Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

This is where I can vent on how Jim Nantz gives more importance and gravitas to sponsor reads than he does the actual sporting event that's on the screen, doubly so if it's at the Masters and he can thus kiss the rear end of anyone wearing a green jacket in the hopes he gets a membership, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Crazy Ted posted:

Also, the Team Handball announcer gets utterly looney. I caught part of a handball game on BeIn once and the announcer seriously wondered aloud how there could be anything more exciting on the face of the earth.

It's not like he's wrong or anything.

Also, Fox Soccer Plus owns because it shows both Aussie Rules and rugby league, and if it doesn't get rolled into Fox Sports 2 something is wrong with the world.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

GUESS WHO'S JOINING ESPN

And don't worry, if an NFL team comes a-callin', there is an out-clause in his contract.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Benne posted:

Eh, they'll just find a way to clone Nantz 20 times so he can do all the big broadcasts.

Dear. God. No.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

swizz posted:

Digger Phelps is retiring, he's kind of a crank but ultimately endearing if you've watched college basketball for a long enough time

Please don't take Bill Raftery with you, Digger, because he's the only thing stopping us from the Gottliebpocalypse.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

DJExile posted:

If you want to hear lovely play by play, turn on ESPN and listen to John Buccigross. Holy gently caress he is awful.

So bad you could say what Chad Kroeger is to Nickelback, John Buccigross is to hockey commentary.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

The Harrisburg local radio station has dropped the Phillies in favor of the Washington Nationals

The station boss had this to say: “Nothing against the Phillies, but clearly the Nationals are a team on the rise. They won the NL East last year and are picked to win it again this year.Obviously [a winning team] helps in all ways, and they certainly will be a postseason contender that makes a deeper run in the playoffs this year. Unfortunately, I don’t see that in the Phillies’ immediate future."

This also makes a bit of sense, considering Harrisburg has the Nats' AA affiliate.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Vertical Lime posted:

More Fox stuff. Cowherd's radio show will be on FS1 from Noon-3.

Francesa gets relegated full-time to FS2, that's gonna sit well with him

http://www.newsday.com/sports/media/colin-cowherd-joins-fox-bumping-mike-francesa-simulcast-to-fox-sports-2-1.10732940

WAITUSECKIN WAITUSECKIN--AWM GETTIN BUMPED FOH COWTURD? GAWBIJ!

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

DJExile posted:

Francesca sleeps on Francesca!

E: Dammit i just got wooshed didn't i

You did.

Furthermore: do you, or someone you know, listen to WFAN? Do you also hate yourself? Well, watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdXwzHiq8U0

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

So Simmons announced that they are doing a Mike and the Mad Dog 30 for 30.

They'd better visit FrancesaCon, the one day celebration of New Yawk's Numbah One/noted Michael Kay hatefest.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Apparently in the comments people from MKE are saying that he was 100% in the right to do this, because UW-M's sports administration is absurdly incompetent.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

General Dog posted:

Better idea, actually just replace it with reruns of The Mary Tyler Moore Show.

I'm visiting my sister in Minneapolis soon (she goes to U of M) and I will get a picture taken of me throwing my hat into the air at the MTM statue in Nicollet Mall

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

When Barstool Sports, the site that had some of its bigwigs get arrested outside the NFL HQ for protesting the decision, is being more sensible than you about The Deflation, you know you've hosed up.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Robnoxious posted:

gently caress YEAH SPORTS MACHINE!
Sports Machine pre-dated NFL Primetime when it came to NFL weekend highlights but George always added a bit of the silly with the show, especially wrasslin and rodeo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECgqC6s3xd0

George Michael once gave a shout out to my local affiliate too :3:

George Michael graduated from my high school so he automatically is/was awesome.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

CaptainYesterday posted:

When did the Millennial tag eat Generation Y? I still consider myself Gen Y, because that's what I was raised as being referred to.

'Round 2010, or when Twitter really blew up.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'd love to figure out who the true GOAT's of "homer/local" radio broadcasters would be.

Scully, Buck, and Carey are no brainers.

Paul Keels for OSU is one of 'em.
Tom Hamilton for the Indians
Van Miller for the Bills has to be one. (God rest his soul)
Eli Gold for 'Bama
Merrill Reese for the Eagles
IMS Radio Network as a whole. (Paul Page, Bob Jenkins, Mike King, etc)

Gotta be some more. Feel free to post audio of anyone you like on this list or whatever. I want to hear the best in unabashed pure joy and homerism.

Hockey-wise, Bob Cole on HNIC is pretty much the national hockey broadcaster. Plus, so many local guys are very closely linked to their teams over the years: Rick Jeanneret in Buffalo, Fred Cusick in Boston, Sam Rosen with NYR, Mike Lange in Pittsburgh, Bob Miller with the Kings, Gene Hart in Philly, Dan Kelly with STL--especially with the expansion teams, one guy does/has done their calls since roughly their founding. Plus, there's even the case where legendary commentators move with the team: the great Chuck Kaiton started with the Whalers and moved to Carolina, while Ralph Strangis (who took over himself for a beloved caller in Al Shaver) went with the Stars from MN to Dallas and was incredibly popular in both places.

Also, for college sports Mike Kelly (no relation to Dan, though Dan Kelly did regularly call Tiger football in the '60s/'70s before the hockey season started) at Mizzou is probably the only guy I know at a P5 school that does both their football and basketball games on radio. He's also one of those guys everyone loves.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

the talent deficit posted:

they're starting a left wing breitbart. it's called crooked media

cancel Keepin' It 1600 and listen to Chapo Trap House instead

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

If we're talking about "old early Sunday morning ESPN shows we miss", NFL Matchup is/was the poo poo.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

davecrazy posted:

She probably already has a standing offer with Simmons. He loves her to an almost creepy degree.

well, she's a fairly attractive woman who adores Boston sports and has blandly consensus takes. she's fem-Simmons.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Beadle is replacing Sage Steele on NBA Countdown.

Here's the average reaction to it:
https://twitter.com/victordukes23/status/849276668866961408

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Back to broadcasting, because people pranking Mike Francesa will never not be funny:
https://twitter.com/SportsFunhouse/status/857672150735630336

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

DAMNIT I MISSED THIS
https://twitter.com/bomani_jones/status/865657631477604352

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Vertical Lime posted:

stephen a's rant on his radio show a couple of days ago was also something

le batard had a field day with the opening minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDxm_djoBNo

Here's the remixes they made of SAS losing his poo poo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBfshWoiOhA

(also if you didn't watch/listen to Le Batard last week, you missed THE WAIT IS OVER and the reason why Stugotz is bald)

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Niwrad posted:

NFL on Fox gave us a cool intro theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbU4fPYRvcY

CBS had a theme straight out of an 80's variety show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPbMj5aW3AY

Also Fox gave us Matt Millen who became comedy gold with the Lions.

yeah but CBS made up for it with their college football music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iXhs9x-7yk

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

it could be even more worse, they previously offered the late night slot to Clay Travis

(and sadly it has come to this, Barstool is on select occasions better than Deadspin and has a lot more clout at this time)

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

FuzzySkinner posted:

Who are the people that like him, and barstool sports?

I've also yet to understand why barstool sports is a thing and why they've gained in popularity. Come to think of it? I've yet to understand why boston dominates in terms of bringing so many sports talks types to life.

Are you from the East Coast? Were you in a fraternity, or grew up with a bit of money in your family? Do you currently work in finance, sales, or a related profession? Then boy howdy do I have a site for you!

(I only read it because their main hockey guy is quite good.)

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Anals of History posted:

The pic isn't embedding properly for some reason so you're better off going directly to https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGFf8PEW0AEg5Jr.jpg

And yeah. :stare: is right. That choker came straight from Frederick's.

she's worn it on air before and it notably stopped the Dan Le Batard Show once because they had the exact same reaction

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Crazy Ted posted:

The fun part is that this is going to be another PR disaster for ESPN, because they're going to take fire from all sides for either A) not firing her for what she said, or B) suspending her for what she said.

They are led by morons.

the only winners out of this are the Hot Take purveyors. Clay Travis can still go on about "MSESPN" and Deadspin can still go on about how ESPN needs to Do Better.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

if you don't listen to the Dan Le Batard show's local hour, they interviewed the woman who leaked the Miami Dolphins cocaine video. here it is uncensored from their internet feed: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw4P4gA0jq8Kc2hjREhkY3d1dkk/view

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

BWV posted:

one of the strangest interviews/stories I've ever heard.

nothing will ever top it, and her ending it with "have a blessed day" is perfect

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Benne posted:

Katie Nolan debuted on HQ today. Don't know if it's permanent or just a short-term thing (Le Betard's had a constant rotating cast since Bomani left the show), but it was good as you'd expect.

Did Papi get her with the handshake?

This is very important.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Bomani is back this week on HQ and yes, it's as good as you'd expect. Partially because the Cavs are lovely to start the year and as such Gonzalo Le Batard gets to be very smug about the eSnake Brothers, LeBron and Dwayne.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

iospace posted:

Things I didn't know I needed in my life.

the only ESPN programming worth watching/listening to comes out of the second floor of a South Beach hotel and features things like an elderly Cuban man miming snakes whenever he talks about LeBron/DWade, lengthy discussions about a producer's days working at Victoria's Secret, and them dressing up as the "Robert Smith Mashup" (football pads and a Vikings jersey over eyeliner, lipstick, and a stringy wig) because they picked the wrong football team out of a bucket

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

AsInHowe posted:

Papi, good. Dan, good. All the other co-hosts, all good.

(Except Sarah Spain)

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Rick posted:

The relevance of the Fox regionals has mostly died out over the past five years with Comcast/Time Warner/Cox trying to use local sports teams as the way to establish networks and spending a lot to do it, and just in general they've been only keeping rights when they could lowball. ESPN is picking up something practically dead already. It's too bad, they were super important in making sports accessible nation wide.

I wonder if this means that ESPN can flex things from these networks now?

depends on where you live, in some markets (Dallas, STL/KC, Twin Cities, Ohio) where either there's multiple cable companies or the local ones weren't interested in sports networks, the FSNs are still a big ratings deal. yeah they got bounced out in NYC by the major teams owning their own networks and in Chicago by Comcast, and in LA they're facing a tough go because of Spectrum, but in other markets they're going strong.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

BWV posted:

There are a million reasons why the Stugotz Show w/ Dan LeBatard is so good but a big one is that they have such a better eye for show friends than your typical show. From the days of having Stan van Gundy to Bomani, to now having Mina, Pablo, Foxworth, Amin etc. the show is really good at targeting people who can significantly contribute. None of them will ever touch the OG guest Greg Cote, who at this point is basically like a 3rd host, but they are still really good at fitting in. Except for Sarah Spain who now fits out and just yells at everybody and acts like a Chicago bro.

and don't forget the celebrity friends like Pat Sajak, Kenny G, Method Man, and others who get the show.

also Greg Cote Tuesdays should be a national holiday, even if he does not come armed with Back In My Day, Soup Du Jour, a Lobos Update, or manages to avoid the HNO all three times

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

ElwoodCuse posted:

Dump Millbury at the dmz please

and he should take Pierre with him

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Mahoning posted:

Hoooo boy, apparently one Bill Simmons takedown wasn’t enough for Deadspin today, but Drew Magary kinda went nuclear on Simmons with this piece:

Bill Simmons is a loving Embarrassment

https://twitter.com/matt_T/status/951920904631652352

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

BWV posted:

but Drew Magary is a good writer

he isn't and I'm surprised he didn't show up on the lovely Media Men list like all his other Deadspin buddies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Henchman of Santa posted:

There were like two people affiliated with Deadspin on that list

Greg Howard, Daulerio, Xmas Ape, Craggs, Boniface is a lot more than "like two"

also note the total absence of Barstool people on that list