Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Kilroy posted:

Gonna plug a few of my (IMO) better mods here for inclusion in the OP:

Breezehome Basement 3x2 <- A basement addition for Breezehome. Pretty basic e.g. doesn't include full-out blacksmithing workstation or smelter - being underground, no hot tub, underground greenhouse, sex dungeon, etc. Also no quest you just buy it from the steward like everything else. I made this because I couldn't find a single Breezehome addition that didn't suck. Includes enchanting station, two chests, two mannequins, two bookshelves, one weapon rack, a chair, a rug. That's it.
On the subject of player homes, for some reason I'm just one of those people that doesn't really care much about them. All I do is usually find a single chest and store everything in it that I don't sell for whatever reason. I'll also buy upgrades to the home if they add useful things like an enchanting table. But other than that, I don't bother with decoration or anything else really.

I'd be pretty satisfied with a Bag of Infinite Holding. Maybe I should search for a mod for that. Perhaps there is one that isn't a buggy piece of trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

My game seems to to be crashing repeatedly when heading northwest from Falkreath. Twice it happened when opening my favorites menu, the other few times it happened randomly just when walking towards the road. Does anyone know of any popular mods that might cause issues in the area?

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Mzbundifund posted:

Nothing's immediately coming to mind, could you post a screenshot or text list of the mods you're using?
Sure.

code:
Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Dawnguard.esm
Dragonborn.esm
Night Eye Overhaul.esm
XFLMain.esm
Ambience Music Overhaul - with vanilla music.esm
SPIKE.esm
Falskaar.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp
Unofficial High Resolution Patch.esp
Ambience Music Overhaul - Addon - with vanilla music -.esp
Ambience Music Overhaul - Combat - with vanilla music.esp
Ambience Music Overhaul - Interiors and Special - with vanilla music.esp
Unique Region Names.esp
Reduced Distance NPC Greetings.esp
StaticMeshImprovementMod.esp
StaticMeshImprovementMod-DragonbornTernFix.esp
StaticMeshImprovementMod-FurnitureChestSnowFix.esp
WATER.esp
WATER Plants.esp
WATER DB Waves.esp
WATER DG.esp
WATER Falskaar.esp
Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Dungeons.esp
Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Major City Interiors.esp
Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Major City Exteriors.esp
Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Minor Cities and Town Interiors.esp
Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Dawnguard Interiors.esp
hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp
Immersive Weapons.esp
Morrowloot_nwah.esp
GetNPCInfo.esp
NEO Persistent Spell.esp
lt_better_horses.esp
MarkRecall.esp
Owned.esp
Chesko_LoreBasedLoadingScreens.esp
No Sun.esp
Radiance.esp
ExpandedCarriageService.esp
dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Realistic.esp
DG-NoAttacks.esp
Cloaks.esp
Cloaks - Dawnguard.esp
Night Eye Overhaul.esp
Improved Dragon Shouts.esp
Improved Dragon Shouts - Dawnguard.esp
Improved Dragon Shouts - Dragonborn.esp
Dual Wield Parrying_SKSE.esp
DeadlyCombat.esp
DeadlyCombat_GiantsAIFix.esp
ArtifactOverhaul.esp
ACE Archery.esp
ACE Armor.esp
ACE BYOG.esp
ACE Enchanting.esp
ACE Magic.esp
ACE Melee.esp
ACE Realistic Fighting.esp
ACE Smithing.esp
ACE Speech.esp
ACE Synergy.esp
Character Creation Overhaul.esp
CCO - Dynamic Skill Progression.esp
CCO - Diverse Races And Genders.esp
Economics of Skyrim.esp
Acquisitive Soul Gems.esp
Auto Unequip Ammo.esp
Dragon Soul Relinquishment.esp
3DNPC.esp
XFLDialogue.esp
XFLPlugins.esp
crystalis.esp
buildablehouse.esp
quest_andtherealmsofdaedra.esp
quest_nomercy.esp
quest_pitfighter.esp
quest_pitfighter_dlc01.esp
quest_seaofghosts.esp
quest_sorcery.esp
quest_thebiggertheyare.esp
tos_amber_guard.esp
tos_granitehall.esp
tos_laintardale.esp
tos_oakwood.esp
EMHighviewCottage.esp
The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp
kisisa.esp
lonelykarliah.esp
BetterDarkBrotherhood.esp
Wyrmstooth.esp
MzarkWonders.esp
FalskaarDawnguard.esp
SkyFalls Plus SkyMills - All DLC and Falskaar.esp
Better Vampires.esp
Undeath.esp
EmpoweredMagic.esp
EmpoweredMagic_Dawnguard.esp
EmpoweredMagic_Dragonborn.esp
Inver - EM - ABO - Dragon Priest Mask Fix.esp
SkyUI.esp
iHUD.esp
ASIS-Dependency.esp
ASIS.esp
DeadlyCombat_ASIS_Patch.esp

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

SPERG seems really promising. I think I'll need to start a new game soon enough to check it out.

I love the idea of perks that allow a skill to be used in different ways with other skills.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

splifyphus posted:

SPERG is loving awesome, and you should get it immediately. I played a shitload of vanilla at launch and SPERG makes the game at least 2x as fun just by itself.
My current character is level 52. It's a bit late for me to dump in something like that. I will try it with my next character. And this time I'll actually use the illusion school for once.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

The hardest part of starting a new game for me is deciding what class to be. :ohdear: I'm using Character Creation Overhaul at the moment, and even if I wasn't I still like to pick a class to put me in the right mindset for things.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

splifyphus posted:

I'm looking through my list to see what mods I can recommend, and one that's not in the OP yet is the Excellent Racials Package. Basically triples all the powers/abilities that each race gets, making them all much more interesting and unique. None of them have felt terribly overpowered to me as of yet, but I'm only running two characters right now, an Orc and an Argonian.
I took a look at the description. Seems pretty interesting. How often do NPCs use their racial abilities?

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

scamtank posted:

If you've played a Skyrim character past level 10 or so, you will have experienced the things that SPERG changes for the better.

Boo dumbass "+10% damage with thing, rank 1/5" stuff that encourages maxing out single trees, yay unique effects and benefits that play in tandem with other skills.
Yes, discovering the fortification perk for Alchemy that actually makes leather and fur armor useful is magical experience for me. How useful is this for armor at higher levels of both alchemy and light armor skills?

This is also the first game that I've really tried using alchemy and it seems to level up rather slowly. :ohdear:

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

I have a question about SPERG as it relates to Character Creation Overhaul.

CCO lets you chose or make classes with major skills and a specialization like in Morrowind. All skills start by default at level 5 instead of level 15, and then the class data is added to that. This means that your chosen major skills will be at least level 25 if you have no racial or specialization bonus, or a maximum of 40 if its a major skill, a specialization skill, and the single skill your race has a +10 bonus in (the other five are +5). On top of this, if it gives a +5 or +20 bonus then it also increases the leveling rate by 5% or 20% respectively.

Now that I've clarified that, my question about SPERG is how will that impact the balance of the game if you're already starting with apprentice level perks for your six major skills at level 1? Does SPERG perhaps not expect that at the early level or something? For reference, as a Khajit Rogue I started the game with: Block 30, One Handed 35, Illusion 25, Alchemy 30, Light Armor 25, Speech 25.

Also, my question about the excellent racials mod still remains? How often to NPCs use racial abilities. Since their lives are measured in seconds :v:, I don't want them spamming them all at once at me.

Inverness fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 7, 2013

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

I'm new to whole ENB graphics enhancement thing. Everybody seems to have their own idea of what looks the best or more "realistic".

Does anyone have any recommendations on this. I'm currently using Realistic Lighting Overhaul which doesn't use ENB, but I am interested in seeing how something else might look.

Readme posted:

I don't want to use SKSE.
Cry me a river.
:smuggo:

I'm reminded of my Oblivion days and seeing people who didn't want to use OBSE for some reason. :rolleyes:

Inverness fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 8, 2013

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Sesquiculus posted:

Just started a new game using SPERG and I have a couple of questions: I seem to gain Conjuration experience constantly despite not knowing any conjuration spells, is that normal? Also, I can't seem to get Uncapper to work at all. I've tried adjusting the files in MO, tried unpacking and editing the ini manually and then loading it in MO, and I've tried just removing it from MO entirely and sticking it directly into my data folder. I always get the little popup screen that says Uncapper has loaded when I start up the game but as far as I can tell it isn't doing anything. Anyone know what could be causing this?
Make sure the uncapper INI file you want to use is in the same directory as the DLL. If you're using Mod Organizer this won't be the case. I moved the DLL and INI files to the overwrite directory to fix it for me.

Diet Lime posted:

I was able to work around my issues, but I still have that question about the uncapper. It's working, it displays a splash just before my game starts. I'm still just getting 10 pts/lvl and 1 perk per level, unless I'm apeshit and haven't played long enough for it to work.

Maybe my save is stuck and I need to restart anew to get the changes?

Edit: I think I might be chasing a ghost here and it's working as intended but I just didn't know what to expect. As a long-time fan of modding Oblivion and Morrowind (I argue TC's of Oblivion like OOO can compete with Skyrim feature for feature) I'm surprised it's all actually working, honestly.

One weird thing is that I have More Hotkeys hitting B to open the t-menu, but doing so causes the t-menu to open each time you close anything with B. I was able to workaround this by making my t-menu a press to hold. So far it's shaping up to be more like the game I wanted it to be originally, and SPERG looks great.

I just wish there was some convenient way to verify that the uncapper rates have been correctly modified / or some way to have that feature included in the base package.

If you're getting one perk per level then it's not working as intended and you should try what I suggested then fix your save with the console to remove any extra perks and correct your stats. You get some additional carry weight on level up so be sure to add that to your character too based on what stats you chose.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Tried updating Mod Organizer from 0.12.9 to 1.0.0 RC 1. Getting consistent crashes on startup. Even tried the 0.99 versions and 0.99.1 worked but 0.99.4 and up crashed for me.

I've downgraded back to 0.12.9 and I'm not going to mess with it at this point.

This is what happens when you start piling on features and load two different versions of the C++ runtime at the same time. :colbert: I'm pretty angry about this.

Edit: I decided to try one last thing before giving up and did a fresh install of 1.0.0 into a different directory, and even that failed to start up without crashing. What the hell did this guy do. :argh:

Inverness fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 15, 2013

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Sensenmann posted:

Tannin really is fast. MO got updated to 1.0.1 to fix the crash issues some people reported.
I'm still getting a crash on startup. :smith:

Inverness fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 17, 2013

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

So I'm looking at the readme for the Flora Respawn fix...

quote:

Q: Will this mod fix stuff I've already harvested?
A: YES, but you have to help it do that a bit. When you reenter an area and you see that everything has respawned, HARVEST IT ALL WITHOUT RELOADING A SAVE. Only when you're sure you've gotten everything will it be safe to save your game and exit. The script that fixes things won't kick off until you harvest the item, so if you save and reload before that, Skyrim.exe is going to forget it respawned.
How the hell am I supposed to remember all of the hundreds of things I harvested already? :psyboom: It implies it will break if I don't.

Am I just misunderstanding this or what?

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Grey Elephants posted:

So I finally got MO running, but whenever I try to download something from the Nexus, it gives me two errors in a row:

"failed to connect to running instance: QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Access denied"
and
"failed to write to C:/Program Files(x86)/ModOrganizer/logs/mo_interface.log: Access is denied"

Does anyone know what the problem could be? MO is giving me so much trouble but it looks so much better than NMM :(
You have it installed to Program Files, but it needs to be able to write to its own directory. You either need to run the program as administrator or give your user modify permissions for the ModOrganizer folder (I recommend this). That explains the second error message but not the first, but it could be related if its trying to save Nexus settings to disk but is unable to or something. The other possibility with that is that your firewall is preventing it from connecting to Nexus.

Also, still hoping someone could clarify about the Flora Respawn Fix mod and how it behaves for an existing game where you've stripped half of Skyrim of ingredients. :ohdear:

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Grey Elephants posted:

Ran it as an administrator and disabled my firewall, I'm still getting both errors.
I have no clue, then. What version are you running? 0.12.9 worked fine for me. Upgrading to 1.0.0 gave me constant crashes on startup.

Edit: As I was writing this post I actually tried to investigate one last time why I was crashing, and I found that deleting pyCfg.py in the plugins folder allowed me to startup just fine. I can only assume that it's conflicting with whatever installation of Python I already have. As a matter of fact I can't even see where it is selecting what version of Python to run. I need to email this guy.

Edit 2: Well I installed the latest 32-bit version of Python 2.7 and its working. I previously had an earlier version of Stackless Python 2.7 which is binary compatible and should not have caused issues. I'm not going to bother thinking on it.

Inverness fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 18, 2013

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Scyantific posted:

Yeah, the save files are done for. Best off starting a new game.
Are you sure? I don't believe DUEL is script heavy. I uninstalled it in favor of Deadly Combat for one of my saves and had no issue.

Though, as I recall, I did leave the script files in the directory even though the mod was disabled, maybe that had something to do with it.

chaosapiant posted:

For those that have removed script heavy mods and are worried about save game issues, always run this command in the console: "clearinvalidregistrations"

This was introduced in Skse a few version back and purges your save/game of any running scripts whose respective mods have been removed. It may help alleveiate future save game bloat and instability.
:allears:

May the script extender team continue to be a shining ray of light for the community for generations to come.

Inverness fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Sep 20, 2013

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Edit: Duplicate

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Kilroy posted:

Nope. I know how it works, that's why I don't use it.
I've used it for months as soon as I discovered it. I've only ever had two problems with it. The first being getting the uncapper to use the SPERG ini file, and secondly the 1.0.0 update with Python crashing on me.

It's made management of my mods and saves loads easier than it ever was before with NMM or back in my Oblivion days, so I'm surprised that anyone could not like it if they know how to use it.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Kilroy posted:

btw Inverness did you see my note about Flora Respawn Fix
Ah, I missed that originally, thanks for the help. My confusion stemmed from a misunderstanding on my part as to how the bug manifested.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Magmarashi posted:

I simply load the uncapper before SPERG so that SPERG is overwritting the proper files in the Uncapper. It's just that easy?
No, actually that didn't work for me (at least with 0.12.9). I had put the SPERG INI in the same folder as the Uncapper DLL for it to use it instead of the default Uncapper INI.

I've since upgraded to the latest version of Mod Organizer and haven't checked to see if that was fixed.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

WYA posted:

Yeah that plugin .ini is what I'm talking about. That's the right setting right? Because I keep getting full perks. The OP says to overwrite the one in the main folder, and I'm not sure if I'm doing it right
Put the INI in the same directory as the Uncapper DLL file.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Darth Brooks posted:

It's very close to vanilla Skyrim in tone and quality but the content is a bit sparse for the map size.

It has one of the longest unending dungeons ever. In the middle of it, the thought hit me that the scariest thing would be a friendly voice out of nowhere going "How's it going?" The mod could have used that kind of imagination. Instead t was "Here's more drauger, isn't this epic?" If you are going to do something on this scale, bring some variety. Instead the mod is just more and more and more of vanilla Skyrim.

There are a good number of bugs which is hilarious because the Mod creator announced loudly that there wouldn't be any bugs to find.

I did like some of the discussion sequences mainly because I hadn't see it done that way before. It was fun to kick around.
I read an interview done with the author of Falskaar. He said that the content is all focused around the quest because he knew he would never finish if he tried to add side content. This makes sense to mee considering how many people have "great ideas" which end up sputtering out into nothing (e.g. True Lichdom).

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Looks like I'm going to have to jump into this.

Kilroy posted:

But when you look at how the thing works and if you know how other tools work, it turns out MO breaks a lot of assumptions that those tools make to do what they do, and as a result using MO makes it a lot more difficult to use those other tools unless MO explicitly supports them.
What tools don't work with MO exactly? Your statement makes me believe you don't realize that tools like TES5Edit, SkyProc ASIS, BOSS, etc. all work fine if you simply launch them from Mod Organizer in which case they will detect the final file structure that MO is presenting to Skyrim.

I can understand if using MO just isn't to your liking, but if that opinion is based on false information then I'd like to try to correct that. I don't mean to come off as pushy.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Wait, this new feature actually lets mod authors prevent users from downloading their mod?

:psyboom:

Who the hell thinks this is a good idea? I can understand being able to moderate the comments even if some people might abuse that to avoid criticism, but this is something else.

Edit:

Cat Mattress posted:

As a rule, I never install games in Program Files. It's a good place for office software and such. For games, it's always going to be a hassle if you want to mod.
I simply edit the security permissions on folders as necessary for games where I need to mess with the files often. I've always thought its better for people to be aware of things like that as opposed to avoiding them by doing things like disabling UAC.

I'm not knocking what you do, it's just an organizational habit for me.

Inverness fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 24, 2013

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Anyone have some opinions on the Resplendent Racials package? Does it seem well balanced? I know I found one overpowered combination while using the Aurora Doomstone package with it. Being Argonian and having the Atronach sign gives you virtually infinite magicka due to the Histborn magicka regeneration combined with the low cost of spells from the Atronach sign.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Anyone know of a mod that lets you transfer enchantments from one item to another? The Epic Shout Package mod adds some rad greybeard robes that I want to use but not enough to forgo my current stock mage robes.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

graynull posted:

I've looked for a mod like that for a while, with no luck. It's one of the few things that I'm not sure if the engine even allows, since I've not seen it done. I think I even went so far as to enchant an item on a different character and try to copy the item ID to import into another game and it didn't seem to work.

Also, silent unarmed mod... never found one, don't know why it doesn't seem to exist.
SKSE should have made that possible. I believe I remember reading about one for Oblivion that let you put an item in one container and transfer the enchantment on it to the item in the other container.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

LtSmash posted:

Player made enchants are not currently possible, but are slated for the next SKSE release. If its a pre-enchanted item that's doable, but only for base items at the moment. You could give every greybeard robe the mage robe enchant but not restrict it to only the copy of the robe you currently have. I think the next SKSE will change that too but I'm less certain.

If you are happy with changing the base item's enchantment I could whip that up in like 15 minutes tomorrow. Alternately its easy to make a new mod with a duplicate armor with the new enchant using the ck/tesEdit.
It isn't a problem for player-made enchantments since you could just make the enchantment yourself again on the new item. Also, changing the base isn't cool either, so I'm not interested in that.

I'd prefer a way to only deal with the enchantment on particular instances of an item. Though I believe Oblivion solved this problem by creating a clone of the item base for your save and then messing with the enchantment on that so it wouldn't affect other things. Is this working with SKSE?

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

The Atronach stone using that Aurora Doomstone package seems really overpowered. I have yet to run out of magicka in a fight. In between fights I can just use the lesser power to refill my magicka at the expense of health and then just use the basic healing spell which leaves me with full health and 95-97% magicka.

When I used the ritual stone I found that the passive ability wasn't much use because the raised minions didn't stay around long enough to be useful in the next fight. I'm not one to rush through dungeons and miss loot so it isn't a good fit. At this point I think I'll stick with Resplendent Racials and just not use this.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

I still wonder why Bethesda made some custom in-house scripting language instead of going with something proven like Lua.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

The Audio Overhaul for Skyrim seems to be a consistent source of random crashes for me. This is really unfortunate since it sounded excellent. I had only just discovered the new Fireball spell sound too. :fap:

Does anyone know of a fix for this?

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

So I just got around to using Frostfall, finally. I've decided to go with the Hardcore present. :black101: Let's see if I can get to the other side of the College without freezing to death.

More seriously though, I noticed that the Frostfall alteration spells are enhanced by the Mage Armor perk. Is there a compatibility patch for SPERG for these? The spell magnitudes are not changed by SPERG's version of the perk.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Scyantific posted:

They're not meant to. A SPERG-modified Bear Armor spell would completely break the point of Frostfall.
I wasn't suggesting that they work just like the normal armor spells in SPERG, only they work as if you had the level 3 vanilla Mage Armor perk.

Edit: After some research and frustration, I discovered that I can set some global variables to 1 in the console to make Frostfall think I have the vanilla mage armor perks. Setting _DE_ArmorPerk1Active, _DE_ArmorPerk2Active, and _DE_ArmorPerk3Active to 1 in the console will make things work.

Inverness fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 1, 2013

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Raygereio posted:

They did some work on the Nexus' servers earlier this week which was supposed to improve performance and whatnot, but as is usual for the Nexus just ended up causing more problems and they've been doing maintenance since then. One amusing little problem was that the NMM ended up DDoS'ing the Nexus's webservers (no idea how they managed to do that by accident, especially since they had that bug happen once before).

If you get 404 or other errors, just wait an hour or so and try again. You'll get used to it: It's all part of the Nexus experience.
:stare:

I never thought I'd hear a about someone successfully managing to DDoS themselves.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Does anyone have any reviews of the Character Creation Overhaul mod?

I like how it makes skill leveling more like Morrowind or Oblivion where your major skills start at decent levels. But, when combined with SPERG, it seems unbalancing since at level 1 you're already anywhere from 25-40 when it comes to major skills. Combine this with apocalypse spell pack and scaled damage spells, and you're doing a good job of steamrolling people. I'm not sure if I just want to raise the difficulty level to Legendary, or remove CCO and recalculate my skills and such to what they would be at my current level normally.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

I don't like alternate form things at all. They just feel weird and the forced third person really puts me off.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

SPERG question. The level 75 magic school perks say new spell tomes may be found on appropriate merchants. How is this different from what happens normally at certain levels?

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

The Apocalypse spell pack recently got a major update that overhauled almost all of the spells.

Opinions on the new spells?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

It seems like the author has eliminated a load of spells he felt were available in other mods and then... did... things. For someone like me that doesn't use the other mods in question I would lose most of the spells I got Apoc for in the first place, and the rest of the changes make no sense to me.
:psyduck: I don't want a bunch of mods that add different spells, I want one mod that adds a set of spells that are balanced and work well together.

• Locked thread