Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
After all the amusing ads for Hulu and its live sports, Dame and the Blazers seem to have no home for live broadcasts this season. Also sucks if you wanted to get in on the ground floor of Kraken fandom but live in the PNW.

https://www.blazersedge.com/2021/10/12/22723438/television-blazers-root-sports-directv-youtube-hulu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

harperdc posted:

what about cable? :v: specifically the host broadcaster, ROOT Sports, doesn't have a deal with DirecTV, YouTubeTV, or Hulu, or Dish Network on satellite.

would it be possible that getting a VPN and the NBA/NHL OTT platforms be cheaper and easier? it's loving ridiculous that it's gotten to this point in the streaming/broadcast wars.

I am one of those lucky jerks who has access to a Spectrum login from a subscriber who I’m pretty sure gets ROOT Sports, unless it’s not part of the default plan. My parents don’t really do sports, and I’m not going to ask them to pay more for stuff I can stream off of pirate sites.

Mostly, I’m laughing that one of Hulu’s spokesmen for live sports is on a team that’s not shown on Hulu live sports at the moment.

Shout out again to Dorna for having had a mostly solid MotoGP video subscription option since before everyone did NordVPN ads on their YouTubes. And Willow.tv, who are impossible to cancel once you sign up, but will feed you all the high quality live cricket you can eat.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Rick posted:

I have a certain affinity for Detroit sports that I can't honestly explain.

Are the Tigers any good? I'm trying to parse out how Javy Baez decided on 6 years in Detroit.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Henchman of Santa posted:

Honestly most devastated that I can’t watch Jeopardy now because it’s on a local ABC affiliate. I guess I’ll just switch to Hulu live because it’s the same price that YTTV was.

Can you pick it up OTA? I got a cheap flat antenna for Jeopardy, but I live in a city with strong OTA signals, and my TV handles digital cable like a champ. Sometimes football games come through in higher fidelity than streaming online.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Henchman of Santa posted:

I record a bunch and then watch them with my partner later.

That’s nice :3:

My parents used to DVR them so we could skip the commercials.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Thaddius the Large posted:

I don’t know about this dramatization but the books they’re based on are absolutely fantastic

If it's on PBS, I bet it's super wholesome. I went to visit my parents a few years back, and they got hooked on a similarly themed show set in a rural part of the UK, and I kept texting people all, "I am watching the gentlest TV show ever and it's such a nice change of pace."

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Bird in a Blender posted:

It's extremely dumb, and I don't know how every AD in the conference didn't immediately push back.

The dude seems like he was setting himself up to ride the right wing grift train. He owns a restaurant too, maybe he thinks this will drum up business from all the aggrieved white people in Bozeman.

Let them fight. Preferably to the death.

My birth town is one of the most beautiful places on the planet, and there is almost nothing that could even get me to go visit it at this point. Yellowstone supervolcano when? Just wipe it off the planet, it’s a loss.

This is so loving upsetting.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Bird in a Blender posted:

Same. I’m surprised the pro bowl still drew that many viewers. It is the most pointless of the already pointless all star games.

My dad's random football texts, and the reminder that he's always said, "the best games are the playoffs," mean I've paid the most attention to the NFL in the past couple of months than I have in a while.

On top of having experienced a brain-breaking event a decade-ish ago where falling asleep in front of the NFL Channel's combine coverage was the most soothing thing possible for reasons I cannot explain.

Even I didn't bother with any of the pro bowl this year.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

DJExile posted:

Pro sports yes, but that and Saturday are huge days for college football.

Can confirm, Black Friday shopping in Eugene, Oregon is an entirely different experience, because everyone who's not stuck at work is at the Civil War game.

Still blows my mind that the "cross state" rivalry is two schools within like an hour of each other.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Adobe has analytics?

And people trust them?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Ugh, I just want Gary, Keith, and Ron.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Will this change the broadcast teams doing commentary on games? Or will they just push the regular teams onto whatever platform it is that day?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

R.D. Mangles posted:

Apple and Peacock have their own crews.

:negative: gently caress that.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

soggybagel posted:

The black widow one sounds cool. I know nothing about her but I remember seeing her on ESPN all the time. The ravens one, when they inevitably gloss over the Ray Lewis stuff will suck.

Oh drat, she was our favorite among my college friends who’d stay up late and watch ESPN: the Ocho on the regular. None of us knew poo poo all about the sports we were watching, even pool, which most of us allegedly knew how to play. But she seemed so cool and unflappable that anytime there was pool on, we’d be yelling down the hall for everyone in the dorm to come watch.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
The UFC already has lucrative contracts through connections to Abu Dhabi and Russia/Dagestan. Trying to play ball with the haus of Saud isn’t really in their best interests.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
There were rumors that they would fund Valentino Rossi’s teams, but I’m not sure it made it past the rumor stage before the backlash got untenable for him. My hot take is Uccio was doing some shady poo poo behind Vale’s back, but I do so love a good Italian motorcycle racing drama story.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

For those who don’t live within 10 hours drive of where that took place, it’s such a big deal that yesterday, if you crossed over the border from Idaho, the interstate emergency signs on I-84 told you there was a track event in Eugene. Freaked me out because I couldn’t parse what a track event in Eugene meant as I was about to drive into potentially sketchy conditions around Ladd Canyon, but I’m not originally from here and I don’t have Steve Prefontaine permanently tattooed in my brain.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Mahoning posted:

God I hate this sort of language that removes any blame. “No way around that”. As if it’s a conscious force of it’s own and not a cynical choice made by greedy billionaires.

I loving hate Canzano and wish he’d gently caress off out of Oregon sports sooner than later. During COVID in early to mid 2020, he was in the Oregonian on a regular basis shouting that we should reopen the schools and get pro sports back on track because SPORTS UBER ALLES. I had to stop reading OregonLive because every time I saw his byline, I wanted to throw my phone.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

howe_sam posted:

https://twitter.com/umphreysmcgee/status/1560627653140422658
I don't get this, like at all. It's. It's not like there are enough Umphrey's fans to meaningfully drive subs for Marquee.

There's probably a dedicated Umphrey's fan on the staff somewhere who made it happen. Source, I have several coworkers who spend all their free time flying to Umphrey's shows, who still have to explain who the gently caress they're going to see on a regular basis. But they'd cut a bitch to make sure they get their Umphrey's time.

Ninja edit: I still have never listened to a single song of theirs, despite sitting next to one of said superfans for almost a year in the past.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Holy poo poo.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Not wrong! That game was absurd.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

I had to rewind it because I couldn’t hear him over the brightness of his veneers.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Mike_V posted:

how often do the real lovely games on ESPN networks not get national announcers? the mizzou v MVSU game has the arena feed with the mizzou radio announcers

They sent ESPN out to Montana for the Cat-Griz game this year.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
My favorite blackout fuckery was when the NBA was playing in The Orlando Bubble, and "home" Blazers games were still blacked out in Portland.

The gently caress you want me to do, NBA? loving fly to Florida and break the bubble in order to watch the loving games?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

GoatSeeGuy posted:

(One guy got so pissed when HBO finally did it he used his own equipment to override HBO's signal)

One of the dorm buildings at my college had an HBO descrambler that someone had hidden in the walls, and for well over a decade one of the selling points for moving into that building was, "Free cable WITH HBO!"

Until the IT team was running upgraded ethernet infrastructure over the summer, and found the thing. If another group's supervisor hadn't come by while we were doing the work, we would have just shoved it back in place, but once building management knew where it was, welp.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

DJExile posted:

in other news, whooboy

lol, I mean, the marketing was, "Hi, I'm Post Malone, and I'm here on behalf of the Utah tourism department!" Yeah, Utah has some mountains and poo poo, that's cool. So, basketball? No, let's talk about skiing with a guy who likes Pokemon instead.

I like the NBA, I like seeing NBA players do stupid poo poo, and all star games are a guilty pleasure of mine, and I still skipped it. I guess Dame did a thing that was neat?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Kalli posted:

It's pretty trivial to just watch the best players do their thing these days, which just kinda kills the magic of all star games. Add in that the players are visibly not giving a poo poo and welp.

My best idea is, thinking about this from the NFL's perspective, to just get more kids involved. Throw Nickelodeon at it, turn it into a family event so older players will bring their kids, and build a bunch of events off of that. Shlock works a lot better with kids.

The other upside is not playing a full-fat NFL game (with players unfamiliar with each other) means less risk of injuries. Ideally, that'd make for more participation?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

And the US Open. This explains why it wouldn't load non ESPN+ matches for me earlier today.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Spencer dropping a Korova reference I am dead. Thank you.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Nybble posted:

F1’s is/was a 15 second loop of various race track noises (pit stops, car go vroom, another car go vrooom) but played with a serene vibe. kinda nice background music, wonder if I can find it.

Sounds like the MLB "zen" segments they started doing last season. Just soothing, slow motion baseball ambiance. It's nice.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Can't wait for the UFC to broadcast early prelims on this new thing, then prelims on ESPN+, then the main card ESPN2, topped by a no-hope no-future middleweight main event fight night in the Apex.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

harperdc posted:

I gave it a shot last year, it was really lovely when I had the time on match weeks to watch, but holy poo poo I have hit my breaking point with the Timbers front office right now.

I’m not re-subscribing to the full pass just to start frustrated. I know the standard Apple TV+ gets you some games, I’ll see what’s on offer, and if by some miracle Portland starts playing like prime Wenger Arsenal then I’ll jump in then.

You should ping me if they get that good. I've stopped following them, and my teammates at work seem to be doing the same. Pretty sad, given how so many of us were invested in the Timbers before the management were revealed to be inveterate shitweasels.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Thaddius the Large posted:

Jump ship to the Thorns! The new owners seem more like bog standard billionaire jerks than complete loons, and you only need *checks notes* 4 separate streaming services to watch their games this season? Jfc

Are they still giving away free tickets if you fill up at Shell stations? Always found it funny that one of the top level sports teams here gets treated like a high school team needing to do bake sales. And I still won't buy overpriced gas when there are so many other options around.

Thorns are cool, I should get a scarf.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Edward Mass posted:

ESPN+ is now free for Spectrum TV Select Plus subscribers.

Spectrum has also been cutting off password sharing.

Thanks for stealing money from my parents for years, extra cool of you to cut me off for trying to watch pro wrestling once a week

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

TheWevel posted:

the indiana salesforce

I hate how accurate this is. :smithcloud:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
It'd be better if it felt like a sincere bit, but it's just a man being clueless about famous people. He really needs a straight man to play that off of, but that's not how grid walk reporters operate.

Makes me wonder whose buried bodies he knows about.