Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Honestly the thing that's fixed the majority of my fuckups (which in fairness, are inevitably caused by me being an idiot and manually installing something) is just a flat out reinstall. Especially with such a short modlist, you should be fine. Just make sure to back up your games first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Ughhhh. Does anyone have the problem, with the unofficial patch, where it just seems that certain scripts refuse to fire? For instance, if I kill a dragon it won't disintegrate and give me the soul. Or I can't pick up unusual gems. Or I can't use, say, dual wield block (which is my go to to test to see if that's a thing). It really is incredibly annoying and I've heard that it's the unofficial patch that causes it, but given that I'm literally running 200 mods on this thing it's probably my own bloody fault somewhere along those lines.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Aight, doing a new install of skyrim and I fully plan on modding the hell out of it. What are some major recommendations? I don't really care allllll that much about ENB or the like since I like having a ~60 frame rate.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 22, 2013

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Simple, stupid question. Is there a way I can manage the priority of individual esps in MO? I've been trying to switch over and organizing my esps is the last step I have yet to do. I know I can reorder the mods themselves but that's not quite the same thing and for some reason I can't get it to play nice with BOSS.

E: Okay, have to do it manually. That's annoying.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 22, 2013

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

LtSmash posted:

Add boss as an executable inside MO and run it that way. It'll only see active mods.

Oh, no, I did that, it's just that I couldn't edit the priority of the individual plugins on the right pane and the mods in the left pane seemed uneffected when I ran boss.

E: Still can't, ugh. How can I edit the load order of my plugins in MO?

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 22, 2013

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

LtSmash posted:

Drag and drop isn't reordering them? Left pane is essentially what install order is without MO, so what textures conflicts and the like win, right pane is esm/esp load order. Boss only does load order. A mod can have different places in the left and right panes but you should be able to drag and drop up and down within a pane to change order.

Oh whoops. Didn't even realize you could do that, wow. Thanks!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

LtSmash posted:

Signature Weapons for Skyrim seems to be in a good state and could use some testing if anyone is a cool enough dude. Please don't add it to a 300 hour save game and delete all your old files. I've left out tempering and enchanting for the moment as the skse guy is working on a much better way to handle them. It requires SKSE and skyui. Setup is through the skyui mcm.

Let me know about any bugs or ideas for new features.

For some reason it doesn't seem to work with crossbows, and doesn't play nice with already enchanted weapons. I tried with regular and mod added weapons. Regular worked just fine sans enchantment (I'll check with an enchantment), modded was a bit iffier. Seemed to work fine with mod added weapons if they're unenchanted. Enchanted either didn't work (weapon disappeared, I didn't get a new one, had to reload). Alternatively, it flagged it with a stolen flag and turned everyone hostile.

So uh, I'd recommend fine tuning. Seems super cool though, and it's worth noting I added this to a (new) playthrough with about 140 different mods.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

LtSmash posted:

Thanks for testing it. Crossbows will need a dawnguard compatibility patch since I didn't want to add the requirement to the base mod. Should be really easy to do, just slipped my mind.

I realize I commented out all the enchantment stuff since player enchants weren't working. You should have gotten an unenchanted version though. Was it only mod weapons that disappeared or vanilla too? I'll look into what was going on there. The stolen flag is even weirder. Can you give any details about what/where that happened? Was the weapon originally stolen, was it mod added, and was it something that happened repeatedly? If you can tell me what mods had issues I can do some tests with them too.

I've been rewriting how it tracks the weapon because skyrim has a huge bug where ObjectReferences will sometimes break items forever and I used a pretty ugly workaround. The skse guy did a little digging and suggested a much nicer solution so hopefully that will fix some things anyway.

Haven't managed to get back on and check, though I will next time I go on. With regards to the stuff I've already done; I don't have a clue what happened wrt the stolen flag, I spawned the weapon in by console (the longclaw sword to be specific). Unfortunately I didn't test it more than once. I'll go do that tomorrow or whenever. Mod weapons and vanilla crossbows disappeared, though that's probably the dawnguard thing coming into play. I'll test again with enchanted base weapons.

For reference I put it last in the load order.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

So does anyone know a fix to the problem where Skyrim stops responding on the loading screen, but after a minute or three goes through? Because for the life of me I can't figure out how. It was working fine, I edited an enchantment in the CK and then bam, problem. Happens even with new games, and even with that specific esm disabled.

Happens even when I disable all mods actually, the heck?

E: Well reinstalling skyrim did it. Weird.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 26, 2013

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Raygereio posted:

These are all the levelled items in the game:
Lunar weapons
Mage's Circlet
Gauldur Blackblade
Gauldur Blackbow
The Pale Blade
Nightingale Blade
Nightingale Bow
Amulet of Articulation
Chillrend
Nightingale Armour
Dragonbane
Shield of Sollitude
Miraak's Sword
Miraak's Staff (all 3 versions have the same stats save for value)
Miraak (the mask)
Miraak's Robe (all 3 versions are the same)

If Dawnbreaker or Volendrung appear to be weak, then that's just because they don't have really impressive stats compared to the items you can make yourself.

I'm not aware of a mod updates leveled items. But here's a plugin that will edit the lists for the above items so that when you get the item, yoú always get the best version.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/16090/

Tada!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

graynull posted:

That was basically my assessment. Starting with almost adept level of your +10 racial just felt really cheap, like I was skipping almost all the novice and apprentice level spells. I ended up ditching it and just setting my base carry weight to 100-150 depending on build.

player.forceav carryweight 1000 was the first command I ever used.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

So y'all know any mods that make being a vampire/vampire lord better? Because it's fun and all, but being a vampire doesn't do much for ya.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Xik posted:

I've found you have to untick then click modify and then OK. If you play full screen it's probably a bad idea to leave it running in the background. MO stupidly grabs focus (minimizing Skyrim) when the little error overlay message pops up.

Just run it in borderless windows?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Avocados posted:

Has Steam Workshop gotten more use lately? It looks far easier to use and I'm surprised more modders aren't using it.

vvv: Ahh well I sound dumb. That makes a lot of sense.

Also subscribing to mods is awful.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Quift posted:

Speaking of this...

I'm currently experiencing an eternal loading screen when I try to enter dragonsreach. probably due to Random alternate start. This isn't much of a problem just means that I will never experience the main plot on this run, but i'm wondering if anyone has a tip on how to kill Skyrim except a hard reboot?

(win8)
I can ctrl-alt-delete, and open the task manager, but the desktop is only responsive above the bottom bar (taskbar?), so I can choose it, but the mouse disappears when I move it up.
I can open the winn8 start menu, but there is nothing to do there (but it is very pretty?)
alt-f4 doesnt do squat.

So is there anyway to kill a process from a fullscreen app in win8? because those work but they can sort of only check my twitter feed (for which I would obviouslt need a fulllscreen app).

Or wrestle back the control of the desktop environment from skyrim?

You can also sign out and sign back in. which saves you a restart, but not your open files.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Ynglaur posted:

You can press F and pan around your character while in third person, even while moving. I don't think this works if you have a weapon unsheathed, but it may. (You would need to keep the F key depressed).

What.

How did I not know this.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

El Grillo posted:

Hang on... so really Steam has to be out of program files? I have steam in program filesx86 on my SSD. If it does have to be outside of program files, is there any chance this could be added to the OP?

It doesn't HAVE to be. I have Skyrim in my program files because really, gently caress moving it, things work just fine. Sure, it's not optimal or the most stable, but it works well enough for me. IF you're doing a fresh install, obviously switch it out of there but really.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Does the new fix do anything if you only have 2 gigs of VRAM?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

Do werewolf claw attacks count as unarmed attacks? If so, do they benefit from SPERG perks and things that benefit unarmed?

How do I claw the most face

by not being a werewolf.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Is there a mod out there that adds a tackle-like effect to Whirlwind Sprint? After playing Bioshock Infinite and starting a replay of Mass effect I want more supertackling in my games.

Forgotten magic has a spell along those lines I believe. http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/35339/

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

I thought that's what LoversLab was? :quagmire:

This is off topic but this entire time I thought it was LoverSlab.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Coach Sport posted:

Is there a borderless windowed mode mod that works with the latest version? I'm seeing a couple just searching on Skyrim Nexus, but apparently none of them work with the newest version of Skyrim or I can't figure out how to install them right (yes i have SKSE and am following the instructions correctly).

Does onetweak not still work?

E: Beaten

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Capn Beeb posted:

Tribunal Robes & Masks

The feathery shoulder thing is from:

Raven Witch Armor It's the cape, but I just removed the cape part in nifskope on a whim and really liked how it turned out.

I found an usurper to my title of "weird witch lady".

Snatched her weave right off her head. And her head right off her shoulders. :owned:

"Gee whiz I'm sure glad my guards let this bizarro woman approach me. :downs:"

give me your modlist this is fantastic

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

so if I have 2 2gb gtx 760s in SLI approximately how pretty can I make this game?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Aight, first troubleshooting question of the reinstall. I'm using GELO, the SkyProc patcher. Problem is that everytime I run it it throws a nullpointerexception at me. Checking the error logs, apparently it's throwing a fit at Update.esm. Any ideas here?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Kraven Moorhed posted:

I downloaded ENB and applied the ENB Speedboost. It works great! Well, sort of. My FPS has skyrocketed in towns thanks to ASIS (and possibly another mod) deciding to populate Whiterun's town square with about 20 goats and a dozen cattle, so I won't need to purge them and skip town after all!

Problem is, I'm getting this strange glitch where I'll be going along in the wilderness and all of the sudden I enter an area where the groundcover will stop and my arrows will wait about 2 seconds after I shoot to spawn and fly forward. Eventually the groundcover will populate and things will go back to normal, but it's a bit jarring. And I crashed a bit after that, half a second after quicksaving. When I try to load that save, I just CTD a second or two after loading. :smith: Anyone run into anything similar?

Here is my load order. I've also been getting a bug recently where a lot of NPCs don't move their lips when they talk. Kind of creepy, and a bit inconsistent in who it affects.

Edit:

Oh my god I hate GELO. I could only get it to work on the base game items, but nothing else. Can't even remember how I did that, but I do know it's prone to memory issues like any other reproccer (even moreso since it doesn't work with SUM). If I remember correctly, your trouble may have to do with window's base java settings. Or it could be the level in your file directory that GELO is in (copy-pasting the jar and the exception list up/down a level in the directory sometimes works). Or it could be that you should be running the batch file instead of the jar, though that depends on its own set of circumstances.

Basically, GELO is old and busted. I like the enchantments it offers, but the program itself is awful from a user standpoint and is no longer supported by the modder.

A shame, but oh well. Any decent alternatives?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

It is depressingly hard to make a decent looking character in skyrim, even with the racemenu mod.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Xavier434 posted:

I don't have a loot overhaul recommendation but hopefully someone else can help you with that. What I can recommend as an addition to a loot overhaul is a combination of Legacy of the Dragonborn along with some of the addons but especially Skyrim Unique Treasures and the Great Jar Hunt. What this did for me was make exploration and collecting loot 10x more interesting because it gives you a museum to fill up and there are now a ton of unique items that are all over Skyrim for you to find. It makes exploring, breaking into houses, etc a lot more interesting because it gives that feeling of never knowing what you will find but wondering if it will be something rare and fun. If you decide to try it along with some addons just remember that you need to install the original mod associated with the addon as well.

There is also a lot more to the mod than just the museum which you can read about in its description.

Legacy of the Dragonborn

Skyrim Unique Treasures

Great Jar Hunt

Wait so do you need the museum for the unique treasures bit? 'Cause I'm thinking of adding it but I've been trying to stay clear of script heavy mods this time around. Difficult when I've 140 odd plugins.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

So SPERG issue. I just got the perk that lets you zoom in with a bow/crossbow and slows time, Steady Hand. Problem is that time is slowed to a completely ridiculous amount. Like, way more than 50%. Nothing seems to be overwriting it or anything, and to be honest I'm somewhat confused about the matter. Is there anything I can do to diagnose this? Both of the spell effects from the main skyrim.esm seem uneffected as well.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 29, 2014

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Quick question. If I wanted to go about making a ring that'd make you invisible, how would I go about doing so? I can just about figure making and placing the ring and all that, I'm just not entirely sure how to get the visual and mechanical effect.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Quick question. Is it possible to make it so that a given skill does not contribute towards your levelling up? For, say I want enchantment or smithing at 100 - I don't really want that to cause me to level up when my combat skills lag behind. Any way to do that in skytweak or the uncapper?

E: Figured it out

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 18, 2014

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Someone remind me what the mod that made decorating and positioning loads better was? That is to say, the one where it makes moving objects not in your inventory easier, for decorating houses and the like.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

fentan posted:

Pretty sure they're talking about Jaxonz Positioner.

Jaxonz has a bunch of really useful, elegant utility mods that I've been meaning to do a write up on for a while because they're weirdly underrated, but I'm lazy. Basically I recommend everyone check out the rest of his mods too. My favourites are Lights Please for making Candlelight and Magelight actually useful, Renamer for renaming anything (including characters and creatures, like your horse!), and Crafting Helper for quickly grabbing all your materials with a hotkey and returning them just as easily when you're done crafting. Those last two work really well together, you can set up and lable food and material storage in your crafting area, organize all your stuff and then grab everything whenever you need it. I like it a lot more than the autosort/cloud storage mods I've tried. For some reason I get kick out of my storage making sense. So I actually use the labelled containers in my mod house for like, "Fruits and Vegetables" and "Baking supplies", and this saves me a lot of tedium grabbing all the stuff I need to make an apple dumpling or whatever. DOVAHKIIN.

This looks all very cool, but the positioner is overwriting some of the renamer's scripts. Any way I can use them both together with MO?

E: Also, don't suppose there's a mod that lets you add light sources or chests or things eh? The vanilla houses are really dark. I noticed that one of Jaxonz's mods let you add chests and stuff to your house which I thought was really cool, but it seems like it's incomplete.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Midnight Voyager posted:

I'm reasonably sure they just use one of the same scripts. Overwriting should be fine, because they just both have a copy of the script.

Positioner does that, by the way. Find a lamp or chest you like, hit the button to copy it to your inventory, go home, drop it, position it around, voila. You can do it with things like staff enchanters, and it works just fine!

awh sweet, didn't know that was a feature. Thanks!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

What armour set is that? It looks fabulous.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Speaking of houses, I want a castle. Not super super city sized big, but stuff like Strunmah is a bit too small. Somewhere I can put all my poo poo that has decent lighting, and hopefully isn;'t too too ugly. Any suggestions?

Player homes in general too I guess but I'm in a castle-y mood.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

botany posted:

That was my first guess too, but I've hosed around with the load order and that doesn't seem to change anything.

Check in TESVEdit to see what's overriding it, if anything.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

botany posted:

If I knew how to do that I wouldn't have posted here.

I don't know much about CoT, but go into TESVEdit, load all your plugins (if you run TESVEdit through MO you're fine and it will do so automatically), and right click anywhere and hit "apply filter for cleaning." This will take some time but will highlight any and all conflicts for you. Then just go to whatever mod you feel isn't working, open it up, and check and see what is and is not overwritten. You can drag and drop settings from one mod into another, making your own custom merged patches that way.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

So I reinstalled windows while having skyrim and MO on a separate drive. Problem is that despite having all the mods in the mods folder for MO it isn't recognizing any of them and overwrote my plugin list. Am I hosed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah gently caress creating characters the vanilla way, that poo poo takes forever. Hell just the carriage ride at the start takes FOREVER, much less the scripted dragon escape.

Play through the start normally once, then use alternate-start for all your other new characters.

Never again.

Honestly what I want and have yet to find is an alternate start mod that just plops you up at High Hrothgar right after talking to the greybeards for the first time. or even after killing that western watchtower dragon.

Literally the thought of doing those 2 hours of gameplay again completely saps my desire to play.

• Locked thread