Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing
The copper arm is awesome, you can turn your huge chunk of stone pretender into a berserk axe wielding one with it!

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing
You should be careful when choosing an imprisoned pretender in a disciple game, since your disciples will start the game dormant. This might come as a nasty surprise when the game starts :downs:.

I'll join the disciple game if Brainwrinkle approves my account soon enough to sign up!

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing
Speaking of mods, I made a thing.

Skeletons are people too

This turns MA Ermor into a more regular nation, where people and their skeletons work together for a brighter future!
  • Dominion popkill and reanimation is removed, but it spreads death scales around like Niefelheim does cold.
  • Capital starts with 30k pop, death gem income is a static 5D
  • Priests can still reanimate as before, and Ermor keeps their national spells
  • Longdead velites, legionnaires, principes, triarii and horsemen are recruitable from forts, upkeep free
  • Commanders can be recruited too, but they cost upkeep
  • Knights of the unholy sepulchre, arch bishops of eldregate and dusk elders are cap only
  • Summoned commanders do not cost upkeep, even if their recruited counterpart does

I haven't really tested it enough to make any guarantees about it's balance. Anyway Ermor should be a lot less disruptive in multiplayer games than vanilla, in case someone wants to give it a whirl.

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing
Yeah they have a gold cost. They just have the normal gold-free form as a firstshape which they turn into immediately when recruited.

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing
Next patch is going to hit soon (in a few days?), with 2 new nations: MA Nazca and EA/MA/LA Xibalba.

http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/dominions-update-414-coming-soon

Also some event modding stuff for those interested in it.

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing
Looks like Desura is letting me download a 4.14 -thing now.

edit:

Changelog:

quote:

GAME
  • 2 completely new nations: Xibalba (EA, MA & LA) and Nazca (MA)
  • Added some descriptions that were missing
  • Barrier (artifact) cannot be used by mounted units
  • Better enforcement of magic item rules
  • Bouda pretender for EA Machaka was missing
  • Cannot steal mercs blood slaves with 'V'
  • Changes to Erinya's weapons
  • Coastal income bonus info bug fix
  • Could not use magic item rituals while sieging
  • Enforce no orders for undisciplined squads
  • Event update
  • False cheat detection during fort construction fixed
  • File handle leak fixed
  • Graphics for Seraphine/High Seraph prophets were missing
  • Heart Finding effect now an internal damage
  • Horror improvements
  • Icons for Disease Res and Dominion Spreader
  • Improved battle reports for some attacks with temporary monsters
  • Improved magic item info
  • Internal damage (e.g. incinerate, disintegrate) always hits body
  • Kindly Ones conj 9 -> 8
  • Mace dmg 4 -> 5
  • Negative forge bonus did not work
  • Network protocol updated, server & client must be updated at the same time
  • New ability: Poisonous Skin
  • New epithets
  • New mod command: #limitedregen
  • Nonmounted units -2 def / attack, mounted -1 def / attack
  • Onaqui random S -> random F
  • One unit too much from certain send spells
  • Overpopulation improvement
  • Pretender and disciple blesses all units every round
  • Random event monster count bug fix
  • Scrying from sites was broken
  • Some rituals could pass through domes unhindered, fixed
  • Sorcerer pretender for MA Machaka was missing
  • Spell name change: Blood Vengeance -> Damage Reversal
  • Squad size not updated after 'remove unable units'
  • Star of Heroes only strikes one magic armor part at a time
  • Theurg communicants did not work properly
  • Too much info in F1 in certain circumstances
  • Transformation bug fixed
  • Typos and stat fixes
  • Units target random squares in battle more often
  • Updated insanity orders
  • Valkyrie got light lance like other flyers
  • Vengeance of the dead did not ignore orders like other assassinations
  • Wild Hunt conj 9 -> 7
  • Wrong icon for battle menu
  • Wrong range for multiple missile weapons
MODDING
  • #holyboost didn't work properly
  • Event modding added (over 200 new mod commands)
  • Heat-/Coldrec 0 now works for mods
  • Mod #dmg can take higher numbers
  • Mod downloading during game setup could lock up the game
  • Modded nations with nation number > 127 didn't work with network play
  • New mod command: #diseaseres
  • New mod commands: #clear (for weapons and armors), #copyweapon, #copyarmor
  • New mod commands: #raiseonkill, #raiseshape, #prophetshape, #insane
  • Possible to make global ritual and nation effects with event modding
OTHER
  • AI AI war states now reset between games

Culka fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 3, 2014

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing

jBrereton posted:

New guys look pretty promising. Some kind of paralyzation effect on Muuch guys, and a ton of soul-based magic in Thaumaturgy and Blood, plus a lot of Conjuration.

Obligatory god pic:

e: and here's the LA Zotz guys startscout:

Take a screenshot of the Nazcan cap only mage. It's crazy. I would myself, but my laptop has crap resolution and it ruins the image.

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing
Having low dom score would still be pretty dangerous, since it determines the max candles per province. But something like 5 could be doable now I guess.

Or just flood the world with temples.

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing
I noticed my The Best Mod had been broken in the Xibalba patch, so I whipped up a new version:

Doom of Dominions!

Now with authentic sounds! Includes three different versions of the nation, progressing through the ages. EA has only demons, MA has demons and human zombies and LA has cybernetially enhanced demons and zombies. The nations are not too horribly overpowered, as all anti ranged tactics work really well against them. Maybe.

Culka fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 17, 2015

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing
I made a mod about a two decads old game. Again. And to celebrate a certain game coming out in a few weeks!

Introducing friendly aliens from Mars to Dominions:

The aliens are a mostly shooty faction a 'la MA Man, but with some decent melee units too. Their cost per unit is high, both in gold and resources, so that hopefully will balance it out somewhat.

Things of note:

Sectoid and muton leaders do abduction missions when you blood hunt with them, giving a chance to get blood slaves despite them having no blood skill.

Cyberdisks require construction 5 to build, sectopods construction 7. Small launcher is a one handed item at const 4, W1, blaster launcher a two handed item at const 6, F2 E1.

Chryssalids can be used only as a remote attack spell, at blood 5, and they last only for the battle. They are still really really good.

Ethereals enslave as their melee attacks, and can survive pretty well in melee due to their invulnerability. They conquer provinces and get you free units if you recruit more than a few or get a bless. (until you run into someone using magic)

Download:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8210580/xcom.zip

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing

Mu. posted:

Is this all of the goon-made nation mods? ---> SA Nation Mods

You have a really old version of my Doom mod there, the latest is https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8210580/dom4doom2_01.zip

I also made an (old)xcom alien nation mod a few months ago if that counts https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8210580/xcom.zip

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing

Libluini posted:

This reminds me, I've almost finished the second of my three-weird-nations mod "Gemmod".

But just before I was finished I ran into trouble when testing the second nation, MA Akkad: The game crashes and tells me "You must end modding the event before using a #new... or #select command (#newsite "Dead Gate")".

I went through my mod multiple times with the search-function, but as far as I can tell every event ends with #end, like it is supposed to. There are other sites I made like the one causing problems now and they work fine.

This problem may be caused because I wanted to create a site with a spell: I made a global event caused by the site and another event caused by that one. There's also the site of course and a spell meant to create the site when cast.

I used this list of effects to find something allowing me to create a spell to add my site to the province the spell is cast in. According to the list, the numbers 82 and 84 are for province enchantments and I've tried this with both, essentially copying one of my monster summon spells, but instead of summoning a monster using the monster summoning effect, I'm trying to create an enchantment.

How far am I off the mark? Is there a very easy method of adding a self-made magic site with a spell to avoid this mess?

This doesn't address that error, but there's also a slight problem with adding sites from spells. Causing an event by casting a spell doesn't check the event prerequisites but just causes it. So your choices are either to spawn the site and potentially hit the province site cap or create an event chain which checks if there can be more sites. The chain will overwrite any existing event chain though. I solved this by summoning a unit who lives for two turns and whose presence causes an event which checks for site cap and creates the site. It's really clunky though and I hope someone knows a better way.

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing
I made a little script which replaces poptypes and indies on a map (kinda like semiRandom for Dom 3 if anyone remembers it). Think you know how to expand with no losss against all the indies? There may be a surprise or two along the way now...

The downsides of this is that all the units are defined in the .map file, so the host can go full modpud and cheat knowledge of the starting situation.

Anyway, I created a game using the generator Here! Join to see what it's about!

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing

Benly posted:

Next step is to combine it with a nationgen unit creator so that provinces are inhabited by hoburg bear cavalry and Abysian druids.

That's the plan actually! It'll probably be quite hard to balance but lol what's balance in this game anyway.

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing

AfroSquirrel posted:

Are just the indie garrisons replaced, or can you recruit the randomed units too?

Garrisons, recruited units and PD get all changed, too.

Actually, there's no reason not to share this, since I won't be using the default indy setup: https://github.com/culka/randominions4. You'll need python to run the script but no additional libraries are needed.

Indies are generated from files like http://pastebin.com/wv9QMWFQ

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing
I updated my map indy randomizer on the off chance that someone actually uses it. It has actually an interface now and runs from an executable file so no need for any command line python stuff. Included with the package is a indy definition file but it's missing level 3 throne defenders completely.

Just select the map you want to create new indies for, select the included default_MA.json as the indies, select the game settings you want and the tool will generate a .map file and a .dm file. Move the map to your dominions map directory and the .dm to your mod directory. Activate the mod and start the game and voila.

Rare chance means chance for extra defenders in a province which do not affect recruitment options and PD. Coastal, forest, swamp and cave starts are starts necessary for the game to start, for example Asphodel must have a forest as their cap or the game will refuse to start.

32 bit Windows executable
64 bit Windows executable
Source

Culka fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 3, 2016

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing

Atlanton posted:

My experience as Jotunheim in indychaos was trying to expand with vaetti and jotun axemen and getting owned by indies like 3 times. I think I had 8 or 9 provinces well into year 2. My strategy was heavily dependent on getting forests to recruit more vaetti spearmen and mages. Unfortunately, I was next to Asphodel and Xibalba and they had literally all of the nearby forests.

I tried my best to pick up bits and pieces of my neighbors as time went on, but my slow start really hampered my ability to take advantage. TC pushed me out of Asphodel's good poo poo and Ulm took TC's poo poo before I could do anything.

I was able to still get to enchantment/evocation 5 and was summoning my first vampire lord when the game ended; if the thrones weren't broken, I think I could have lasted a good while longer.

My takeaway was to take an awake god as opposed to the dumb bog lich I did take. Also, vaetti don't have frost resistance and get cold in Cold 3.

Were the indies and throne defenders in indychaos any more interesting than usual? I myself started in a rather vanilla area, Jomon bandits led by a demon general were the most interesting thing I ran into iirc.

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing
I updated my indy randomizer tool( https://github.com/culka/randominions4 ), it can now read nation mod files and create independents from them.

There's also a MA game in the private games thread if someone wants to test it out!

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing
? is the best hotkey, it displays all the other hotkeys for the current window.

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing

I'm at a loss, that throne placement makes winning much harder for the nation starting far from then than for the one starting right next to them.

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing

goatface posted:

I think that runs the risk of the map providing too much information.

That is public information if you open the map in the map editor. There are specific tags for large and small provinces; you won't know the exact numbers but can get a general idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing
Good end

That's what happens when you play with cataclysm mode and the horrors destroy all the thrones.

• Locked thread