Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

DJ Khaled yelling out "DJ KHALED" instead of "TOUCHDOWN"

WE DA BEST

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

soggybagel posted:

Except TNT is like a part time sports channel but still is handling original broadcasting.

This move is very weird. NBCSN does very well.

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1352708881823227905?s=20

The only reason why I can see Comcast making this move is that they are betting the house on Peacock and essentially want to force you to sign up for it if you were a regular NBCSN viewer.

I think both the NHL and PL contracts are up soon too.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

MourningView posted:

lmao

radio on the internet wow mark cuban really was ahead of his time

now I can't stop thinking of Russ Hanneman's "billionaire doors" spiel from Silicon Valley

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Mahoning posted:

After 10 games or so, I can say I definitely miss the MLB on Fox theme when I watch the Reds. There’s not much to like with Bally Sports. The score bug sucks, the theme song sucks, the name sucks.

Agreed, and somehow it’s a worse scorebox for hockey. Fox had the perfect hockey graphic and a great theme (a remix of their old network NHL theme) while the universal Bally theme is just nothing.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/stltoday/status/1408179161588539396?s=21
Hoooooo boy that’s quite the price for cord cutters

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1431277829111435264?s=20
oh hell yeah, this is legit one of my favorite hockey stories

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

DJExile posted:

https://twitter.com/Wes_nship/status/1433773269132349440

this is absolute perfection. The stand-up to see if a kid got the first down :discourse:

Reminds me of when I was in college and shot small-town HS football in Missouri.

One school—I want to say Moberly, but it may have been Mexico—had commentators go on a huge tangent about how they’d been watching more Blues hockey since they got an HDTV, and that they’d want to change their last name to “Colaiacovo” because they thought it sounded cool

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/turnersportspr/status/1437823529282686982?s=21 Good to see that Ace is kept on, I liked him a lot on NBC as an intermission panelist

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

PotatoJudge posted:

Pretty obvious pickup for LeBatard's operation if they have the cash.

meh, I think she’ll go another route because she is on the record as not wanting to move to Miami.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

harperdc posted:

what about cable? :v: specifically the host broadcaster, ROOT Sports, doesn't have a deal with DirecTV, YouTubeTV, or Hulu, or Dish Network on satellite.

would it be possible that getting a VPN and the NBA/NHL OTT platforms be cheaper and easier? it's loving ridiculous that it's gotten to this point in the streaming/broadcast wars.

I don’t know how the VPN thing would work with ESPN+ (which is doing all the OOM games this year for the NHL as part of their basic sub), but you may want to give that a try

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Reminds me of when the Cardinals left KMOX for a couple years in the mid-2000s. The team decided they wanted to outright own their radio outlet (KMOX is a CBS O&O, and always has been) and bought KTRS 550, who had already made moves poaching KMOX’s morning team.

Problem is that KTRS struggles to get full coverage of the metro area, whereas the “50,000 red-hot watts” of KMOX’s clear channel feed were a big part of the Cardinals getting the following they have, for better or worse (as that loving Twitter account regularly shows). The experiment lasted a few years, and then the Redbirds were back on 1120 AM, though they still own 550 through a holding company.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

GutBomb posted:

The only cable or satellite customers in Denver that can see nuggets, avalanche, or rapids games are DirecTV customers because of a dispute between Altitude and all the operators who balked at their insane fees. altitude is owned by the same ownership group as the three teams mentioned and they’re expecting way too much for their lovely channel. It’s been 2 years at this point.

It’s literally just with Xfinity. Some outlying areas have different cable providers I work for one of them in a department that handles some of these disputes and they get on just fine with That Family.

(Dish Network, though, is an entirely different kettle of fish. They play hardball with EVERYONE, including a non-profit that owns an NBC affiliate, about carriage fees.)

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

This is a wild story https://twitter.com/johncanzanobft/status/1486739581856665603?s=21 (Long story short: Montana State’s WBB commentator said some very racist and, shall we say, Fox News comments about Portland when the Cats played Portland State, got fired, and then doubled down on his comments)

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Yup, all the Sinclair family. They've done 3 or 4 of these (Marquee does the rest with hilariously bad production/sound issues) , and I'll bet biblical losses it's trial run for regular season games at some point to cut costs.

Huh, Bally Midwest sent Dan McLaughlin/Jim Edmonds/Rick Ankiel down to Jupiter for Cards spring training. Danny Mac was all over Twitter about how great it was to be in a road booth again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Jubs posted:

Fox gets the A game at 12. CBS gets 3:30 and NBC gets 8. Big 10 network gets leftovers.

I’m a bit intrigued with the NBC element, partially because of the ND contract but more because Lorne Michaels is known to lose his poo poo if SNL even gets bumped back by a couple minutes