Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BWV posted:

NOT Kobe Bryant!

Listening to his take on Whitlock and while I'm enjoying him roast one of the world's all time morons, it feels like we are currently in peak Sports Media Chat (Media Apex Mountain, if you will). I get that the Rodgers thing became news and this poo poo does big numbers online but it feels like everywhere I look/listen is just Sport Take Guys becoming Sports Media Take Guys.

I don't love it. And it's not even like I'm missing The Sports, I just find it can get so self involved and sucks all the air out of everything. Keep it moving people!

I will NEVER complain about Jason Whitlock getting ethered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I will NEVER complain about Jason Whitlock getting ethered.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1745276418458796136?s=46

:drat:

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

does the guy who looks like a rapa nui statue come to life ever talk?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/DragonflyJonez/status/1034972469831127041

Never Forget

One of the best tweets ever.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Let them fight meme

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I’m a fan of this edit

https://twitter.com/killasznkam/status/1745266301948584232

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I watched the entire thing and hoooooooooly poo poo does SAS go in, and Whitlock has a few toadies on Twitter saying SAS doesn't address anything, but highlights include:

-Whitlock apparently begged SAS to come work for him when he was trying to start The Undefeated and trying to make it "the black Grantland". SAS apparently literally has emails of Whitlock begging him to come work with him, and tells the story of Whitlock trying to get other people to convince SAS to talk to him. SAS claims to have receipts and frankly in this case I 100% believe him.
-SAS pointing out that NO ONE will work with Whitlock. Namedrops Jemele Hill, Skip Bayless, Chris Broussard, and others.
-SAS has an honorary doctorate from WSSU, points out his work with HBCUs, and apparently he and others have collaborated on scholarship funding worth many, many millions of dollars and affecting thousands of students which is obviously more value than Whitlock has ever given to anything.
-Literally, and I do mean literally, calls Whitlock a bitch, a bastard, a piece of poo poo, and Cain. loving CAIN.
-Brings up the fact that Whitlock doesn't even try to discuss sports anymore, that he's basically the sports media equivalent of a drama YouTuber because no one gives a gently caress about what he has to say on anything of substance. SAS didn't use those words but he may as well have and he's right.
-Essentially just says Whitlock is an opportunist for profit, which again, no lies detected.
-Specifically mentions Broussard as someone who's basically a saint (SAS says if Broussard wasn't in sports, SAS thinks he'd probably be a man of the cloth) and even he can't loving stand Whitlock.
-Points out how MULTIPLE heads of both ESPN and Fox also cannot abide the fucker.
-SAS LITERALLY HAS IT IN HIS CONTRACT that he'll never work with Whitlock. :lol:
-Basically says if Whitlock had anything of value to say he'd still have a platform, and you can hate SAS all you want, but at least he brings something to the table that breeds success within the field (more or less what SAS says, not what I'm saying, though I think he's pretty much right). Points out he's destroying Whitlock's YouTube sub count on something that's a hobby SAS loses money on in like, less than a year compared to what Whitlock has amassed in several years and is his entire career because he can't get work anywhere because he's a piece of poo poo and nobody likes him.

There's obviously petty, grandstanding SAS-ness in there, but considering who he's taking down, it's wildly entertaining, and on this particular subject SAS tells zero lies.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
https://x.com/BaileyCarlin/status/1745251865061662949?s=20

this thread's politics. mine included

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1745486571946521006?s=46&t=N0fz65wLEKglu9TyofS2Yw

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The whole thing's remarkable in many ways but man I was expecting at least some of the big animated SAS but nope, dude is in complete, unsettling, dead-serious calm almost the whole way and man everything he says hits all the harder.

quote:

He’s the dude that’s going to have a funeral and ain’t gonna be no pallbearers.

:thurman:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
He talked for like an hour about Whitlock and didn't even really say anything that bad about him when there is just a TON of poo poo he could have brought up. It's just a petty personal feud. Also LMAO at him texting every day with Mark Levin and admitting that.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 11, 2024

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

That's kinda crazy but the rule saying on air talent doesn't get to be included when a show wins is a stupid one.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

yep

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1745512776703803514?s=46

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

mcmagic posted:

He talked for like an hour about Whitlock and didn't even really say anything that bad about him when there is just a TON of poo poo he could have brought up. It's just a petty personal feud. Also LMAO at him texting every day with Mark Levin and admitting that.

He didn't even use the words Uncle Tom to describe Whitlock. It was Smith dancing around the idea for 45 minutes which is the most Stephen A confrontation imaginable.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

I dunno, IMO he said plenty considering he was probably skirting around what he couldn't say without REALLY pissing off his bosses. Plus hearing him repeatedly call him a piece of poo poo extremely SAS-ishly is worth the price of admission IMO.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

gotta say I figured GeneralDog would be the first one to white knight Whitlock

also lol

Awful Announcing posted:

[Shannon] Sharpe proceeded to note that he’s not alone in ignoring Whitlock, claiming Outkick founder and conservative radio host Clay Travis doesn’t pay him any attention either.

“Me and Clay Travis, we don’t have anything in common,” Sharpe noted. “Clay Travis don’t eff with the dude that Stephen A. was talking about. That should tell you everything you need to know. Clay Travis don’t rock with him. And I had my issues with Clay Travis.”

that is loving hilarious that even Clay Travis wants nothing to do with the guy

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

https://x.com/ItsMikeHill/status/1745276164162347190?s=20

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
The Lafayette market also got a deal done so now the entire state of Louisiana and the Gulf South areas of MS, AL, and part of FL finally get the Pels games. Games were restricted to only the greater NOLA area before this. Only took 20 loving years to expand!

https://twitter.com/rondaadonn/status/1745515738264203413?s=20

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

DJExile posted:

At his core he's still just a petulant low-rent sports page hack like Jay Mariotti or Bill Plaschke, which which I don't think people on any part of the political spectrum have much time for these days.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
It was funny when SAS specifically tried to make sure he didn’t say anything bad about The Blaze but still said Whitlock only works there because he can’t get a job anywhere else lol.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
Look I’m no fan of Plaschke but he’s def not in the Mariotti/Whitlock class

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

also lol

that is loving hilarious that even Clay Travis wants nothing to do with the guy

Holy gently caress, that is BAD. How can you possibly be too big of a piece of poo poo for CLAY TRAVIS?!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/LeBatardShow/status/1745476563397738755

Dan being dressed as Richard Simmons while giving what's clearly a very heartfelt response to it all is just incredibly surreal

quote:

Le Batard later revealed that the only time he had ever used John Skipper’s personal phone number when he was the president of ESPN was to vouch for Whitlock before the company rehired him in 2013. Whitlock’s second stint at “The Worldwide Leader” lasted just two years and included his tumultuous run as the editor-in-chief of The Undefeated.

As for Le Batard’s role in the Smith-Whitlock feud, Smith said that Le Batard and Hall of Fame point guard Isiah Thomas had reached out to him in an attempt to extend an olive branch on Whitlock’s behalf following their falling out. Le Batard, however, disputed Smith’s version of the story, stating that he had reached out on his own volition as a friend of Whitlock’s.

Regardless of the specifics — Le Batard is admittedly hazy on what even caused the dispute in the first place — it’s clear that the Meadowlark Media co-founder still has a soft spot for Whitlock, as he took a reserved approach while discussing Smith’s comments on Thursday. That care, however, has seemingly gone unreciprocated by Whitlock, despite Le Batard’s efforts to reach out to his former friend as recently as a month ago.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Why does LeBatard have like 15 people in the studio with him?

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Post-podcast Zumba same reason he's dressed like Richard Simmons

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

mcmagic posted:

That’s become his whole thing. It’s gotten to the point of being unlistenable at times

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Peak LeBatard was when it was at the Clevelander and it was Dan and Stu and the shipping container with a single open seat for a guest. And when he would send Chris Cote out to the ocean or they made Dan run down the road. There is just too loving much going on now.

Also, what the gently caress is up with ATH? Other than Plaschke and Blackistone who are these people? Not just today I’ve tried to watch it and the only time I enjoy it is when Emily Kaplan is on.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Douchebag posted:

Also, what the gently caress is up with ATH? Other than Plaschke and Blackistone who are these people? Not just today I’ve tried to watch it and the only time I enjoy it is when Emily Kaplan is on.

Lmao had the same reaction watching it. I guess because of the explosion of podcasts and NFL live and such most of the people are too busy doing other things.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I applaud Around the Horn for not using the same talking heads they've used for 20 years, but the new folks don't have as big of personalities.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I appreciate Kevin Clark as a talking head and a writer, but he peaked when he was repeatedly roasted by Phil Simms on his old Ringer show

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
https://twitter.com/cjzero/status/1745937494107951181

pawwwwwwwwwwlllllllllllll stay outta polatacks stick to sports paaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

mcmagic posted:

They have their own separate company now, so they have hired a lot of newer people that they are promoting to go on their other shows.

Apparently there is a rotation depending on the day, but usually Mon, Tues, Wed, Fri it's at least Dan and Stu plus others.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/AndrewMarchand/status/1745963938636820966

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Does this mean I won't be able to get away from Mel Kiper even if I turn on the NFL network stream!?!?!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Just when you thought they couldn't get worse on NFL news...

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
CTE has suddenly been cured and we will hear no more about it

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

mcmagic posted:

Does this mean I won't be able to get away from Mel Kiper even if I turn on the NFL network stream!?!?!

AI will make sure his hair continues delivering wrong predictions after his body is dust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

This seems like a really bad idea