Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

What a loving bummer. I watched the Bulls-Thunder game when he came back and you could tell everyone was happy to see him back. Bulls gave him a black and red plaid jacket to welcome him back too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I keep forgetting her name, but whoever is covering the NBA free agent talks for Sportscenter is not quite ready to be on camera. She stutters/stammers quite a bit, and then repeats lines because she's not sure what to say. Since I tend to watch SC for like the same 10 minutes every morning, and they tend to have segments on around the same times, I get to see her fumble every day.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Deathlove posted:

In "poo poo only Chicago people care about", the Bulls and Sox are moving radio broadcasts to AM 890 (huh), and supposedly the Cubs are going to the Score as a result, which...the Cubs on the Score is just loving bizarre, right?

No Cubs on WGN? First TV and now radio, what a shame.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

johnfw50 posted:

For a lot of people, yeah. The rest is high school athletes not good enough to play whatever their original sport was in college.

That's essentially ultimate frisbee. Lots of soccer players who weren't quite good enough.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

DJExile posted:

The Toronto Maple Leafs will not send their radio crew to any road games, and instead have them call the games from a studio, watching them on a monitor

E: Welp, scrub that

@yyzsportsmedia
Breaking news: smarter heads prevail- @BonsieTweets @Jim_Ralph are back in the road with the @MapleLeafs not on charter but at games.

drat, how cheap can you be that you can't afford tickets for like two people to the road games. Obviously they changed course quickly, but I don't know how you announce a hockey game from just watching the TV feed. Like all of the line changes are done off screen, I don't know how you would keep up.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I thought you were going to say Pam Ward there for a second.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Looks like ESPN is pretty much banking on "show it, and they will watch", even if the production quality sucks poo poo. They're letting go tons of production and tech people, which means their quality is probably going to stagnate. They'll probably be fine for a while, but eventually everyone will pass them by. Either that, or everyone is going to get lean as hell and sports broadcasting will slowly start to suck as they try to keep doing the minimal possible.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Seems like we're destined to get a la carte cable via individual streaming services.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I thought it would be years before HBO offered an independent of cable streaming service, but they did it this year. ESPN essentially has the infrastructure set up already, so it wouldn't take much for them to offer up subscriptions for like $10/month. I think if ESPN did that, you'd probably see all of the cable companies essentially subsidize the TV portion just to keep subscribers. I really want to find some numbers on how many people keep cable TV strictly or at least mostly for sports.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Iowa State's entire athletic budget is $70 million, and it was under $30 million in 2005. God I wish we had Big 10 money.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Yea, I meant to say that it certainly feels like we're in a bubble as far as TV payouts go. The BTN gets some ridiculous amount of money for each subscriber in the state that has a Big 10 team.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Mahoning posted:

People over 25 actually go out on NYE?

I'm 34 and this was the first year I didn't go out on NYE. Most of my friends went out on NYE at least until their 30s, and most now have only stopped because they have young kids.

Edit: I didn't know why they playoff games got pushed to NYE, and I kept wondering who made that dumbass decision, good to know now that it was the playoff committee. I bet ESPN hates themselves right now.

Also, it's pretty stupid to try and make a new "tradition" of playoffs on NYE, when 1 out of every 3 years it actually won't be on NYE.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

MikeCrotch posted:

One of the worse (best?) ideas in NFL broadcasting - pointing a mic at a pissed off looking Cam Newton

I for one enjoy panicked cutaways on live TV

Man, is there any other team on the planet that their one MOMENT OF GLORY more than the Bears? Talking to Liverpool fans comes close but at least they won a bunch of stuff back in the day, not just one title.

The Bears won a lot of titles, they just happened well before the Super Bowl came around.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

AsInHowe posted:

Given the trend towards very minimalist graphics packages, that Is very possible.

At least in football, I would really love for all screen graphics to disappear once the play starts. First down line and LOS line are fine since they're unobtrusive. Not that it happens often, but those bugs can cover up part of the play. Plus it's just nice for replays to have a clean screen.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Play games in the dark with light up jerseys and footballs.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I'm not sure you could have come up with two people I hate more than this for a show.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

davecrazy posted:

Bill Simmons dropping F bombs in his HBO promo. So edgy. He's not on ESPN anymore!!

I thought ads were supposed to make me want to watch the show. I'm a little predisposed to hate Bill Simmons though, so I went from not wanting to watch it, to actively avoiding it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

AsInHowe posted:

That's the lowest rating I've ever actually heard of. That's the lowest rating I've ever actually heard of. How many people do they asked to make that rating to even represent?

Not that HBO cares about ratings all the time, but I hope Bill Simmons's new show performs just as badly. I need those ads of my TV ASAP.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It was low to start with and still dropping, ouch. It's bad news when you're getting Jupiter Ascending numbers. What does Simmons do after this? Hopefully the answer is nothing.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I wonder what got that guy bounced from ISU. He was there when ISU was doing pretty well, and he helped sign a pretty good recruit.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I'm still amazed at how dumb FS1 was to hire Skip for that much money. I wish I could stomach being a blowhard for a few hours a day to make that sort of cash.

I think FS1 fell into a classic trap of just looking at the numbers and not trying to understand where they were really coming from, which is just casual viewers just leaving the TV on ESPN practically all day long.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

howe_sam posted:

Drone racing feels like a throwback to early years ESPN when they showed whatever random crap they could get the rights to in order to fill time, I dig it.

Yes, ESPN2 really needs to get back to showing all sorts of oddball sports. I guess ESPN3 is doing that, but I'd prefer it to be right on TV and not go hunting for it online.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Complaining about generation definitions is a little silly. You're a Baby Boomer if you were born between 1946 and 1964, so it's an 18 year time span. Millennials are a 20 year time span, so it's about the same. It will always be a huge generalization because even 10 year differences can be huge.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Sash! posted:

But that internet and cell phone thing changed life so dramatically that I can barely relate to people ten years younger than me. We grew up in objectively different worlds, from the minor (I always had a quarter in my shoe in case I had to make a phone call) to the major (everything about the internet). That's never really happened before.

You can do that for a ton of stuff from back then too. B&W TVs were still a novelty in 1946, by 1964 color TVs were starting to be everywhere. 1964 had the Civil Rights Act which caused some pretty drastic changes to society. 1946 and 64 is also the difference between likely having to go to Vietnam, and then having essentially no major conflicts to worry about through your prime military years.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Except that's not really true. If you were born in 2000 the smartphone didn't even really exist until like 2006 and smartphone ownership only passed the 50% mark a few years ago, so nearly all millennials did not have that kind of access.

In 1946, 10% of homes had a TV, so all your news came from probably one or two papers, and maybe the movie theater. By 1964, TV ownership was at 94%. That's a pretty dramatic change in how we received information too.

Obviously, access to the internet at all is a humongous change from 1981 to 2000, but these kind of changes are always going to happen. Unless we're going to start breaking up generational categories to every 8 years or something.

In 10 years we can listen to the next generation complain how they didn't get a smartphone until they got to high school instead of at age 8 like kids these days.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

MourningView posted:

No one has ever been more prepared and excited to whine about people younger than him than Sash.

I know, what the hell was I thinking?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://twitter.com/GallesKraco3/status/804520721477210112

Speak of the devil.

There's just got to be a better model than this....

NFL needs to learn from March Madness opening weekend and space those out at like 15 minute intervals. That way you can jump from the end of one game to the next all through the day.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I like TSR, but it was one of those shows that was easy to forget it was on. It's a lot like Real Sports, which I also like since they tend to get into less talked about sports topics and they stay way away from hot takes.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I'm almost done watching the American Crime Story OJ show and I think they got way more explicit with what Fuhrman actually says than in OJ: Made in America. I don't know why I'm amazed that someone would go on tape saying all of that terrible crap. I also paid no attention to OJ after the lawsuit, so I had no idea about his exploits down in Florida. Still can't imagine watching that whole thing in the theaters though.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I always figured that ESPN, FS1, and NBCSports were all part of the same sports package on cable. Is there a way for someone to add NBCSN, but drop ESPN and FS1? Or is this a byproduct of NBCSN working there way onto more main cable packages and being less of an add on thing?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Almost seems like NBCSN is what ESPN was back in the 80s and early 90s. Pick up any sport and show it. You can get the rights for those things for cheap and fill up all your air time, and not have to pay dozens of people to be analysts or put on talking head shows because you blew all your money on a few sports.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

FuzzySkinner posted:

General topic, but why does ESPN love UNC-Duke so much?

It's the Michigan-Ohio State of basketball. As long as they're both good, it will get hyped endlessly.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

ESPN would probably be fine. They're used to airing three consecutive CBB games during the regular season. Tuesdays usually have games on ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPNU. Them adding ABC for the 4th channel would be no problem.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

DJExile posted:

holy christ i would be buried in a loving mountain of nickels if i had one every time a goddamn coach, former athlete, or other public official thought opening a restaurant was a goddamn good idea

I guarantee that place is sold or closed down within a year

Are they actually owning the restaurant, or just getting paid to use their name? The latter is pretty much the only smart option. Although Ditka has a few restaurants in the Chicagoland area that seem to do well. Normal steakhouse, general American food kind of places.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Those aren't counted by Nielsen though.

Nielsen has developed a way to count those though.

http://adage.com/article/media/espn-bellies-bar/304048/

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Adun posted:

I watch Game of Thrones and like Andy Greenwald/Chris Ryan but I had zero interest in watching After the Thrones. Just seemed like a terrible idea for a show to air the next day when all of the analysis/interesting poo poo is posted on Reddit in 15 minutes.

I didn't realize that was on the next day, what a stupid idea. It's disappeared off of HBO GO/Now as well, which is actually kind of odd because they have stuff decades old like The Larry Sanders Show.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

The Big Ten hosed up college hockey, which is unforgivable.

As someone who has barely watched any college hockey, how did they gently caress it up?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Timby posted:

I don't know, the atmosphere at those first baseball games after 9 / 11 (all of that week's games were canceled, and play didn't resume until the following Monday) was pretty electric, especially in New York.

I just want God Bless America to go away.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Sounds like the NFL may consider telling the Chargers to move back to SD. Although the Chargers have obviously shot themselves in the foot a few ways here. Moving to LA without a real stadium to play in and being forced to play in a 30,000 seat venue was stupid. Now if they move back, will San Diego actually come out? I'd be pretty pissed if I was a Chargers fan in SD. It's like your boyfriend/girlfriend breaking up with you because they want that hot piece they met at the bar, and then a year later they're begging for you to take them back.

When are the Chargers supposed to move into the new stadium? I heard it could be a couple years, and a loving soccer stadium was the best they could do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I feel like this would be getting into anti-trust territory here. Disney owning ESPN, and all of Fox's regional sports stations? That's like 90% of the sports channels for the country.