Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Is there anything like a hitbox overhaul mod? I've had far too many arrows get stuck where they really shouldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

There's something very satisfying about fighting ghosts whilst unarmed.

Not sure if this is the right place to post these, is there a general thread I should post these in instead?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

What is your spec and outfit from?

The outfit is the Rogue Thief armor from Warmonger's Armory with a cloak and hood from either Cloaks of Skyrim or Winter is coming - Cloaks. I think the backpack is from Sabre Cat Backpack.

I'm running this on a rig with an Nvidia Geforce GTX 770, 8GBs of RAM, and an Intel i5-4690 CPU. Also all the other bits you need to make a computer work.

I haven't actually invested anything into unarmed, Khajiits are just really good at punching people. At low levels I actually did more damage punching people than by using melee weapons.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Nov 25, 2014

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Heh I meant your character spec.

Oh, right. I'm mostly focusing on archery and sword-and-board, with some unarmed to spice things up. Pretty generic stuff, but I enjoy it.

First time using light armor, though. I'm liking it so far.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 25, 2014

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Would a Khajiit use a shield?

Depends on the Khajiit, really.

Personally I'd prefer not to, but it's just so handy.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Ugh, I think I'll have to give up on the Fire and Ice Overhaul, which is a shame, as I really like about half of it.

The part I really like is the fire effects, seeing the fire spread everywhere is really cool, but the ice spikes that pop up everywhere means that it's pretty much impossible to get around, especially when fighting frost dragons. Getting encased in ice is immersive in a very literal way, but it's also really annoying. Also the spikes tend to be floating in midair.

They also seem to cause a bit of an fps-drop for me, though that might just be because of the ice retexture mod I'm using, plus ENBs and all that.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Skyrim Radioactive has been set to hidden

quote:

I hide my modd as long as the situation is resolved with Steam.

Since I have not finished the redesign of the interiors, this modd will hide the time it was all over

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

LumberingTroll posted:

I have a question that is actually about mods.
I want a combat overhaul, huge mod list, and I use SPERG, which should I use?

I've heard good things about Ultimate Combat, I'm planning to use it for my next run.

The author of that mod has also made A dodging mod and a mod that adds a camera effect when you hit things, which should both be compatible.

There's also Violens, which adds more killmoves, and lets you customize a whole bunch of stuff related to them.

All of them should be compatible with SPERG, as far as I know. But that's mostly because almost everything works with SPERG.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Scyantific posted:

:laffo::laffo::laffo: Not even a week

Well, they've been outed as assholes, so Mardoxx and co. will probably pull 5.0.

Hahahahaha holy poo poo, man. Chesko, Isoku, Mardoxx. All of these people have been loving crucified, and for what? Nothing.

Hopefully we'll soon get an influx of highly competent new modders with remarkably empty portfolios.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

So I'm trying to merge some plugins from Expanded Towns and Cities, as I have way too many of them lying around (30, Jesus Christ). I've been trying to follow this guide, but it's for an outdated version of Merge Plugins xEdit Script, and I'm not sure which steps are still necessary.

I've followed the steps as best I could, but I'm currently stuck at the part where I'm supposed to use the Creation Kit. When I first tried opening the merged file I made, I got the error message "Multiple master files selected for load. Load operation aborted.", and it wouldn't let me continue. I fixed that by following the steps shown here and here, but now I'm getting the error "QUESTS: Could not find previous info (02036A5F) for TopicInfo (0203606) in Topic "" (02017E6A)."

I searched around to see if anyone else had a similar error, and apparently it and all the error messages following it are just false positives that I should ignore, but I don't feel all that confident about doing so. Should I?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Seriously, there are a lot of error messages popping up.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

When poo poo happens on this scale and Google is no help, starting from scratch is the only thing I can think to do.

Yeah, I kinda assumed that would be the case, it got to the point where clicking through all of them became a hassle.

I should be launching the Creation Kit via MO, right? I assume it wouldn't be able to see the plugins otherwise.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Midnight Voyager posted:

Don't merge all the plugins, by the way. Make sure you have the latest copy of the script and the PROGRAM both. Load all the plugins. Select all of them except for the base plugin. Right click, run script, pick the merge script. It should just work from there. But with that mod, you'll have problems merging them all into the base.

I don't know why it tells you to use the creation kit? I never use it. It should work fine from that. Save the ESP, load it up again and then check for errors, if you like.

The creation kit can't load plugins with more than one master out of the box. There's some way to fix it, but I haven't really needed the CK enough to use it.

EDIT: Program, not problem, jfc.

I'm running the latest version of both xEdit Scripts and TESVedit, that's one of the main reasons I have issues with the guide, as it's pretty drat outdated.

The first merge file I made was for towns and settlements only, minus Dragon bridge South, as it's apparently asocial and really hates being merged, according to the mod author, at least. I planned to make a separate merge file for patches, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

I need the Creation Kit as I apparently have to use it for regenerating the "Navigation Mesh Info Map" (NAVI) information, which can apparently be done by opening the plugin in the Creation Kit and then saving it again. The reason I have to regenerate the NAVI information is because the guide explicitly told me to use TESVedit to delete the merged file's original one.

I guess it's to make sure that it's cohesive or something? I really have no clue.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I'm trying to install Dual Sheath Redux and I get the following when I try to patch it:

I'm guessing they're not playing nice but I'm not sure.

(And yes I have the cloak mods properly installed).

Can you post your load order, just in case?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

razorrozar posted:

Is WIC Cloaks better than Cloaks of Skyrim? I've always used the latter and never had any complaints, it's p awesome.

I've used both for years as they're fully compatible, I don't even know which cloak is from which mod, all I know is that they're both great.

Seriously, add WIC to your load order.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 14:02 on May 1, 2015

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

Advise to un-equip and re-equip any cape with this problem, call it "Ultimate HD Immersive Lore-Friendly Clothing Re-Adjustment of Skyrim"

Sometimes I like to search those terms on the Nexus just to see what comes up.

This time I found a mod called Immersive NPCs in the dark, do anyone have any experiences with it?

If it works properly, it would be a guaranteed install for me.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Everything Burrito posted:

I've been using it and it's pretty neat. I've encountered a few minor bugs where someone in town will go about their sandbox activities like chopping wood one-handed while awkwardly holding a torch in the other but otherwise it seems to be working as intended. It was certainly different to roll into battle with a bunch of mages and have them light up the place with magelight.

The latter sounds cool as hell, think I'm going to try it out.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I'm not sure how I feel about "Ignore the errors, those are normal" being the main advice I'm finding outside this thread about my Creation Kit issues.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

If you're talking about the pop up message boxes that jump out at you every time you open the CK or load plugins into it, you really can just ignore them as long as the CK opens and loads your plugins.

Glad to hear that, seems like everything is working properly then, error messages exluded.

The message boxes are also the only part of the CK that has been translated. "Yes to All" gets translated to "Cancel" for several languages.

I got the Creation Kit to regenerate the NAVI information, like the guide told me to. Don't think I'll ever know why I had to do that, but at least it should work now.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

It has to do with "navmeshes" which are how NPCs know to walk around. I don't fully understand it either, but for mods that add new locations and structures, it becomes an issue when two or more mods use the same space and have to be made compatible with a patch. The patch apparently isn't sufficient to ensure that the navmeshes of the various modded-in locations are compatible, that has to be done in the CK. As I understand it, anyway.

eta: actually I'm missing a piece of the puzzle here, it's merging these locations and patches together that's the issue, somehow that messes up the navmeshes and loading the merged plugin into the CK fixes that... I think? Been a while since I dealt with this.

That seems to be the core of it, yeah. The only thing I did was loading the merged ETaC file into the CK and then saving, like the instructions told me. After that I checked the file out in TESVEdit, and the NAVI information had been readded, so it seems to have worked.

Now to start merging the ETaC patches :toot:

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

MikeC posted:

How up to date is the OP with respect to visual mods?

I just got a shiny new GTX 970 and I am looking to get back into skyrim. What mods/settings/texture packs produce the best long distance viewing especially viewing from mountain tops down. From the original game I remember that was the most jarring experience looking down at flat polygons for long distance.

Sounds like you'd want some improved LODs more than anything else.

I'd suggest The Skyrim Distance Overhaul LOD Improvement, and SkyFalls and SkyMills - Animated Distant Waterfalls and WindMills.

Sorry for the late reply, but I hope this helps!

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

You can also just subscribe to the mod, and then download it via opening the Skyrim launcher in MO. It adds all the files directly to the overwrite folder.

EDIT: Then do this:

axolotl farmer posted:

- there will be a warning that there are files in the Overwrite mod
- refresh the mod list
- Right click the Overwrite mod and select 'Create mod'

Remember to unsubscribe from the mod afterwards.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 10, 2015

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Raygereio posted:

The main advantage of MO is that it keeps mods separate from eachother. If you dump everything in the Overwrite folder, you've just moved the "festering pile of mods"-thing that MO was designed to solve from the Data folder to there.
That said, if you don't use multiple profiles in MO it's not likely to be an issue. But not being able to set installation order preferences can be a downside.

My overwrite folder tends to be pretty clean. I didn't mention the "Create Mod" part, as it's a pretty simple step which had already been covered by axolotl farmer.

I'll add it to my post though, it's probably a good idea to mention it.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 10, 2015

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Isn't last seed supposed to be a sort of farming mod? Frostfall is pretty good and being able to set up some kind of camp in a cave would be quite nice.

Might not be exactly what you're looking for, but this mod adds a bunch of small caves and hideouts that play really well with Frostfall and other survival mods.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Motherfucker posted:

Ok, So, I know I'm opening up a massive can-o-worms, but I want to make my characters look visually better with their textures and poo poo BUT I don't really want them to look like loving super models / wade through the nexus's idea of 'enhanced body' mods.

Seriously the main modding resources don't even try on this front, there's no section for it on GEMS or anything and I'm kinda conflicted like maybe I shouldn't bother, maybe this is the fuckin' road to hell...

Basically what I'm asking is is there any mods out there that will buff my looks / customisability with minimal conflicts that also won't make me want to alt-tab when someone walks into my room... I've got Race-menu and digitigrade argonians and catmans but that's about all I can think of that'd conflict.

For textures, I'd suggest trying out Xenius Character Enhancement, Superior Lore-Friendly Hair - HD textures, XCE - Warpaint and Dirt, High Resolution Scars, MacKoms Real Skin for Men (not a link to a body wash commercial), Coverkhajiits - HD Khajiit face retextures, Hvegelmir's Beard retexture, and one of these brow retextures.

For various character-based stuff that may or may not be strictly relevant there's XCE - Scarface, Pumping Iron - Dynamic Muscle Growth, Bowlegged jump animation Fix, 360 Walk and Run Plus, Bald head, Bandit eyepatch.

I haven't really found much more than that, because there's a lot of stuff to dig through, and frankly I'm not sure I'd want to know what I'd find if I did so.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 1, 2015

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

scamtank posted:

Some random starts of Skyrim Unbound can be just as absurd. My current guy started out as some sort of a shipwreck survivor, next to a fire in a crude lean-to stuck on a small island in the Sea of Ghosts, a straight shot north from Saarthal, wearing nothing but bare Imperial clinky-steel that doesn't retain any heat whatsoever.

After having to swim through below-freezing water to reach the shore, I was in a bit of a rush to find the closest cave-like thing to warm up and dry off in. It was to my benefit that Frostfall considers absolutely all interior spaces, from castles to ice caverns, warm and dry.

I had a similar experience with Frostfall and Alternate Start - Live Another Life. Started as a Khajiit on a sunken ship in the Sea of Ghosts, swam inland to an ice cavern and then immediately started suplexing ghosts.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Blimpkin posted:

I don't mind starting over, as I've barely even begun at this point, I just don't want to load to a CTD or something. I'll apply the patches after the DLC but before the HiRes.

Agents are GO! posted:

Don't forget the unofficial hires patch!

I've noticed that LOOT likes to sort the unofficial patches directly after their corresponding mods, so the plugins end up alternating between them (DLC1 - UnoPatch1 - DLC2 - UnoPatch2 etc). Is there any benefit or detriment to doing this over loading the DLCs first and then the patches in separate batches (DLC1 - DLC2 - UnoPatch1 - UnoPatch 2), or does it not matter in the slightest as long as the patch is loaded shortly after their required plugin?

I've assumed that it's the latter, I just wanted to make sure .

All that said, I'm guessing that LOOT simply sorts them that way because it's programmed to sort the patches as high up in the load order as possible, is that right?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Emong posted:

The former is correct. poo poo can get wacky if they aren't sorted that way.

Glad I listened to LOOT then, thanks for the info! :)

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Edmond Dantes posted:

Question regarding AA:

I remember reading somewhere that Skyrim's in-game AA is poo poo, and that I should use ENB's or my graphics card's AA instead. Is this true? Which one is better, ENB's or the card's?

I'm using ENB just for ENBoost, do ENB's AA settings still affect the game in this case?

I can't say anything definite on that, but I have a feeling that it might depend on what graphics card you're using, so it might be a good idea to post what model it is, just in case it turns out to be relevant.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

How useful is the Unofficial SPERG compatibility patch for Immersive Armors these days?

It hasn't been updated for IAv8 and it seems like Immersive Armors now has "Updated integrated compatibility", though I have no idea how much that affects SPERG, as I'm not getting much out of TES5Edit.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 20, 2016

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

In Mod Organizer, is it generally a good idea to say yes to unpacking .BSAs when prompted, as long as the mod page doesn't explicitly tell you not to?

I've read arguments both for and against doing so, so I'm not all that sure what I should be doing.

Weirdly enough I've both heard claims that:

1. Unpacking .BSAs will lessen load times because with .BSAs the game has to load the entire BSA no matter whether all the files in it are used or not. However, with loose files, the game only has to load in the files that haven't gotten overwritten by another mod further down your load order.

2. Unpacking .BSAs will increase load times because loose files take up more space, or something in that vein.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Foxhound posted:

gently caress. Picked "robbed and left for dead" as start in LAL, it dumped me in the middle of nowhere, Solstheim. And I forgot to make a save after I had sorted out all the settings in MCM. :negative: Think I might just cheat some gold so I can at least take the boat back to the mainland because enemies on Solstheim wreck my unarmed/unarmored rear end, especially with Deadly Combat.

If you want another fun start, try the "Shipwrecked" one with Frostfall active.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Singing Sunflower posted:

Are you sure you got the right mod?

I think they did.

Of course, those are the worst offenders I could find on the mod page

There certainly are some better looking areas, as shown below, but they don't really make up for the immense boxitude of the rest of the mod, at least not for me.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Totally agreed on this. I thought Holds looked interesting at first, but after looking at screenshots/videos I was really put off by the lack of architectural details or even interesting clutter in the new cities. The blocky buildings look horrible. It's no good for towns to be bigger just for the sake of being bigger, when they just look lovely. Expanded Towns and Cities really does it right. The only downside is that you need like 6 plugins for it.

Another one that looks actually pretty good is "The People of Skyrim" which actually overhauls places, not people. What it does is, instead of adding onto existing towns, it adds more inhabited areas to the game, like a little fishing village on the coast below Winterhold for example. It looks great and says it's compatible with a ton of other mods, but when I looked at the files page I saw it actually has PATCHES for a ton of other mods, and I decided I really didn't want to add ten more plugins on top of ETaC...

I suppose you could merge the patches to keep the plugin count low-ish, but I'd imagine that would be a bit of a pain to deal with, especially whenever updates came out and such.

Then there are all the incompatible mods that should have a patch, but doesn't actually have one. And you don't necessarily know which mods that is.

Yeah, I can see why you decided to skip it.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

Does the open cities mod that puts the major cities on the overworld work well without needing a pile of patches and plugins? The comments on nexus seem divided on this point.

It's actually one of the least conflicting mods out there, to the point where it's even backwards-compatible with Oblivion!

These are lies.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 21, 2016

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

I swear I've asked this before, but how do you make a completely clean installation of Skyrim? I haven't played for a long, long time but my save files are utterly hosed. Figured I'd just burn everything and start completely fresh rather than trying to retrace my steps - there's even a bunch of texture and lighting mods installed that don't appear in the Curse client, further muddying things.

Depends on how far you want to take it.

What I'd suggest is to uninstall the game normally, delete everything in \steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\ and then do the same thing in \[USER]\Documents\Skyrim.

That should get rid of native Skyrim completely, as well as get rid of every modded file that's been thrown into the actual Skyrim folders.

You'll also probably want to uninstall your mod managers and clear out their folders, especially if you use Mod Organizer, as all the mods associated with it are stored in its own folders, rather than in Skyrim.

If you want to take it even further, you could uninstall the game via a program like Revo Uninstaller, which will let you remove everything directly associated with the game, all the way down to registry edits, if you so choose. Mind that messing with the registry can lead to Bad Things happening, so be careful about that.

Of course, if you want to use Revo Uninstaller, then you'll need to let it do its thing before you follow any of the other suggestions I wrote.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Fleve posted:

The Static Mesh Improvement Mod didn't seem to impact performance much but made things look a lot better without being out of place.

I know it impacts performance if you're using a GTX 270 or something older than that.

Man am I glad I got my PC upgraded.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Also, just in case: Are Mod Organizer or Skyrim itself installed in program files?

Because they shouldn't be.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 22, 2016

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

graynull posted:

I'm glad I'm almost done with my current playthrough. This game is so unstable it becomes totally unplayable. I'm almost guaranteed to crash in every lengthy fight with literally no ideas why. Logs don't give any clues, script test seems to be running well within normal speeds. I think the next time I play through I'm going to have to cut a ton of mods to try to prevent my 120+ hour save games from just becoming useless.

Have you tried out Crash Fixes on Nexus? It might help with your issues.

I'd link it but I'm phoneposting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Honestly, the impression I've gotten so far is that he's just doing his best to minimize any chance of him wasting time on hobbies when he could be using that time to find employment instead.

And that carries with it the implication that whenever he eventually finds a job, Wyrmstooth and his other mods might make a comeback.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 26, 2016

• Locked thread