Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Cannot get over how ugly the Bally Sports broadcasts are. Total amateur hour poo poo with the graphics and the music they use sounds like some stock poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I guess it'd be too much to ask the Bally Sports app on Roku to remember my login information and not force me to connect the app with Spectrum's login info every time I load it up, huh?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

From Characters Welcome to extremely niche sports lol

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

It's extremely funny that every Bally broadcast has multiple misspellings and errors in the ticker

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

When an NHL game is listed as ESPN+ or Hulu, does that mean it's also available on Hulu in the US? It's pretty unclear since when I go to the game tab on Hulu it just tells me to watch on ESPN+.

EDIT: Nvm, looks like it is playing on Hulu, so that's nice except they missed the first minute and a goal..

Mike_V fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 26, 2021

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Island Nation posted:

It's a bit surprising that whatever stick was up his rear end seems to have been removed in the last few years.

I always thought he was fine (fun even) when he would drop by to do a local Cardinals broadcast. It was weird listening to him on national

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I better not hear that annoying rear end in a top hat on random Cardinals games

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

god they couldn't even be bothered to offer a low rate for the first 6 months or whatever to help juice the subscription numbers?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Kibner posted:

Just look at the replies and quote tweets (and the replies and qt's of those). Nothing unhinged. Just a lot of Bally sucks, guess I'm going to keep pirating, Pels are complicit and shouldn't allow this, etc. With a few, well I guess I can afford it if I cancel my cable entirely sprinkled in.

https://twitter.com/cclark_13/status/1559894532895940611?t=1sdM3eojXXn1OwiZu-x8uw&s=19

Are they going to have any programming that's worth a poo poo outside of the games themselves? Why would I buy a full year when I will need it for 8 months at most?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

how often do the real lovely games on ESPN networks not get national announcers? the mizzou v MVSU game has the arena feed with the mizzou radio announcers

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

lmao chapek always seemed like a huge turd. get all the MBA brain bores out of hollywood

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I imagine YT will offer it at a discounted rate for YouTube TV subscribers (since I think they're offering Sunday Ticket as a standalone package too). That pricepoint might be a way to try and juice their core service numbers

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Here we go, Sinclair 's sports wing looking to restructure some debt: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...author_18953096

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

soggybagel posted:

What was the problem with Apple's MLB production? I caught maybe, 1 game and thought it was fine. I liked the font and graphics package.

They were good imo. The only problem is that the announcing team was terrible

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

RumbleFish posted:

Yeah, the Apple/MLS tie-up is going to be real interesting to watch. I'm extremely annoyed that I'll go from being able to watch CLTFC games for free on local TV and will now have to pony up $14/month to see them, though.

Wait are the MLS games an additional package on top of base Apple TV+? That is a bummer since I don't want to pay that much to watch St. Louis' new team

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Chris Licht at CNN has found a solution to plummeting ratings

https://twitter.com/PuckNews/status/1624074971663278080

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Zaslav has been slashing spending across WBD and I think he said they don't need the NBA if the league will charge astronomical rates, so I imagine that's where

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

So it begins: https://twitter.com/soshnick/status/1625856052788072452

I still don't know how an RSN that is so overloaded with sports gambling managed to fall into bankruptcy so quickly. Is Donald Trump overseeing operations?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

fast cars loose anus posted:

All of that is generally right but lol at the old man "its so hard to swap browser tabs/apps compared to switching a channel"

You laugh but that is a significant part of the battle for any streaming service (regardless of age of viewer): getting people to open the app.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Rick posted:

Yeah obviously you'd rather be on ESPN or actual OTA Fox but on average sports get better ratings on CW than FS1. They wouldn't be as accessible nation wide but it could mean more total viewers in their actual market which to me should be the actual goal of this and if they can make more money than their current deal doing that then they should.

Does the CW really not have an affiliate in every market?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I would love it if MLB and NHL games would go back to local affiliates. I watched the Blues and Cardinals on the local WB station when I was a kid before Prime Sports (I think) grabbed them

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

for dickhead conservatives, portland is where their classic cowardice comes out. antifa will give you purity tests in the street and beat you up if you like the american flag. chicago is good old fashioned racism more than anything else

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Also, didn't they give Nexstar CW the broadcast for free?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Does that include the entire suite of ESPN networks or just the flagship (as the project is called)? If it's just ESPN then gently caress all the way off, but if it's everything (which includes stuff like SECN+ and so on) that's a different story

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

ESPN is eventually going to start losing money as the carriage fees evaporate over the next decade. But they've also agreed to $$$$$Billion in rights agreements with a bunch of different leagues. The leagues are still going to want that money.

Edward Mass posted:

My guess is that Disney is zigging where Fox is zagging and they’re going all-in on streaming. It wouldn’t surprise me if in five years, all the current TV channels owned by Disney are spun off, sold, or shuttered.

Iger said as much today at that freakshow billionaire summit: https://www.cnbc.com/2023/07/13/dis..._source=twitter

quote:

Disney is going to be “expansive” in its thinking about the traditional TV business, leaving the door open to a possible sale of the networks. “They may not be core to Disney,” Iger said, adding the creativity that has come from those networks has been key for Disney.

Mike_V fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 14, 2023

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Dango Bango posted:

Doesn't this setup prohibit you from getting the main ESPN networks?

Yeah, as far as I know all the big ticket games (or really anything on their linear networks) isn't available on ESPN+ with maybe some exceptions

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I kinda love that. Have fun with it

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

All the major streaming services are likely profitable outside of creating “original content”, and the ones with ads are probably profitable even then. The problem at wb-discovery is that they are 50 billion in debt, not that they aren’t making any money

Well, this is the problem because all of those legacy companies wanted to follow the Netflix model, but forgot they weren't first movers (and also provided the grist for the Netflix mill for 10 years) and decided to spend $x,000,000,000 per year on original programming and movies while also charging way below market rates (except for HBO Max). You also sort of have to have original stuff to acquire subscribers; library content is for retention, but acquisition does require new things.

There's a lane for library services, but FASTs are filling that at the moment and are nowhere near as profitable, so shareholders aren't going to allow that as a main business at this point. This is a problem entirely created by these companies themselves, so it's hard to feel too much (or any) pity for them.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Amazon looking to get into the RSN game https://www.reuters.com/markets/deals/amazon-talks-invest-diamond-sports-wsj-2023-12-18/

quote:

Dec 18 (Reuters) - Amazon is in talks to invest in regional-sports programmer Diamond Sports, a move that would advance the e-commerce giant's aggressive push into sports content, the Wall Street Journal reported on Monday, citing people familiar with the matter.

Diamond Sports Group, which carries the games of more than 40 major sports teams across the United States and filed for bankruptcy earlier this year, is actively negotiating with Amazon about a strategic investment and a multi-year streaming partnership, according to the report.

If an agreement is reached, Amazon's (AMZN.O) Prime Video platform would eventually become the streaming home for Diamond's games, the Wall Street Journal reported.

Diamond, which has the local rights to about half the teams in Major League Baseball and the National Basketball Association and about a third of the National Hockey League teams, would continue operating its cable networks through its existing partnerships, according to the report.

It isn't clear how much money Amazon is planning to invest or at what valuation, and Diamond has received support from a select group of creditors for proceeding with the talks, the Wall Street Journal said.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

CTE has suddenly been cured and we will hear no more about it

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

In case anyone was wondering, MLS Season Pass has about 2 million subscribers at last count.

Does that include those who got it through T-Mobile for free?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I'm still not sure why someone like Byron Allen hasn't bought the broadcast rights to HBCU athletics and tried to roll a bunch of stuff up into a Black Culture type streamer

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

Bally Sports/DSG is not going away

tl,dr:

-Sinclair will no longer have any ownership of Bally Sports
-Bally Sports would not be available via Prime Video, but possibly via an Amazon Channel
-Carriage disputes should be resolved quickly
-Teams will not be paid as much as previously, though

There you have it; teams that aren't the Dodgers, Yankees, Mets, etc. are gonna now explicitly reference this when they cut spending (afaik they've been coy about talking about the declining RSN business as it relates to payroll so far)

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

A lot of teams didn’t spend this winter, and if you take out the absurd amount the Dodgers spent then spending overall is not impressive

There are still three major FA’s on the market, and one of them is the reigning Cy Young winner

That's what I'm saying. The teams haven't said they're not spending because of RSN stuff, but now they're going to explicitly talk about it when pressed (which isn't really a valid excuse since the teams still make money, just a little less now)

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

is there any update on Fubo's lawsuit against the cartel? Seems like they have a decent case to me

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

DJExile posted:

It doesn’t work that way. WB (who own lifetime) or any other network can’t just throw out offers when CBS, ABC, and their other broadcasters have exclusive rights with the league, or at least right of first refusal. TNT and discovery+ also have rights and are probably working out where those other games might go or any competition it might be up against.

Is WBD really putting WNBA games on Discovery+??

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Mahoning posted:

I didn’t think Discovery+ existed anymore. I thought it was all rolled into the Max app.

It's separate still, but all of their programming is rolled up into max. I don't know who is out there still subscribing to only Discovery+ though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I think this means Netflix ends up with the in-season tournament at this point