Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Uhn posted:

Does enb work on laptops? I'm having trouble getting any of the effects to work from some of the popular presets, and it can't seem to detect anything but my integrated graphics. I have a gtx 660m as the dedicated graphics card.

Use the injector version of ENB instead of the wrapper if you have an Optimus setup for your laptop. I have an optimus setup and I need to use the injector version instead of the wrapper. It works, trust me. I use enboost settings for my laptop instead of the graphical goodness, but I could just throw in a graphical setting and it'd work. As long as it's the injector version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Trying to figure out mods to use for another play of the game.
I will be using most of the list of the recommended mods for a vanilla game, but I'm skipping faster mining and replacing it with CCO Remade because it includes a faster mining option inside of it. I'll be using the optional modules of it as well. I will also be using SPERG, Falskaar, Immersive Weapons & Armors, and Epic Gameplay Overhaul with only the Combat Drama, Dragon Combat, and Civil War Overhaul modules. Not sure what else I should throw in the mix for an enjoyable game.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 22, 2014

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I notice that after I run lootification that dual sheath redux will crash with a out of memory error. Should I be running dual sheath redux before or after Lootification?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

SplitSoul posted:

Disabling vSync.

Or enabling it, I don't remember which.
Turning off vsync is a very bad thing. The engine wasn't made to run at over 60fps. If you disable it in the ini files, enable it in ENB. You must have vsync on in one way or another.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

razorrozar posted:

Is "disable vSync" the new "alt+f4"?

No it just breaks the physics simulation. Which can be hilarious sometimes. But seriously, when it goes over 60fps things break. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hS2Ee0x7AQ

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Positronic Spleen posted:

I should also note that the game engine has problems even with "vsync" enabled if, for example, one uses a 120Hz monitor (or probably anything over 60). I assume because the game syncs up to the monitor with no upper limit for some boneheaded reason. I literally have to use a frame-limiter mod or else Very Bad Things happen and the game can become effectively unplayable.

Oh yeah, that. The game itself doesn't like over 60fps. Vsync works for me because my monitor can't go over 60Hz, and that's just fine for me. Hitting 61fps a couple of times doesn't matter, but 100fps would cause hilarity to happen.
I blame consoles for imposing this limitation.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

The physics in the game are stupid enough, and that when the game runs over 60 the physics is one of the first things you notice that just goes insane. The rest is behind the scenes and can break the game quicker. At least any sort of ENB even if you are using just the speed hack is essential for the game unless you're running pure vanilla, and you can just limit it in there instead of the janky way the ini file does it.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Absolute essential mods?
The Unofficial Patches. Even if you plan on running an unmodded game as much as you possibly can, grab the unofficial patches. SkyUI is pretty much required for most mods nowadays, too.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Knuc U Kinte posted:

SPERG question: Are Ethereal bolts/arrows supposed to benefit from the bound weapons perks? For example, should the bolts be soul trapping targets with them if I have mystic binding?

Yes, ethereal bolts/arrows count as bound weapons for the purposes of perks.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Mr E posted:

Recently I've been getting random CTDs while not in a cave or home, with no error message. Here's my load order:
Oh, that bug. It will help if you put the recommended things to increase the stack size in your skse ini file, as well as use an ENB. By the way, you only need one light level for lanterns of skyrim, and in fact the presets don't work properly with the newest version of climates.

You should also think about making a bashed patch. A merged patch isn't the same thing. A bashed patch should load BEFORE SkyProc patches by the way. Like make it, run LOOT, then make a bashed patch again and disable the mods that are listed under the bashed patch to make it, so they don't cause issues.

To increase the stack size, put this in your skse ini

code:
[Memory]
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768
ScrapHeapSizeMB=256
If you're NOT using an ENB, grab ENB, and change one line.
code:
[GLOBAL]
UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=false
should be set to true instead. Turn on the frame limited or vsync, and disable vsync in the skyrim ini files...

SKSE and ENB should help with the random crashing.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Mr E posted:

Oh wow, didn't even notice that I still even had lanterns of skyrim, I wanted to get rid of that completely. I'll grab an ENB to turn that on. I'm assuming I can just grab ENB and not actually use any of the graphical parts? I don't tend to like what ENB looks like. Should I just get rid of my merged patch or still use it for leveled lists?

The setting I posted for ENB actually only uses the speed hack. Doesn't touch the graphics whatsoever. Moreso, do this in the code. It should look like it when finished under the [MEMORY] setting.
code:
VideoMemorySizeMb=
AutodetectVideoMemorySize=true
There's nothing after the first = sign. It's blank, not even a space.

You use both a merged patch and a bashed patch. The bashed patch only contains levelled lists. Merged patches include other stuff. Never ever include SkyProc patches in bashed/merged patches.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

SkyRe is an ambitious mod, but it doesn't do much for the perk system. Yes, it adds a ton of perks that makes a very specific linear path better. Don't deviate from that path unless you want to make yourself weak! Not to mention you basically need to use the ReProccer to get SkyRe to play nice with weapon/armor mods. Or you need to get a mod to get a mod to work properly. There's no real feel of progression, since there's so many perks to get and so little perk points you can use without making yourself weak in another area. It feels more like a struggle than an enjoyable experience playing a character. It does claim it's a perk overhaul, but adding a ton of new perks doesn't fix the issue perks have in the first place. You must get specific perks in order to make an effective character, and don't deviate from that path at all.

SPERG on the other hand does fix the main issue with perks. The 'essential' perks in a tree are the perk you get automatically just by levelling up that specific skill tree. For example, you get the different types of smithing automatically as you level up smithing. You don't need to decide to focus on crafting Light Armour or Heavy Armour. You get them both. The perks that you do need to pay a point for let you specialize on a specific type, but you won't be left behind because you decided you'll get Light Armour for your character, but the Daedric Swords have better damage and you can't temper them. Or the Speech tree, which is the most useless tree in Vanilla Skyrim. You get the perks that let you be better with merchants for free. The other perks don't do anything with merchants in the redone tree. They just make you a lot better at different things. Long Winded - Sprinting consumes very little stamina, and power attacks cost 10% less stamina. Good sounding perk, right? It's in the speech tree.

SPERG just makes the game more fun. Each perk that you spend makes you stronger in some way. There are no absolutely useless perks that you need to spend points on with SPERG. Changes the game from a grind to just playing it. Armor skills for example level up if you run around wearing that armor. If you are a mage and only wear clothing, well, Mage Armor - Magic armor spells never need to be re-cast. When not wearing armor, they are four times as strong and level Alteration as if it were an armor skill. Dual Casting is in the Destruction Tree, and has a very reasonable skill requirement. Also it gives double casting to all magic trees.

Seriously, take a look at SPERG. http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/24445/
I've tried SkyRE and SPERG, and of course vanilla. SPERG just makes the game fun and enjoyable, and each perk changes the way you play the game. They're precious, and way more powerful than they are in vanilla/SkyRE. Getting one every other level using the uncapper keeps it balanced.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Mr. Crow posted:

I wish there was one good solid overhaul, like FWE, FCOM (this is several technically but details) etc.
It'd be harder than it was with Oblivion. Oblivion overhauls basically removed the worst offenders of the scaling. FCOM just made all the overhaul mods compatible with each other.

I mean the biggest overhaul that you usually hear about is SkyRe. It's for the more average player, and changes many things. The difficulty is increased due to all the changes it makes to the game, but it's not unfair difficulty. You might be lucky and wander into a cave full of enemies that are quite a few levels below you, or you might be fighting enemies way above your level that you'll need to return to later with better stats, equipment, and a follower. Many mods will need a compatibility patch or a ReProccer patch to work properly.

Requiem removes the scaling completely as I understand. It's a more hardcore overhaul for Skyrim. I haven't played it so can't comment really on it.

SPERG just overhauls the perks system completely. The rest of the game remains relatively untouched. I just love the automatic perks and the fact that there are far less completely useless perks. Magicka regen in battle and stamina regen in battle are useless for a Redguard if you're using the Resplendent - Races of Skyrim mod by the way. It plays much more nicely with mods that new spells or equipment. Yes, there's compatibility patches for some mods. I guess I prefer SPERG because it's the first overhaul mod I tried and just works the best without much hassle.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Well, you asked for more spawns. The game just couldn't decide WHERE to spawn them.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

So I've started getting this weird thing where my mouse will pop up when I boot the game and it refuses to go away. When I googled it people were talking about it happening when alt+tabbing to a separate window but I'm not even doing that. At first I thought it might be a mod issue but I booted up Skyrim from steam instead of the mod organizer and it's still doing it. Any ideas?

Edit: Just went into Mod Organizer and disabled everything but the expansions and it's still doing it so it's definitely not a mod.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/36125/ should help.

And on a mod related front...
My SkyProc patching takes over an hour to complete. I feel like I accomplished something. It hasn't crashed, mind you. If I wasn't using SUM it'd just crash outright when trying to make my patches.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Comstar posted:

I've got back into Skyrim after finally finishing Baldur's Gate 1&2, and I have about a 100 mods. Some of them make the dungeons a lot darker, which is....nice, but annoying when I can't see a thing when I'm trying to sneak without a 150 watt light globe above my head. Is there a spell/mod somewhere that I can cast to get the Night Eye ability? None of the court mages I've come across seem to have one.

Grab this mod.
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/22274/

Yes, it's not a night eye spell because those don't exist, but you'll be able to see at least if you grab this and just 'cheat' to give yourself night eye. Also it doesn't have the annoying rear end night eye shader on it so it works a lot better since it doesn't blur everything and make it nearly impossible to see anyways

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

LtSmash posted:

drat are you at like 254 giant mods when you run it or something?

I was at a high number of mods, yeah. Dual Sheath Redux took the longest. I'm going to trim down the amount of mods I'm using. Constant crashes isn't fun.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Drakes posted:

Are there any mods rework skills to have spillover experience?

Like using one handers may improve your two hander ability at 10% of the rate, or casting magic in general levels other magic at a slower rate.

There aren't any mods that I know of that will level up abilities that you don't use. As previously said, SPERG perks can impact more than just the one skill it's tied to.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

CoT will only be dark if you choose one of the night modules. I do recommend throwing in the Climates of Tamriel Weather Patch in the game too. Do NOT use the CoT night levels with the weather patch. Level 2 (from the weather patch) works fine since it makes nights dark. The modules are completely optional.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

The page says this is meant for ENB. Is this still useful if I'm not using ENB?

The regular version works fine without ENB. The Fog version is the one made to be used alongside an ENB setting. The main difference is that the fog one has Volumetric Fog, while the regular one won't have that fog. It'll still have a fog weather setting.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

It's safe to remove dirty entries in your mods, as long as that LOOT doesn't say that this mod needs dirty edits in order to function. You did remember to make back ups in TES5Edit if they later change the LOOT display and say to not clean the mod, right?

It's perfectly safe to clean up update.esm, dawnguard.esm, hearthfire.esm, and dragonborn.esm. If you use MO, you can even just have MO load the cleaned ESM files over the original ones.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Xavier434 posted:

Which tends to be more useful? BOSS or LOOT? Or does even matter much?
Okay, LOOT is the spiritual successor to BOSS. BOSS will just put unknown mods at the bottom of the list entirely, below your bashed patches and SkyProc patches. LOOT seems to put a mod where it should be, looking at the masters that the mod requires and putting it below all of those mods and then letting it go through. For example, I doubt the name 'T5E Merge.esp' is in the masterlist. I do have to manually move it right before my bashed patch, but it still works fine.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Xavier434 posted:

I am getting an error in MO when installing SPERG. See the log file entry below

Three things to note:

1. I have SKSE installed and I do believe that it is installed correctly. I used the SKSE installer to do this.
2. I tried downloading SPERG manually as well. The only contents of SPERG\SKSE are the following:

..\SPERG\SKSE\Plugins\SKSE_Elys_Uncapper.ini

3. I have Skyrim - Community - Uncapper installed.

Anyone have an idea why I am getting this error?

One thing to realize about installing SPERG using MO you need to manually move the SKSE folders and the SPERG-DG.esp and the SPERG-DB.esp files into the main directory for SPERG. The installer won't put them there using MO. If they're in the SPERG folder they won't do anything. You may also want to move the Interface folder from the SPERG directory too. It's just a weird quirk in the way MO handles some archives.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Not at all, you need an account but you certainly shouldn't pay for it, just register.

Their mod manager is somewhat handy too, it will autoinstall quite a lot of mods for you which is nice.

Mod Organizer can do this too, and it isn't slow, and doesn't touch your Data folder at all. So you don't need to worry about installing mods in an improper order, since you can just reorganize the priority in mod organizer.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I mostly use the manager because it has that handy button to download from the nexus but yeah it's not a great bit of software, updates constantly, mostly just breaking itself in the process.

When it wants to work it works OK but I would imagine it might struggle with very complex installations.
Mod Organizer can associate nexus links for you. It's a little harder to get used to, but it's way better.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Xavier434 posted:

Are you talking about Enboost? Does the latest SKSE already take care of that?

SKSE doesn't take care of ENBoost settings. They are different types of memory. You can use ENB without having the graphics to get the stability that it provides. And of course SKSE will also take care of the block filling up then crashing for no reason.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Positronic Spleen posted:

Great, so it only took me all the time this weekend I could have spent actually playing the game to debug this poo poo, but I figured out why the scripting was ultra-sluggish. Turns out it was the FPS limiter (d3d9.dll and antilag.cfg) I was using. That is to say, the same one I deemed necessary several pages back because otherwise the physics engine goes insane because the engine doesn't anticipate a 120 Hz display (or probably anything higher than 60 Hz). I'm going to see if I can't just force 60 Hz through the downsampling application.
Get ENB, seriously. It has a built in frame limiter, and also it'll manage VRAM better. You can turn on both Vsync AND the frame limiter so that vsync will be on and the game will run at a max of 60fps so the game doesn't have physics objects flying around wildly. You don't even need the graphical upgrades. You can use the speedhack without the shinies, and vsync and the frame limiter will work with that one option turned on.

You can even make it borderless full screen if you wanted it using ENB without issue.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Xavier434 posted:

Words about ENB settings
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/50214/ is a better guide to set up ENB properly. Or to get your game working better in the first place. The STEP guide is for the VERY basic settings, just getting it to run and not optimized. You can use the STEP guide to set up your Skyrim ini files, as long as they don't override the settings in the guide. But ignore the enb settings it recommends. And ignore using your graphics card to enable filtering. It doesn't do it right.

The ENB settings file even works with:
UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=true

Since you'd be using the injector version of ENB, add one thing to enbinjector.ini
skse_loader.exe needs to be in the list of approved processes. Or ENB won't work. Not even for the Enboost settings. Make sure to launch enbinjector first.

You can make a batch file to use for ModOrganizer instead to launch the game using ENB without needing to start up the injector manually each time. I will not tell you how to make a batch file. It's an extra step.
code:
SETLOCAL
tasklist | find "ENBInjector.exe"
If %ERRORLEVEL% NEQ 0 (goto :ENB) Else (goto :SKSE)

:ENB
call "cmd /c start enbinjector.exe"

:SKSE
skse_loader.exe
ENDLOCAL
The short thing is generally only Optimus setups for video cards need to use the injector. And optimus setups are generally Intel APU with a nVidia GPU also inside the laptop.

EDIT:
Save game scalpel does more than the save game script cleaner did.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Mage Ham posted:

That guide looks like it's a lot more detailed and recent than my received wisdom.
I hadn't checked it out because I'm only interested in using ENB for memory/stability- does it work for that?

And assuming it does, do I still need to put all the ENB files in the Skyrim folder (as per usual when using ENB)? Or do I leave some/most of them out, as STEP recommends?

You need to do the usual when using ENB even for just the memory/stability fixes. I only use ENB for the memory/stability fixes anyways, but I do use the tweaks for enblocal.ini to turn on filtering and of course vsync as put in that guide.

I was getting crazy stuttering using the STEP settings and once I turned on the x64 option in ENB that stuttering vanished. The odd thing was it was only outside and when combat started. Inside it ran smooth all the time.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Gyshall posted:

ENB shadows are amazing and second to none, for what that is worth.

And if you can't use ENB except for ENBoost, the shadows for ENB are completely useless.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Farecoal posted:

Is SPERG compatible with Staves of Skyrim?

The mod itself is compatable if you use the no-perk edition of the mod, otherwise it'll conflict unless you use the override esp in SPERG which chances the block tree to vanilla.

I don't know if using the spells in the staffs will unlock the additional spell to use after time, but the mod itself works as long as you're not overriding the block tree.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I used to use Lootification. It's a good mod, but there's a few issues I have with it. The way it changes outfits is not something I enjoy. I know that if I used match outfits, I just ran into bandits wearing the Barbarian armor set from Immersive Armors, and perhaps the boss bandits wore the Bosmer armor set. It's a good mod, I'll give you that. But seeing as how it basically gave the outfits to people even if I had outfits turned off, I didn't like it.

I switched to a combination of mods for loot instead. Dynamic Loot and Dynamic Loot Addons, Grimys Enchanted Loot Overhaul and Loot and Degradation.
Loot and Degradation basically does what Lootification does except on the fly, and it also adds tempered equipment to the lists of enemies. Making weapons/armor degrade when using the mod is great, too. With enchanted items, you need soul gems to refill the items, but the vanilla game once you sharpen a weapon, it stays sharp forever. isoku is a good modder with the Wet & Cold series probably their most popular set of mods, and Loot and Degradation doesn't get enough notice.

One note about GELO. You need to move the SkyProc patcher from inside the Docs folder of it to the root of the mod folder. As well you need to edit the GELO_IMPORTER_CASE_SENSITIVE.txt file and put in the mods you want it to add enchantments to. Case sensitive.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 29, 2014

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Back Hack posted:

Are there any magic scaling mods that work well with SPERG? I'm having the worst luck finding one that doesn't also try to balance the perk system.

SPERG scales the magic system beautifully. There are basically no useless perks with SPERG. The usual 'essential' perks are in the autoperk section of the tree. Casting ALL spells in a tree for half magicka with the apprentice perk which is the auto perk is pretty nice. For Alteration and Conjuration, the initial perk increases Duration of the spells, and for the other casting trees, it increases the magnitude of the spells depending on your skill in that tree. You can change Illusion spells from Magnitude to Duration instead if you want by modifying the settings inside the MCM for SPERG.

If you REALLY want to use an alternate scaling system for SPERG, use the esp files in the override folder of SPERG's settings. The default scaling works perfectly in SPERG.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Back Hack posted:

I didn't know SPERG also does scaling, largely because my magic doesn't appear to scale at all. Looks like I done gently caress up somewhere. :v:
It happens so gradually that you won't really notice it unless you're actively looking at the numbers between every few skill levels. If you at least get the autoperk when you create your character, then the mod is working properly.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Geoff Zahn posted:

I think I'm just going to pass on using Morrowloot, It sounds like it's more of a game of Where's Waldo than just finding a piece of ebony/glass at the end of a dungeon once in awhile. I like the idea of only finding dwemer stuff in dwemer ruins, and only orcs have orc stuff, etc., but I don't want to have to scour every random nook and cranny just to find a dagger or shield.

I just want high tier poo poo (dwemer and up) to be much more rare than hide/leather/iron/steel/imperial in both chests and shops, as well as mostly removed from random mercenaries on the road. Would this be hard to mod myself with the creation kit? Any guides on how to tinker with loot / shop lists?

edit: Or would the Scarcity mod I passed on earlier be exactly this?

Scarcity just makes it so that less loot will show up in general. Boss chests might contain the nice goodies, but most of the time enemies will not be carrying more than what you see on them. You might still find amazing things on enemies, and in chests. But it's just more rare with Scarcity.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Klowns posted:

Anybody using Hoth as a follower? I've got the seeming common problem of not being able to recruit him, I've read through half a dozen pages of comments on Nexus and see a lot of people with the same issue but no answers as to how to correct it, figured a smart Goon might know. I tried removing the mod, cleaning the save, waiting to reset the cell and adding it back into my load without any luck and I can't find any conflicts with the mod.

Hoth won't join if you already have a follower with you. A modder made a fix, however.
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/41524/

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I have a really weird problem. When I get into combat outside with an animal, my game lags like crazy. When the enemies are dead, the game resumes it's regular speed. I don't have this problem in caves at all. I don't even have any mods that change animals beyond unofficial patches (and PERMA). It's really weird because sometimes in combat with humanoid opponents outside will run like butter, but other times that will lag too. But it's only outside, and never inside cells.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

EnaiSiaion did their own perk mod? I'll need to try that mod out. Of course I'll use all of the other mods that they make with it. Should be balanced. I mean the mod page looks very daunting, but it should be great as it isn't an overhaul of the entire game.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Oh poo poo, someone did something crazy.

SPERG and Ordinator combined.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/70159/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Rollofthedice posted:

Now we just need a Complete Alchemy and Cooking Overhaul Compatibility Patch for the SPERG-Ordinator-Combined patch!

Using http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/70272/ as a baseline too. Yeah.

Make the most overpowered character ever.

• Locked thread