Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

Fox Sports 2 shows Aussie Rules Football. It is now the only channel I need.

Most of the AFL is still on Fox Soccer Plus though which is kind of infuriating, but they're going to milk that channel until it's dead I guess. There's...I think two or three matches listed in the next week. The thing I REALLY want on FS2 is National Rugby League.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgrlqL2vmGA

I feel like I really need to start watching Keith Olbermann's show now.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

I have to imagine there's a few executives in a giant pissing match to see who can greenlight the worst possible shows while losing the least amount of viewers. This sounds wretched. Frankly, if it didn't have lovely sounding sketch comedy in it, the show might not be too terrible.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

FuzzySkinner posted:

Quick Poll:

Worst pre-game show?

I have to go with CBS and ESPN being tied at the top. Shannon Sharpe is awful, as is Ray Lewis.

FOX is also awful.

NBC is probably the best (even with Peter King.), along with NFL Network.

They're all pretty lovely now. Every year they keep getting bigger and bigger. It used to be fine when it was like, 3 guys. Now ESPN has the entire pro bowl team from 1994 on their pregame show. Pretty soon it's going to look like a college lecture hall.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykTGLqXUfJ4

Utah, Louisana, North Dakota and Hawai'i in this clip.

Gotta hand it to Ted Turner. For him to have done that back then was pretty revolutionary.

We had them back when I lived in Connecticut too.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Vertical Lime posted:

So if you didn't see it TFF, outside of Buck/Aikman still being the top duo there's a lot of changes in Fox' NFL announcer pairings:

http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/exclusive-nfl-on-fox-broadcast-teams-for-this-season.html

I would definitely tune in to hear Goldberg and Joe Rogan call an NFL game. That would be quality television.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

ayn rand hand job posted:

It's cheap, it's filler, it's got a decent fanbase. this is a network that's broadcast dogs jumping into water, magic the gathering, and billiards.

What more do you want? Indy car or some poo poo like that?

FYI, their Cricket World Cup package is $99 and is not on ESPN3. It's not like it's airing on tv. I wish it was. Maybe during the next world cup it might happen since it's all primarily going to be late night airing for live tv anyways.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

ElwoodCuse posted:

Cowherd has been a shitbag for years but now that he's an expensive shitbag, he's finally a problem. Hooray.

ESPN is about to give 12 hours of air time to Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith. Well, 12 additional hours.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Eisen has become the face of NFL TV, but that was a fairly mutual break.

But yeah, Cowherd isn't some big loss.

I'd like to see them get rid of Skip and SAS.

This will never happen. They'll end up giving them more money so they can spout out poo poo takes all day. It hates me to say that too since I grew up with ESPN but good god unless there is a live sporting event that I want to see I don't ever watch it. I watch more NBC Sports than anything else, but that's entirely due to them carrying the EPL and F1.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Sash! posted:

THE DECISION II

A three hour spectacular wherein we see Tim Tebow try to decide between a sundae and a banana split.

Don't give them anymore ideas please.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Badfinger posted:

Actual consequences from Cowherd being a shithead: MLBPA might withhold cooperation from ESPN & Fox until the situation gets resolved somehow.

H/T Hardball Talk

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2015/07/24/mlb-players-association-upset-colin-cowherds-comments-dominicans-espn/30605259/

I really want this to lead to ESPN firing Cowherd and Fox pulling their offer but as I don't like to set myself up for disappointment I'll assume it's not going to happen.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

MourningView posted:

It would own really hard if fox pulled their offer too.

This needs to happen. His apology was actually more offensive due to the complete lack of any actual remorse (as well as calling all Latin Americans stupid).

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

ElwoodCuse posted:

Even if Brady wins?

It'll be even worse because it will vindicate him.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

ElwoodCuse posted:

It's a good book but I found it very dry until you get to the part where they hire Keith Olbermann. Then it really picks up.

I actually really enjoyed all the Getty Oil time stories especially the Stu Evey stuff given how polarizing a figure he is. Frankly, a Getty Oil oral history is something that would really interest me but I understand that I'm in the minority.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

howe_sam posted:

"We're going to talk baseball playoffs with Jack-O" :barf:

Haven't gotten to that part yet but the baseball talk is always so hilariously bad that it's funny.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

BWV posted:

i know it was wishful thinking but i was hoping for more snipes . The poo poo he said about Mike and Mike is basically what the guys on the lebatard show say about them and they're on ESPN right after them. Saying he thought Mort screwed up and that doing a Golic impression is really no big deal.

That said, I bet when he gets some good guests it'll be great.

I don't think he wants to go full on nuclear from the first episode. I can understand it. It's been months since you've had your own show and you sort of just want to get back to doing what you like doing and showing your viewers that the show is going to pretty much the same format. If he starts spouting off a bunch of poo poo talking about ESPN on the first show it may end up turning people off.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Ribsauce posted:

I thought the craziest thing in the interview (I missed the first part) was Francesa offered Bill Simmons a co-hosting gig when Mad Dog left.

I wonder how long that partnership would have lasted

Oh my god that is a radio show I would honest to god listen to every single day. It would be a hilarious train wreck if nothing else.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Sash! posted:

The other day, I was talking to my mom and she asked when Penn State's bowl game was on so she could watch it. We got talking about football on TV and she straight up said she thought they'd stopped doing Monday Night Football ( :stare: ) because she didn't see the game on the channel guide any more. That...surprised me.

This does not shock me nearly as much as it should.

Back to the NYE games..I didn't even think about the work thing. I left the office at 3pm on Thursday and we were closed Friday but there were a few people who still stayed here well past 5 in accounting and I had plenty of friends who worked later in the day on Thursday. It's like these idiotic TV execs are all ancient fossils who are stuck in the 80s where every business in the universe shut down the week of Christmas and didn't reopen until after New Years.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Ribsauce posted:

The '85 Bears probably gets canonzied more than the Dolphins. You really only hear about the Dolphins when the media is forced to talk about them (like when the last undefeated team loses or a team gets to say 13-0) where you hear about the '85 Bears randomly all the time. For example, after the Panthers lost this year you won't hear about the '72 Dolphins again until either a team is undefeated through like week 12 or the last undefeated team loses.

You used to hear about the '72 Dolphins a lot more a decade ago. Constant mentions about how they'd always get together and celebrate when the last undefeated team lost, stuff like that. It definitely seems to have gone away though. Last time I really heard about them was when the Pats went undefeated in the regular season. You didn't hear nearly as much as you'd expect to with three teams taking unbeaten records so deep into the season.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

soggybagel posted:

Still unclear but we'll know more this week.

As of February 15th Fox Sports Live is no more. Jay and Dan are getting their own show which will run 5 nights a week that will fill the FSLive slot. Its still not totally decided what the show will be like. IF it will still have highlights as a focus or more free form. The department I work in, highlights, still feeds video to a lot of shows including Cowherd's, the college basketball coverage, soccer, and later in the year baseball. So I imagine they'll retain some people...because you need people to sift through the mountains games that happen every day.

They're definitely moving to the more idiotic HOT TAKES central...as far as UFC post fight, UFC is kind of their own thing. They have their own team of editors and producers and I'm sure you'll still get the same post fight coverage that you're used to. The only difference is instead of rolling from a fight into a UFC post fight into LIVE you may just get more UFC post fight coverage and then it dumps into a random show like TMZ or just a repeat of something from earlier the day.

Sucks to hear it since FSL was awesome. With that said, didn't Fox Sports bring in the guy from ESPN who was solely responsible for all this hot take horseshit to begin with?

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Niwrad posted:

Simmons podcast with Al Michaels is phenomenal. He talks about OJ, Pete Rose and a bunch of other stuff regarding broadcasting.

His reaction to having to travel the country with either Boomer Esiason or the corpse of Chick Hearn was amazing. This is probably one of my favorite Simmons podcast ever. Everyone needs to listen to this. I really want Al Michaels to have his own podcast after it.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Benne posted:

FS1 continues its race to the bottom:

Can't wait for the Hot Take Network to get, like, 20 more viewers than before.

It'll get less viewers because even ESPN does cool stuff every now and then that isn't just hot take horseshit.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

It really was. There was a five minute segment of Barkley fumbling with a touch screen as he more or less explained that he doesn't watch college basketball, and he picked the higher seed in every single game. In the time it took to get through that, we historically would've been on to the third region. This was the entire segment after the first region was revealed.

I didn't watch it but someone told me they went 30 minutes between showing regions or something like that, which is hilarious and terrible.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Bomani Jones went on TV this morning with a parody Cleveland Indians style shirt that said 'Caucasians' instead of Indians and a bunch of people are flipping out on Twitter. People are dumb.

Most of what I saw was people thinking the shirt was amazing, but I follow a bunch of goons and other really cool people so it's to be expected. The shirt was loving awesome.

I fully expect ESPN to suspend or fire him for it.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

stephen a talking to himself on split screen and getting more and more irate

I'd uhhh...If I was drunk enough I may actually watch that for at least 15 to 20 seconds.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Kibner posted:

Anyone have any idea how valuable 23 million hours per week for an international audience of teens and and 20-somethings is? I have no earthly idea or know anyway to find out.

Yeah but what happens when those hours are longer split across four accessible platforms and go into whatever dogshit ESPN cooks up for it?

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Sash! posted:

Who the hell is watching someone play video games?

I watch football and hockey because I can't actually do those things, whereas I can actually play video games. Might as well be watching a video of a guy walking down the street.

I watch Rocket League but that's it. To be fair, the people that those watch are really really good at video games.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Badfinger posted:

Discussion of why watch a video game aside, Riot and ESPN both say there's no deal in the works.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/05/23/espn-league-of-legends-riot-games-no-talks/

Interesting. There wasn't even a no comment. That's a flat out denial which is highly unusual for someone like ESPN. The number did seem sort of high so I guess it makes sense.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Here's 6 minutes of Mike Frances trying to figure out if Zach Wheeler actually hurt the same thing twice. He got confused seeing an SNY recap.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/mike-francesa-reports-mets-injury-only-to-realize-half-way-through-it-was-an-old-report.html

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

I thought the second episode of Simmons' show was significantly better than the first. Not sure if I'm in the minority though.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Niwrad posted:

He did say the owner sold the team though. One of the former owners of the Nets died in a plane crash a couple years ago. Can't think of anyone else who would fit in that description though.

Also when I searched for "Atlanta Hawks ownership" the first result was a photo of Lebron James playing the violin.

Aubrey McClendon died in March in a car crash too (though he was minority owner). Man a fair amount of NBA owners have passed away in the last 5-10 years. More than I figured would have once I started listing people off.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Any Given Wednesday convinced me that if Chris Bosh sadly never plays again he'll be awesome on TV.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

ego symphonic posted:

While this has certainly been true historically, I think it might be changing. Fewer and fewer schools run pro-style offenses and there have been a few NFL coaches and executives grousing publicly in recent months about how poorly offenses like the spread prepare college QBs for the NFL (this also plainly reveals their expectation that the NCAA's priority ought to be preparing NFL athletes rather than winning their own games).

If that trend continues I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that the NFL would take steps to begin grooming their own QB prospects. Though I suppose it's doubtful that would take the form of a full blown farm league right out of the gate.

The problem with an NFL farm league is that real talented players are so thin already that having to create another team of 60 or whatever guys seems impossible to me.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

FuzzySkinner posted:

My theory is people just have ESPN/ESPN2 on as background noise during those hours because there's nothing else on or something.

Pretty much. For me, it's El Rey Network on work from home days since they just show a lot of old horror/action movies that range from awesome to hilariously terrible.

e: So at what point does Horowitz get shitcanned by Fox? They're paying him a load of money as well as the talent he's bringing in and the money they're spending is really better off being lit on fire at this point.

Akileese fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Sep 8, 2016

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

CaptainYesterday posted:

Well, who would replace Horowitz? Who do you get to make FS1 get more viewers?

No idea, but at this point he's spent a kingly sum of cash to try and turn that network into hot take central and has approximately gently caress all to show for it.

E: Also, w/r/t the numbers of ESPN/FS1/NBCSN, I believe NBC's numbers are steady rising each quarter. This is mostly down to the fact that they're not trying to be ESPN lite, but rather an alternative for different sports like F1, Soccer, etc. On top of all that, NBC Live Extra is the best. If you watch the Premier League, literally every game is streamed live regardless of whether or not it's on an NBC network.

Akileese fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 9, 2016

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

DJExile posted:

jesus christ

TBF drone racing is kinda sorta cool if filmed properly. Problem is it is never filmed properly. Either way, the internet reactions to drone racing being shown than the 7th replay of first take will be glorious.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Niwrad posted:

I find myself skipping the TNF or MNF games to watch something on Netflix a lot more than I used to. I don't really even know why. Maybe there are better options available, maybe it's the excess commercials, maybe I don't have the attention span I used to. Still love RedZone Channel to death but watching regular season games that the Bears aren't in have just gotten boring to me.

NFL games are too loving long and start too late. Not only that, but now it's quite easy to catch highlights online of games in a match of the day (British Premier League highlight show) format. Why would you stay up until 11:30 to watch a game that has two teams you don't care about when you can catch a 5 minute highlight reel the next morning?

And yes Sash!, pretty much. To TV execs/baby boomer, a millennial is any human being who doesn't conform to their marketing standards.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

You know how we keep talking about the sharp decline in NFL ratings? Well England has a similar issue with the Premier League right now.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/premier-league-ratings-are-falling-dramatically-in-england.html

Their system is significantly different than ours when it comes to things like this (Sky Sports is a whopping £13.75 extra per month, which gives you football, rugby, F1, etc). I don't know BT's pricing but it is similar to that I imagine.

They keep citing the Olympics and illegal streaming but as someone who watches the PL weekly, the big problem is the Sunday games and late Saturday games have been a giant load of poo poo all season. All times given from here on out are in local time in the UK. The 3PM kickoff games (which is when most matches are played) are not shown on local television in the UK but none of the bigger match ups ever occur at that time. The big matches usually air at 12pm and somewhere around 530pm. Sunday matches have been a bit dire for the most part this season. Matchday 7 had some solid Sunday matches but that's really it.

I think as we get closer to Christmas and you start to see more and more marquee matchups, it will be interesting to see if ratings improve. No week by week ratings were provided, which is what would really interest me. I also wonder if Match of the Day contributes to this since people can just tune in at the end of the day and catch significant highlights of all the matches.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Colts/Texas was down 38 percent vs Colts/Pats last year. A five year low for SNF. It was easy for them to blame the debate with Packers vs Giants, but record lows twice in a row has to be a concern. It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out as they start flexing bigger games. I really think the sheer volume of terrible teams has a huge part on this. A lot of my friends who watch football say that between the terrible teams and officiating slowing games down even more, they're borderline unwatchable.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/colts-texans-hits-five-year-snf-low-down-38-per-cent-from-2015-week-six.html

Back to Premier League ratings, does anyone know the ratings for NBCSN so far this year? I haven't been able to find much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Any Given Wednesday may not be a very good show, but it sometimes has good segments. The one on the Chargers stadium referendum was amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS7KL84H1DM