Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Dwarven Hammers are now a flat 2 gem discount, Hammer of the Forge Lord 4 gems. So still super good for mass producing cheap thug gear, but you no longer need to kill yourself if you can't get them and want to make an expensive item someday. Also like a billion other really cool and good changes. New Demon Lords! New Horrors! Hooray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I would not expect SCs to really be a thing unless you go out of your way to aim a game's settings at them or you start playing with mods. Research across the board is slower, recruiting your good mages is slower, and bootstrapping your way into other paths is much more difficult.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

There aren't a ton of games happening because it's a beta and new patches might/will probably break old saves, but some of us are dumb and impatient so we're going to play one anyway.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

:siren:You can only recruit one hydra per month do not buy game is awful:siren:

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

No, there is not already a nation like that. If you give them super good research maybe they could even stand up to Oceania to make the ocean not such an utterly predictable waste of everyone's time! Well, not really, but we can dream.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Interested, disciple.
Nation preference is 1. Ulm, or 2. Bogarus.
Will work for anyone who promises me dom10.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Generally, you yell at whoever chose a dumb map that let one water nation develop without having to fight for survival until he feels bad and swears never to do it again. Then you stall a while while you research your choice of thug chassis + gear or water breathing items, and take your superior land-based thuggery/air magic underwater to stomp on them in a tedious mm1 slog. At least you can recruit pd down there now, so it should be ever so slightly less awful.

Ideally, there are zero water nations or two water nations sharing seven provinces so they strangle themselves early and don't become relevant to anything before the game ends.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Cattlebops, got it.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

TheDemon posted:

HUGE thanks to Rzal for bringing this nation to life. I'm still working on the descriptions, the national spells, and a version for non-DE. Starting with Surtr as a starting scout is a bit unbalanced in the unmodded game.

Seconding this. Great work! Alas, now I need to find something new to pester TheDemon about.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I have a certain amount of irrational affection for LA Ulm, but 'good' is a bit of a stretch.
edit: I hate admitting it but EA Ulm is probably the way better nation.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Lame answers: give them bows, retreat after blessing, win faster.
Real answer: the ones who can aim will be fine, the rest will stop drawing upkeep costs they don't deserve.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I'm going to laugh and laugh the first time someone wishes for a hammer of the forge lord in Dom 4.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

LordLeckie posted:

Not worth it with the percentage based forge gone with flat number replacing it.

This is the answer. If memory serves, it's 4 gems off each item. So, like, still lovely if you're mass producing frost brands. Less impressive if you're after the astral rings. Would take a long time to pay itself off if you wished for it.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I really like that approach conceptually and now I wish I'd taken more detailed notes during my raiding test.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

A Dai Oni is a mediocre to bad thug for people who are desperate or way too gold rich. What they're good at is battle magic. All of the battle magic. You want fire? Rocks? Banefire? More rocks, that fall out of the sky? Some life drain? Maybe some protection buffs for your oni hordes? A little lightning on the side, even? Dai Oni's got you covered.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

No, but you're playing Sceleria so you probably don't care that much about power or efficiency anyway.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Can anyone suggest to me some good Thugs that might be possible with MA Ulm?

There really aren't any cost efficient options available to you. Troll kings of various flavors and sleepers will work if you feel spendy. If you can make iron angels or golems they're probably your most fun options.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

jBrereton posted:

Asking people to put months into a game where some factions are significantly mechanically better than others, though, just not right.

This is one of those things you just have to make peace with if you want to play Dominions. The game is not and will never be balanced the way something like SC2 is. You'll be much happier if you can appreciate it for what it does well than if you're constantly looking for it to be something it's just not made for.

That said, 1/turn hydras is still loving bullshit and I would stand outside Kristoffer's office with angry signs if I had time to fly to Sweden.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Fleur Bleu posted:

Also iod I would like to see the dom and army graphs if possible!

We can make that happen.

100g temples are very silly:

MA is still the worst A, but in brand new ways:

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Fleur Bleu posted:

You'd have to ask iod for those graphs.

I'll post it if anyone's really interested, but the short version is you were in the lead from ~turn 20 on. C'tis was sticking close to you until R'lyeh hit his cap, then he fell off in a big way. I closed the gap for a while around the time of Vanarus' final death, but my gains slowed after ~five turns of that for reasons I don't even remember. Probably that was when my income was no longer outpacing my upkeep so I couldn't keep recruiting new mages, but I'm not certain on the timeline. There was no point in the game after like turn ten where you weren't decisively in the lead. The only measure you lagged on for a while was gem income (me and Ermor tied for first place until you took my stuff), and you saw how much good that did us.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Neif posted:

But to respond to your initial complaint about Ermor - yes it does feel like there are some definite strengths that almost feel like exploits....on the other hand Ermor has some very real weaknesses too.

Just for the record (for the billionth time), Ermor's never been banned around here because we think it's too powerful. It's just that they seriously distort the game; start next to them and while you might well win the war, you're going to lose the game because you just dumped a ton of resources into taking land that has no value while people who did not start next to them have been conquering land that produces gold.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Just play Sceleria.

That was mean.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

You'll get back into the swing of thing in no times, just remember the teachings of DD. Let him be your light and salvation.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

You're all monsters.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

How many times does team turmoil need to kick everyone's' collective rear end before the "o3 is mandatory" idea dies? Because, I mean, we could totally keep doing it. If that would help.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I think we've had one game organizing type (kenlon?) say they intend to continue allowing all the freespawn nations, but I haven't seen anyone else objecting to bans. It's probably mostly been inertia so far, I'm really surprised it's taken this long for a blanket ban to settle in.

That said, while I am 100% in favor of banning MA Ermor even after the mindless siege bug is fixed, I'm also going to keep making fun of people who whine about Burden of Time constantly.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Death + blood forces you into "expand or die" mode, which is risky.

It's also the only way you'll ever win consistently. I maintain that taking death 3 is a good way for new players to force themselves out of their comfort zone, and for experienced players to win more. Just, you know, don't pair it with misfortune which you shouldn't take anyway.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Pavlov posted:

I could buy that in dom3, but while I haven't played dom4 much yet, it looks to me like it puts a significantly heavier focus on non-gem economy. I don't think taking death and rushing is as viable anymore.

Death and growth change your income slowly. Taking your neighbor's stuff changes your income right now. Whatever you're doing, someone in the game is expanding. If you're not expanding, you're dying no matter what your scales are - it just might not be as immediately obvious without death scales.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I would say we all generally regard item trades as sacrosanct and frown on the abuse of really serious bugs but there have only ever been like two of those as long as we've been playing so it doesn't come up much. We've never really hashed out an official vet rules list because it's never seemed important. Just, you know, don't be a dick. Except for when it's time to be a dick. Uh. Have a well-tuned dickometer? Whatever.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Meinberg posted:

dragons are capable of killing pretty much any indy group

Sup literally everyone else on my team

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

The right way to use hydras is to be playing Dom3; 1/turn recruitment is really bad for them for a variety of reasons.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

My entire plan for the first Dom 4 game I played was spamming Call the Worm that Walks and then I never got the research or gem income to pull it off.

I am not good at plans, but yeah, definitely in the wormfan camp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Corbeau posted:

Considering the limited number of water nations in any given era, that requires a low player count.

A possible example:
[[map]

I think ideally you'd want the map to encourage all water nations to end up bordering all other water nations. Everyone having either one or two neighbors makes it pretty thunderdome-y even with a relatively large player count.

• Locked thread