Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I was actually pretty impressed with Interesting NPCs the other day. I won't ~spoil~ it just in case but a village had a guy added who was sulking around. I assumed he was just there to talk to. Then after I came through a few times an old friend stopped by to see him and convince him to sober up, and then we all banded together to fight a bandit raid. Not a storytelling masterpiece or anything, but it was a cool little quest to stumble across when you think you've seen everything. It felt like a seamless part of the game, though maybe weighted a little toward Oblivion instead of Skyrim's mandatory one (1) dungeon to receive [radiant item] and one (1) Reward Treasure Chest style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Though you're still stuck doing dumb wacky hilarious whistles to call your horse.

Buy a horse horn from a stable, it sounds much better and teleports your horse straight to you.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

futile posted:

Inconsequential NPCs does add that town crier to Solitude. It doesn't add ghosts walking around in the city of Winterhold. There's like 2 of them in The Midden.

Beat me to it. My first time to the Midden was with it installed and I didn't even realise the ghosts were added :shrug:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The thing is, there's no reason to ban someone from downloading your mod except some juvenile idea of 'punishment'.

Sure, if they're making GBS threads up your comments, ban them from posting there - that fixes the problem. If someone is harassing people or whatever, ban them from the site - that fixes the problem. But what does banning someone from downloading your mods solve? It's a feature that exists solely to spite someone who pisses you off.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

To you guys using crazy-ridiculous textures and graphics mods - how do you deal with the RAM hard cap? I've been using a bunch of new textures and I find my fps suddenly slowing into <1 until the game freezes completely. Sometimes its random but in other places, like the bridge outside Windhelm, it's repeatable 9 times out of 10.

It's mostly just a guess that it's RAM as it always seems capped out when I tab out to kill the process. But to be honest I don't really know what I'm talking about either :shrug:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Scyantific posted:

If you're using High-Res textures, then the problem might be that they're poorly optimized. Have no idea about the stock Bethesda HD textures though. Do you have the Unofficial HiRes Patch installed?

Yep. I've already tried disabling most of my landscape textures. It seems to have helped, but I just ran into what looks like another repeatable crash. I'll keep removing stuff and see if I find anything.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Absolutely not :colbert: You don't get to play the game until you break scripts so hard it crashes every ten minutes. Then back to playing with mods to fix it.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Just a quick question - has anyone comae across this before with Live Another Life?

If I pick any start remotely connected to a city, using the bed just sets me back in the prison cell. With Tullius, Ulfric, Hadvar and Ralof, who immediately go at each other :psyduck:. I've been removing recent mods but it doesn't seem to help.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Mod Organiser and I assume NMM downloads have been completely broken for ages for me. Doing it manually works fine though :shrug:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Mr. Crow posted:

Seriously?

Same here, I haven't had any problems with it.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Trustworthy posted:

How is that working out for you? Is it stable, useful/enjoyable, and not prone to loving poo poo up?

I haven't used it long enough to say it won't break things. So far prices seem quite a lot higher, and default settings merchants carry an insane amount of stuff. It's mostly very tweakable though, so I've stopped them having such an overwhelming amount of stock. It might not help that I'm running it alongside Trade and Barter :v:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I really like the idea of a dark souls-y or even ironman Skyrim. Can't imagine it working unless it was all together in a single overhaul though because with a mix of stuff like ASIS, immersive creatures, etc installed, difficulty just swings so much between pointless trash mobs and invincible one-shotting bags of HP. Dark Souls works because it's so well made. Whereas mods combine unpredictably and go 'oh, hope you knew this dragon priest is now unleveled', or spawn a generic boss that can somehow heal faster than you can damage him indefinitely.

Immersive NPCs is pretty good though, and I like the quests you can find. They're often a lot more creative than some of the cookie-cutter ones Skyrim throws at you. The writing gets pretty annoying though. You'll ask someone about the night they left home or whatever and instead of saying oh yeah, it was stormy and cold, they'll go 'it was cold and stormy... I'll always remember it... a maelstrom of rain and :words:'. Nobody talks like that :rolleyes:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

I finally installed Frostfall and Basic Needs and I'm having a blast with a new survivalist type character, but I want more! Any other mods that work well for this type of gameplay? I have immersive creatures for a lot more creature diversity and density, so I'm looking for more stuff like that that makes the wilderness a bit more interesting/challenging.

Hunterborn is really good. It expands on hunting and butchering animals so that time passes, your skill can get you better qualities of pelt, you can harvest new alchemy ingredients like hearts, that sort of thing. It also adds a 'forage' power to hunt for edible mushrooms and whatever, and some crafting options for animal bones and stuff that you find. Fully compatible with Realistic Needs and Frostfall, I'm not sure about Basic Needs though.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

I installed Project ENB yesterday after building my new computer and I followed all of the instructions on the nexus page. I also have the hi-res texture pack installed. I noticed a very significant performance hit (fps in the low 20s and high teens in whiterun) and I was wondering if my system specs are not going to keep up with the requirements of ENB or if I've set something up wrong. Here's what I have:

i5 4570
gtx 660 2GB
8gb 1600 DDR3

So IDK, I am not particularly expert at modding or putting computers together. Could be that I need to tweak my new hardware since I basically just plugged the parts in, booted up and started playing.

That looks pretty similar to my setup. Kind of basic but check your drivers? If you've added new hardware and fired up Skyrim right away.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Does cannibalism satisfy RNaD's hunger?

99% sure it does, yes. Edit: 100%, and configurable in settings too.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

King Dead posted:

Does anyone know what armor set/pack contains the armor used in this screenshot for this unrelated mod? http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/50244/ It's hard to find leather armor mods that look nice but also simple and plain.

Looks like the standard armour for Dawnguard troops to me?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Remind me of the old bug where chickens would report you if they 'witnessed' a crime. Yeah, it's hilarious, but that's no excuse not to fix it. It's also dumb as hell. Especially when you're in the middle of a MY IMMERSION playthrough. :bethesda: I guess.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

zonohedron posted:

I'm... not particularly impressed with the quality of the writing in the new dialogue, but I was able to "argue with" Delphine and complete the quest without killing Paarthurnax, at least :toot:

:byodame: But Paarthurnax must die!
:black101: No, rash fool! Paarthurnax is but a peaceful remnant of darker days. Take as an example these oblivion gates that still mark the land...

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The Mad Archivist posted:

What has science doooooooone?!

Dark spirit Seath the Scaleless (and friends) has invaded.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Yeah, Interesting NPCs has some really good bits, and the quests are often a lot better than the original game's. There are a few followers with full conversation trees that unfold as you play through the main quest as well, though I'm not sure how many.

There are stand out bad parts, but not because of the voice acting. Usually it's because they're ~so wacky and random~, like there's a nord who insists he's a giant, or a woman who sits in a cage because she likes meeting all the people who roll through and kill the local bandits. But there are just as many who do fit in, so I say go for it.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

There's also Jaxonz Positioner for decoration. It lets you move and rotate objects, and best of all lock them in place so you don't get a physics explosion next time you sneeze. Also you can rebind all the keys which is nice.

No idea how I never came across it earlier.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Download TESVEDIt and run it through mod organizer - that's how I found what mods were overwriting. If you search for the food items that aren't working in the top left, you'll see what mods are overwriting them.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I've come across a pretty odd issue with draugur. Any of the proper mage type ones - I think they're the 'draugur warlock' class in the game files - just spend forever holding their spells ready to fire but doing nothing while I kill them. Other types, like the guys who fire ice at you from one hand, are still fine.

I use ASIS but I've added all my magic mods to the exclusion list, which doesn't seem to help. TesV Exit doesn't seem to think anything is altering the class either.

Something to do with SPERG perhaps? ASIS excludes SPERG perks, but some of the spells it gives out require perks (which are blocked)?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

LtSmash posted:

You can take the magic mods out of the exclusion lists. Its a bug with asis and draugr so the solution is to put draugr in the npc exclusion list. The draugr ai is set to fight with a weapon in one hand a spell in the left and in vanilla they only get left hand spells (there are special npc left or right hand only versions). But when asis gives them right handed spells they equip it and the AI thinks they don't have a valid weapon so they just kinda try and hug you to death. I've been meaning to fix it.

That's really helpful, thanks!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

FCO is great, just turn down the frequency or yeah it'll drive you up the wall.

Those bandits who call themselves - :geno: the forsworn :geno: - show no mercy.

For a change of pace, The Bottomless Pit looks pretty cool. Not sure I'd actually have the patience to play through it though.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Hog Butcher posted:

Lightingball, not surprisingly, is a lighting actor. Check for any scripts that effect your lighting.

I suggest ditching RCRN for now and seeing if that does it. RCRN is.. odd.

What's wrong with RCRN? I've always used it just because it's so easy, even if an ENB might look better.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

How is Revenge of the Enemies these days? I used it last year but found it was a mix of really cool stuff and invincible draugur shades that insta-heal over and over till you achieve CHIM and console kill them. Maybe it just mixes badly with some of my other mods?

(Also Red Eagle can gently caress right off :v:)

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

Funny you should mention that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3aqCMujtew

Made this a few days ago. Defeating red eagle with ROTE. :smug:

:drat: I need to use more force spells.

Some people were posting earlier that Spectraverse seemed a bit underpowered, but some of the spells kick all kinds of rear end. I love umbral orbs for unloading on dragons way faster than chucking fire/ice.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

McKilligan posted:

I've been having a bit of trouble with Immersive Armor - What's the best way to tell if it's working? It shows up just fine in the Mod List in SkyUI and doesn't give me any error messages or anything, but it doesn't change anything in the game. I initially thought that maybe I'd only see if when the higher level stuff came into play, but after a couple hours of seeing nothing, I guess it's just not working.

What's the best litmus test to see if it's working? Is there a blacksmith that sells the sets that I can check?

If you downloaded and installed it via Mod Organizer, I'd try manually downloading the files and using MO to select/install them instead. I think I had the same problem and that fixed it for me - though it was a long time ago, so I might be misremembering. It was back when Nexus was making GBS threads itself too, so :shrug:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I kind of like him, except that loving trumpet. Also they need a retake on "hear ye... hearrrrrr yeeeeeee"

His report on the Windhelm murders is great. Solitude has it on good authority that the killer is none other than Ulfric Stormcloak, who is also a werewolf. Now he just needs a line about true Imperial bread for true Imperials.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Yeah, Equipping Overhaul gives you the ini tweak. It also smooths over most bugs that happen when you switch weapons without sheathing first, and adds some immersion-y options for dropping your bow and grabbing a sword or whatever.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Chiming in (again) on Interesting NPCs, I have to say after binging Skyrim for a while that the quests it adds are absolutely fantastic. They have so much more complexity than the dungeon crawls that the radiant system and even half the main story throws at you. All the ones I've found so far are at least on the level of the better Daedric quests. They remind me a lot of Oblivion in that you actually go to places, talk to people, find stuff out etc.

The whiny guy in Dawnstar with writer's block who... pauses emotionally... every few words... can gently caress... right off though :mad:.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Dragon mods. I'm using Ultimate Dragons because the pretty great tesgeneral guide recommended it, but it... doesn't seem to change much so far. I'm level 13, using Deadly Combat with a Nord barbarian, and dragons still fall far easier than they did for my first couple of characters, who generally got OHKO'd by bite attacks or flame breath (my first two characters died like this to most enemies, to be fair). Do they get harder or does this mod just not do very much? I'm hesitant to install Dragon Combat Overhaul due to the author's unfortunate mental illness, and didn't like Deadly Dragons much.

What didn't you like about Deadly Dragons? I've been using it with UD and it seems to give a decent balance, and at it least lets you tweak dragon health and so on.

The biggest pain is Ultimate Dragons' bite killmove which don't give you a chance to block. I can't seem to turn it off in UD or any other killmove settings. Being a higher level with some actual health has gotten rid of it for my current playthrough, at least.

Speaking of killmoves - VioLens just came out. I haven't used it much yet but it looks like a good Dance of Death replacer that has actually been updated in the last two years. It has ranged/magic options too, which is nice.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Yeah if your modded Skyrim is over 30 fps you're doing it wrong. More grass, more trees. 4x4k cutlery textures. Procedurally generated smoke particulates. Lush forests in cities. Mannequins as far as the eye can see. Immersive mudcrab scripts.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

No matter what flavour of animation mod you use, sprinting with a weapon will always be that terrible poo poo where they lean forward at a 45 degree angle both hands thrust back behind them :smith:

Because if there's one place I want my sword in a fight, it's behind my back.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

What axe is that in the last shot? I've found weapon modders really tend to neglect axes and maces. It's all swords swords swords

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

k-spar posted:

Frostfall question: Is it right for my cold meter to be staying at 50% while in a snowstorm, but sitting next to a fire in a fur tent? Placing the fire it was yellow (not blue) so I figured it would warm the tent, but I am getting the message saying that the fire isn't fully warming me. Is something broken?

Nah, a fur tent should let you warm up fully if I member. If there is a cutoff, it's definitely not -50. Sometimes Frostfall stops updating exposure, I'd just use the reset in the mod menu.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Familiar Faces is the one you want, I think.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

So I can hear the siren call of mod shopping for a new playthrough again :negative:

Thought I'd stick my head in and ask - is there a mod to let you begin Dawnguard by walking into Serana's crypt without being sent there? I don't think my IMMERSIVE :drac: would be interested in signing on with some lunatic vampire slayers...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Ynglaur posted:

When I cast Oakflesh, yes. That might fall under "character shader". My ideal would be for it to fade after a few seconds. That would let me see when NPCs buff themselves without forcing me to play in a discotheque.

Haven't got round to using this myself yet, but it sounds like it does what you want - No More Glowing Edges

• Locked thread