Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

6 armed crone. Make it happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

And then someone casts Burden of Time and Abysia's the first to lose all their poo poo.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Anyone give LA Ulm a try yet? Anything big change with them?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dammit, I wanted to get in on the beta but Desura refuses to take my money so gently caress them I'll wait for it to get on Steam.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TheDemon posted:

The opposite. More terrible.

That's possible?

e:f;b

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

My physical key doesn't work.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Isn't the new LA Ermor some kind of horrible bullshit with freespawn ghosts?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

boho posted:

Shorter but more complex question: why's Blood Magic supposedly so good? I poked around with EA Mictlan and couldn't really get it to go anywhere.

Blood magic is good because it does quite a lot of everything for researching just one school. There's powerful battlemagic (both buffs and attack spells), summons, remote attacks, nasty globals and more. On top of that blood slaves are generally much easier to obtain than large amounts of gems, letting you spam whatever you want pretty easily. In Mictlan's case you have access to rain of toads to extort your neighbors with and Jaguar Fiends to replace your Jaguar Warriors with midgame.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Lilli posted:

I just want to interject here and say that while efficiency is great, there is something to be said for research speed. If you have an early game research goal that you need/want to get to early, its still sometimes worth recruiting inefficient mages that maximize your research per turn instead of efficient ones.

That's more or less the situation I have with LA Ulm. The efficient choice is probably their 180 gold h2e1x1 Black Priests, but that's a whole lot of investment in a bunch of weird crosspaths that aren't going to do much and any battlemagic they might do is way off. They do have one particular ace up their sleeve with their 75 gold s1s and 150 gold s2b1s that don't need a fort or temple to recruit, dramatically reducing the time and initial expense of setting up a place to recruit them (1900 gold and 6 months is a pretty hefty investment for the Black Priests). The capital has 105 gold s1x1s but really only one of the path combos is all that interesting and they compete with the only way I'm going to get a blood economy off the ground.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Goon coalitions make houses of cards look like fortresses.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Kin33 posted:

I'm not sure what Hivers do but if you want to spam undead then LA C'Tis can be pretty fun. Your priests can reanimate undead chariots and your mages can skele spam with the best of them. I'm guessing they got nerfed pretty hard with slow to recruit though(though so did most nations so maybe not). If freespawn is your thing then Pangaea and its hordes of Maenads might be a good nation to try.

Slow to recruit is a huge penalty in LA since not a lot of nations got hit with it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Kin33 posted:

Turns out that using aoe evocations with a blood 9 bless is a bad idea.

This made me laugh way too hard.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Blood 9 bless returns damage taken to whoever dealt it. Apparently this includes arrows and spells. You still take the damage, but the enemy battlemages and the like get hosed.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Maybe in the earlier ages. In LA they're 1100 defense with 1800 supplies.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Can't use it as a save or die because half the time they don't die and kick your rear end for it, can't really use it as a buff because half the time they drop dead. Useless. Bonus points for having larger versions of the same buffs available elsewhere.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

WYA posted:

What is wrong with Barytos?

They have basically everything, so long as they're near the coast.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Except that R'lyeh has high astral and will dispel the poo poo out of it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

And you get far less gold from events.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Death weapons are pretty bad. 2 armor negating damage that only works on living beings and rolls against magic resistance to happen in the first place.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

That would probably be a bit too good. Ryujin were amazing at 500 gold and are pretty much a steal at 355

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 24, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Also note that they have low MR which is super great against R'lyeh who would never do something like use mind blast, soul slay or master enslave your army.

Ruyjin are only 355g now? I remember getting hosed up by a linebacker communion of them due to their built in stormflight. Though linebacker communion may be out now they are still extremely good.

With that low of a cost an amphibious awake SC sounds like a rather good idea as Jomon.

They're slow to recruit but as an added bonus you get 5 turn 800 gold forts underwater as opposed to 6 turn 1k gold on land.

1/4 of them can cast acid rain, another quarter get bone melter, freezing mist for another and the rest can cast maws of the earth and rust mist. And that's not getting into what you can do with the 10% randoms.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 24, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's 4 shrimp per 5 points then 3 shark warriors per 4 after 20.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Well, there's really only one fully underwater nation in LA. Atlantis starts on land and Oceania doesn't exist. Admittedly they're worse at getting into the pool that the other big land with water extras nation: Mictlan.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Jomon doesn't get wyrm and can only get underwater with a dragon king or one of their heroes (or I guess one of their cheap h1?1s with a ring of water breathing and some summoned kappa). Dragon King is pure rear end against surface indies and isn't a fan of tougher underwater ones.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Don't blind expand with a dragon king, it won't end well even with awe.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Even with the buffs online you can get hosed by lances and mass crossbows. He's really not much of a dragon.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Flavahbeast posted:

how does the new resistance interact with stamina damage from spells? if you have 15 resistance and get hit by a 10 damage lightning attack, is the fatigue damage negated as well?

The fatigue part is also elemental and reduced separately. For instance lightning bolt is 12+ 1/level damage to the target followed by 10+ 2/level stun to the square.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 26, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

N Boosters are easy so so really all you need are n2a2 or n1a2 and another source of n2 and n1s1. Pretty sure Jomon can pull that off easy enough.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

No, they're a Hinnom summon. You get 4 of them when you summon a Chayot the proper way or you can get them one at a time.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ashdod and Gath still get the demons, but good luck casting it as Ashdod.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ashodel gets sacred undead centaur archers in their freespawn. Several sacred R'lyeh things have mind blast, some random javelin sacreds, LA Man's Wardens have crossbows, Kailasa's Yavana Archers and EA Agartha's Ancient Stone Hurlers.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 30, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Laughably bad except in such gigantic numbers that they can't help but dicerape someone.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'd cast shatter a few times and call it a day. Or horror mark the poo poo our of it and hope Scabiel does the hard work for me.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

goatface posted:

I just had a guy with Awe 5, Fear 5 & protection 18 die to unbuffed militia, light infantry and archers.

What am I not understanding here?

Low hp and some lucky DRN rolls? Something like 6.5% of all arrows will do at least one point of damage to 18 protection assuming no other mitigating factors, as well as 16.7% of all generic spear attacks that get past the awe.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

All of them.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

2 of the same item almost never stack. The only exception being items that give weapons and armor, which then only stack as far as adding the weapon or armor, not any special properties like resistances or path boosters.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Communions. Holy boosters exist but they're both unique artifacts.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The spectral undead show up in much smaller numbers and are really fragile. Provinces without forts generate nothing but 1 hp dispossessed spirits unless you stick a temple in them to slowly accumulate ghosts, shades and shade beasts at a rate of about 1 per turn.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You get so few of them that you regularly lose half or more of your army during expansion, much less what happens when a determined attacker decides to poo poo all over them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I like line formation for blobs of ranged units because it keeps them all at the same distance and I don't have to worry about half the group not getting to shoot and wandering around.

• Locked thread