Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

FuzzySkinner posted:

In terms of the "Radio" thing, I've been waiting for that for the longest time. If the NFL were to ever do that, I'd be more than willing to pay "x-amount of money" to have that package on my television.

Yeah the radio thing would be amazing as a Titans fan.

I would love to hear the natural sounds of the game thing too in hockey, everybody's been saying that for years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i don't think gus was the problem in MMA. the problem was that he was (by and large) calling lovely, irrelevant matches. he's always been good for big moments so he'll be fine for big games/matches in soccer/mma once he gets used to them

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Some of the problem hardcore fans have with them is that he ONLY does national games now. Back when he did Devils games, he had two pretty distinct announcing styles. He certainly got excited with the Devils, but he toned down a lot of the stuff that he does for the national game. He can call a really good game without using the stuff on NBC that irks people with him.

But again, compare him to the other big four national announcers. I like him a lot better than some of the guys FOX and CBS have for NFL/MLB/NBA.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
what the hell is tsn doing adding three channels now that they've lost the hockey contract

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
summerall was great because his voice was like a beautiful rusty trumpet

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Crazy Ted posted:

better that than a beautifully rusty trombone

speak for yourself

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

soggybagel posted:

They're getting their own show that will likely fill that slot. Ask me anything. I worked on Live and am likely out of a job on the 15th.

what are they gonna do after ufc fights on fs1? what's the postfight gonna be like

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Anals of History posted:

Now it's Norm McDonald.

isn't he a huge gambler though? i would figure he knows a fair amount about the nfl

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i watch sportscenter while i fall asleep because it's good background noise while i read. i stream it in my roku from my family's account though so I'm not sure if that counts.

maybe I'm just dumb and like highlight shows but I've considered paying for cable just so i can get nhl network to watch their recap show so i don't have to manually find the highlights. also i like nasal spray ads

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Peanut President posted:

Sling's Sports package has NHL network.

you are a loving hero. the last time i looked they didn't have it. now I'm definitely subbing

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i really like mike and am sad to see him go. he's kind of like bob cole in that he's really good at calling big moments but he's not the best day to day or when it's not great.

still though he's better than anyone else who does MMA and much better than other guys in other sports in similar roles like nantz and buck.

i really hope it's not jin loving rome replacing him though

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i am one of probably three titans fans that exist so i watched romos debut and yeah he was pretty good i thought

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

michael drilbon

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

Man i'd love to be a fly on the wall for that training

SULLY! check out the rack on the smokah getting the tv set up for this gay meeting

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
remove cotton-pickin from the announcer lingo? what a gyp

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i've heard cotton-pickin' a bunch in Tennessee and it's normally from very old folks or middle aged dudes trying to be folksy but jeeze that's not a word announcers ought to be using. i feel like it's in the same category as gyp where people don't really think about it until it's pointed out to them. but oof that's a bad clip

DO YALL WANT A BOXC fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 12, 2018

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Peanut President posted:

No, they should do a serious break down of Space Jam as if it really happened.

Barkley: Shut Up and Jam Gaiden is canon, no?

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
overwatch is very fun to watch and i had a good time at the finals for 30 bucks (louder than any Islanders game at the barclays center lol)

but i have no idea why anyone who didn't play the game fairly regularly would watch it. but it's fun for those into that sort of thing. not sure why ESPN is into it when Blizzard has stated they're really just trying to target people who play the game first, and there's probably not a big venn diagram between those folks and "ESPN watchers"

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

lmao

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i get that it's impossible without flex scheduling but it feels like monday night games suck rear end like 80% of the time

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
that poo poo is scary. when i was a kid in massachusetts i did the scoreboard for my brothers' hockey games. a lot of the old rinks up there have open penalty boxes and the glass for the timekeeper isn't covered on the sides. so one of my brothers' defensemen slapped the puck out on a penalty kill right at my head and it came about that close to whopping me.

my dad got hit with a clear off a wrist shot coaching and it still broke a bunch of his teeth. i'm surprised more folks don't get hurt on it honestly

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I feel the same about comebackers, beanballs and foul liners in baseball. The fact that only one guy's ever died from a beanball amazes me, especially with the smoke some pitchers throw.

i got my finger smashed as a sophomore in high school by playing up at third base against a 6'5" 290lb kid who hit a screamer. tried to catch it with two hands and mistimed it. my ring finger is still hosed up

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
good for stephen. he is funnier and more likable than anyone else doing that thing.

lmao at that snoop clip

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfOB3jzfpoU

NBC did the same poo poo with the ESPN theme, the 90s ESPN theme was great

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpbM8djgzwM

i like john williams but he's no sam spence

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

R.D. Mangles posted:

THE MOTHER loving AUTUMN WIND IS A GODDAMN PIRATE

soggybagel posted:

E: My favorite Sam Spence is definitely The Equalizer though.

the best Sam Spence theme is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEZ8VBwM0Rg

or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehsoUAecDgQ

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Vertical Lime posted:

berman still hasn't gotten over how the nbc sunday night contract meant espn had to end the show

i don't blame him

me either. berman has his faults but he was really good at being a belligerent idiotic sports guy recapping the day's games. i used to watch that every week, NBC's doesn't have the music and is not as good

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

MourningView posted:

Berman and prime time always sucked, stay woke

there was a kid i played ice hockey with/against that would loudly yell WHAAAP every time he deked someone, which was incredibly funny and cool

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

harperdc posted:

Once I learned that Jon Bois was one of the minds behind The Dugout, it all made so much more sense.

I loved the dugout years ago. where'd you learn that? any articles about it?

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Ace Jameson posted:

I feel like Buffalo is always up there in the top markets regardless of matchup, those people fuckin’ love hockey

canada's dingle berry

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
nah lol Kaner had himself a doozy in Madison in addition to the cab thing:

https://deadspin.com/reconstructing-patrick-kanes-drunken-weekend-in-madison-5909246

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Troy Queef posted:

The "Skip (or in this case Max) I want to ADDRESS this issue" tweet actually happened today: https://deadspin.com/panicked-first...eadspin_twitter

was just about to post this lmfao, i really thought his next sentence was going to be it

https://twitter.com/Hegelbon/status/492741034749620224?s=20

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

it's just perfect

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Edward Mass posted:

I'm still waiting for the day NHL Network can be streamed, hopefully on the NBC Sports app.

sling has it iirc, i think ya gotta pay like 40 a month for that package

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i wore my titans hat through the airports today and had people randomly saying "great game!" amd "awesome job!" so i had a feeling people watched it.

feela incredibly weird to hear people acknowledging the titans despite living in east tennessee

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
romo is incredibly good, good for him

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
One thing I really like about Romo is that he's not sanctimonious, like at all. he's very fun to listen to and lightens the tone of the game. it's amazing that listening to a loving jim nantz game is now like the least sanctimonious broadcast in the league

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
mods if you see a new account called Richard in Manhattan posting ranking polls every day please don't ban me:

https://twitter.com/backaftathis/status/1271632967039881216?s=21

cannot stop listening to these calls

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
man my italian uncle got me a baggio jersey when that tournament was going on and one of my earliest memories is people talking about that kick everywhere, or at least it seemed like it. looking forward to that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

god drat