Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

DJExile posted:

ESPN won the rights to the world cup of hockey. Prepare to hear every loving game called by John Buccigross.

Someone tell me they still have Gary Thorne and Bill Clement stashed away somewhere. I want to relive my childhood. :pray:

Or maybe it'll be another chance for Steve Levy to call stupidly long overtimes?

It'll be Buccigross and I'll probably be sick of it five minutes in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Timby posted:

Those were voice actors. :ssh:

Still probably more knowledgeable about football than Phil Simms at this point.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Benne posted:

Yeah, Comcast just throws poo poo wherever. They have ESPN/2 on 31/32, NBCSN on 34 (where OLN used to be), the local ROOT affiliate on 30. All the stuff you can get on the basic package.

Then it jumps to the 400s for FS1/BTN/NFLN/NBATV/MLBN, plus SECN, ESPNU, ESPNews and all the random channels you get with the sports package that nobody watches. If you're a Spanish-speaking viewer, you have to dig through the 600s and 700s to find the Deportes spinoffs.

Unlike the others, Comcast and its affiliates don't seem to have their channel list standardized. For me, ESPN and the deuce have been 34 & 35 forever, and NBC Sports 37 for about a decade, but stuff like NFL, NBA, and NHL Networks, and the other ESPN offshoots, are in the 720-750 range, with MLB Network being 279 for some reason, all of those have been moved about six or seven years ago (NFL Network went from 180 to 736, for example). Plus, the HD sports channels are scattered in threes and fours all over the 390 to 480 range, with all sorts of poo poo in between.

However, I go about five miles north, and all the channels are totally different, cause they get Comcast through some local company. And if I go further north into West Palm Beach, the HD stays mostly the same but standard channels are a third, totally different set.

But really, the Barry Melrose comment is pretty spot on. Go into almost any restaurant with TVs, or a place with a waiting room, and ESPN/2 are as likely to be on as anything else.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

iospace posted:

Didn't someone here said someone noticed their arguments in the WaPo break room, decided to put them in front of a camera, and told them to cut the swearing?

Basically, yeah, it's outlined over a few pages in Those Guys Have All The Fun. Kornheiser jokes that if the show had been on HBO no one in the Washington Post would have even noticed they were gone cause they'd be cursing, and as it was some people didn't realize they were on TV at first anyway.

But as mentioned, a big difference is those guys had offices next to each other for twenty years before PTI started, so they had a rapport that a lot of other shoes just substitute with louder yelling and hotter/dumber takes.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

howe_sam posted:

You'd think I would know this, but ABC isn't in the mix for the Super Bowl because MNF is on ESPN, right?

Correct. It's always been rotating schedule between the over the air networks, and set years in advance just like the Super Bowl location itself. NBC will do this year, then CBS the year after, then Fox, then NBC, and so on until the time when/if the current tv rights change, I think.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

wandler20 posted:

The best commercial they ever put out.

Yep, although I'm still very fond of follow me to freedom.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Vertical Lime posted:

wasn't countdown 3 hours long a few years ago

Yeah, from like 2011 to 2014. Otherwise, it had always been a two hour show during the regular season.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfOB3jzfpoU

NBC did the same poo poo with the ESPN theme, the 90s ESPN theme was great

That music plus Gary Throne will always make me time travel back to like 1997, staying up insanely late in Florida for a kid in elementary school to watch Teemu Selanne and Paul Kariya (Assuming he wasn’t concussed) be awesome for Anaheim (And still lose).

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

R.D. Mangles posted:

someone needs to get the rights to air every single 2001 Bears game

No Sexy Rexy, not interested.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

sportsgenius86 posted:

That’s gonna own so hard to hear Tony call a game with someone who isn’t dogshit

Please, please give us Tony Romo and Kevin Harlan in the booth. :pray:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Lockback posted:

Was it at all entertaining or was it just something happening on TV?

The 1st round gave us this:

https://twitter.com/PFTCommenter/status/1253532340787306496

The 2nd so far has given us this:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Who the hell is even left at ESPN to do MNF?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Also, I think all the pairings they’ve had since Tirico and Gruden have been largely disliked, and they want to get back to a duo that people actually like and want to hear. Heck, even before that when they had Ron Jaworski I thought it was a decent group.

Sean McDonough and Gruden never really gelled together. Part of that may have been Gruden wanting to get back to coaching, but McDonough was utterly bland and forgettable. Tessitore was okay, but Witten was clearly loving awful in every aspect in his one season, while Booger just wouldn’t shut up and was generally annoying most of the time, so I can sort of understand them wanting a clean slate again.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
ESPN’s insane PS1-like graphics they use during MNF are hilarious and half the reason to watch since they’ve been steadily getting less and less prominent and interesting matchups.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

sportsgenius86 posted:

I could see a Mike Tyson docuseries drawing good numbers and being interesting.

Mike Tyson Mysteries isn't a documentary?!

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Edward Mass posted:

I'm amazed there isn't one about the NHL-WHA merger, but then again ESPN would have to acknowledge the NHL.

Like, one of the very first 30 for 30 docs was on the Gretzky trade, but yeah, that’s been about it.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

soggybagel posted:

I think the first run of docs in the 30 series were passion driven and they also reached out to some very accomplished filmmakers.

They’ve now become by and larger perfunctory sports documentaries. I don’t think there’s one simple mandate that could fix things but for me, I either like exhaustively detailed docs (like Hillsborough) 94 fun docs like The U. There’s room for everything too. June 17, 1994 played with the form a bit and I loved it.

Pretty much correct about the history of it. 30 for 30 began just as a series of documentaries for ESPN’s 30th anniversary covering events during those years. The early ones were clearly a bit more passion projects by the people behind them with some of the subjects.

They proved to be so successful they continued to do more under the 30 for 30 banner. This wasn’t a bad thing, as to name a few that stood out to me, You Don’t Know Bo, Elway to Marino, and The U Part 2 came from the second run, while Four Falls of Buffalo and the okay XFL one came from the third, plus the whole O.J.: Made in America by itself. But, there’s a pretty solid case for an overall drop in quality as they going, and at this point 30 for 30 might as well be the generic name for ESPN documentaries, so I can’t think of the last time they did one of note under any other.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

:byewhore:

He sucks, so good riddance.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
I'll admit, most of my knowledge of him is when he does NFL games for Fox, but he's loving awful at that too and I hope this impacts his job there too.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Nope. He’s basically on like the 5th or 6th broadcast team for Fox, so he’d do regional stuff like a Lions-Cardinals game that you’d only see for a total of 10 minutes on Red Zone cause it’s opposite a big national game. He’s also been doing play-by-play for Dolphin preseason games for a while now too.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Dexo posted:

rip Doug Buffone, god blessed him with not having to ever see Trubisky play,

Counterpoint: Look at some of their quarterbacks when he played for the Bears. :stonklol:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Robnoxious posted:

He was on it recently?

Seriously, what was this, his third or fourth stint?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Also it was a good game aside from Dak’s ankle bending the wrong way.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Robnoxious posted:

Who moves up to become the A-Team?
Kenny Albert is really on temporary loan from Fox during the playoffs.

Probably Kenny. In the previous years, it always seemed like Kenny was their second option, as he'd usually call the other set of games in the Conference Finals (Like, if Doc's crew was doing the Eastern Conference Finals, Kenny would do the Western). He's been doing NHL games since it was on Fox in the 90's, and with NBC since they got it 15~ years ago, but I wonder if he has a preference between being the lead NHL guy or part of Fox's second tier of NFL guys. He's likely the favorite to get the job and likely gets it if he wants it.

Someone in the NHL thread suggested that John Forslund or Gord Miller might also be in consideration. IIRC, Forslund's been getting a bit more playoff games over the years and might be an outside shot, while Miller works for TSN in Canada and is I think an even longer shot. RIP David Strader.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Timby posted:

Get Gary Thorne out of retirement.

He’s not retired, he’s been calling the Orioles. He’s also in his 70’s and only like a year or two younger than Doc.

This doesn’t mean I wouldn’t kill for one last hurrah of Thorne and Clement.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Lockback posted:

Is that a simocast or is that the only way out of market to watch the wildcard game?

Doing something different, weird and maybe fun does not sound like the NFL at all.

Just a silly simulcast thing. All the playoff games are nationally televised.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

DJExile posted:

Awful Announcing has a pretty good breakdown of how the Nickelodeon simulcast went, it sounds like it was a blast.

E: Young Sheldon playing the role of Mike Pereira is fantastic

It was pretty good and the GDT for it got goldmined if you want Goon's live reactions to the insanity (Also some reminiscing about old Nickelodeon). Probably not something you want every single week, but likely something for a playoff game or a handful few other times during the year for fun.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Mahoning posted:

They got the locations of Cleveland and Cincinnati reversed on that map.

I don’t think it’s supposed to be correct. Five of the six Florida team logos are in completely wrong locations, and all are clustered in the middle of the state, for example.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Henchman of Santa posted:

They got actors doing exaggerated versions of each man's voice to tell their side of the story and used deepfake technology to make it look like they were in the room (though they were conspicuously far from the camera and dimly lit).

A while back, either ESPN or NFL Films/Network did a(nother) documentary on Vince Lombardi, and for part of it they used an impersonator to deliver do a lot of his quotes. They mostly filmed him from behind or silhouetted to obscure the face. Al Davis vs the NFL was basically the 2021 version of that same thing, and the results were similarly mixed. I liked the underlying story behind it, but the deep fake stuff felt like a gimmick that could have easily been left out.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Yeah, just off hand the old meme with him and a shaking cat that’s about to pounce is from an IcyHot or Gold Bond commercial from like a decade ago. He’s always sponsored just about anything.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
I’m fine if they bring over most of the NBC people, as I don’t think any of them are horrendously bad.

All ESPN needs to do is make sure to include this, unchanged, at every opportunity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PReim0Axt4

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Hockles posted:

Wasn't he one of the active players that had an analyst position in place whenever he was ready to retire, or was that someone else?

Yes. Brees going to NBC has been reported since at least early last offseason, if not further back. I forget the timing of it, but he and Tirico are the presumptive replacements for Michaels and Colinsworth on SNF, who I think only have a year or two left each and IIRC Al has been hinting at retiring for a little bit now.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Not true, apparently.

https://twitter.com/AndrewMarchand/status/1372633780406587392

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
They’re a little longer than before but not by much. The last Fox, CBS and NBC deals were all done during the 2011 season and were set to expire after next season, for example, as getting the lockout resolved before the contracts needed renewed was a part of everything.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Spoeank posted:

Imagine a whole series of live offerings, and if you add moving pictures to them??? revolutionary

I’m in favor of adding Rush’s seminal 1981 album to everything. :dadjoke:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

What the gently caress?

:stonklol:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

The old This is Sportscenter commercial with him making the anchors do line changes is probably the last time ESPN had thought about hockey before they got the rights recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky7e_bFAEb0&t=289s

4:50 if the timestamp didn't work.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Bird in a Blender posted:

ESPN seems way too integrated into Disney for them to ever be spun off. Don’t they have ESPN stuff at the theme parks?

Not hugely in the parks themselves, but in assorted places elsewhere on the Disney property in Orlando. They have the ESPN Club restaurant and store on the boardwalk at Crescent Lake, the resort area between EPCOT and MGM Hollywood Studios, and the Wide World of Sports complex which they slapped the ESPN name on after Disney got it. Inside the parks themselves, they'd have some ESPN branded stuff in the big general merch stores at the front of the parks that'll sell a little bit of everything and in Downtown Disney, usually along side their own sports-ish stuff like jerseys for Mickey or whatever. However, even 20~ years ago when the Disney-ABC-ESPN thing was a lot more heavily promoted and utilized, back when shows like Mike & Mike would do a week at the ESPN Club or the 6 PM SportsCenter would be from Bay Lake next to Magic Kingdon, their stuff was never super prevalent. It wasn't like you were going to find ESPN shirts in the gift shop for Jungle Cruise or Star Tours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Stump the Schwab aired on ESPN Classic for a bit and was pretty good.