Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Peanut President posted:

Team Handball owns. I support Team Handball on ESPN.

edit: I think ESPN lost Aussie Football. They used to show matches on 3 but they don't anymore.

I believe Fox Sports 2 has the rights, they were showing a game there.I'm not sure why it wasn't on Fox Soccer Plus but that is probably in limbo right now with Fox Soccer getting the axe.

I also want Handball on TV, Loved watching it during Olympic coverage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Rogers executives are very hammered over their unbelievable coup

Bell executives are subsequently looking for rope at Canadian Tire right now

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Vertical Lime posted:

most of new york is either what used to be cablevision or what used to be time warner cable

but yeah, dc's hosed

It’s not like NY wanted BTN. They only added Rutgers to the conference in order to get BTN carried in NY. No one seriously thinks they’re worthy of being there.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

MourningView posted:

Vicious propaganda from a clear Enemy of Rutgers Athletics

I don’t hate them in particular, I just don’t like college sports.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

No need to worry. Awful Announcing is writing a 3000 word article and a 3 minute video on the tweet as we speak.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

soggybagel posted:

Yeah Katie Nolan needs to be a emotionless robot so we may project our own feelings and desires. She should not display a personality.

Note to everyone on the Internet (especially AA). She will not have sex with you. Stop thinking she will if you watch her show.

This has been a PSA from someone who wouldn’t watch ESPN anyway.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Benne posted:

So it's gonna be Ronaldo on ESPN and everything else behind the paywall

On the other hand, Serie A is complete trash outside the top 2-3 teams so you're not really missing anything

Not even that. His first game in Serie A is behind the paywall too.

Agree with the trash bit but you could extend it to every league in Europe for the most part.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

exploded mummy posted:

Mets, Yankees, Giants, Nets, Devils, Islanders all have AM affiliates (though all but the Mets are also on FM).

Jets, Rangers, and Islanders used to have AM but are FM only now I think

To clarify:

WFAN (AM & FM): Yankees, Nets, Devils, Giants
WEPN (formerly AM, now FM): Knicks, Jets, Rangers
WCBS-AM: Mets in 2019 after its move from WOR
WRHU (Hofstra University): Islanders

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Lockback posted:

And field hockey, though I don't know where they rank in the world or if there are even world rankings or even how do you play field hockey

They’re 5th

http://www.fih.ch/rankings/outdoor

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
When do the must carry editorials by Curt Schilling start?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Didn't the worse three teams all have the same chance of winning or did ESPN think the NBA was going to rig the draft?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Declan MacManus posted:

well i guess in the inevitable race war i’ll pause for a second before killing skip bayless

Why pause?

Face it. Disney , Hughes & ESPN are Conservative by nature. They just happen to cater to a audience more right wing than the executives are

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Edward Mass posted:

Hearst, not Hughes.

I'm guilty as charged. Still applies to them as well.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
When will Bostonians start using that for Belichick without irony?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Does he know that skip is on FS1?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
MLS has been around 25 years. Why does it feel like they never got their act together? Corruption? , Culture?, Poor Marketing? Outside of the pacific northwest , they seem to be tolerated at best.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
If people were rational, they absolutely should have broken in for coverage.

In Dallas with the Cowboys on? That would've resulted in the station being lit on fire so I understand.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

sharknado slashfic posted:

I'm taking a college class and a sizeable number of people didn't show up last night and the instructor made a comment about the Nats being in the WS and I just thought "Yeah, I'm not sure that's it man." This is in the greater DC area for reference.

Since there was another DC team in Texas (Wizards-Mavs), what is the likely culprit?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Gigi Galli posted:

Remember this post next year when the broadcast is in sd and in Arabic

BeIn didnt get the rights

It'll be in SD and be turned into a police procedural.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

That implies he has a offseason

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Since Sinclair now owns the Fox RSNs, couldn't they just change the name to Marquee [region name here]?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I'm not sure if Walton World is a thing but it should be.

Is it a gimmick? Absolutely but treating basketball (especially the college version) if not all sports as a carnival sideshow instead of end all be all of human existence gives it the added bizarreness that life occasionally needs

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
If I were a A's fan, I'd be livid at this. They just put up a financial gate for game access to their fans and expect them to bend over & take it?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Niwrad posted:

It's funny that Manfred keeps trying to find new rules to make the game more appealing but the biggest issue is that it's hard for a lot of people to even watch the product. Local blackout rules mean few people under 35 are going to watch their local team. Local TV deals have locked out Dodgers fans and likely most Cubs fans this season from seeing their team play.

MLB finds new ways to make it harder to follow the sport.

MLB doesn't seem to understand that the demographic they're chasing has a very low tolerance of bullshit. It feels like they see Sears and want to replicate that instead

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Robnoxious posted:

I saw YouTube TV lost Fox regionals with Sinclair a page or two back but from where I sit in Metropolitan Los Angeles, Fox Sports West and Prime Ticket (the FS regionals) are still up and watchable.

It's not like I can watch anything except the Clippers for NBA and the Kings and the Ducks for NHL (who are both in the absolute shitter) and The California Angels of Los Angeles By Way of Anaheim for MLB on there anyways.

Sooooo, I guess it's a hollow victory?

Lakers and Doyers have been behind the Charter paywall for so long I forget they both even play here.

I believe Sinclair postponed a cutoff while they negotiate a deal with YouTube.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

MourningView posted:

ESPN doing sportscenter with no sports instead of just constantly running World's Strongest Man and pool during the day like they did when I was in middle school is infuriating. Give the people Magnus Ver Magnusson and The Black Widow, you bastards. My days are sad enough right without Stephen A hollering at me about why Tom Brady should have gone to the Jets or whatever, I need some roided up freaks pulling airplanes

CBS Sports Network has the rights. ESPN pretends sports they don't have the rights to don't exist. The AFL and NRL (Aussie sports) are playing but since Fox has those rights here, they disapper.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Americans finally embracing the superior Australian form of football because there are literally no other sports on.

I enjoy AFL quite a bit (the thread for it, not so much). If I spent $160 on a season pass for it, I'd have my head cut off.

As it turns out, their soccer league is also going on which ESPN+ has

Edit: Turns out Fox Soccer Plus is on Fios. My mistake

Island Nation fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 20, 2020

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Edward Mass posted:

Now that I think of it, Orange Cassidy is the Jay Cutler of wrestling.

OC is actually good at his job though

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
AFL has suspended their season due to the bloody obvious

https://www.afl.com.au/news/389109/-most-serious-threat-in-100-years-afl-postpones-season

NRL plans to keep going

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/03/22/nrl-reaffirms-commitment-to-play-on-as-afl-suspends-competition/

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
That means only the A-League is left and some of their matches are postponed now. Once they postpone, that'll be it for every team league on Earth

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Mahoning posted:

Not sure if you all saw but WWE Network is offering free access for a limited time to a huge portion of their catalog, including every Wrestlemania ever.

Gonna watch a few matches tonight I think.

Cricket (AT&T) also has a promo for WWE Network as well

https://www.cricketsweepstakes.com/wwenetwork

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
A-League suspended

https://www.a-league.com.au/news/ffa-postpone-remaining-matches-hyundai-a-league-season-covid-19

The KHL was still going at one point but they just cancelled the season

https://en.khl.ru/news/2020/03/25/467707.html

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Spongebob and Patrick give Hillenburg the tribute he deserved, a chokejob by the Texans

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

This. He was more of a symbol of overcoming health problems through athletics than a pure athlete, in terms of public appeal. I mean, he was sponsored by the US Postal Service, that's not small potatoes. Livestrong is his actual legacy, for better or worse.

That's what doomed him though. He was a de facto employee of the US Government during his tour wins so when they got involved in the investigation, they weren't going to treat him lightly.

MourningView posted:

Jordan probably isn't as popular as he was in 98 but he's still easily one of the like five most famous athletes on earth. He is a literal billion dollar brand.

I'm almost certain most soccer and cricket superstars beat MJ in terms of popularity. At this point, he's probably better known for his shoe than his career in certain parts of the world.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Troy Queef posted:

to this point: in 2018 a federal court judgment determined that states can elect to allow sports betting, including online or app-based wagering. about 11 or so have done so, including big states like PA, NJ, IL, MI, CO, and even TN, and more are soon to follow.

As a aside, Caesars Entertainment which itself was acquired by Eldorado Resorts a few months ago then changed the name back to the original name and is the owner of Bally's is buying William Hill.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Well don't I look dumb. They've been busy with deals from everywhere. It's basically been trade deadline day and a lot of deals going down

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

LionYeti posted:

It sounds like a fitness club

You're not wrong. It was a fitness club

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bally_Total_Fitness

A different Bally's now sells exercise appreal and equipment

https://ballytotalfitness.com/

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

What's the NHL equivalent of Red Sox vs Yankees cause that's what you're getting.

Piitsburgh-Washington

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
How would they handle domestic assault, drunk driving or gun possession charges?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Crazy Ted posted:

Nothing stateside as of the end of March.

No American rights for AFL would suck because when I have a hankering for Aussie Rules I will find the most questionable goddamn Chinese stream if I have to in order to watch a game.
It won't be all of them but I downloaded the 7plus app (via VPN) for this reason. It stinks that it's on in the middle of the night where I am though.