Cross all at once about race and the NHL or the latest dead wrestler or whatever.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 23, 2016

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

NC-17 posted:

Which guest will be Simmons's Artie Lange?

Surprisingly enough, Malcom Gladwell

edit: actually changing my answer, maybe unironically, to Lena Dunham

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

MourningView posted:

Dunks are objectively the best thing in sports so that seems about right

The puny dunk pales in comparison to the mighty home run slam

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

They did a sketch last night where he and Michael Rappaport argued about deflategate in Judge Joe Brown's court and I felt embarrassed for everyone involved and for myself for watching.

They ought to change the show where most of it is a panel format, but with a framing device where it's basically The Mary Tyler Moore Show starring the writers and with Simmons in Ted Knight's role as the no-nothing narcissistic doofus that somehow gets to be in front of the camera.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

General Dog posted:

They did a sketch last night where he and Michael Rappaport argued about deflategate in Judge Joe Brown's court and I felt embarrassed for everyone involved and for myself for watching.

They ought to change the show where most of it is a panel format, but with a framing device where it's basically The Mary Tyler Moore Show starring the writers and with Simmons in Ted Knight's role as the no-nothing narcissistic doofus that somehow gets to be in front of the camera.

Better idea, actually just replace it with reruns of The Mary Tyler Moore Show.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Allow me to prove what a good person I am by telling you what sports I enjoy and don't enjoy.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

At least Daily Fantasy is dead now, or at least has a greatly diminished advertising budget.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I always feared Craig James would kill again :smith:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It's ESPN2 as gently caress; it's good.

First ep drew 88,000 viewers which isn't bad for 1AM on ESPN2.

edit: I didn't post this in response to MV's post; I promise I didn't see it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Adun posted:

Wonder if this means no more ESPNers on PMT

That would be pretty lovely of ESPN since they don't seem to have any beef with PFT and Big Dog. There's a difference between not wanting to be in business with Barstool and not letting any of your employees even talk to them.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Adun posted:

ESPN’s stance seems to be ‘we don’t want to be associated with Barstool’. Employees showing up on a Barstool podcast would seem to go against that

When Berman goes to Chub-ee's Gentleman's Club, does that make ESPN associated with said establishment?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Would this mean there could be one streaming service that basically just offers all the sports? Does it mean we could actually get a version of Goal Line that's worth a poo poo?

MourningView posted:

The internet has taught me that apparently monopolies are actually very good because it means wolverine can finally be in the same movie as Thor now.

I wonder if the MCU was just a giant decade-long ploy to make these mergers more tenable to the public.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 7, 2017

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

June 17, 1994 is pretty good. If I remember right, there are no talking heads, it's all just broadcast footage from the day edited together chronologically. Reminds me of those History Channel docs like 102 Minutes that Changed America and 3 Shots that Changed America

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

This Weinberger fella seems like a real jerk!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

EvanTH posted:

Hah gotta love some Tradition NFL Locker Room Talk™. It's wrong for us Outsiders to weigh in, as we don't understand that pro football has a long tradition of so-called "jock jests", where one might do something wild like calling up your teammate and leaving a voicemail where you tell them, "Hey, wassup, you half-friend of the family piece of poo poo. I saw you on Twitter, you been training 10 weeks. I’ll poo poo in your fuckin’ mouth. I’m gonna slap your fuckin’ mouth, I’m gonna slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. gently caress you, you’re still a rookie. I’ll kill you.”

Who are we to judge, really? Which one of us hasn't personally bullied a friend or acquaintance from work into the psych ward?

EvanTH posted:

Richie Incognito still plays professional football on an NFL team.

To be honest he feels kind of quaint in 2017.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

So are we going to get an a la carte ESPN/FOX sports streaming service now?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Dexo posted:

Fox sports is still owned by the Murdoch's

Ah, I didn't realize that. So network tv FOX, FS1, FS2 (and Fox News?) are all still under the old umbrella. Is there a good breakdown anywhere of what Disney is getting and what they aren't?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

What are the odds that part of the voicemail is Berman telling her she can go BACK BACK BACK BACK to Africa

"I'm sorry if my comments were misconstrued, but I am not a racist. In fact I have many friends who are BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK "

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm watching the NCAA women's championship right now, and ESPN's in-game coverage of a serious injury for one of Baylor's players is loving disgusting. They held a split screen of her being attended to and her parents looking on in horror for like 2 straight minutes.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

I think cable is more likely to survive if they just hitched itself to the "on demand/app" wagon over the current/dying model of "Hey pay us 85 bucks for reruns of "BONES" on TNT"

Starting to wonder how viable some of these cable channels are going forward by the way.

ESPN has a model that will keep them sustainable for the future. But some of these others..man.

Yeah, it seems like we're just heading toward a bunch of competing content libraries and a few live event streaming services, and probably some of the content libraries and streaming services get married. Pay Disney $70 a month and get Hulu, all things ESPN, and Disney+. Pay AT&T and get the Turner movie library, TNT's current sports offerings, and HBO, and if AT&T is your phone provider maybe you get those for free. Maybe Turner makes a play for some college football rights in a few years too.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Would be great if some of these mega conglomerates would combine their drat streaming services already but I don’t see it happening.

They will when they get serious about killing off the competition.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

MourningView posted:

I've said this a bunch of times but I have no idea how Warner doesn't have a TV gig, he's a handsome famous QB and he's actually good at calling games.

*Extremely boomer voice* It's because he's a Christian

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

YAW YAW LIKE TO LADLE A LITTLE BLOOD OF THE INNOCENT ON MAH GUMBO

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Declan MacManus posted:

i mean the general capitalism friendly hbo corporate line as a broader criticism of last week tonight not anything specific to the clip or the nba

it functions on the same “let’s talk about the symptoms of global economic collapse without addressing the core crisis” that a lot of tedtalks suffer from, with admittedly punchier writing

It would be pretty boring to just come out and say :capitalism: every week. Sometimes it's better to leave the subtext as subtext.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Declan MacManus posted:

i guess so but that doesn't stop him from doing the "hurr hurr orange man bad" schtick every week either

Not to throw punches after the bell, but I don't know if that's really fair. There is a hearty serving of "Trump bad", but I think most of the features make it pretty clear that whatever the broken system at hand is has been broken for a long time.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think he's better than he used to be, but he doesn't seem to enjoy sports very much, which is kind of a problem.

On the football side, I think he'd benefit from being paired with someone with a bit more personality than Troy Aikman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

So maybe he was just a bad employee