Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hothtrooper44
Jul 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Hopefully Hothtrooper continues to post in this thread. How long until you expect version 7 of Immersive Armors to be out?

I'm still around. IA 7 is closeish now. It is much bigger than any previous update which has caused it to take awhile.

Just a few fixes for newly implemented sets from other authors must be done in addition to some more coding of the dynamic leveled list alteration component being added in v7.

Talos Armor is getting close too, and it will be a decent sized quest mod with voiced npcs and multiple sets of armor etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hothtrooper44
Jul 10, 2013

Scyantific posted:

Also, will the Talos Armor mod be as frustrating as the Aesir Armor quest? Because quite a few people have expressed frustration with that horribly long dungeon.

It will be 12 quests long. There is no dungeon built for this mod. This is not a standard draugr romp, but instead this quest chain will lead the user to all the places, people, and quests that already exist that explain who Talos is - and then do a task related to the specific part of Talos they just learned about. By the end of this quest chain, the user will see just how deeply ingrained Talos already is into Skyrim and really feel like they have done justice by him after Skyrim turned their backs on him. There is a cool twist at the end too.

Hothtrooper44
Jul 10, 2013

Gyshall posted:

Any recommendations for armor/weapon mods if I want to play as a God Of War/Spartacus/Gladiator/300 Imperial soldier guy?

I was part of a project to make Spartacus' Armor. Here is the published mod, but note that it is male only.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/36079/

Hothtrooper44
Jul 10, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

The model is nice, but the textures make it look realy plastic-y in that screenshot. Is it the same in-game?

That is rendered in software with more power than Skyrim's engine (Marmoset Toolbag). Technically, it will only look worse in all ways in game. That said, I don't think it looks plastic-y here.

Hothtrooper44
Jul 10, 2013

Seashell Salesman posted:

How is Hoth balance-wise for a starting character? He seems like he would be quite powerful.

I hate when followers steal the show. I made Hoth regular vanilla follower strength, even if he looks like he should be more powerful. The game is not as fun when your follower kills everything before you can see it, lol.

Hothtrooper44
Jul 10, 2013

Scyantific posted:

Yeah but then again it also means that people will probably hold back any form of criticism out of fear of being banned from downloading a mod, even if it's reasonable constructive criticism.

As much as I hate to say it, I think that the guy behind the AMB retexture packs might actually abuse the hell out of this.

That author is very sensitive about his work. He does good work though, and it's free.

I often see goons bashing the Nexus as a hugbox. I could not disagree more as an author to the downfalls many claim a hugbox brings. The entire hugbox debate springs from users who feel entitled enough to believe they have a god given right to publicly criticize any form of game content they want to.

The Nexus does not want passerby's bashing on the content provided for good reasons. It's free, and it's not required. I believe this is a positive. If anyone thinks that allowing typically artistically inept users to freely critic the work of authors will see positive results, they have not put any thought into the subject.

Many authors of mods leave the scene because they get sick of entitled users expecting this or that added or removed. They spend countless hours working on something and all they hear is how it could have been so great if x or y was added. They have jobs and lives usually. Eventually they get fed up and remove all their content and never mod again. It is a last stand of proving that those entitled users do not own them.

Allowing more control to authors over annoying users will better allow respectful users to get more free content. If an author gets a power trip over their ban rights, DO NOT USE THEIR MODS. To me, it is that simple. Overall, it should be a win for both parties.

Hothtrooper44
Jul 10, 2013

LtSmash posted:

Well first we probably shouldn't listen to movie critics because how many of them have made great films? The ability to create anything and the ability to judge a thing are not the same. I couldn't make that AvP game but I sure can call it poo poo. Similarly if I check out a mod I may or may not be able to make it but I can still have a valid opinion on it. I'm not saying users should endlessly poo poo up a thread but being able to disagree with the author is needed. If I liked how a custom sword looked but thought maybe it doing 500 damage was unbalanced would saying it get me banned? What if it doing 500 damage was the author's vision and they got really upset?

People being entitled jerks sucks but a decent moderating policy could solve that without it being a hugbox. Beyond that you just have to ignore it eventually. People should mod for fun not so they can get compliments. If you post something people are free to dislike it, that's life. When you make something public you have to expect the bad as well as the good. If the requests from users are too onerous why not stop reading/responding to them instead of taking down the mod?

There's also the whole ownership and territory thing that the nexus reinforces. I'm sure you've seen Wrye's cathedral vs parlor post. Arthmoor and GateGate are a great example of what's wrong with the modding scene, and the nexus directly feeds that.

If you are referring to general feedback, I think few authors mind it when it is critical. It's common on the Nexus. It is the mentality that because a modder enjoys making things for others, they become a slave to others. This is more common than you would think. Many "requests" are barked like commands. Can it be ignored? Of course! Would you subject yourself to ignoring barking daily though? In any other area of life this would be avoided, so I see no reason to assume that because a mod author chose to make their work public they would not still avoid this outcome in what ways they can.

Anyhow, I really have no personal ties to this issue since I haven't had much a problem with user feedback - not that it is all positive but nothing bad enough to write home about. I just stick up for mod author's rights in these cases because I have seen the angry mob in action against some very nice mod authors. Some authors are dicks, but they are the minority.

Hothtrooper44
Jul 10, 2013

Combo posted:

Very true, got it. Annoying though! Half of the reason I play this drat game is to look like a pretty princess, stop taking options away from me.

Now I have to track down a stormcloak still alive somewhere so I can get a cape because I just installed cloaks of skyrim :v:

You need to be a certain rank within the civil war progression to craft side specific sets. The Heroic Imperial and Heroic Stormcloak sets come first at a lower rank, then the Imperial Knight and Stormlord come at very high ranks. Many of of the sets are integrated into the flow of the game through requirement triggers, quests, etc.

Also, OP should update the thread under the armor mods section. =)

Hothtrooper44
Jul 10, 2013

Agents are GO! posted:

Alright folks, Ive Lootified version 7 of Immersive Armors!

To get this to work, you'll need to delete the old Lootification of IA in Lootification.xml and replace it with this. (I couldn't get it to work without doing that.)

Also, as I know Hoth reads this thread, and I say this with the utmost respect and gratitude for this awesome mod, gently caress each and every one of your 400+ shields.

(I had to remember Turbo Pascal eventually to alter a script to export EDID as opposed to Names, so I could speed that process along. Seriously, gently caress those shields. If I never read the word "Triskele" again I will be a happy man.)

Fake Edit: it was at IAShieldOvalSplintHeavyBlueGreenYellowTriquetra where I realized Hoth hated me, personally.

<3

Hothtrooper44
Jul 10, 2013

Apoplexy posted:

So, did we cover that the Populated Skyrim series is gone because the author was banned by the Nexus mods because they're retards? APPARENTLY Erkeil, who did ERSO and Enhanced Mighty Dragons and Enhanced Enemy AI and all those other mods that almost everyone uses, was banned before so gotta ban him again!

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/1412640-relliosavini-banned/?hl=%2Brelliosavini
http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/1084005-erkeil-banned/

All because of endorsing his own mods with alt accounts. Which were huge mods and already popular. LOL NEXUS. The equivalent of jailing someone for stealing 2 pennies.

This is not fair. What you are opting for is celebrity treatment. Just because his mods were already popular doesn't mean his making multiple accounts to work the system was okay. There are thousands of mod authors on that website who would love a little limelight. Cheaters prevent them from getting it when it would have been fairly obtained, and so cheaters should be removed.

Hothtrooper44
Jul 10, 2013

Agents are GO! posted:

The whole vote/endorse/nexus prestige thing is meaningless bullshit. Considering the whole molerat boobs thing (goon makes a humorous mod, mod gets a bunch of votes, votes are negated and mod removed just because) I don't think giving the nexus mods the benefit of the doubt is warranted here, especially when it makes it harder for people to get those mods.

(Also, considering that loving Schlongs of Skyrim got loving file of the month, I'd say the whole file of the month thing is meaningless.)

Some months have better files get released than others, and some have so little come around that a smaller nitch audience mod like that one could win. It is what it is. Some months are very competitive though.

For example, here was the competition the month Schlongs won:
1 SOS - Schlongs of Skyrim by Smurf and VectorPlexus
2 Immersive Settlements by Pymous
3 Bosmer Armor Pack by Maty743
4 Superior Lore-Friendly Hair - HD textures by skyrimaguas

... for realz. It's makes more sense in this light obviously. None of those are super big mods. It also has to do with how old the game is.

I got file of the month one time, and 2nd place another. Both were full of awesome mods - and it really means something in competitive months. Here are the two for reference:

1 Wet and Cold by isoku
2 Immersive Weapons by Hothtrooper44 - Ironman5000 - Eckss
3 SPERG - Skyrim Perk Enhancements and Rebalanced Gameplay by seorin
4 Skyrim Flora Overhaul by vurt
5 Better Dialogue Controls by ecirbaf

1 Immersive Armors by Hothtrooper44
2 Climates Of Tamriel - Weather - Lighting - Audio by JJC71
3 ACE - Combat Skills by Athyra - ACE Team
4 Convenient Horses by Alek
5 Girls of Skyrim - add 4 Companions by basskimm

There will be FOTM's 5 years from now for Skyrim with 1 new file. Not all FOTM's are equal, so to act like anyone can win because of an off month 2 years after the game came out seems silly.

Edit: Before anyone assumes so, I do not think I deserved to win over x or y mod. The point was that there were lots of awesome mods those months.

Hothtrooper44 fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Feb 19, 2014

Hothtrooper44
Jul 10, 2013

Scyantific posted:

Edit: Now that Hoth is here, is there anything I have to do to make version 7 of IA compatible with Frostfall or is that something I have to ask Chesko?

Talk to Chesko. There is also the in-game way he made to assign W.E.A.R. stuff until he makes a new version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hothtrooper44
Jul 10, 2013

TheSpookyDanger posted:

I agree with you about a lot of mod makers these days being the absolute worst, but the mod making community's incredible bullshit wasn't mentioned in the post I quoted. It was essentially, "man why don't these modders take the mods they clearly care about and make the extra effort to really polish them." Which is a fair question, I don't ever use that type of mod for the same reason. I was just commenting that adding quests is genuinely non-trivial.

The answer is the obvious one. The mod maker makes mods for fun. They also do like to share, but don't want to do the parts that are not fun for them. Some mod makers do it for attention, or just because they like to help people. But the ones you mention just do it for fun.

• Locked thread