Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Steamworks is literally click "subscribe" and then when you fire up the skyrim launcher let it load up your mods the first time through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Wiltsghost posted:

Are there any good sound related mods? I don't mind how it sounds, just curious if anyone has any ideas for something more.

Something like this? http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=143840115

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

I wouldn't think it'd affect the balance much beyond allowing you to level slower, as your main skills are going to take more use to raise. Lockpicking and any of the others you dumpstered might make up for it, but I've never tried setting a skill below 15, so I'm pretty curious about it honestly!

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

ded posted:

Two of the best mods out there.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/4390/

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/4385/

Tails can get the gently caress out.

You monster. :negative: Floaty Khajiit tails are hilarious and amazing.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've searched on and off for one since Skyrim came out, but is there a mod that makes followers less...robust? I like having Lydia around, but she pretty handily steamrolls everything we encounter and trivializes a lot of combat--even with mods that make the game more difficult in general. I could leave her at the entrance but, like I said, I like the company and the ability to actually have them participate in fights. Also, short of me accidentally planting an arrow in the back of her head when she was down on one knee, I've pretty much never seen a follower legitimately die. I guess enemies ignore them the instant they're in a "defeated" mode, so it becomes somewhat unlikely for followers to actually die in combat.

So basically, is there a mod that scales back the effectiveness of followers and/or increases the likelihood of a follower getting killed?

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/15524/ This is about the closest that comes to mind, it lets you manually adjust their skill points, so you could simply choose to hold back from min/maxing them, keep their armor and combat skills lower, etc.

I think you'd need to actually change part of the combat ai so characters don't stop attacking even when someone yields or is down, to get enemies to follow through and kill your followers.

Chalupa Picada fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 11, 2013

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Weather is definitely something that can hurt your performance, sometimes the fog or rain that rolls through with Frostfall will make it chug loading a new cell for a couple seconds. My PC runs solidly on medium settings, and ENB performance can vary pretty wildly. I really haven't found one I liked that ran well enough overall yet or I'd give you some recommendations. A lot of things like the HD texture pack really don't hurt much at all as long as I'm not using maxed out ranges for the detail fade on objects, grass, etc. Same goes for things like better glaciers, lush grass, better tree details, etc., as long as you keep the view distance reasonable, your PC can probably handle better quality textures.

SPERG requires SKSE and SkyUI, so you need to make sure you get everything you need. It's a huge improvement over vanilla though, since things like the skill tree progressions make way more sense and the skills you unlock tend to feel more relevant and useful, instead of just being a requirement for something further up the tree. Lockpicking might be the best example:

quote:

Automatic perks
Security (Novice) - Your lockpicking skill makes locks easier to pick.
Luck (Apprentice) - Find more gold in chests.
Seeker (Adept) - 50% greater chance of finding special treasure.
Locksmith (Expert) - Pick starts close to the lock opening position.
Unbreakable (Master) - Lockpicks never break.

Specialization perks
Bash Locks - You may attempt to open locked doors and containers by bashing them.
Inside Man - Allows access to inconspicuous chests placed outside of town jails. These are used for laundering stolen goods and paying discounted fines.
Adventurous Parry - Blocking with a torch is twice as effective.
Thief - Able to pick locks without being noticed. Carrying capacity is increased by 100.
Blinding Bash - Bashing opponents with a torch gives their attacks against you a 30% chance to become a glancing blow (10% damage) for 8 seconds.
Blazing Bash - Fire damage from your torch bash is significantly increased and may cause opponents to run in fear.
Dungeon Delver - Chaurus, skeevers, and spiders are friendly until attacked. Gain use of the Dungeon Sense lesser power.
Dungeon Sense - Dwemer Automatons are friendly until attacked. Grants 30% shock resistance and increases the variety of dwemer scrap metal that may be melted into ingots.

versus the original tree:

quote:

Novice Locks - Novice locks are much easier to pick.
Apprentice Locks - Apprentice locks are much easier to pick. - 25 Lockpicking
Quick Hands - Able to pick locks without being noticed. - 40 Lockpicking
Wax Key - Automatically gives you a copy of a picked lock's key if it has one. - 50 Lockpicking
Adept Locks - Adept locks are much easier to pick. - 50 Lockpicking
Expert Locks - Expert locks are much easier to pick. - 75 Lockpicking
Golden Touch - Find more gold in chests. - 60 Lockpicking
Treasure Hunter - 50% greater chance of finding special treasure. - 70 Lockpicking
Locksmith - Pick starts close to the lock opening position. - 80 Lockpicking
Unbreakable - Lockpicks never break. - 100 Lockpicking
Master Locks - Master locks are much easier to pick. - 100 Lockpicking

Every tree has been given that much attention and actually made different character approaches feel viable without necessarily relying on specific trees every time. But yeah, according to the nexus page, importing characters is possible! You might be more interesting in starting over just to experience how different it can make leveling though.

Monster mods kinda vary depending on what they're adding or changing, but probably wouldn't hurt your existing game. Just check the information provided on the mods description page to make sure everything is actually compatible. But yeah modding this game is a lot of trial and error, so using something like the NMM or other mod manager that isn't permanently changing your files can be pretty helpful. Also a good idea to get familiar with BOSS and TES5Edit.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Try this link: http://www.creationkit.com/index.php?title=TES5Edit_Cleaning_Guide_-_TES5Edit&oldid=39975

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/3829/ Deadly Dragons is probably what you're looking for. I haven't used it since it got updated to use SkyUI's MCM menu, but the different customization options should let you increase the spawn timer and keep the difficulty manageable.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Raygereio posted:

The people who don't know how to make it all work properly and post here aren't an indication of a major flaw in MO. It just indicates MO could probably use some better documentation.

Yeah this is pretty much me! I figure when MO is as easy for me to use as NMM or if I need to do a fresh install, I'll make the switch, but for now I've got everything working just fine through NMM. Just doesn't seem worth the effort to change over and at best get the same results I have now while potentially having things stop working correctly going by what's been said in this thread.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

cams posted:

Am I going to run into any problems legendary-ing a skill with SPERG?

You shouldn't. It certainly makes the magic skill trees more manageable, especially thanks to having much more useful perks. I haven't played a melee character with SPERG yet, but the "thief" skill trees level up reasonably too.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Yeah if this doesn't do it and Cicero hasn't even shown up yet, you could try hitting up Loreius farm north of Whiterun along the road. That's where you can first run into him, although it shouldn't be necessary, you could see if doing the associated quest gets the DB questline working again. Everything after those first three contracts should start once Cicero shows up with the Night Mother though. So yeah, if he's not -anywhere- you could the setstage console commands for DB03, which should complete Mourning Never Comes and should trigger Whispers in the Dark.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Appreciate all the effort dude! It looks great. :shobon:

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Gyshall posted:

loving finally, Morrowind style rechant over time:

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/42356//

Yeah that should go in the OP, great mod.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

It's super fun! I took a Khajiit unarmed dude up to like level 50 and never got tired of piledriving, suplexing, and chokeslamming fools who got in my way.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Ernie Muppari posted:

There doesn't happen to be a Skyrim mod similar to Nights are Darker for New Vegas does there? I'd love nights that feel more like night, but that aren't so dark that it's impossible to do anything during them.

ENB dickery is probably your best bet, as far as I know.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Not that the nexus servers aren't poo poo, but with the seasonal steam sales, Skyrim's been seeing a huge spike in sales, so I'm sure that's not helping at all either.

Really wish more mod authors would take advantage of the steam workshop.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

Looks like he used http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/6239/

Swole Khajit and Argonian mod. I actually think it looks a little goofy, but.

Hey man, playing as Killer Croc in Skyrim seems like a pretty great idea to me.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Steamworks would be great if the modding community weren't so far up their collective asses that they considered releasing outside of nexus. Although a lot of mods also require a good bit of tweaking to get working together, so NMM and MO have really apparent advantages with stuff like load order.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Agents are GO! posted:

From a page ago:

Basically, install that and brawls become anything goes, which is great when you don't know what exactly is breaking brawls. I don't plan to play without it again. :)

(Install it on top of the original Brawl Bugs Patch.)

edit: Bob Ross is coming along well!

I re-did his face by using the ingame character edit and then exporting it. I think this is as good as *I* can do. If somebody reading this can do a better one, gimme a holler.

He even has a unique, lore-friendly summon! :)

I am now busily downloading bob ross MP3s so I can splice together some dialogue.

He needs to be able to summon Dryads; happy little trees!

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Need to make an armor mod for one of those big ol honkin' titty body mods, that's just one of those "MY EYES ARE UP HERE" tshirts

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Man the clothing textures in that screenshot are nice

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Smegma Princess X posted:

So I have been voluntold into helping my roommate fix her Skyrim game. I don't know a whole lot about troubleshooting this junk, but here's some pics of the mess she's in.

http://imgur.com/a/OgdP5

Also I am very sad that she doesn't have SPERG installed.

The box letters look like special characters or a different language the game isn't recognizing, are the NPCs it's happening to ones from the vanilla game or from a mod? Or are any of the mods she installed non-English mods? Like, maybe she downloaded a spanish or russian or whatever language version of a mod?

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Saint Sputnik posted:

I've tried every way I can think of to get these texture replacers to "take" and they just won't -- loose files dropped in by hand, Mod Organizer-handled installation and management, nothing, all the NPC clothes still use the lovely 'nilla textures. The game also seems to want to keep reverting back to the vanilla texture for fur armor despite my Amidianborn overhaul and even dropping in the loose files for just that texture. It's only fur I've noticed, might be more, but it's like I notice that it's bad so I end the game and make sure it looks like it's gonna work and boot it back up and it's fine, but the next time I play it's back to the lousy original texture.

load order? it sounds like something is overriding the textures you want to use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Dawnguard isn't so bad the first time through really, like yeah the soul cairn kinda blows but it's at least different enough from the rest of the worldspace to make it interesting on that initial trip. The worst part is the lack of a real map or landmarks to help you get through the thing. Which wouldn't be so bad if it was more visually interesting, but yeah that's why it's so terrible on repeat playthroughs. The Forgotten Vale has the same problem after the first time through, that and the sheer amount of falmer and cave systems without feeling like it has any decent save points to stop and do something else.

Dragonborn is way better about that stuff since Soltsheim is a closed world separate from the rest of the game with it's own overworld you can easily chart and explore. Getting around it from place to place feels manageable and there's tons of spots that naturally feel like good places to pause your progress.

• Locked thread