Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Hey everyone! So I used to play a lot of Skyrim on my PS3, so I never got into modding at all. Well I recently got bought a much never computer an I was hoping to finally give Skyrim modding a whirl. However I have found it a bit overwhelming! There are simply too many mods. I want to download 50 new quest mods and dungeon packs, but the prospect of downloading them and getting them all to work together is a bit daunting.

Is there some kind of giant 10GB torrent mod pack that has lots of mods all working together? I want to play with tons of mods, but I don't want to spend a million years putting it together (I also kind of like to be surprised).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

scamtank posted:

In a word: no. There are curated piles of mods like SkyRE or G.E.M.S. that try to adhere to at least some sort of quality standard, though.

Thats a bit disappointing. I have been spoiled by Minecraft, it has hundreds of one click mod packs.

Oh well I guess it's off to the Nexus! This is going to take a couple of days :(

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Apoplexy posted:

It is. But note that most quest mods blow chunks. I'd recommend, instead, focusing on the core gameplay. There's so much good there that it'll be hard to not want to play the game through multiple times with different setups.

Yeah I assumed most of the new quests are of RPG Maker quality. I've mostly been looking at mods that add "100+ new!" monsters/spells/weapons/etc. I don't really care about pretty dresses, or having sex with demons, or decorating a house so a good portion of the mods I can skip.

I'm mostly just after new things to kill, new ways to kill them, and new things to take from them after I have killed them.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

KakerMix posted:

I get emailed and commented on and talked poo poo to constantly since 2011 about things I've created/put together that have been used by millions of people and the idea that someone just can't take it and wants to leave the community all together just says to me that they care too much about things that don't matter. Not to be all like 'lol just walk away from the computer' but I can not understand being so shaken about it.

To be fair, you are just a scoundrel that steals other peoples mods without permission. It's just not the same as someone saying your horse-anus-realism mod isn't realistic enough. That's the kind of criticism only a true artist can feel.

Edit: Also can you make a platform for Skyrim mod packs? Putting all of these mods together is taking me a long rear end time

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 29, 2016

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I learned a long time ago (from my extensive experience with Minecraft modding) it is always best to keep a backup of any good mods. Mod makes are a very delicate bunch, and many often have no problems pulling their downloads (or even injecting malware into new versions to catch "mod pirates") if they feel slighted.

Always remember though, you do no need to feel any kind of respect for their boosted mod egos. Mod authors collect sycophantic communities around themselves, and this feeds their egos to the point that they become giant babies. Any mod author that gets pissed at you for commenting or downloading their mod wrong, has already had more than enough positive attention to their mod to turn them into an ego-baby. Do not feel badly about harming their feelings, they should be grateful for any attention they get. Its like shaming a fat person for eating to much, they won't like it but in the end its good for them. Underappreciated mod authors are just happy for someone to notice them and use their mods, all authors should be as humble.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mortimer posted:

Why?

That's the kind of power mod authors shouldn't have. Block people sure, but ban their access to your mod?

One, it doesn't do dick /r/modpiracy exists, and two, blocking them would do exactly the same thing. All blocking access to the page does is lord your "modder status" over them in the most pedantic way possible.

You know that you can just make another free Nexus account and download "banned" mods all you want, right?

This is a good feature, as it allows mod authors to focus their petty rages on only single people, and in an impotent way. The alternative is mod authors melting down and removing their mods, so that no one can use them.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mortimer posted:

what do yall put in your mod readmes?

mine are always some variation of "merge this in, edit it, rerelease it, rehost it, credit me or don't, I don't care"

pro tip mod for yourself 1st and 4most and you'll never have to worry about mod users ever again :thumbsup:

I would never do that, if people were able to download my mods anywhere then they wouldn't have to go through my homepage where I can count page views. Also I couldn't make everyone go through 5 layers of Ad.fly to get to the download.

Whenever someone disagrees with me on the internet I send a DMCA notice to their YouTube channel :twisted:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Transmogrifier posted:

Well, steering this thread in a somewhat different direction, I recall some posters were asking about "mod packs." I found something like a mod-pack for Skyrim that seems to be focused on immersive playing. USE-ME Ultimate Skyrim Experience Maximum Edition (The names mods come up with haha)

I didn't try it myself but maybe this is what you guys were looking for. It focuses on the use of Requiem over other similar mods, however.

Thanks for this! I was the one looking for a mod pack, but I have since cobbled together my own set of mods. I basically just downloaded the top 20 mods in every category on the Nexus and then fiddled with them until it would boot up. It crashes a lot, and all of the children have turned into anime but I find the experience much more immersive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Davoren posted:

There's never going to be a nexus competitor if someone doesn't set out to make one, but I wonder if the initial resistance would be too much to work through?

Perhaps everyone could just post their normal mods to Lovers Lab? It is an already established Nexus competitor.

• Locked thread