Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Aww, they added more synergies with wf for artificers? And here I am with all these robes. And hmm, is +damage rolls to repeaters gone*? (only seems to apply to nonrepeating crossbows now). Bows are looking great though.

*Nevermind, I can't read. Slight +damage to repeaters nerf since it's not there on all crossbow options. Back to griping about what they did to my poor capstone. ;) And skill points in UMD :( And planning a monkcher TR.

edit: V I think they were viable before this, but now they are more viable without doing extensive multiclass builds? More importantly, for ranger... tempest looks better.

Noricae fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
I've gained about 25-35 on most characters I've gone through. My artificer gained the most (183 to 211ish? maybe a bit more - because repeaters become spell based weapons, based on the + of the weapon). Really missing the old artificer capstone. I have a 13 cleric / 3 monk that has... a *lot* of build choices open for her and I think that synergy may result in a much higher increase. Kind of hard to fit 4-5 trees in on one character (maybe at cap).

And racial toughness not there on humans! Bah.

By the way, the above was all on characters that did not LR, so spellcraft is zil.

Noricae fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 20, 2013

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

DemonMage posted:

And yeah Monkchers have been viable every since last expansion really. It's (was?) better to do TWF until you hit 14 and get the Bow of Sinew (or Abbot bow but gently caress that), it's possible with the new changes that you can do straight bow from the start. It also seems like pure ranger arcane archers might actually be more viable now as well, or even Deepwood Snipers. So that's cool.
Yeah, the twf at low levels is what put me off of monkchers before, simply because I already have a few other monks or monk multiclasses and a boatload of normal twf characters or past lives and lots of lowbie bows.

Epic Feat make-a-wish: Greater Improved Precise Shot: "your improved precise shot now targets enemies in a 90 degree arc in front of you"

And gaining hp? Yes! I noticed that too but I didn't know why because, well I didn't see racial toughness. So that's why. And I am totally dropping toughness on some future builds (some classes are so tight on feats! druid, bard multiclasses, imo). Nice.

There was no way I was going to put 40 points into Arcanotechnician, so that (awesome) artificer capstone loss hurts. The focus on lightning and the dog is not great for my playstyle. I plan on a bunch of TRs on her (main), but any artificer lives may be heavily multiclassed. All rogue lives as rogue mechanic + arti multiclasses though! That looks great.

So: so far the enhancement pass has been great, but I do not have a sorcerer at cap and they may have gotten hit a bit. I'm happy and I think it opens up a lot of multiclass builds again.

My clonk is a mess. I really don't know what to do other than "put points everywhere and play like a melee" but I want allll the trees. But I just finished with her (16) and she's up 44 (positive) spell power (?! <3 shintao, and I only took a bit of it).

Noricae fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 20, 2013

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
The most useful pet in DDO has been that MoTU preorder panther (is that in the store separately?) and now maybe the owl bear pet? They survive a lot longer than my iron defender (which, to be honest, has also slowly wittled away enemies while I lay dead there at a final boss stage).

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Toughness - no! Only if you want epic toughness or 23 hp or want to stack 10 of them. Dagger, maybe? Changes in the rogue trees look interesting, and one enhancement (5th level) extends crit range by +1. It also extends kukris by +1 so midnight greetings is looking good (again?). I don't know about slicing blow but I assume it's still pitiful since I've heard nothing about it.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Woden posted:

edit: also of note hearts of wood no longer reset 20th lists and instead will give you just normal vendor trash.

Nooo! That's horrible! Glad I got my torc.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
I don't think there is, other than trying to use one and it won't let you. And yep, traps still kill you on heroic elite if you get hit a few times. In fact, stuff like Litany of the Dead's force trap parade or Crucible kills my lvl 25 arti with 44 reflex if I get hit more than a couple of times.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
FvS caster looked great, but I couldn't find any motivation to make a melee FvS build anytime. The bard enhancements look super underwhelming too, and they removed a tree so I guess more stuff is planned for them (please please)? I guess I'm glad my bard is a rogue multiclass because there is lots of nice potential there (would a repeater bard be more or less gimpy than an already pretty gimpy twf bard?).

And I LOVE the uncoupling feats from a lot of enhancements - notably the necro wizard uncoupling and the dragonmark reduction in feats. Also toughness. So much more room to experiment.

The people on the forum were complaining about the enhancements because they looked not this good a while back, and because everyone and their mother had a sorc farming EE content and they didn't want spellpower reductions ;)

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
They would make a killing in the store if they put in an item that bypasses rolling a 1=instafail ;)

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

DemonMage posted:

All the level 27 epic save feats do that, as do most/all of the destiny abilities to boost saves at tier 3.
Really? I need to look at the save boost abilities, and I guess open up more twists. Didn't know that about epic reflexes! Nice! I have too many feat slots on my artificer as is (ffs, I have dodge taken and was planning on all the mental toughnesses later since they seem to never be fixing combart archery) and have gotten my reflex into the mid 50s recently. Who needs evasion. :smug:

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Even solo, the second or third run of something is 8000% faster. I remember that end quest in Korthos being a slog my first run through. Don't give up! But yeah grouping is much nicer. At the very least you can laugh at the guy that died in a trap.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Chuch posted:

Ability to run at full speed while charging my Rune Arm
This is seriously the best thing ever. Considering I play a lot of the time with a tempest ranger (who is happy to be ungimped) with barb levels, it was a bit lame chugging wayyy behind him. I think I will need to take a look at the dog enhancements some more because I missed a regen skill! And the new enhancement trees made me wish I was a tincan :( Other than wishing I had a level or two of rogue (umd, crossbow, sneak dice) the pass has been great for artificers, agreed. I can't imagine having an unloved artificer alt (?!? does not compute).

edit: V damnit!

Noricae fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Aug 22, 2013

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
http://ddowiki.com/page/Nature%27s_Vengeance isn't too bad, and then Rahl's might (maybe) or just the Forgotten realms staff from turnins. And cross fingers for a Drow staff of the weaponmaster. But yeah they need to add a lot more non-mage options.

My bars look just like Wodens - but I have 2 stacks on the right side and all bars out. I really need them to add more skill bars to the game. I don't have any nonessential destiny stuff up either.

Noricae fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Aug 23, 2013

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Fenris13 posted:

Even thought it isn't a traditional melee weapon, http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Stave_of_the_Seer is pretty drat good for leveling a dex based QS build. The 1.5[2d6] is really good, and with shileagh and all the +[w] attacks in the new enhancement system, it hits like a truck for its level. Plus takes care of true seeing, and has two red slots.
I almost mentioned that but man.... I don't wish the curse of farming Restless Isles content (with insanely low drop rates) on anyone. That said, I did get one of these finally after three years of occasional farming so they're great (I just wish a lot of these items were bound to account on equip - I would buy an item from the store that converted BtC to BtA honestly).

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Woden posted:

Do other MMOs have these sort of outages or is Turbine just bad at the internet?
Pretty sure it's Turbine being bad at the internet. I mean worse than Cryptic? Sheesh. If it's just an isp issue, I can't imagine an isp not having emergency personnel on call, so likely something that requires a Turbine employee happened (again). Is it back up? *goes to try*

edit: I guess NOT. Made me patch and all and no go.

Noricae fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 2, 2013

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
I'd love for the +2 loot thing to be extended. All I was wanting to do was farm things!

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
The? The! The whattttt?! Haha.

I've gotten a lot of strange errors lately (since the downtime this weekend). Entrances to quests would not load, sometimes a boss would be invisible for me and not for my party, graphical placement glitches and the like. Just me? Just the Restless Isles (what I farmed a lot)?

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Sarlona's pretty much where it was a year (or two) ago - sort of middling, with what looks like a lot of LFMs up (30-40 during peak) but nearly everyone TRing, the occasional Caught in the Web or on level lower level raid, loot farming, and no one running Shroud (?!?!).

edit: Everyone wants to run elite in the LFM list. Whether or not they can handle it (usually not).

Noricae fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 11, 2013

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Haha, I forgot the adventure active part. That's always 40minutes in or more too. Reasons my cleric is always anonymous.

As if 3 more nincompoops joining the group will make it easier.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Richard M Nixon posted:

Of course, I know it's much more unforgiving when it comes to builds,
I think this is made up for the fact that you can actually MAKE builds that are wildly different from each other, even with the same class or even class combos. It's really so much more intricate than NWO (the lack of build customization was the biggest issue for me, then dungeon design). It's like chess compared to... not checkers, like maybe... jacks?

You should just play a few classes to level 5-7 if you can so you get an idea of what feats and progression is like, and take a look at the DDO character generator (has it been updated yet? Or is there an alternative)? You can usually salvage nearly any build by level 20 anyway, and if not, then reincarnate. Worth subscribing and/or unlocking most content for sure. It's not really essential for one of you to be a cleric or similar healer at all, but having one of you have trap skills makes things a LOT more fun, especially as a couple exploring quests for the first time (great game to duo, especially puzzle heavy quests).

Noricae fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 12, 2013

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Richard M Nixon posted:

I don't have much experience with multiclassing so I was considering going artifacer for the ability to do great damage (right?) while still being able to disarm
Sure, definitely a great class and my main/favorite now. Fairly overpowered at low levels (but tapers off at cap, and gets weaker but still very solo/duo friendly, esp if you have someone else taking aggro) but a blast at low levels. It may ruin other classes for you (low level cleric = zzz after arti).

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Richard M Nixon posted:

Didn't know arti were considered so OP, which I like.
Until about, oh, level 11-12 they are pretty OP, but then they get outpaced by other classes closer to cap. At cap (25+) they are middle, not great, but decent, dps, but very much able to do a lot of things especially if warforged (which is not at all essential, due to destinies and especially scroll healing ability). The aggro thing is more so that you can focus on doing multiple things as an artificer instead of being interrupted by enemies - it works great if someone holds aggro (maybe, likelier than not you will outdps anyway at lower levels) and you fire from a bit back, easily switch to healing if need be, or line up a bunch of enemies for improved precise shot. All stuff that's easier to do if you're not getting interrupted or bothered. Your turret (a timed summon that blasts fire in 360 degrees) will be the aggro holder until the early teens though, and the turret is a big reason low level artificers (esp level 5-9) are so OP, especially in undead content (turret becomes useless later on).

If you are happy taking aggro as an arti, you will get lots of chances to do so, but then have the other person be relatively self sufficient or carry a hireling. My first life as an artificer was spent playing with a (gimpy, 28 pt, undergeared) ranger (we were getting him to 20 to TR), so I was responsible for healing, aggro, traps, and most of the dps. I spent a few quests jumping in circles while skills recharged and scroll healing. (Said ranger could hold aggro at level 25 with Fury of the Wild capped out destiny, even half geared and whatnot, unless I unloaded a lot of things at once).

So anyway, it's a lot of fun, and let me tell you, an artificer + any other class is a lot more fun to duo as an ungeared set of players than... say, a paladin and a ranger was, which was my first set of characters with my bf. Ahaha, why yes, the paladin will take a level of rogue just for traps. That was six years ago :colbert: Don't judge.

The new enhancement revamp is great, by the way, and I think there are a lot of new builds and potential for experimentation out there currently. So yeah, it's a game with good design, great puzzles, run by a semi competently managed company in terms of hardware and updates (sigh).

Noricae fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 12, 2013

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

DemonMage posted:

[*]ML20 and 24 Eveningstar Challenge Items now cost the same number of ingredients as their ML16 counterparts. (ML20 = 1/2 as much, ML24 = 1/4 as much as before)
Oh look, the reason I was not farming for these items all fixed!

Also, oh poo poo, I'd better get my 25s to cap now. I wonder what the drop rate is for those +6s. Or hell +5s. "Signet trader" is making me think random % chance to get them, because I'm optimistic like that. Also gently caress dailies :(

DemonMage posted:

Pfft. Six years ago that was the total hotness, at least with two levels of rogue. Back then you could evade in full plate, paladin rogue was all the rage! Everyone was so pissed when they nerfed batman builds even though it was clearly not intended and was stated as not intended in the tooltip and by the devs.
Right! That's what I tell people still, but no one believes me. My poor level 8 Pal/Rog/Ftr just stands around the marketplace looking goofy nowadays.

Noricae fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 13, 2013

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

DemonMage posted:

And they don't drop. You have to kill the spectral dragon once a day for 4 days to get 4 signets and turn it in.
Oh nice, set trade in points. That's... not bad. What the hell am I going to do with +6s without +5s. Maybe they will be BtA? And it's unfortunate that the runes also share the same signet tradein.

Is it one signet per account or character? (I assume you don't know or you would have said, so I'm just rambling and clearing my schedule for... *checks Mabar dates*)

edit: From the forums: "Don't use this stupid mechanic of Neverwinter of "Daily Quests" This! So irritating.

And.. have they announced a set date when it'll be back? I can't find any info on Lammania so far.

Noricae fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 13, 2013

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Oh, not sure why I read that as an upgrade tome. Upgrade tome is what they should do, since that would be the sneakiest way to sell store tomes, honestly. That sounds interesting, but daily is going to get annoying fast. The runes look interesting too.

Noricae fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 13, 2013

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
I assume everything stays and heroic TR is separate now, but the wording for the second point was way confusing. Also now will people on the forums stop complaining that they don't get listened to? No? Ok, I thought not.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
The biggest design change (that no one asked for) was Epic XP staying permanently? Which is.. incredible.

edit: Also, so I haven't touched any of the new content (haven't bought it yet) - is there a new hub city for any Shadowfell content? Or are people just not running it so much that the brokers are nearly empty in Eveningstar?

Noricae fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 14, 2013

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

DemonMage posted:

[*]You don't have to max a specific destiny, you just need to earn experience inside of a sphere to be able to get one of the spheres past life feats
Aha, so only level 28 matters. Interesting.

Yeah, Eveningstar is dead - more dead than it was before the update, on Sarlona. I thought there wasn't a hub but... maybe everyone is TRing bigtime.

Woden posted:

we found out that +4 tomes aren't dropping in ML 27 chests anymore. So no real point in doing them other than fun.
Boo! Ok, thanks. I think I'll wait for a sale on the expansion then.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Novasol posted:

It's simpler than you think it is. Slot in Firewall or Ice Storm, round up a bunch of enemies at once, and cast it. Watch them all die horribly.
... while hopping around inside the firewall or ice storm (so jump yourself since it's handy). For harder things (bosses) slap on all your decent damage over time spells: niac's, black dragon bolt, eladar's, and optionally acid rain if things are melee (and refresh until dead). There are a lot of spells that aren't so great, but the above list is a list of good damage to spell point cost spells.

Noricae fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Sep 17, 2013

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
What is a good use for Protection from Evil (Magic Circle) especially? I carry scrolls of it on my arcane/artificer but I almost never cast it and I'm starting to wonder whether I should prune it. I also forgot that about globe of invulnerability and mindflayers - thanks!

Scorching ray is one of my two skills I cycle and spam often, but I wasn't sure how much this was the standard (and it gets annoying on fire resistant/immune bosses). (The other is arcane bolt :D). So.... if I'm still an Archmage, I'm missing out? Self healing is no issue, so I skipped opening the full line of Pale Master forms, especially since I'm not pure wiz.

Noricae fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 17, 2013

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

DemonMage posted:

[Edit] And yeah the Protection from Evil is what he said, it's not uncommon for cleric mobs to cast it and it's super cheap to prevent it. Also important to know that Protection from Evil items and the guild ship buff for it don't work like the spell/work at all last I heard.
That's what I forgot! That the items are bugged (?) and it's not the same as the spell.

Game_Whino posted:

If you didn't take anything in the pale master tree you're missing out on 2 int (1 dc), free DR/slashing, extra hit points, and whatever else is there that you might find interesting.
I did; I grabbed the int, and a handful of other things, but I didn't unlock past Wraith in the base abilities (just 20 AP spent) because I don't have any necro feats and poor spell pen on my wizard until he TRs. I'll give it a shot and see how it works (never played a PM) and whether it's worthwhile on a warforged/2rogue at all. Is necrotic blast any good (or do sufficient monsters have low fort saves, compared to reflex) or just like the arcane ones, only bolt is worth it?

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
I love that guide (and the 'lives of a...' series) but I can't come close to those runs timewise. Maybe on run 5 or so of the same thing in a row I will have memorized it to be fast enough, but I dawdle and feel compelled to not run into orange or higher dungeon alerts, and then there's 5-10minutes loading dungeon maps and alt-tabbing around. Real life time > just the run itself, so sometimes I will run quests that have bad time/exp ratio technically but I have memorized all the side puzzles and whatnot and spend time doing those. Like the rat maze Necro quest :D I'm one of those broken people that love this quest (not on melee, esp rogue, lives!). In fact levels 16+ of the couple of rogue lives I've done have been so tedious that I'm aiming for future runs to be all arti+rogue or sorc+rogue+LR, even though I like playing a capped rogue (who's staying at cap).

By the way, have date(s) for Mabar been announced yet?

Noricae fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 22, 2013

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

DemonMage posted:

Mabar Sneak Preview tonight from 6pm-midnight Eastern. I just love six hour events with no notice.
What the hell! >.< Aww these signets are going to stress me out. Are 25s in a separate instance or with 28s?

edit: Shoot, 26+ isn't it. I'm going to have to level...

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
I love my runearm! It's at least a third of my damage at level 25 (force spec'd, with force gear - still not wanting to switch to acid). I didn't *use* it much at all until level 18 because it didn't do much damage at all (until you get high level force, acid or electric imo). Playstyle of arti was so different at level 4, 12 and 25, so as long as you like learning a new way to play at about those points, it's a great class :)

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Oh thank god, Shadow Crypt is still intact. Vol is kind of a bummer, but the others I never really ran or would happily trade for more options at 18+ or a reason to run Partycrashers. 'Unintended constant' is hilarious (it only took us five years to find it! - turbine).

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
I really like those House C quests (am I in the minority? think so), so I'm glad to see those xps buffed! Looks pretty good overall. Also nice to add a +5 tome, but 5k favor grind is pretty awful. Maybe in a year with more content...

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
That's EITHER if you finished a raid OR did a TR? (Any raid? or Epic raid only)? If heroic that sounds pretty lenient. If epic, then I'd better go TR some people asap.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Wait! Crap! My tokens of the twelve will be useless for hearts after this? About how much time does 1k+ commendations of valor represent?

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Woden posted:

Comms of Valor are BTC, old Hearts from tokens are BTC and don't stack.
Right, what a pain. I wish they'd change them to BtA for a bit :/ 17 comms is hilarious but I'm expecting screwage.

I guess this means zero updates to the Cannith challenges since the main legacy use for them would be gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Heh, I played Neverwinter until 60 and then grouped a bunch (as cleric). So you think playing DDO clerics is masochistic? Think again. It gets much much worse.

It's really not a D&D game except in minor lore though. Leveling is fun in a treadmill kind of way and there are some good modules made by players (better than 90% of the other content, which is already 300% better than the other Cryptic games' content). But yeah it made me miss DDO and actual puzzles* and character decisions and builds.

*which DDO is great for if you have a really poor memory and like figuring things out again and again (if you want, which I sometimes do, especially if there are any light puzzles in the quest).

Neverwinter: you cannot set your starting stats and roll between 3 main ones (17 str, 18 wis and 15 int? or maybe 15 str, 15 wis and 18 int? and permutations in between, but not lower than any mentioned values) and can't really screw your build over. That says enough about the D&Dness. After DDO, uh, I'd probably go to The Secret World or back to single player D&D stuff.

Noricae fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 19, 2013

• Locked thread