Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Malcolm McDowell has had a strange career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Dr_Strangelove posted:

The man works—some good stuff, some great stuff, some straight trash.

The “rough policing and Olympics” comment made me immediately think of that movie.
That man has done "A Clockwork Orange", "Caligula", "Tank Girl", a live action version of "Fist of the North Star", and...."Tom & Jerry Meet Sherlock Holmes"???????

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Lockback posted:

uhh certainly makes the story different.
Oh boy that could be fun.

If you manage to do "other" things that get you fired from a team that the owners basically couldn't give less of a poo poo about, you have probably done some pretty bad things.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 23, 2023

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The American Dream posted:

That Amazon game is also on wpix in the nyc area. They just simulcast Yankees games to the rest of New York or whatever the territory is.

Before last year those games used to be syndicated OTA. Also are the Sunday morning peacock games on NBC?
The future of sports: all teams are "barnstorming" teams but instead of playing in a different town/city every night they play on a different network or TV channel every night and it's up to the viewer to figure out or subscribe to whatever it is they're playing on.

Diehards spend $10,000 a year on streaming services just to watch the Yankees lose in the AL Playoffs for the 15th straight year.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Always love a good awkward live moment:

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1661600169031536641

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

oh my god

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

LionYeti posted:

I watched a little bit of the reboot on youtube last week god it was awful.
It was basically unwatchable because of how many Human Interest stories they tried to cram into each show.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

I feel like the doc did a pretty good job explaining why Gladiators is uniquely viable in the 80s and not now. Like they all sit around going “this isn’t safe for people to do, we were horribly hurt and addicted to drugs, this is more dangerous than the NFL” and then they’re all saying “the reboot lacked any punch”. Doing it all 80s would be a mess of liability and bad press. Tuning it down results in bad reactions. Then you have the aspect of the Gladiators being your stars and being eventually in a position to want proper pay.

It’s just cheaper and easier to run reality shows where no one will get horribly injured and you can just keep turning over the talent so they never unionize.
Pluto TV had a 24/7 American Gladiators channel for a while, and one thing I didn't remember was that the 80s version was risky enough they had alternate contestants on standby during each episode because injuries to the competitors weren't an uncommon thing.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The average age of an MLS player is about 26 - a bit more than a year per player older than ten years ago but still a year or more per player younger than leagues like the Premier League and La Liga.

in terms of the league being a retirement home, in its early days it would usually sign big-name players who were in their mid to late 30s and would play for a year or two and that was it Valderrama was weird in that he decided he liked the league and played until he was in his 40s. That's definitely changed, with big name signings since tending to be a bit closer to an age where they would still theoretically have a few good years left even if they aren't a top-level player anymore. Using the Galaxy as an example, Beckham was 32 when he signed with the and not at the tail end of his career. Robbie Keane was 31-32. Javier Hernandez was 31-32. Jamie Penedo (125+ caps for Panama) was 31-32.

Zlatan was 37 when he was signed, but I wouldn't use him as an example or comparison of anything. I mean, he almost scored double-digit goals in Serie A as a 40-year-old.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jun 8, 2023

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

If you're gonna be a right-wing weirdo at least come up with intriguing titles like this.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Pat McAfee is a 40-year-old 16-year-old, and him acting like that as a former long-time NFL player is utterly pathetic.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

DJExile posted:

It also sounds like the relationship was beyond repair with Skip too. I realize plenty of people put up with coworkers they don’t like if the money is good, just look at Adam and Jamie from mythbusters, but I’m not sure Shannon wanted to stay for any money.
Way late on this, but to be fair to Adam & Jamie they had a fine working relationship and just didn't feel like doing stuff together outside of work since they were already spending most of their waking time together between Mythbusters and their actual day jobs.

I could not possibly imagine working with Skip Bayless without wanting to strangle him within 48 hours.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

DJExile posted:

Yeah I should have clarified but you’re right. They were professionals and got along fine for the sake of the show, but I think a lot of people figured everyone on that show were great friends. I think the build team crew was, but I can absolutely see how Adam and Jamie’s personalities would’ve grated on each other off-camera.
The Build Team crew actually did a show together for Netflix that lasted one season, but unfortunately I think Grant Imahara's fatal brain aneurysm happened before they could do a second one.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ohhyeah posted:

Entertainment Strategy Guy has a free blog up about F1 ratings and media narrative. Fun fact: Indycar is more popular than F1 in the US.

https://entertainmentstrategyguy.com/2024/04/10/debunking-formula-1-media-narratives-yet-again/
Not surprising given how boring F1 is now from a competitive standpoint.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

I think Harlan is the best in the business right now but he's the absolute GOAT of dumb, ancillary bullshit
You have no idea how spoiled Minnesota kids were growing up with him calling Timberwolves games, even when they sucked.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

As far as I'm concerned he should be best remembered for the "Rick Camp" game from his Braves days in the 1980s.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Dexo posted:

Wild what happens when a sport is like actually treated as real and not a sideshow
That's still the WNBA's biggest problem: the NBA shoehorns it into the summer on a compressed schedule and then wonders why the average basketball fan doesn't watch it.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I only learned yesterday that he basically founded the ESPN Research Department, and was a much larger part of ESPN than many ever knew.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Nodoze posted:

https://nypost.com/2024/04/22/media/apple-close-to-finalizing-1b-deal-with-fifa-over-tv-rights-for-new-tournament-report/

Soccer’s global governing body FIFA is close to an agreement with Apple to give the tech company worldwide television rights for a new, month-long club tournament, the New York Times reported Monday.

The deal with Apple could be announced as soon as this month and valued at around $1 billion, a quarter of the $4 billion FIFA had first estimated, the report said, citing three people familiar with the matter.

The potential agreement would give the company’s streaming business an edge amid competition among streaming services providers to lap up rights for widely watched sporting events in a bid to add subscribers.

The 32-team event will be held next year between June 15 and July 13. Usually, no major events are scheduled during this period in order to allow players to rest in the off-season a year before the World Cup, according to the report.

An exclusive rights deal for a tournament absolutely nobody was asking for.

It's perfect.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

There are already way too many drat soccer tournaments
It's an expansion of the existing Club World Cup, which typically took place over about a week in December each year with six or so teams taking part. However, FIFA decided they don't already make enough money so it's been expanded from six to 32 teams and will now have a schedule similar to the international World Cup. The tradeoff is that it will take place every four years instead of every year.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Island Nation posted:

It sounds like a replacement for the Confederations Cup that was a dress rehearsal for the World Cup but with teams Europeans want to see
You would think that, but somehow this year's edition is only being played in the United States, with zero games in Canada or Mexico :iiam:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Inside the NBA on NBC preceded with Roundball Rock is something I could definitely live with.

Please not Amazon.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Lockback posted:

If its NBC it'll mostly be on peacock
Well...I know that!

If NBC gets the rights I'm holding off on how I feel about it until we see what or how much they put behind the Peacock streaming paywall.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mike_V posted:

i see that guy on the tv at the gym and i swear to god they pick the dudes who look like the most degenerate gamblers to be on those shows
Would it surprise you to know, then, that he has made appearances at professional poker events?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

This is going to lead to a return of a lot of people sailing on the seven seas.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

Why would you pirate free IPTV?
Because I didn't think about it :colbert:

Also there's been a bit of a crackdown on IPTV globally.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 14, 2024

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

A 30-minute infomercial for Dude Perfect. This is the state of media in 2024.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Rick posted:

Yeah they said they were "in New York on business" at halftime but they aren't at the game.
Coming in 2025: Inside the NBA on NBC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

If Social Media posting about Inside The NBA is anything to go by we might have a legit storming of NBA Headquarters at Fifth Avenue if TNT loses out to NBC.

At the same time, about 90% of the people saying that they won't miss Inside the NBA at all because they're "arrogant" or don't do any analysis look just about exactly how you think they would.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 15, 2024