Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

jBrereton posted:

The change to the B9 bless means that if you want to use Eagle Warriors or Jags, you're basically going to have to use them on their own (because big evo and ranged weapons usage is going to loving obliterate your supporting 'artillery' with BV). Luckily, Jags and EWs are incredibly low-resource units, so you've got 120 points free if that's your tack.

On the bad side, with how difficult it is to crack the first enemy fort now, rushing your enemy with a few dozen Jaguars means they've probably got about a year to call other players up to come and take you out. If they can summon animals, expect an incredibly drawn-out siege.

In EA, you start with a Palisade that has incredibly low defence (and administration), so you really have to keep an eye out for people encroaching on your land. LA, you start with a decent Castle, so it's not quite as much of a problem, but then you're also surrounded by nations with even stronger forts.

If you setup your squads well the collateral from slingers isn't going to be that high, and who cares about a few warriors anyways. You do have to make drat sure you lay off the evos though. Once the melee is joined you can't afford to go blowing all of your mages up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

amuayse posted:

What do you guys think of Imp Familiars? They're 10 blood slave research boosters with a bonus of 3.

Aren't they just 5 slaves? I remember pumping them out with B1 Mictlan Priests.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

amuayse posted:

For EA, don't get lots of Eagle Kings. Recruit primarily Spire Horn archers and mammoths and you can mow through most indies. Have at least 2 mammoths per army. Make sure you put your mammoths off to the side. Have a few spearmen to make sure you aren't completely defenseless if you get bum rushed. Later in the game when it's always stormy, try bring some Tempest Warriors since they can fly in storms. I'd only recommend Yazads if you have a major bless. Iceclad are good, but they're only move 2.
Research primarily Evocation with some Conjurgation and Construction. Getting Evocation to 5 is really important because Storm will become your bread and butter in the later mid game and late game. Orb Lightning and Thunderstrike will be your go to spells at first. Wrathful Skies with Storm kills everything on the battlefield that doesn't have shock resistance, so it goes well with your Tempest Warriors. Shimmering Fields is your final super battle spell but that's all the way at level 9.
Now Alteration or Construction are good schools to go off to since there's good stuff in both. Construction has the boosters like Bag of Winds, Winged Helmet, and Staff of Storms. Alteration lets you summons tons of illusions, and will absolutely wreck any army without MR. Fog Warriors at Alt 7 gives your entire army Mistform, so that's devastating as well. If you're really ballsy, you can bring up globals like Perpetual Storm which makes every province stormy. Fata Morgana also gives you illusion PD and boosts your income and production.
If for some reason you have a Harab and an unused Staff of Storms (unlikely), you can spam Corpse Construct. Basically meaty and shock/cold resistant undead. Not sure how useful they would be though.

Speaking of mammoths (and any elephants really) it is absolutely critical that you get rid of the worthless limping/crippled ones ASAP. If healing isn't available, I like splitting them off and suiciding them into a nasty indie province or forewarned neighbor. They are expensive with high maintenance and it's no good having a bunch of slow ones that are largely useless in combat eating into your budget.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

jBrereton posted:

I can't be the only one who didn't know that Jomon has quite interesting (if not actually that good) anti-R'lyeh underwater troops and basically a flying, sacred, non-StR King of the Deep (but better) tucked under the waves, can I?

Those have been around since dom3 :v:

If Jomon could be guaranteed a coastal province it would be worth building your strategy around them.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

amuayse posted:

I like how in their description it says that the Crabs and Shrimps are literally too stupid too retarded to be affected heavily by insanity.

Also note that they have low MR which is super great against R'lyeh who would never do something like use mind blast, soul slay or master enslave your army.

dis astranagant posted:

That would probably be a bit too good. Ryujin were amazing at 500 gold and are pretty much a steal at 355

Ruyjin are only 355g now? I remember getting hosed up by a linebacker communion of them due to their built in stormflight. Though linebacker communion may be out now they are still extremely good.

With that low of a cost an amphibious awake SC sounds like a rather good idea as Jomon.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

They're slow to recruit but as an added bonus you get 5 turn 800 gold forts underwater as opposed to 6 turn 1k gold on land.

1/4 of them can cast acid rain, another quarter get bone melter, freezing mist for another and the rest can cast maws of the earth and rust mist. And that's not getting into what you can do with the 10% randoms.

So basically you should stick a fort in every single underwater province you can get your hands on and pump those fuckers out as fast as you can. Jomon is just a confused water nation that wandered onto land.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

Don't blind expand with a dragon king, it won't end well even with awe.

Yeah they get murdered pretty easy unless you are careful. Once they have a little research they can do fine but until those buffs come online you can get hosed by undead/lances/massed xbows.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

DrManiac posted:

What magic school has the spells that allow you to attack underwater with your army? I'm in a 1 v 1 against a aquatic nation and I just need to finish them off.

I completely took over the map aside from a small island I can't get to. I need a way to travel over water so I can take out his ocean based Providences.
VVVV

Research some construction.

With W1 you can forge some items which grant water breathing.
With W3 you can forge a Sea King Goblet which grants water breathing 50.

If you have death and conjuration you can summon up some poor amphibians (Bane Lord, Harvester of Sorrows, Wraith Lord etc) and kit them out to easily clear water provinces.

Alternatively you can just spam temples and domkill them.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

Abysia in MA (where they have the good infantry) also have all their mages start old, so once the time spell hits they are all dead. Unless I could transition abysia somehow into a completely demon based mage economy they just aren't viable late game.

Don't even need BoT for that. Warlocks are so old they may as well start diseased.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

NinjaDebugger posted:

This is no longer even remotely true. Gear that used to give 100% shock resist now gives 15, and lightning spells can easily blow through that.

But my thunderstrike will only hit for 20 instead of 35 :negative:

The resist changes greatly help A nations since lightning is AN and can do a shitload of damage per spell.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

NinjaDebugger posted:

Pretty sure it means that trample was causing sound effects at a constant volume regardless of the sound effect setting, nerds.

Working as intended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DkykHSSz20

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

alansmithee posted:

The more I've played (single player, however) the less I'm liking a lot of these changes. No tax adjustment just seems to hammer blood nations-you get less money than previously (due to higher unrest), and you're also slowed by having fewer slaves so conversion to full blood econ takes longer.

Also, I don't know if I'm a fan of the slower research. I think I understand the purpose of making national troops more relevant longer, but I think one of the weaker parts of the game is shuffling largely generic dudes around the map. I think if they wanted more of a focus on troops, more national spells (non-summons) with a focus on buffing would've been better. Of course, there's so many good buffs already so it could easily end up redundant...

Along with that, slow to recruit seems largely arbitrary in it's application. And I'm not a fan of locking you entirely out of the recruitment slot-I'm unsure if it would be possible but if it only locked you out of recruiting other mages I think that would be a good change, and would allow for more national commanders to be used (which outside of some rare niche choices I don't think get bought whenever it's otherwise possible to recruit a mage).

And I really, really wish they would've put in some other diplomacy options. The team options are cool, but just not enough.

All that being said, I'm still trying to absorb all the new changes. There seems to be a bunch of new spells along with old spells changed, The new nations all seem pretty interesting. And as I've been messing around more, there's a lot of stuff with old nations that I'm finding has changed (poor MA C'tis losing leadership from all their troops :( ).

When the game's released, if possible I'd like to hop into a newbie-ish style game. Also, do people still do blitzes at all? I remember getting in some previously, would be nice to organize a 6-player (or more...) blitz game sometime.

I actually had a lot more money to gently caress around with. Before you would zero tax your blood provinces, and now you still get a decent chunk of money to counter the less slaves. The more slaves would be better of course but blood is still good.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

jBrereton posted:

Right, the main, crucial difference between CBM and non-CBM EA R'lyeh is that your Aboleths and all related creatures are purely aquatic in the vanilla game. You need W1A1 to make an Amulet of the Fish just to get the commanders out of the sea, and Giboleth/Gibodai are stuck down there, since afaik there's no underwater equivalent to the Barrel of Air.

Basically, you're extremely resilient under the waves, but overland expansion is a non-starter unless you build your pretender around it (which you definitely have to). That means W1A1, probable high Death magic too for path variegation, and a lot of RPs, to kickstart research up to Construction 4 as soon as possible.

Probably want something like an awake Dom 10 Void Lurker A2W2S6D4 with O3S3C3G1M1M3.

They really do need to add a UW equivalent to Barrel of Air. It's especially needed in EA.

Playing R'lyeh as an UW turtle with an immobile pretender is so boring though. By the time you can get out of the sea someone else has probably already won the game on land.

I remember having a great time with a horrifically expensive asleep AEN Ancient Kraken. Empowered him to W1 when he woke up, had him make a couple amulet of the fishes and then sent him off to be an army devouring cloud trapeze monster. I think I gave him an amulet of anti-magic, snake ring (for when he casts invuln) and the fish amulet. Cloud Trapeze the fucker out of dom 10, cast invuln+personal regen and watch him kill everything.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Khisanth Magus posted:

Early game is extremely fast. Late game, if you make it to late game, can take anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour depending on how big you are, how much ocd you have, and how much of a sperg you are.

Also if you have freespawn or blood your turns will inevitably turn into micro hell because that's how those systems work.

Can't wait to start my first Dom4 multiplayer game. I'm sure my untested theorycraft pretender combined with a middling/weak nation will work perfectly on Lyre and deliver me to victory :haw:.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

You can always just stick a priest in a communion and boost that way. Just have to scrounge up an S priest or some Crystal Matrices.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That was my first thought; I tried running both with and without, it made no difference.

Mine does the same. Just restart the program.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The AI is also good at teaching you how to deal with a ton of small armies trying to raid all over the place, though they are stupid and wait for you to kill them once they get to a fort.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

avoraciopoctules posted:

Sea trolls can be summoned while you're still underwater, and they could help with the initial beachhead.

I'm trying to mod in a national Raven's Feast, does anybody know the effect number for the original spell?

Sea trolls aren't good for much besides being a meat wall. They are pretty terrible really.

Your easiest bet to get out early are some amulet of the fish equipped Pearl Lords screened by chaff. Massed falling frost/Freezing Mist should be able to at least get you onto the beach if you select the proper target.

Later it's all about summons of course. Ether Gate, Hidden in Snow, Elemental Royalty, Golems etc. A pretender with high Astral is practically mandatory anyways and if you put a little death on him you can get Ether Gate going pretty easily. Only Conj 6 and Pelagia can get the pearls for it.

Your endgame is of course wish based.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 18, 2013

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Zauper posted:

Sea trolls are fine vs indies and fantastic in castle defense.

Well if you are just clearing indies, you can just use random shamblers, merfolk or fishmen. I was assuming it was to raid an actual player. Unless you have a scary SC you are basically just clearing indies for your neighbor who will likely take your poo poo immediately since you are pretty much powerless to stop them.

For those summons that require land, you can simply raid onto land against someone who won't immediately throw you off next turn, put down a lab, and summon. You can keep some water breathing stuff handy if you don't think you can hold afterwards and will need to retreat.

Alternatively, it's usually possible to negotiate with a friendly neighbor and buy a land province off of them.

Pelagia is pretty boss underwater and I'd focus on taking the whole ocean for myself before worrying about land.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 18, 2013

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

builds character posted:

I think this is a good way to lose the game as there are never remotely as many water provinces as land (and, consequently, gold, gems and thrones). The 1:1 conversion to pearls make a wish engine workable, but the research for that and throne victory condition make the very long game less likely to succeed, I think.

Well you will probably lose regardless of strategy as Pelagia, but it's at least a thing that could work (on a big map with a big ocean).

Only alternative is an awake SC but that's a terrible one trick pony that might dissuade one neighbor from taking all of your land. Then you pray to the RNG for a site that will give you something beyond SC plus a bunch of indie trash and maybe pearl lords with fish amulets before someone else comes for your stuff.

It's really hard to hold land against a determined opponent as an aquatic nation without midgame spells and summons.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Dirk the Average posted:

Can someone help me see any value whatsoever in the monkey nations (Kalasia, Bandar Log, Patala)? Their recruit anywhere mages are pretty awful at 2S1N with no randoms, their sacreds and good mages are cap only and often slow to recruit, and none of their regular line troops are outstanding (and almost universally have low MR). Sure, you might be able to make a half decent communion from your 2S1N and your 1S mages, but other nations with astral have much better path diversity and will be able to leverage a wider variety of more effective battlemagic off of their communions.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what you actually do with the nation. They don't really appear to have the ability to leverage sacreds well, they need magic diversity pretty badly, and their troops aren't that great, so an awake SC would be incredibly helpful. On top of that, they've got the ability to get great swarms of cheap small archers, except that those archers are undisciplined and they don't have fire magic so they can't cast flaming arrows anyway.

I feel like they'd be pretty good or at least decent if their line mages had any sort of magic diversity at all, really. It's also amusing that their best recruit anywhere priest is an independent priest, which certainly doesn't help their ability to take advantage of sacreds.

EA's cap mages are excellent and not STR. E3 is amazing and you can do some pretty brutal things with massed monkeys with it on top of the normal earth things. Their sacreds are excellent though vulnerable to arrows, with the spear ones being recruit anywhere. The lack of priests hurts, though that's only an early game issue as you can crank out H1 independent priests or communion up to H3 if necessary later.

MA's got tigers, which mow through indies like a chainsaw and make good expansion parties.

LA's sacreds are kind of lovely compared to the other eras and are more resource intensive to boot.

Early and late era practically require an awake SC. MA can handle it with just blessed tigers if desired and you also get recruit anywhere white ones so a full bless strategy can work. I like to throw some fire on my SC if I can afford it, as massed strength buffed monkeys throwing flaming poo poo (I prefer to imagine they are throwing feces when you cast flaming arrows :colbert:) is hilariously effective. Nothing is more satisfying than routing an army of triple blessed jags with Makarta. With even a moderate bless you should be able to build at least a couple of other expansion parties and eke out a decent territory.

Your million little S1 research mages can be leveraged to make soul slay/enslave mind communions all by themselves. All 3 eras cap mages either have S or get S randoms which can be plugged into your communions as well. They aren't the best communion nation, but they are a good one. The unique monkey conjuration spells are also really really good and allow you to break into pretty much everything but death and blood, though fire doesn't come until super late.

How are u posted:

Well back in Dom3 when gem-gens were still a thing that existed and research was quicker you'd be able to clam hard and leverage those truly fantastic sacred summons like Gandharvas and eventually Rudra. Now though with gem gens eliminated and research hugely lengthened I reckon that those spells need to be placed earlier in the Conjuration path and have their prices slashed pretty deeply (seriously, 55 pearls for a Rudra these days??).

Yeah the lack of clam spam does hurt their lategame potential and it's not nearly as easy to go spamming the poo poo out of Rudras.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 18, 2013

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

TheDemon posted:

I'll also laugh if someone wishes for The Chalice because it no longer heals afflictions of undead.

Is there anything besides GoH to heal Tarts or is it just going to be GoH or nothing? Because if it is I'd expect very long games to eventually end up with something ridiculous like a 999 gem GoH cast.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Dirk the Average posted:

It also helps that their reduced MR isn't as big a deal when you consider that most of the really powerful late game spells that decimate armies through MR-negates stuff come too late to be all that important.

Monkeys die to basically everything anyways and when late game rolls around with terrifying poo poo like tartarians and master enslave, your monkeys aren't much worse than any other unit as a chaff wall. Any potential foe would get a lot of makarta with a cast though. Lucky them! :haw:

amuayse posted:

It seems nearly impossible to get to level 9 anything in research, but on the other hand it's easier to spread out research. So would there be any good replacements for Tarts?

Nothing is on par with tarts, which is why everyone goes for them. It takes loving forever to build a tart factory though and there are even more SC killing spells than there were in 3. Resist changes also make it a lot harder to turn them into tri-immune avatars of death.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 18, 2013

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

LordSloth posted:

What can you tell me about this 'reincarnation' I see on Patala's monkey mage/priests, and the 'hypnotize' on their nagas, commander and line troops?

I haven't looked at hypnotize, but reincarnation does exactly what it says. If they die they have a chance to come back as another monkey. Sometimes they come back as the same type, sometimes something different, and sometimes they go to be one with the force and give you a candle. Not sure if being in friendly dom affects the chance or not.

It doesn't seem to fire in battle but the effect is noticeable during something like burden of time.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 18, 2013

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Asehujiko posted:

After playing the Seleucids in RTW2 a bunch i'm on an elephant binge. Are Behemoths worth using or am I better off by summoning Banes with my death gems?

Depends what you need.

Behemoths can be situationally useful if you require a big trampler with fear, particularly with buffs like body ethereal. Banes and Bane Lords can always make decent thugs if you need them.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Basically, you want roughly two blood hunters (your cheapest B mage equipped with a Sanguine Dowsing Rod [const4]) per province and some scouts or something to ferry the slaves back to a lab. It's the happy middle ground between too many hunters which makes hunting impossible and too few. Unrest should stabilize at ~130 assuming O3.

Any province with more than 5k population will still grant the max blood income with smaller ones granting proportionally less slaves.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Speleothing posted:

Yeti ain't half bad with that chill aura & resist. Solid enough stats, except for def. Would probably do well with a basic armor.

Their rock throwing ability has like 30 ammo too so they can do that forever. Was messing around with them in a test game and they make a superb wall if you drop that aoe liquid body spell on them.

EDIT: Their combat stats are garbage though and GoR would be a waste imo. That's be like GoRing a Sea Troll.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 28, 2013

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

jBrereton posted:

I'd broadly agree, but at the moment, taking D3/4 on a pretender is very tempting to get hold of Bane Lords and Spectres, given they're better summons than almost everything else available early on in terms of cheap, effective thugging and opening up other paths.

Does anything else really compare to spectral mages in that regard? Just needs D3 and opens up 3 other paths along with the ability to forge shadow brands/duskdaggers.

Vanilla fire has always felt the weakest to me or maybe I'm just bad. What should I be sinking fire gems into besides raging hearts, some battle magic, and maybe a little forging? I tend to just dump them into lanterns or turn them into pearls.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

amuayse posted:

Looks like we're looking forward to 3 new pretenders for Agartha.

Just watch. 3 new chassis, highest atk stat between them will be 9.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Pillar of Fire is really good (like thunderstrike but burny). Only problem is it's evo loving 8.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

jBrereton posted:

loving capital forts, worst Dom 4 feature. Glad I'm only playing an MA game. LA, where nearly everything is strength 10/11 against 1100 defence forts? Eugh.

Pillage it to uselessness and move on until it's the last thing left.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

jBrereton posted:

You can't. The two commands normal commanders have in a fort province are Maintain Siege and Move.

I am bad at videogames :downs:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

amuayse posted:

Since default site rarity is relatively lower in Dom4 compared to Dom3, will more of our games have them set to higher settings?

Is it really? I don't notice any shortage compared with 3 and typically find at least one of the unique mage sites in every EA game.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Flavahbeast posted:

I've tried it, I wasn't impressed

So what you are saying is it's a thematic Agartha bless.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

amuayse posted:

If you have Con4 and N5, you can make the Miraculous Cure-All Elixir. Costs 30 N gems though, but it won't be used up.

I thought that just had disease healer 1 or is it actually just healer 1?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

It'd be fun if they actually claimed thrones and had a siege bonus for cracking forts.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

HottiePippen posted:

Another option is that trampling doesn't trigger blood vengeance. You can grab a few elephants/earth elementals/minotaurs and smash everything up. That's probably even better, since they can't shoot at your elephants without firing into their own BV, which causes double friendly fire.

Jags vs elephants is no contest. Good defense and secondshape will gently caress your tramplers up. Might work against flagellants if they don't have enough; if they do, you are dealing with a pile of 10g human sized guys with flails and +4 strength and they will cut your poo poo to ribbons once your tramplers get into the melee.

Add in the likely fire bless and it gets worse.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 18, 2013

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

builds character posted:

Just use shortbows! They're as cheap as flags and no sacred limit.

Yeah do this. B9 is +4 str on top of the BV and the things you would expect to see BV on (Jaguars and Flagellants) fit 3 a square and have big weapons and or mulitattack. A surrounded trample pretender isn't going to survive.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

jBrereton posted:

1) F/D9B9 Jags or W9B9 Palankasha type units, where they will straight up destroy whatever you put in front of them unless you can kill them or the thing leading them on the way in. Esp. true in the case of Jaguars; Chaos Power has still hosed Lanka maybe forever because it ruins their expansion.

Their monkey sacred, which is very similar to the Palankasha, does not have chaos power to gently caress them over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Squalid posted:

So I just tried my first experiment with blood communions, and it resulted in everyone dying without accomplishing anything. I had two masters and four slaves, but neither master received any path boosts. What went wrong? One of the slaves cast blood slave a turn later than everyone else, could that have effected things?

You forgot to cast reinvigoration with a master after building the communion. Blood spells create a fuckton of fatigue and even setting up the communion is going to knock out your B1 slaves. A single cast of reinvigoration will wipe out fatigue on every slave after the setup due to how communions work (all spells with target:caster also affect all the slaves). Just figure out about how much fatigue generation you expect per turn after that and script reinvigorates appropriately and you should be fine.

You will get +n path boosts per 2^n number of slaves. And yes having that slave wait a turn meant that on the first round there were only 3 slaves which grants a grand total of +1 temporary paths.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 19, 2013

• Locked thread