Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It sounds like a tough break for her; sounds like she possibly had a legitimate grievance if ESPN is actually disregarding her contract. While it’s unfortunate for her to frame it as a race thing, it doesn’t seem like something that’s beyond the pale to spitball about in a private conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Kibner posted:

It's ok to casually espouse racist beliefs in private conversations?

What was the racist belief espoused? It seems she was expressing frustration with and questioning the motivations of her bosses, not with her coworkers. The idea that ESPN management might do dumb things doesn’t seem inherently racist or especially controversial.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 4, 2021

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Dexo posted:

Not really, This is standard white person behavior where they think there is no way a black person could have actually been better than them to get the job, and instead it must be affirmative action/diversity/quotas or whatever other loving thing they need to tell themselves to make themselves feel oppressed and not to blame.

If it was just about the loving contract, then you should go to your representation and lawyers and fight it out there. But nope, straight to "she's black so she got the job"

Maybe it’s baseless, but everyone is going to reach for straws to justify why they got snubbed professionally. Nobody wants to believe they just weren’t good enough. So I think it’s a tough beat to reach for that when venting to a friend or acquaintance and then have it publicized and get castigated for it. I don’t think it’s evidence of extraordinary racial animus in her heart. Maybe just the ordinary kind.

On the other hand, you gotta know there’s a risk in anything you say out loud to anyone.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 4, 2021

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Dexo posted:

You don't think these things said behind closed doors don't make their way to the person they are talking about. Because I can tell you from loving experience they do in one way or another.

It certainly made it back to her in this case

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Poor locker room culture at ESPN

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

England being in the final was enough to draw me as a first-time watcher.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The ongoing success or failure of Barstool sports seems pretty insignificant in the grad scheme of things.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Was surprised about Jalen Rose getting let go, but I also didn't know they'd let Jacoby go at the end of this year.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The big "ESPNBET" tab that's appeared on the ESPN.com homepage got me wondering- do any of the major sports media sites have an accessibility function for gambling addicts where its possible to turn off any links to betting sites and maybe hide all betting lines from upcoming game graphics? Seems like it would be a nice gesture, if maybe a lot of work.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t know why we are building a straw man to protect Jimmy Kimmel but goons have died on stranger hills I suppose

He used to be a doughy, misogynistic edgelord and now he's conventionally attractive and an accepted member of polite society; he's an aspirational figure for goons.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Flozell Adams?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

DJExile posted:

gotta say I figured GeneralDog would be the first one to white knight Whitlock

At his core he's still just a petulant low-rent sports page hack like Jay Mariotti or Bill Plaschke, which which I don't think people on any part of the political spectrum have much time for these days.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Remember kids, there's nothing "cool" about any punter, and when we start pumping up guys like McAfee or Araiza, nothing good can come of it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’m sure it’ll be consumer focused, fairly priced, and won’t have insane blackout locks in place at all!

I mean, blackouts aren’t a problem for YouTube TV or Hulu + Live TV or Sling, so I don’t know why they would be for this.

That said, the price point would probably have to be below $40/mo for me to switch away from YouTube TV since that platform has a track record of actually working.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 7, 2024

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Is Nance the one with the laminated card with instructions on how he wants his toast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

harperdc posted:

and with giving a tie to a student during the Final Four, right?

I actually kind of liked that one