Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Vertical Lime posted:

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/1538845130903502853

detroit, kansas city, milwaukee, miami and tampa gets it first

$20/month or $190/year

I forgot about this happening after the super vague announcement ages ago, so I checked the site yesterday and plugged in the details and was shocked (but not really, because Bally) at how anti consumer it is.

In the Miami market (and Tampa too, as I checked with their zip as well) they're basically copying the awful set of channel names/structure that's never made any sense and confuses everyone in the state because Fox Sports Florida (which is what it came from) will show completely different things in one city to another, it's dumb and stupid and should've been fixed with the buyout. But now it's even worse!

Miami people can buy Package A which is... Miami Heat and Tampa Bay Rays. Which is a combination of 2 teams that are followed by maybe 8 people? Like, how many Heat fans want to watch the Rays over the Marlins? Not that I'm saying the Marlins should be watched, but you know what I mean. Package B is the Panthers and Marlins, which at least is local. But they're $19.99 each! So if you like both the Heat and the Panthers you're making GBS threads out $40 a month for these things.

My gigabit fiber and cable TV bill is currently $160. When I cancel the TV side of things, pay the unlimited data fee that would then apply, and theoretically add this stupid set of packages I would probably be saving $20 a month at most and have about 300 channels fewer.

Absolutely no surprise whatsoever. Luckily I don't care about basketball so if I buy it'd just be the hockey side (and I get baseball anyway through mlb.tv) but what a scam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Kibner posted:

Bally Sports NOLA is charging $20 a month for their product. Which is normal for other Bally Sports regions. The issue here, however, is that they only offer the Pels. No other teams. Other regions you get the local baseball or hockey team. There is no such thing here. Yet the price is the same.

Locals (on twitter) are livid.

Yeah scroll up to my post a few days ago, if you're in South Florida and want to watch the Panthers and the Heat you have to pay $39.98 for it. It's loving ridiculous and absolutely zero surprise they can't do anything that isn't a complete money grab.I It's barely cheaper than paying for cable, which would include the exact same streams on the app.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that's what everyone is going to do, especially for hockey where there's a well liked site that seems to have zero reliability issues. Like, I was willing to pay a reasonable sum so I could just continue watching on my AppleTV which is preferred, but this ain't it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I had the audacity to go down the road a bit and attempt to watch the game on Bally that I pay for and it refused because I wasn’t in my billing zip code. I mean Jesus and they wonder why people pirate streams.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like the fact they had the opportunity to look at the prices and lengths people pay to use essentially legitimate non-US services to watch, and rather than bring back in that whole audience and a ton more who don’t go that route due to it being too technical, they just slap on an absurd price tag and call it a day.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’d love to know how much Bally make from a cable subscriber because wanting $30 in my market for just app access is a rip.

Doesn’t help the app is garbage and keeps telling me I’m out of my zip code when I’m sat at home, threatening to pull the content if I keep this up.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Vertical Lime posted:

i swore there was some sort of law made in the 90s that prevented the cost of (anything) from ever going down

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah this whole thing is pretty wild. MOTD is absolutely an institution in the UK given so many football games aren’t broadcast at all due to the 3pm nationwide blackout, and there’s a lot of people don’t subscribe to premium satellite/cable services for it. I can’t think of a time it’s ever been eviscerated like this, it’s a big deal. Whoever thought they could gently caress with Gary Lineker and get away with it…

E: ah was writing anyway and didn’t see the previous two posts. Yeah despite it not being live footage or anything I think HNIC is a fair comparison with regards to the fame of the show. SNL in the US if it happened to air on public owned television.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

https://twitter.com/nick_pettigrew/status/1635222611537051648

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If anyone knows of a DNS service that works well with ESPN+ I’d love to know it. My one seems to work seemingly when my home team are playing away games only when I tried last year. I hate giving Bally my money, but at least it won’t be for much longer.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Can’t wait for it to be $49.99 or something equally ludicrous.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Also people on cable are probably paying more than they realize due to all the bolted on fees and pretend discounts. I had a pretty basic tier cable subscription to get my local sports channels and my fiber internet. When I finally dropped the cable part, my bill dropped by closer to $100 than the $60 they acted like they were charging me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The one thing that surprised me about American Gladiators is how small it is.

In the UK, it was held at the NEC in Birmingham which is setup for around 15,000 people. The show was absolutely massive and held the prestigious Saturday prime time family spot for years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrqDmIaj_aM

I have to laugh about Shadow getting kicked off because of a steroid scandal. Who looked at any of those dudes and thought any of them was clean. Also man, Shadow is definitely some 90s naming for a black performer.

E: looks like we had a revival in the UK too, back in 2008 and there’s another one coming this year.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Nodoze posted:

It's true though because of Connecticut and NY

I will never tire of the people from these areas declaring themselves kings of pizza despite never leaving the country and then recommending the most dogshit local places.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Traffic next to my house gonna get a whole lot worse.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That’s an awesome title for it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Incorrect, nobody watches football anymore. A guy who is mad about people kneeling told me this and I have no reason to doubt him.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

To put it into context, the podcast Behind the Bastards did a two part episode on Ron DeSantis.

The one they did for Vince McMahon was six episodes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Can’t believe fewer people watched it than *checks notes* the time everyone was stuck indoors and there was virtually nothing to do or watch.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Ratings for sports (or at least the North American ratings) were way lower across the board then.

In fairness it’s hard to know because half of the Nielsen people were on ventilators.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The day that company is finally dead will be a good day.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ve most likely said it before, but there is a special place in hell reserved for everyone involved in that loving loop that ESPN+ runs just advertising themselves during every single break.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sounds like one that one of the NHL services uses too, black and white close ups of things like the ring being prepped and just some background white noise. It’s far, far preferable to the obnoxious self advertising loops.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The WWE model still perplexes me, the Network seemed a huge leap when it was first launched and the only thing it lacked was live/on demand RAW. Moving everything over to Peacock, which feels like it could fold at any time, except for Raw which is now going to a different paid network… all while Network seems to run fine in every other territory so it’s not like they don’t have to maintain it all anyway. I’m sure the books must make sense but it just seems so convoluted.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

On the eve of Royal Rumble too, he must be super pissed at the timing. Good, gently caress him. I don’t even think Bin Laden would get a 5 episode special on Behind The Bastards, but Vince managed it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If they did the lot, they’d never get around to doing someone less deserving like Pol Pot or whoever.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m sure it’ll be consumer focused, fairly priced, and won’t have insane blackout locks in place at all!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I remember when he had the Impractical Jokers on as guests and it felt the most awkward contractual obligation booking ever.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like to think the ear piece he’s wearing wasn’t necessary for his guest role, but he just wears one 24/7 just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pretty sure I’ve seen Ion in OTA listings.