Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Problem is, I'm getting this strange glitch where I'll be going along in the wilderness and all of the sudden I enter an area where the groundcover will stop and my arrows will wait about 2 seconds after I shoot to spawn and fly forward. Eventually the groundcover will populate and things will go back to normal, but it's a bit jarring. And I crashed a bit after that, half a second after quicksaving. When I try to load that save, I just CTD a second or two after loading. :smith: Anyone run into anything similar?

The groundcover stopping happens to me briefly whenever I save - it's mostly noticeable because I've got an autosave mod that will catch me by surprise. Most of my crashing on saving or loading were fixed by this skse .ini tweak (the part under memory). Dunno if that helps at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical

Oggumogoggum posted:

I was able to run Lootification with Wintermyst. It's working fine; I have the items ingame and everything.

Also the enchantments are pretty cool. I like mods that just add more variety to existing stuff.

Yeah, for me it just took a super long time. Watched a 45-minute video while it ran in the background, and when the video ended it was done. :shrug:

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical

flashman posted:

I've got hunterborn 1.3.1 installed (I don't have the Dawnguard DLC) and yet it doesn't seem like it does anything to any of the creatures I've been killing. I've slaughtered loads of goats and rabbits and stuff but still just loot them as normal, no prompt window or anything pops up? It shows it in SkyUI MCM, but theres no turn on option or anything like that.

If I recall correctly, you do have to turn it on in MCM, but it isn't very obvious. Should be in the first menu under Hunterborn in MCM, it may say something like "Hunterborn is currently not running". Sorry I can't be more detailed, using my mac right now so I can't check.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical

pmchem posted:

getting a weird glitch, just like this guy's: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/615805-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/69533098

that 'level up' message shows up and doesn't go away, after I start a new game (just getting out of wagon). no mods, just enboost. launched from steam instead of MO/SKSE to avoid mods. Any experience with that bug here? GTX 980, 1440p, max prettiness settings.

I had this problem. Only solution I found removed the level up message entirely - even when you open up the menu to level up, the option will be blank. But it's the only thing I've found that works. It goes: open up Skyrim\Data\Interface\Translate_ENGLISH.txt . Search for "$LEVEL UP". There should be two "LEVEL UP"s on that line. Replace the second one with a space and save. You still get the noise, and you can tell when you can level up when you open the menu because the top option will be blank rather than saying skills. Annoying, but less annoying than a permanent message on my screen, at least for me. Never found anyone who could figure out what was causing it, and it doesn't seem mod-related. One of Bethesda's bugs, I guess. Definitely let us know if you find a better solution.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
Speaking of perk bugs, has anyone else encountered a bug where zooming in (with that archery perk) doesn't have a constant level of zoom - it jerks in and out quickly, making it impossible to aim while trying to zoom? I haven't found anyone else with this problem after googling, and it's super annoying - playing as an archer is way harder than it needs to be. It seems to happen more outdoors than indoors.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
And if you enable smithing experience for smelting and tanning, it should affect all recipes at smelters and tanners - so you would get experience for SPERG salvage. So don't check those boxes if you don't want experience.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical

Kraven Moorhed posted:

I like having tanning experience on but it clashes with Frostfall: the tanning racks you create with Survival Skills don't repack if you enable that setting.

Yeah, the tanning experience works by intercepting the use tanner call, so anything else that does that conflicts. I hadn't encountered that (I don't use those tanning racks), but maybe I'll make another patch, like the one I made for CCOR + crafting cloud storage, whenever I take a break from Dragon Age.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

IS disabling specific components something I do through SkyUI in game or handled with MO prior to loading up?

In-game - SkyUI has a mod configuration menu where you can disable those components (some others are enabled/disabled on mod installation, but you would have been prompted by MO, and that isn't the case here)

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical

Helith posted:

Well, I can't seem to track any obvious cause as to why the Light Armorer perk isn't working. Keywords are present on the relevant armors and there are no conflicts present according to TESVEdit. The few other perks I've taken in the smithing and light armor trees are working fine, so whatever the problem is it's specifically with that one perk.
Unless anyone has any ideas I'm going to write it off as a Skyrim quirk and forget about it.

I don't have time right now to do any digging, but I've found that mods with scripts affecting crafting stations can conflict in ways that TESVEdit can't spot. Do you have any crafting mods?

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical

Scyantific posted:

OP Overhaul has started. Looking for any mod suggestions and modding tips that you guys may have so they can be added to the OP.

Firstly, definitely mention the SKSE ini tweak.
Secondly, I went through my mod list looking at stuff not in the OP or recommended just now. Here are the ones I thought significant (I have not thoroughly tested these, but they have not caused me significant issues):
Clothing & Clutter Fixes - By kryptopyr, the same guy as weapon and armor fixes. Fixes little inconsistencies in clothing and such.
Harvest Overhaul - Makes the amount harvested from plants correspond better to how much material there appears to be.
Atlas Map Markers - Adds a whole bunch of map markers. Map Overhaul asks you to install this.
Camping Kit of the Northern Ranger - a craftable set of placeable camping equipment, including an enterable tent.
Tumbajamba's Mounts - not very well integrated, but the mounts sure do look badass
AutoSave Manager - Configurable autosaves (you can, for instance, make it autosave whenever you exit combat or discover a location)
Lootification - If you add any new weapons, armors, or enchantments, this will generate item/enchant pairs and add them to leveled lists
More plants and recipes for Hearthfire - Lets you grow more plants in the gardens added by Hearthfire, including plants added by Dawngaurd and Dragonborn
Tundra Defense - Let's you build your own outpost. Haven't tried it out yet. Author "considers it done"
Better Fast Travel - Carriages and Ships - Overhauled - Adds carriages etc that go to smaller villages - useful if your alternate start sticks you in the middle of nowhere. Author is looking for someone to take over, may not be updating.
Fight Against the Thalmor - A series of quest mods that add missions to counteract Thalmor actions.
Stable uGridsToLoad - supposed to help with crashes.
Helgen Reborn - let you help rebuild Helgen after the events of the intro
Wearable Lanterns - Adds lanterns that can attach to your belt, so that you don't have to have a free hand to use them. Optionally, these lanterns can require refueling.
Hearthfire Building Materials out of More Metals - A goon mod that lets you make house parts out of more metals, so you aren't constantly searching for iron
ASIS Improved INI Files - Goon config for ASIS, makes it better
INIGO - Khajit follower who isn't poo poo
Enchantment Reload Fix - fixes a bug that affects how fast enchantment charges drain and gold values after saving and reloading
TwoRings - Lets you equip two rings at once.
Dynamic Torches - Let you remove torches from emplacements
Horse Branding - adds a branding iron that lets you make horses yours, so you can steal them permanently
Crime Bounty Decay - Makes it so that your bounty in one hold slowly decays while you are in another hold
Night Eye Overhaul - Tweaks the night eye power and makes it available as a spell or enchantment
Royal Bloodline - Vampire lord improvements, including an overhaul of their perk tree
Moonlight Tales - Werewolf overhaul
Bloodmoon Rising - Moonlight Tales expansion for dawngaurd
Deadly Poisons - increases the strength of poisons
KenMOD - Time on loading screen - Puts the IRL time on your loading screens, so you go to bed before dawn maybe
Wet and Cold - Adds effects to wetness and coldness, including NPC responses to weather
BLESSINGS - Altar Descriptions - lets you know what praying at an altar will do
Guess the Distance - adds a power that tells you various information, including distance, about the target you are aiming at
Firewood - Ingot - Ore weight reduction and Axe and Pickaxe Weight Overhaul - Makes these items less heavy
Open and Lock Spells - adds spells to open locks or lock things, as in previous games
Jaxonz Positioner - "in-game decorating tool" super useful
LOHS - Lanterns on Horse Saddles - Adds a lantern to horses, making them much easier to find
Crafting cloud storage and retrieval - Adds storage to crafting stations that is shared between all stations of the same type - so you don't have to remember where you put those iron ingots.
Arissa - The Wandering Rogue - Goon-recommended companion mod - have not tried it personally yet
Dawn of Skyrim Collection - A collection of the various "Dawn of City" city overhauls. Unlike the main competitor, JK's city overhauls, Dawn features no purring rats occupying Riften.
A Matter of Time - A HUD clock widget - Put the in-game time in the corner. Useful if you have mods that make nighttime dangerous and you need to know how much time you have before then.
Great Jar Hunt and Skyrim Unique Treasures - add little things scattered about to collect or sell. Compatible with Legacy of the Dragonborn
Helm of Oreyn Bearclaw and Lord's Mail - Adds the Morrowind artifacts to Skyrim

I was getting a little tired of writing descriptions by the end, and I can't be bothered to sort, but I hope it helps regardless. I also have some player homes and one-off armors and weapons installed if you want a whole bunch of those.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
IIRC, Weaponizer adds combat hammers, which are one-handed. They don't look much like hammers a smith would use, though.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical

razorrozar posted:

Was able to salvage all but two or three mods off the Nexus and elsewhere, but I have another question - I've never installed SkyRe with MO before, how do I run the reproccer patcher? Or does MO do that automatically?

If I can solve this I should have a good install ready to go.

I knew I had had the problem with the steam workshop before and had solved it, but couldn't remember how. I think I remember now - it was a permissions issue. Is skyrim installed to your program files? If it is, try moving it/reinstalling elsewhere. If it isn't, check permissions where it is installed and make sure you have all the rights you need.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical

razorrozar posted:

I hosed something up. It worked once, but crashed when I tried to pick a race, and now every time I go to start a new game it crashes. I have no idea what I did wrong and I've been dealing with this poo poo all drat day. Anyone got a clue?

Should SkyUI be that low in the load order? I let LOOT and MO handle it but that doesn't seem right. Also, I'm using the latest beta version of SKSE because RaceMenu asked for it; would that cause any problems?

Crashing when picking a race made me look at things modifying races - I see you have a Dremora Race mod, but I don't have any experience with it. Is it compatible with RaceMenu? I couldn't find anything about compatibility with a quick google - if you haven't used the two together before, try removing one and see if that fixes things. RaceMenu + whatever SKSE it asked for has been pretty stable for me.

e: You might take any advice from me right now with a grain of salt; I'm pretty sick and my brain isn't working so great.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical

razorrozar posted:

I pulled the dremora race, the skeleton race, and Skyrim Unbound (:sigh:) and now it's working seemingly flawlessly. I guess it's vanilla start for me.

Would running Steam as admin fix that? Like I said I got 95% of my mods back from elsewhere but the ones just on the Workshop include a couple of good ones still.

It's not Skyrim Unbound, but Live Another Life is also an option if you can't get unbound working, and is still less likely to break weirdly than the vanilla start.

Running as admin might work, but it might make weird problems with the resulting files and MO. I'd recommend trying a permission change if you have admin access - right click on the Skyrim folder and select properties. Go to the security tab, and click edit. You'll want to give either the user you're currently using or all users (I can't remember which, all users is more general, listed as "Users") full permissions. If you go with the user you are currently using, and it's not in the list, you can add it with the add button. The interface is a little funky for that - just type the user name in the white box and hit ok. Once you've got the user/users you want in the list, select it, and click the box under "Allow" next to "Full Control" and hit apply/ok on both windows that should be open. This should let you/Skyrim access and modify everything in the folder (at the cost of some theoretical security), and that way you don't run the risk of downloading a mod from the workshop and having it be registered as the property of admin (which could cause issues with secondary programs like MO running as a regular user and not being able to access the mods). I can't absolutely guarantee this'll work in Program Files, but it's worth a try. These instructions should be good on 7 - I don't have my 8 machine near me and moving is too much effort right now. Hopefully these instructions are coherent, and it works. Checking permissions can also solve some weird issues in other programs too sometimes.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
Trainwiz, never change. Looks like I have some followers for my next silly/horrifying run.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
Hmm, personally I'd skip SPERG first time - getting the perks on level up to work properly can take a tiny bit of fiddling, and I don't recall the vanilla perk system being that bad. On the other hand, I may be remembering wrong, since it's literally been years since I played with vanilla perks. Definitely get SkyUI though - there is no reason to suffer vanilla UI, which is that bad. Also definitely get the unofficial patches if you don't already have them.
Also, the second post in the thread has a list of mods for first time players - looks pretty good to me, focused on fixes for broken things. Personally, I'd also consider adding Complete Crafting Overhaul Remade - it is a bit more involved than the others, but adds some nice things, like melting down stuff (also included in SPERG if you do go with it) and general neatening of crafting menus. It is less clear cut than just the fixes for a first run through. Maybe check out the vanilla crafting and see if it annoys you - if something does, there's a good chance CCOR can help fix it.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical

Skwirl posted:

is there anything like CASM for Skyrim? I know Skyrim doesn't have the crashing problems of the Fallout games, but too often I'll forget to quicksave while wandering around the outdoors, get in a fight I can't handle, and bam my most recent autosave is from 40 minutes of walking ago. Or one that made quicksaves create multiple rotating slots even, I hate having to open the menu every time I want to have multiple saves.

I use this AutoSave Manager. Not exactly the same, but after you set it up in the menu, it does the job. Note that it won't do much by default, so you do have to configure it, and there is a weird split-second graphical glitch when it saves. It's saved my bacon though - the option to save on leaving combat is super nice after difficult fights.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical

Rincewind posted:

Can anybody recommend some good hairstyle mods? All the ones I've seen on Steam Workshop are like these ludicrous anime hairs, and even though as a Final Fantasy XIV player I appreciate anime hair in proper contexts, it looks out of place in Skyrim.

I use Lore Styles Hair Set and Lovely Hairstyles myself. The latter has a few that are a bit too fancy for the setting, but also some very nice ones.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
I'm having a problem - every time I try to download a reasonably large mod (for example, USLEEP or Immersive Armors) from the nexus, the zip is broken ("data error" when unzipping). Any other site is fine, but not everything is available elsewhere. I've tried: downloading multiple times, downloading with MO, downloading with 2 different browsers, downloading with a download manager, switching to a premium server, switching whether the download thing is a new page or pop-up on page, and "redownloading" (as opposed to deleting and downloading again). Is anyone else having this problem? Does anyone have a workaround or something else to try? It's not like my internet is bad, I hit the download speed limit on non-premium and manage about 4MB/s using premium servers, so I don't think it's connection-related, at least on my end. I've been trying off and on about a week.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical

NiftyBottle posted:

I'm having a problem - every time I try to download a reasonably large mod (for example, USLEEP or Immersive Armors) from the nexus, the zip is broken ("data error" when unzipping). Any other site is fine, but not everything is available elsewhere. I've tried: downloading multiple times, downloading with MO, downloading with 2 different browsers, downloading with a download manager, switching to a premium server, switching whether the download thing is a new page or pop-up on page, and "redownloading" (as opposed to deleting and downloading again). Is anyone else having this problem? Does anyone have a workaround or something else to try? It's not like my internet is bad, I hit the download speed limit on non-premium and manage about 4MB/s using premium servers, so I don't think it's connection-related, at least on my end. I've been trying off and on about a week.

Apparently the solution is to download using my Macbook Air :confuoot:. Rather inconvenient. I guess the problem is on my computer. Just posting this in case anyone else has this problem, I guess try another computer.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
With respect to housing mods -
Elianora makes nice houses
Reddit held a house making contest, and Haafinheim won it. It's probably pretty good.

Normally I'd be more help, but I recently redid my loadout and health issues are preventing me from playing to test the house mods.

e: looked back at my posting history to see if I recommended any in the past, the only one seems to be Camping Kit of the Northern Ranger, which is a craftable/placable tent which sort of qualifies, if not as an actual house, then at least a house-like thing. I know some things have come out since using Campfire as a basis, so it may not be the best tent mod anymore.

NiftyBottle fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jul 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
A few things for you GunnerJ:

Was mentioned earlier but not directed at you, so here it is again:
Modern Brawl Bug Fix - Enai Siaion made an updated brawl bugs patch which should work better than the original, although I don't know if it would break the cheat patch.

Also, Imperious and Disparity are compatible with a patch found in Imperious' optional files. Probably worth mentioning that they aren't exclusive.

To add yet another version of Morrowloot, there is Morrowloot Ultimate Simplified. It's Morrowloot Ultimate with the stuff not related to weapons and armor (like level scaling, alchemy, and uncapper inis) stripped out.

Edit: You might wanna add a mod that lets you equip multiple rings and/or amulets. I personally use TwoRings. I think a mod that is more unlimited is preferred by goons, but I don't remember what it was.

NiftyBottle fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 21, 2016

• Locked thread