Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

achillesforever6 posted:

BTW where ROOT Sports fall in the grand scheme of things?

Wikipedia says ROOT is used to be a couple Fox Sports ______ before a rebrand, so, FOX (Sports).

CaptainYesterday posted:

Where the gently caress is my CSN Houston? :argh:

CSN is owned by Comcast, and Comcast owns NBC, so, NBC (Sports).

edit: I may or may not get around to doing an effortpost about the different sports the networks own and the talking heads they employ to cover them. I'm extremely lazy though and going back to school at the end of the week, so :effort:

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

MourningView posted:

The answer to what they should air is always Team Handball. I have no idea when the season actually is but neither does anyone else. Just throw it on whenever you have nothing else. No one is going to know better.

Either that or more replays of World's Strongest Man.

I remember when ESPN showed Magic tournaments on TV. That needs to be brought back.

And more work for Gary Thorne

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Kibner posted:

Oh no, I may actually have to listen to Van Pelt now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spwU1gigns8

A pro-click

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

How hard is it for FBS to copy the FCS playoff structure?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

no

Is this an anniversary or something or did this twitterperson decide to bring this up just because

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

BasicFunk posted:

Honestly, I feel like the Atlanta/burnt/Sherman jokes are overused. It seems to pop up every time an Atlanta team loses at something.

The Atlanta Flames ruled

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

FOX already owns 49% of the BTN so this is no big surprise

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

:getin:

Wonder why tho

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Up Circle posted:

Yea man how do you even get into playing hockey is there a secret club or something?

:canada:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

FS1 really should have followed NBC and gobbled up all the niche sports out there

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

DJExile posted:

Yeah, ignoring the ethical issues I have with the NFL as a whole, the games take for-loving-ever, there's far less choice in what I can see (compared to college), and the whole event is just so sanitized and milquetoast that it almost becomes a victim of its own success. I don't doubt the talent level of the NFL is well above that of the college game but when the celebration is taken out, the pagentry is taken out, and you can pretty easily predict most outcomes, it just kills it for me. It doesn't help that being in NW Ohio, if I wanted to watch the NFL, I'm stuck with watching two of the worst NFL franchises of the last 20 years.

Back when I did still watch the NFL, I would usually watch the Sunday Night game, but I don't think I've watched MNF since.... christ, maybe the mid 2000s. I've never seen a Thursday night game.

I only watch Eagles games anymore

I am Spartacus MILLENNIAL

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Crazy Ted posted:

I'll say it again: primetime NFL football has been godawful this year.

Also, I think technically a Millennial is anyone who graduated high school from 2000 to 2009. I missed the cutoff by a year (1999). But yes, old people tend to see Millennials as anyone younger than 40.

I graduated high school in 2011

Am I a post-millennial

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

DJExile posted:

This would own. Imagine some side judge out-running a WR along the sideline on a deep ball

I'm pretty sure I saw this with a ref and DeSean Jackson to make sure he didn't drop the ball before the line

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Between PSU and Baylor, the NCAA has determined rape isn't a NCAA violation

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Joe Buck is thoroughly mediocre

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Is ESPN actually hurting for money or is some suit at Disney overreacting to pulling in only 499 million in revenue instead of 500 million?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

What's an OTT?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I saw this pic in too many threads today and I always thought SAS was arguing with Cowherd

Nuge :stare:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Akileese posted:

I'd watch/listen to that which means I'm part of the problem and also someone who is really entertained by stupid people. I guess that's why I always found Mike & the Mad Dog funny.

I'd listen to a show that is 4 hours of Christie listening to randos telling him how much he sucks

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Crazy Ted posted:

The Big Ten hosed up college hockey, which is unforgivable.

Nah, college hockey even better now

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

IIRC, PSU to B1G was panned because everyone assumed every single year would be like 94

DJExile posted:

Creating the B1G hockey conference destroyed two very good conferences in the CCHA and WCHA. B1G hockey is basically a joke these days.

Nah. The conference tourney sucks, but the quality of play is pretty good imo. Its not HE or NCHC, but still p good. Way better than ECAC imo

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Teemu Pokemon posted:

You do know that like 2 or 3 of the last 6 champs are ECAC and half the Big Ten would be struggling to break into the top half of that conference

The majority of ECAC is bad grit and grind hockey straight from the trap era. Its not a big secret ECAC is a boring defensive league for the most part. Its just not fun to watch

Give me bad B1G firewagon hockey every time

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 19, 2017

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2017/8/23/16189704/csn-philly-nbc-sports-philadelphia-rebrand

All the CSN City are now NBC Sports City

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

WatchESPN is good for me rn

e: I spoke too soon

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 10, 2017

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I hope the NFL forces the Chargers back to SD and makes them pay another relocation fee

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

sportsgenius86 posted:

They're so paranoid due to cord cutting that I'm sure they've run a lot of audience analysis and determined they have more to lose by letting Jemele Hill speak than by policing her.

It's sad and wrong, but I'd be very shocked if that wasn't a primary influencer here.

But cord cutting doesn't work that way?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

If literally no one watched ESPN tomorrow, they would still get paid from cable fees regardless

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

algebra testes posted:

I watched PTI for the first time in like, 5 years last night.

It's still good? And easy to see why it spawned so many imitators.

PTI's biggest asset is that their takes are interesting but not like "hot takes" a lot of the time. And obviously the natural chemistry. The way that Mike is always calling into Tony's podcast and talking about how he calls him on the weekend makes it clear that they're actually friends which is kinda sweet, even if they're both giant idiot gas bags.

Originally Tony was the stereotypical old white dude and Wilbon had some quality refreshing takes, but somewhere along the way Wilbon became starstruck and started huffing his own farts. Now Wilbon is the old white dude and Tony is the more interesting fellow

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

MourningView posted:

if they replaced a 2017 jets game with Heidi would anyone even get mad

I got extremely mad when CBS cut away from the Eagles annihilating the Broncos, so yes

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

A quick reminder with all this talk of blackouts is that no football of any kind (even European football) can be shown in the uk between 2:45pm and 5:15pm on a Saturday. This led in the past to the frankly ridiculous broadcast of a Real Madrid vs Barcelona game which kicked off at 5pm, where the first fifteen minutes consisted of nothing but a shot of the half-time pundits watching the game on tablets (turned away from the cameras) and commentating on it until 5:15

lmao, what the reason for that? Drunken hooligans?

BAMTech

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I think it was a white supremacist thing before that and since Trump does it (probably a coincidence despite his idiocy) it became a recognized thing. But it's also held upright, and that's pretty clearly someone playing a meta punch game

Dont make me find the pics of Obama doing the same thinga

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I'm watching some Rugby thing and its super cool the ref is mic'd up and you can clearly hear what he says during the run of play

I wish US sports would do this

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Bip Roberts posted:

Players and refs are mic'd up commonly in all 4 big sports.

But you only really hear them during breaks in plays. Refs only turn their mics on to announce penalties. I wish they were on constantly.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

ElwoodCuse posted:

Do you have any idea how much swearing that would pick up?

Works for noted saints, Rugby Union

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

'I'm gonna assume "cotton-picking" is a regional dialect of "cherry-picking," which would be a valid comment for Russ' board hunting

but yeah, that dude needs a talking to

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Fernando Alonso

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Crazy Ted posted:

There really is no such thing as competitive balance in much of European soccer.

Remember when Leicester bloody City won the Premier League

that was fun

so is ESPN 8: The Ocho

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

If I wasn't an Eagles fan, I would have quit watching yesterday's game after the 1st Q

:flag:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

DJExile posted:

yeah there's definitely the overall cord cutting effect, and only going 5 games didn't help either.

There's also this from a Fox Sports VP:

At the same time, the MLB's juice is in the local station ratings. Like hockey, it's a pretty tribal fanbase, and local broadcast ratings were up on the whole.

And there was a roughly 0% chance of LA winning the Series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I want Noel and Liam hired to a commentating job only to find out that their partner is each other

every third word would be bleeped