Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

-Troika- posted:

Isn't late age Lemuria basically Ermor but even better?

It's really debatable. They have the same domkill, but different freespawn and different commander summons. I suppose it depends on who you're fighting if the spectral undead are better than the corporeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Tulip posted:

Is it possible to create an item that is a reverse Air Barrel? Or a global that makes all your aquatic dudes amphibious? Or a spell that converts land provinces into water?

No. We have wanted this for a long time, and it's never existed.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

goodness posted:

I did actually, I just wanted to know if there are any mods specifically useful to a new player and such.

It can be handy to start all your SP games with a 'blank' mod, then you can paste changes into it and they'll take effect. Otherwise, no.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

It also converts gems you don't want into gems you do want, lets you control key artifacts, and is genuinely over-valued by huge numbers of players who think that lategame is still a thing that exists and forget that gemgens also do not.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Pikes, or a mix of 2 pikes to 1 other infantry, are usually best for expanding, now that the repel mechanic works. Recruit the standard infantry for the first few turns, until you have enough smiths that you can recruit 12+ per turn of the black plates.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Order of recruitment. Fortunately, the repeat recruitment button simplifies things greatly compared to Dom3: you only need to click a bunch of dudes in order once.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

There's an Astral version that works on undead and the other sorts that are excluded from regular GoR. Forget what it's called.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Seems like gods no longer make it into the hall of Fame. Which is nice, since it means more commanders will end up with Heroic Abilities.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I saw this in the comments for the RPS review of Dom4, and felt that it was a really nice sentiment that would be appreciated here:

Mike2R posted:

There’s something about the setting of Dominions that I love. There’s a common fantasy trope about living in the after days. You know the one; once upon a time powerful magic ruled the world and things that are unimaginable were common place, but those days are gone now, leaving behind only a few conveniently scattered swords of +5 fire attack or whatever. I’ve always felt a little disappointed that I had to read/watch/play in these after days. Why couldn’t I live in the time of unimaginable power? What was it like? And why did anyone need so many swords of +5 fire attack anyway?

Dominions fills in this blank. As a pretender God vying with others to be the supreme being, the gloves are off. If it takes legions of demons, or withering the entire world, or reaching through the veil to free insane dead gods from their chains to fight for me, or producing magical weapons on an industrial scale to equip my terrible servants, then that’s what it takes. The prize is worth it.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Horror marks (from any source) are permanent and cannot be removed.

A Horror seed (from the B ritual spell of that name) will remain until the infected unit is killed.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Yeti ain't half bad with that chill aura & resist. Solid enough stats, except for def. Would probably do well with a basic armor.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

How are u posted:

So what we see is that we need a whole bunch more summons like Awesome Endgame gave us.

Only if you're dedicated to making the game thug-based again.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Hydras are too slow to mass for expansion anyway. Put a group of 4 adults & 4-5 hatchlings under a Hydra Tamer and pair with a serpent priest. Move slowly up to the front and terrorize your foes.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

With LA Ulm, you want to expand with rangers & a small group of blockers. Versus other players, you want to be a sneaky bastard and put spies in all their forts and alpha-strike with stealth armies.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

MR values are probably the same or similar to what they were for BV in Dom 3, it's just that now you're making 20x as many checks because you're facing so many blessed troops.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Shadow Vestals & Londead Horsemen & Principes are a very effective combination, particularly if you can get yourself good archers somehow. Just inflict more gold-casualties than you receive.

A x9E4 bless on an imprisoned god gives you a powerful expansion and helps the Thaumaturgs do very well in communions - lots of Soul Slay and Nether Darts. Probably F9 statue of War, though I think a W9 gives the Vestals more survivability.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I don't think Scelaria would get much out of B9 on its god, and I think quickness or flaming weapons adds badly-needed killing power to Shadow Vestals.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Yeah, you don't get a lot of admin for the outlay.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Mostly evo, a little thaum for communions and some Conj & Alt for buffs.

Edit: You really need to get to at lease Evo 4, preferably 5 or 6 for your Mystics to really be effective. The EA Cap-only can thug or Tstrike, so I'd be interested in trying or hearing about an Alt-heavy research program to focus on troop buffs. Particularly now that Reverse Communions are gone.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 4, 2013

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Heart companions are a strait-up better Hoplite. Don't build a bless around them, but recruit them preferntially. Better stats, lower upkeep, and blessable.

Wind riders I have no experience it.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Seems to suggest that they keep the same gem income, and the 'Pact' national spells can only be cast in provinces that have The Roots of the Earth, which is a fairly common E site - I often end up with 3 or 4 by midgame if I've been searching thoroughly.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I have hopes that it'll be better than that. That is supposedly the only 'nerf' in a update to buff the whole nation.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

There was a bug that prevented some armloss afflictions from being healed. Should be fixed - patch your game or contact Illwinter.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

The Sharmat posted:

Combine this and the form change suggestion and add it to Atlantis and Agartha for all ages.

Angakok's that after 30+ turns turn into spell-casting Dagons? :getin:

I think you don't quite realize how much older a Dagon is than an Angakok. We're talking hundreds of years, not three.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Slaan posted:

Immortal Great Umbral Hulk pretender chassis. :getin:

Umbrals are not Umber Hulks.

One are creepy spectral Agarthans who are mysteriously tied to the Seal and kick all kinds of rear end.

The other is an irritating giant bug from D&D that causes confusion.

:goonsay:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

AtomikKrab posted:

[19:29] <Sombre> It's like a suped up doom horror

:allears:

Cave patch might be a glorious thing indeed.

Apparently they were Sealed away for a reason? Who knew

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

They're just making smart decisions, Builds. You wouldn't want to fight Niefel Giants or Dracoliches if you were in their position.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I'm somewhat surprised the Mercury Elemental has 0 prot, what with it being made of metal and all.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

TheDemon posted:

They added a one-off event in this patch to adjust Agartha's sites to the new ones in ongoing games.

Of course if you're getting it in a game that wasn't started in last patch it might be something different or a bug.

I know, I just wanted to get a screenshot of the event as a memento.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Honestly, it's best to just go ahead and do as much downloading as your service of choice will let you.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Eh, some boring SC chasses and Utterdark.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Armageddon (or The End of the World)
Death
Chayot
Virgins
Power or Strength
Magic Power
(Some of the pretender chassis have worthwhile abilities)
Unique items & unforgable items

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Massed Chariots or Minotaurs would probably work better, for that reason. But you can't get them as indies.

It's actually really surprising that there are no chariot indies.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I don't know what your current research is, but Helheim has very good A/D magic, and very good forging/sitesearching paths on their svaltarf. Your endgame should be small teams of thugs wearing good equipment. Focus on getting 6 in Alt, Const & Conj.

If you had N on your pretender, you could probably hope to pick up Tartarians. As it is, you're better off with just cloud-trapezing mistformed hangadrotts and flying banes lords.

Either mass huge numbers of cheap troops, or use Wall Shakers & Gate Cleavers to break open the forts.

You can also try to Air Evo your way to victory, but your non-cap mages are very expensive for only A2. Similarly, the D-random Hangadrotts can skelespam, if you need them to.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 19, 2013

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Not Const first, no. But he's asking about endgame. Early game, Alt3 first, then Ench 3 & Evo 2. Then const 4.

Your midgame thugging needs const 4, and you should plan on getting 6 by endgame.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

No, just that one is totally unwishable.

But whenever you wish for a unit, it calls the lowest-numbered one with that unit type. So you'll only get one of the unique demon types. Every time you wish, you get that same demon.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Because who has time to research & empower when you've gone through all the trouble to get Wish?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Is that from a combat replay?

Pretenders don't recalculate their HP instantly after leaving their dominion, it happens later in the turn sequence. This can be abused with teleporting/cloud trapezing/etc pretenders to launch more advantageous attacks, or at least it could in dom3.

I wouldn't really call it abuse, it's working as intended. It only takes building an SC god once to figure out that you keep your bonus HP for the first battle. It is more dangerous since routing and afflictions are calculated from your 'offical' total HP, not the total HP you started the battle with, so your Cyclops will sit there soaking up afflictions when he should have run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Victor Vermis posted:

Given enough arrows, B9N9E4-blessed giants CAN be killed.

RIP 163 dead pygmies =(

This should be in the OP. It's beautiful.

• Locked thread