Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I absolutely love Elseworlds, and in fact, for the longest time the only comics I had were crossovers (mostly with Aliens and Predators) and Elseworlds. I loved The Doom that came to Gotham (Lovecraft fan here), and the more I learned about the DCU, the more I understood it, which is always fascinating. One thing I think The Doom that came to Gotham has over most of the other ones is the length, it's three 48-page books so it has the space to develop a solid story, while Gotham by Gaslight and Master of the Future, while I enjoyed them, both felt too short to me, they didn't have the space to tell a good mystery like they wanted.

The Batman: Vampire trilogy was pretty good, the end of the third volume is certainly one of those endings you don't really expect (though those purple suits the team wore were the silliest and meshed poorly with the action and story). The Batman/Lobo Elseworlds was... a thing. It's a manic story where it's prestige format doesn't hurt it because there's not a whole lot there to begin with. It does some Elseworlds things (Batman's loyal butler James Gordon and Commisioner Pennyworth, Jimmy Olsen alias Superman, though he's merely mentioned, things like that), and I enjoy reading it but I can't possibly call it good. The art is insane, the story refuses to be serious even when terrible things happen, it has a completely ludicrous twist at the end...

At some point I intend to pick up The Nail and Red Son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

picosecond posted:

Did the Batman/Judge Dredd crossovers count as Elseworlds or were they part of main DC continuity?

I generally don't count crossovers as Elseworld, mainly because there is at least one example of a crossover having the Elseworlds tag (Batman/Captain America, set during WWII. I've only flipped through it, but it seems pretty good). Loved the Batman/Judge Dredd crossovers though (I need to pick up the new fancy collection that has the story missing from the earlier collection plus the Lobo/Judge Dredd crossover).

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Looking at that list of What If? stories, it's kinda amazing how many of the same stories were turned into actual story lines (thematically if not directly).

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Pixeltendo posted:

When you start to run out of ideas always look towards what ifs and steal from their!

Nobody will ever know that ross was already a hulk before!

Or that Spiderman's clone lived, or that the Hulk became a barbarian, or that Wolverine was an agent of SHIELD (an Avenger counts, right? I actually don't read too much Marvel).

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

God drat I loving love 2099. My dad collected comics in the '90's, so I read the first issue of Spider-Man 2099, all chrome and '90's as poo poo. Was that Kirkman attempt Marvel Knight's 2099? Yeah, that was pretty poo poo.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Matlock posted:

I'm always a fan of times when Alfred saves the day.

Batman vs. Predator had the best.

CapnAndy posted:

The Super Seven

That sounds awesome.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

1001 Emerald Nights was interesting. I loved the way it looked, but the writing was middling (sometimes good, sometimes trying too hard to fit Green Lantern type dialogue into the setting). The end got silly, but it was fun enough.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Hollis posted:

What were those Elseworlds where it was just normal everyday people embodying Superman. I can't recall it.

That Realworlds thing they did? I think they had a whole line of them, or at least like, five.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

As it turns out, DC Nation had a series of shorts, one of which is essentially an Elseworlds bit, The Bat Man of Shanghai. It looks loving great. It doesn't have a whole lot of substance to it (it is only three minutes all together, after all), but drat it looks nice. I would read/watch it if they did something more with it.

All three shorts are on DC's official Youtube, so I'm assuming it's safe to post links:
Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

KomradeX posted:

Does DC still do any of the Elseworlds stuff? I can't think of anything really recent. I've noticed some people will mark Flashpoint (which I really liked) as one but considering that it was the lead into New 52 (which I don't like) I'm not sure if it should count.

Also they really need to get some of those older Elseworlds stuff back into print. I had to download The Doom that Came to Gotham and it really should have been bundled in with Gothman by Gaslight imo.

I wish they did. It was Elseworlds and crossovers that got me into comics in the first place, in fact, my first comic was Batman vs Predator 2, and my first non-crossover comic was The Doom that Came to Gotham. I don't think that Gotham by Gaslight even had the Tales from the Multiverse label, I think only the Batman: Vampire trilogy did.

I would love if they would re-release their Elseworlds. They do have a couple shorts from their DC Nation block that are Elseworlds, but there's only a couple of them (I can think of The Bat Man of Shanghai and their Wonder Woman short).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

Question, are any of the Marvel Noir stories worth reading, particularly the X-Men Noir? I was skimming the Wikipedia page for them and they seem like they could be either good or bad.

Spider-Man Noir was pretty good. Thought the sequel was solid enough as well? Punisher Noir was interesting. Wolverine Noir was kinda odd.

• Locked thread