Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

mods I love, to add to the OP:

Frostfall (cold weather immersion) http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/11163/ -- not updated since May, is there a competitor?

Organized Bandits of Skyrim http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/31264/ -- adds a ton of bandit varieties, the author really went all out. I almost wonder if he's going too far (if that's possible with bandits!)

Seaside Library http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/32558/ perfect for bibliophiles who get tired of stealing every book they spot

Interesting NPCs http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/8429/ -- adds a lot of life to the world with well-scripted and acted additional NPCs/followers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I'm considering a playthrough in "roguelike" or "hardcore" mode, where I only use one save, never reload it because of something bad happening, and it's 'game over' if I die. I think it would be rather interesting in Skyrim.

Could anyone recommend mods tailored towards, or appropriate for, that kind of gameplay experience?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I am starting a new game. In doing so, I'm comparing the list of mods I've used in the past to the list of mods in the OP. In this post, I'm going to link lots of mods I've used which are NOT in the OP... and hope people offer opinions on them! Maybe some can be added to the OP (ping: Scyantific)? Or people can give reasons they should not be used (such as mods which have surpassed or replaced them)?

Graphics / Textures

Better Females by Bella - lots of endorsements, promo screenshots looked good. Supplanted by anything? Not updated in nearly 2 years.
Enhanced Distant Terrain - screenshots look nice; I've never played without to know the difference (maybe not needed?). has a sequel, EDT 2... at nexus mod 39394
Enhanced Lights and FX - screenshots look nice; I've never played without to know the difference. a bazillion endorsements. might have screwed up my inns in combo with perseids (I blame perseids).
Footprints - uh, yes, awesome. Is there a better footprints mod? Not updated in 6 months.
Get Snowy - yes please, I want to see effects of snow. Good stuff. Is there a better snow realism mod? Not updated in 6 months.
HQ Snow Texture - I saw this recommended somewhere as the best snow texture ever made for Skyrim, so I've been using it.
No More Blocky Faces - I feel this has a zillion endorsements because it's such an early skyrim mod and am leaning towards trying a game without it. But is it still best in class? Not updated in years.
Serious HD Retexture Skyrim - seems like a competitor to the other 2K retexture mod; I'm not sure which is better. Maybe the Bethsoft HD textures + unofficial fixes are really all someone needs?
ApachiiSkyHair - just a highly endorsed hair mod, maybe not needed, or maybe better alternatives?

Gameplay + Gear

Ars Metallica - I know some people dislike Arthmoor, but this is a set of small, sensible crafting changes. Not updated in last 6 months.
Auto Unequip Ammo - It seems like the game should just function like this? I haven't tried without it, not sure if I need it. Not updated in last 6 months.
Dragon Combat Overhaul - makes dragon fights much, much harder. author might be crazy.
High Level Enemies - no idea how many of these I actually fought, but I generally like monster mods which don't break immersion.
Increased Bounty and Guild Rewards - the author's writeup sold me on it, but I have no idea if this mod causes any problems/conflicts ingame -- and honestly I've cheated at console before to get gold, anyway.
Locational Damage - headshots and all that jazz. Not updated in 6 months. Better combat option? Maybe I don't need this.
Lock Overhaul - was using Lockpicking Overhaul before, but gonna give this one a try. Vanilla skyrim locks get real boring.
Perseids Inns and Taverns - Realistic Room Rental Enhanced - I really like the concept of this mod, but somehow many of my inns and taverns got screwed up clipping planes and rooms last game, and I'm gonna blame this mod for it. Anyone love this mod? Seems like such a good idea.
Skaal heavy Armor - this just looked like a cool set of armor.
The Seaside Library - Library mod, great for bibliophines. I love this mod and the very idea of it. Must-have.
Wet and Cold - kinda like Frostfall's little buddy, just a nice immersion mod. hmm, maybe its snow effect means I don't really need Get Snowy.
Achieve That! - fun mod with its own achievements, but which also gives bonuses ingame for them.

Ease/Convenience

Better Dialogue Controls - makes dialog on the PC better. Not updated in over 6 months. Any alternative?
Ultimate Follower Overhaul - I know it's dated, but I was surprised not to see it in the OP. I think all follower mods are bad but this may be the least bad. Someone needs to release a new one or big update.
Unread Books Glow - another must-have for bibliophiles, unless someone knows of a mod which does it better?

Other

Lootification - I don't even know if I should be using this anymore, seen it discussed here often but it's not in the OP.
Rainbows - I mean cmon, Rainbows.
Shooting Stars - yup, shooting stars.
ShowRaceMenu Precache Killer - I think I needed this to stop a crash involving hair textures at character creation.
Skytweak - don't lots of people here use this?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Can we talk combat mods? I had previously been using Locational Damage. Starting a new game, I noticed that at GEMS there are some combat mods higher on their list, such as Deadly Combat or Duel (which itself comes in two different combat style versions). I'm also using SPERG, so any changes it makes to perks/combat (I'm not even sure what it does on that front??) will be present, and Deadly Dragons / Dragon Combat Overhaul so those fights are pretty hard already.

What would you guys use when using those SPERG/dragon mods? I really want some form of locational damage -- that's part of Deadly Combat. I want combat to feel risky and deadly when someone hits me with a big sword. But conversely, it would feel weird to be able to kill any human in the game as a level 1 dude just because I have a cheap bow, some cheap arrows, and really good headshot aim.

I guess I don't know what I want. The OP doesn't list any combat mods. What's popular?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

SheepNameKiller posted:

Only use a bashed or merged patch if you absolutely know what you are merging, they tend to merge a lot of things that shouldn't be merged otherwise and completely remove load order as a way of managing mods.

I thought that bashed patches were pretty much as easy and safe as BOSS these days? I load up my 50 mods, run BOSS via MO, then run Wrye via MO to make a bashed patch with whatever default settings Wrye uses. Its 'rebuild patch' option has been pretty hassle free.

I will admit I have no idea when I should be using a 'Merged' patch from TES5Edit. There's a post several pages ago in this thread from someone who said they never use Bashed patches anymore -- only merged patches. Some guidance on when to use Merged vs Bashed vs Both would be great (I've only been using Bashed).

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

SheepNameKiller posted:

You should only use bashed and merged patches when mod authors tell you they are needed to resolve incompatibilities between two mods, usually ones that affect leveled lists. There's no reason to do them otherwise and they're actually a bad practice in general because nearly 100% of non-leveled-list conflicts can be resolved by load order.

This has been a good discussion. I'm using MO 1.0.7 to deal with mod order for things like meshes or other loose files which are overwritten, and I have BOSS/Wrye setup in MO to deal with everything else. I use BOSS for load order, and in the process it suggests various Wrye tags... I then run Wrye bash via MO, and I presume it's making use of those BOSS suggestions somehow. With Wrye 304_2 default bash patching, it doesn't do anything like try to merge ESPs. It does these things for my basically 100-mod long list:

merges some tweaked settings

handles leveled lists

The output afterwards is in a (poorly formatted) pastebin, here: http://pastebin.com/iMxAz7FG

I gotta get those leveled lists handled, and this looks ok? I just grabbed all the mods I wanted, ran utilities and pressed default buttons.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Dudes, problems. :smith: I'm having missing textures on gear carried by the Companions at the initial giant fight in a new game:

Not sure what's causing it - has anyone ever see problems like this before? I have not seen this in old games. For what it's worth, Aela is carrying a hunting bow and Ria is carrying an iron shield. If I pickpocket them, the textures come up ok in the pickpocket/inventory menus. I've also seen iron shields and hunting bows elsewhere that looked fine (maybe they were a different variant, or it's something related to these NPCs holding them?).

A shot of my MO initial mod priorities (where most of the graphics replacers are) and ESP load order is here:

And my complete active mod list (alphabetical export by MO -- loaded by BOSS ingame) is here: http://pastebin.com/KFWheUNg

Any ideas? I also had a crash on the very first time I ran up to that scripted encounter, but reloading it worked fine. Getting so close to having a fresh Skyrim setup ready to play!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

...aaaaand that was exactly the fix I needed. Thanks guys, spot-on. I dl'd the zip, moved it to my MO downloads folder, had MO query info on the zip, and then it installed/merged straight into the main mod.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Has anyone seen the message: "Your follower cannot accompany you here" -- at the start of a new game? I'm seeing that appear in the top left corner briefly when starting a brand new char. Same mods as my post above, so using all DLC+alternate start (campsite option), and many other mods including SPERG. But none that I'm aware of which give you a follower at the very start of the game (?). How can I debug this or find my supposed follower? The papyrus and skse logs had no reference to that message text.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

papyrus logs are just ridiculous. I'm stability testing my new setup/game (mod list and load order on previous page of thread), so I let skyrim run all day while I was at work. Then I ran around checking bandits and whacking on things in god mode. I ended up with a 300k papyrus log: http://pastebin.com/KLGyedM3

I think most of it is from a mod trying to kill me due to starvation/exposure or damage from direct hits (thanks god mode). But there are a ton of other errors and warnings which I'll never know if they matter or not.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Dang my skyrim is hanging in a reproducible way on entering grey-mane house. Might be a corrupted file or bum SSD, might be a mod. No log notes of interest, this may be hard to debug.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Raygereio posted:

I'm seeing a lot of missing file and property errors. Did you uninstal script-heavy mods from your game and then continue playing with the same save?

There are also errors indication a stack buffer overflow (Dumping stack).
If you have messed with the papyrus settings in your ini file, restore those values to their defaults. You can find the correct values here.
There's a lot of flatout wrong information floating around about the various ini settins. Most importantly in this case is iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes. Some idiot thought that setting controlled how much RAM Skyrim utilized. If you push that setting to high though, it will cause this sort of error.

Lastly I'm seeing a whole bunch of errors which originate from whatever mod has position 14 in your loadorder. I'm guessing it's frostfall? If those errors persist on a new game, go contact Frostfall's creator for advice on those.

Hey, thanks for the post. The game was a new game with no mods changed during it. Trying to be very careful about that as I craft a new skyrim install. I'm using the mods/LO from this post: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3567959&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=27#post420838676

I did make some papyrus .ini tweaks as recommended at STEP (I think), but I can revert those. I'll double check on mod #14 -- not at home so I can't test. Between the hang on the loading screen when entering the house grey-mane and the papyrus errors, it looks like I have some real digging to do. I'll work on that this weekend. It may be a matter of one-by-one enabling all ~100 mods and seeing when problems crop up.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I figured out my crash on entering House Grey-Mane, from back at this post: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3567959&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=28#post420874922

It occurs if Dreogan's Skyforge Weapons 1.0c has its skyforgedWeapons.esp loaded after the aMidianBorn Book of Silence - WEAPONS' 1.9 aMidianborn_Skyforge_Weapons.esp. If the order is reversed, the crash goes away.

Not sure why it actually crashes, or if it's safe to just load Dreogan's Skyforge stuff first and let aMidianBorn overwrite. The load order which results in a crash was set by BOSS. No idea what will be broken. Obviously they both deal with skyforge weapons, but a crash was unexpected. I am currently using the non-replacer version of Dreogan's, and having that ESP load after the aMidianBorn ESP also lets me enter the house. So, two workarounds.

edit: Eorlund was in the house, so he may be related to triggering the issue

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

The Unofficial patches all just went to v2.0 'officially' on Nexus. The new 'fake ESM' format. Anyone taking the plunge? Think they will be fully compatible with other popular mods like SPERG, or our precious savegames? :ohdear:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Raygereio posted:

If you've been using the last "official" release of the unofficial patches you can just update all the patches, set your loadorder correctly and continue playing.
If you've been using the betas, it's a smarter idea to either start a new game, or revert back to a save from before you've installed the betas.

Yeah, I know that's the official story but I just worry about stuff being screwed up. Note: you need to update all 4 (base/dawn/dborn/hearth) patches simultaneously to v2.0.0. You can't pick and choose.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I think I raved about seaside library in like three older posts in thread. It's very neat and should be in the OP.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Scyantific posted:

The entire OP is basically a "best-of" for Skyrim mods. Or at least we'd like to think it is. I haven't updated it in a while, so you'll probably have to dig through some of the more recent posts...

Aww if you updated it we'd all love you since fall is coming soon and we'll be replaying skyrim when the snow starts to fall.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Scyantific, any chance of an update of the OP with current best recommendations / version links, etc? The OP was last updated in Feb, which is page 100 of this thread (108 pages ago). There is just too much material to catch up on if not following thread every day. :( I miss Skyrim.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Duck and burger posted:

My battlemage is moody that even my 970 can't run 60 fps with all my mods at 1080p. Good thing my bigger screen is only 720p.

...what is your modlist? I thought a 970 would crush 1080p.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Scyantific posted:

Yeah I honestly haven't kept up with Skyrim modding since I burned out on the game in March. I'll try to make an effort to get the OP up to date throughout this week.

It would be really awesome if you did this, thanks :unsmith:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Anyone here going with a pure Steamworks mod set install? How do you like it? I've always used either NMM or MO with nexus mods, but am wondering if Steamworks is decent these days. It seems like a lot of mods are just plain not available or out of date on Steamworks.

Ugh, deciding between doing all the work to set up a fresh modded skyrim or just playing DA: Inq when it cmoes out in a couple weeks. My last skyrim playthrough was about a year ago. I remember the desync between character faces/mouths and their speech was a really annoying bug. Is that fixed yet by a mod or patch?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Has anyone here followed the STEP 2.2.9 guide explicitly? How did it work out? They have a lot of "core" mods that I think I could do without.

http://wiki.step-project.com/STEP:2.2.9

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Beer Jerky posted:

I am trying Step 2.2.9 right now, with the intention of 100% process integrity. It's getting to the point where I have more fun modding Skyrim than actually playing it.

if you have any special tips / gotchas to watch out for, I'd like to know. About to go down the same road.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

getting a weird glitch, just like this guy's: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/615805-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/69533098

that 'level up' message shows up and doesn't go away, after I start a new game (just getting out of wagon). no mods, just enboost. launched from steam instead of MO/SKSE to avoid mods. Any experience with that bug here? GTX 980, 1440p, max prettiness settings.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I know it's HUD related because when I changed opacity of HUD it would affect that text. Off to work, will continue following up on this later tonight... I'm a fresh install of skyrim (literally reformatted win8 this weekend) so it seems like this problem can't be too uncommon?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

NiftyBottle posted:

I had this problem. Only solution I found removed the level up message entirely - even when you open up the menu to level up, the option will be blank. But it's the only thing I've found that works. It goes: open up Skyrim\Data\Interface\Translate_ENGLISH.txt . Search for "$LEVEL UP". There should be two "LEVEL UP"s on that line. Replace the second one with a space and save. You still get the noise, and you can tell when you can level up when you open the menu because the top option will be blank rather than saying skills. Annoying, but less annoying than a permanent message on my screen, at least for me. Never found anyone who could figure out what was causing it, and it doesn't seem mod-related. One of Bethesda's bugs, I guess. Definitely let us know if you find a better solution.

After a lot of trial and error I determined it was caused by a setting in skyrimprefs.ini, which was being managed by MO. I blew away MO's version and replaced it with a steam / geforce experience version and have been ok ever since. I suspect MO's configurator is buggy. Or, some mod made a weird entry to the .ini on install. If it happens again, I'll try and determine was the offending entry was, but ugh, ini files.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Beer Jerky posted:

So I got through STEP:2.2.9 and have a couple notes. I wasn't aware that it was almost entirely a compilation of ascetic mods. There are very few gameplay-changing mods in the list. I also ended up skipping quite a few of the core mods. I am not an experienced modder (this was my first real experience with MO, been using NMM up till now) but the directions were clear and concise. Everything works perfectly, as described. The game looks a lot better, and a couple mods are working now that used to crash my desktop.

1.7 THUMBS UP, A-

Nice, I'm hoping to finish that today. I'm about 3/4 the way through installing STEP: Core. Need to decide what gameplay stuff to put on top of it... maybe take the dive and do PerMa?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Also, a warning to those jumping into PerMa: get ready for a long patch and make sure to run it through SUM or via another method to increase its access to your RAM. Once I ran it through SUM it worked perfectly: no conflicts, no null point bullshit, no nothing. Pretty surprising since I chucked everything I had at it.

Can you explain this procedure you're talking about? Never heard of SUM

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I followed STEP 2.2.9, then added a lot of mods I personally enjoy, and somehow I can actually run a game and it's not crashing after a few minutes. Amazing. I optimized load order with LOOT, but MO and Wrye are still giving me a few minor warnings:

from MO...
Move Flora Respawn Fix - Harvest Overhaul Version after Civil War Overhaul
Move Timing is Everything - Quest Delay and Timing Control after Flora Respawn Fix - Harvest Overhaul Version
Move Traps Make Noise - More Dangerous Traps after Timing is Everything - Quest Delay and Timing Control
Move When Vampires Attack after Traps Make Noise - More Dangerous Traps
Move Complete Crafting Overhaul Remade after When Vampires Attack
Move Ars Metallica - Smithing Enhancement after Complete Crafting Overhaul Remade
Move Provincial Courier Service after Ars Metallica - Smithing Enhancement
Move The Paarthurnax Dilemma after Provincial Courier Service
Move Alternate Start - Live Another Life after The Paarthurnax Dilemma
Move SkyUI after Thunderchild - Epic Shouts and Immersion
Move Aurora - Standing Stones of Skyrim after SkyUI
Move Spectraverse - Magic of the Magna-Ge after Aurora - Standing Stones of Skyrim
Move Dwemertech - Magic of the Dwarves after Spectraverse - Magic of the Magna-Ge
Move Apocalypse - Magic of Skyrim after Dwemertech - Magic of the Dwarves

from Wrye, master index vs LO (orange warnings):
Thunderchild's Wyrmstooh patch expected Thunderchild to be loaded before Wyrmstooth
some AOS compat patches expected AOS to be loaded before the other mods (Realistic Water, Wet And Cold, Guard Dialogue Overhaul)

Who to trust about load order? I figured LOOT was the BOSS replacement and should be solid. But, if the mods have internal notes that give different advice...?

I ended up not loading SPERG or Perkus Maximus. My first run in a long time without some kind of perk revamp. Plenty of other gameplay mods, though. I'm looking forward to giving Civil War Overhaul a try, and a bunch of standalone quests/dungeons/expansions I never finished before (Falskaar, Wyrmstooth, Dragonborn DLC, etc).

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Are there any special instructions for installing SPERG 4.0 these days? I may add it to my STEP 2.2.9 (+frostfall, +extra land quests like falskaar, etc) install.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

ugh, I've got some bug in my current save where the game crashes when midnight rolls around. no idea how to avoid it. it even happens if I try to fast travel to get past midnight, and no useful info in the logs. :( :( not sure what to do, I rolled back to oldest save.

• Locked thread