Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Yeah they were just pretender chassis that didnt fit well at all with Agartha, only one i remember was father of winters which is ok i guess because of full slots but was otherwise underwhelming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Im not sure what drives the gods, i summoned them in an SP game and 2 of them just sat on the throne of splendour for ages not moving at all, then one of them disappeered somewhere else and the other sat on the throne eating whatever i threw at it so i have no idea how really active they are. I put up the eyes of god and even then i could see much activity.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

Do they have a bunch of insanity/shattered soul? If so they're probably just wasting a bunch of turns doing little to nothing.

No i havent seen shattered soul on them or insanity either, some have had afflictions but that may have come from fighting various indies im willing to bet the ones i encountered got dementia/disease from the level 3 throne they fought or perhaps had the afflictions carry over from their tartarian form.

Either way we probably need a tiny bit more testing.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Yeah that was my thinking i mean they are gods after all so it would make sense for them to go for the thrones.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

The Lord of Hats posted:

Have scout prophets fallen out of favor? It seems like most people in ok game picked their starting commander as their prophet.

Scouting information is very valuable and with the removal of patrol and overtax theres nothing for your starter commander to do otherwise, prophetising the commander gets you a potentially better chassis for the H3 in terms of survivability and lets you use that initial scout to get a more exact picture of your cap circle indie strength as well as scout out your neighbours quicker and so on.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
I just noticed in TestPantheon that Abysia has gone AI, turns take absolutely forever to happen and ive run out of things to actually do, all thats left is script a doomstack of mages for Ulms demon/undead stack eventual assault on my cap. I feel like we should just call this one and declare team Ctis/Utgard/Bogarus as the victors.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

Oh, I haven't played the last 3 turns and probably didn't get around to scripting monthly casts at the lab I built in front of your capital. Game's dead, put it out of its misery already.

Yeah im gonna ask around and then get it taken down. GG.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

nomadotto posted:

I'm still taking turns, but there's no way I'm going to win this one, so I'm happy to admit defeat.

It doesnt help that the interface for the game is broken, it doesnt appear in my active games and it doesnt show if ive taken my turn or not, i noticed the timer had gone back to full not long ago checked in and i apparently had staled a turn without even noticing so yeah all we need now is Pan, Bogarus/Ctis/Utgard/Midgard to agree and we're good to take it down.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Im just going to reiterate that MA Ermor is 100% unfun to fight against and should still retain its instaban status that it had as LA Ermor in Dom3. This is especially true with the fact you can now beef up fort defence to stupid high levels.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Neif posted:

Vanheim, got hit really hard by my dominion early on due to the cultist random event x 2 early on which gave me a heap of Serpent cataphract commanders and cultists as well as instant 10 dominion in that particular province. We had an early NAP that he turned his back on....but he was never really able to expand very well and his small amounts of sacreds that he was able to muster were invariably trampled over by the masses of dead. I noticed last turn he's gone AI...not surprising with a powerful Vanarus on one flank, a powerful Marignon on the north, Atlantis with an ocean to itself to the south and useless wastelands to the west.

But to respond to your initial complaint about Ermor - yes it does feel like there are some definite strengths that almost feel like exploits....on the other hand Ermor has some very real weaknesses too.

A WHAT EVENT? TEN loving DOMINION? JUST LIKE THAT? My god id throw every gem i had at you within a turn if id gotten a single event like that. But yes playing against ermor wasnt fun at all, i had to throw every nature gem i had into supply items and even then it wasnt enough let alone to try siege down a loving fort with 600 defence and countless undead inside. On top of that i was reliant on my spiders to attack you, i could have made pygmys for siege fodder but the thought of arrows even flaming arrows vs a ton of tower shields wasnt too attactrive. But yes i saw the "The enemys fort in wolvenmory is unharmed" far too many times, not a single turn passed where i made any progress on one single loving fort which is incredibly frustrating after i did my best to take as much land off you as possible. And now even with burden of time dispelled im completely hosed, 90% of my units now have old age and my cap only black sorcerors are now all diseased and dying. In short i have no land worth taking, no forts or land worth forting up at all leaving my research very poor and as such i dont really have many great ways to use my gems.

Ill agree that Ermor has very real weaknesses and they are far from an autowin but they are still this: A problem for all their starting neighbours, they cause irreperable harm to everyone that is bordering them and make them easy prey, i have an AI Pythium to my south that has started butting its head against me at random while Vanarus slowly eats it up without contest so i have gone AI myself in disgust at the whole goddam situation as i legitimately have nothing to do during my turns at all as there is now no use for my diseased dying armies and mages and they cannot make even a tiny dent in your defences.

Burnsaber posted:

There is a bug in the current version where mindless units do not get their siege defense penalty. This probably makes ermor a pain in the butt.

It makes forts completely unsiegeable i dont think any of us has even come close to breaking down a single fort even Marignon with over 400 units on ermors capital reported very little progress.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Oh yeah im not angry at you for anything you did everything made perfect strategic sense and were good moves and you can hardly be blamed for something that is Illwinters fault, its just in the end the mechanics of ermor nigh guarantee a severe disadvantage to ermors neighbours even if you take them out early just by making a small patch of the world useless gold wise and extremely hard to put PD in.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Log082 posted:

AS Mari in this game, yes, BoT hosed me hard. As has limited access to supply items.

Not being able to siege down the forts is the worst problem, though. My plan was pretty much hit fast and hard with lots of flaming crossbows and pikemen. Things didn't work out as planned when it turned out that my entire 500+ army couldn't siege down a fort with 300 and change undead...

And C'Tis should have done well, but from what I could tell on my end got hit and run over early before they could spam H3s.

Yeah it really cannot be emphasized enough at how loving bad the fort sieging is, they are 100% uncrackable there is NOTHING you can do about it and slowly domkilling a nation known for taking Dom 9/10 awake pretenders in 100% of builds is not going to happen in any reasonable period of time.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

jBrereton posted:

I'm having a remarkably similar experience against Pan, with the only difference being that their provinces are worth something.

Death to freespawn.

Yeah free spawn nations with the new fort values are just stupid, in Dom3 the only nation that had that level of fort defence was Caelum for its capital and maybe 2-3 other nations and i think if you even had the chance to make a Mountain Citadel elsewhere they cost an extremely large amount of gold.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Decrepus posted:

None, get rid of the fuckers and start over with a fire summon that doesn't fly, or have AoE3, or 25 strength with 3 attacks, or 150HP.

Dont forget 3 lives to boot.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Log082 posted:

I don't know your SA name, whoever had Machaka in Viola, but Ermor did indeed put up BoT again this turn as I received your message. Good call!

Im a genius! But yeah that happens way too often and im glad i tapped out when i did the game is more or less ruined now.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

The Sharmat posted:

It's kind of a shame Ermor ruins the multiplayer game for people like that, because the concept of undead Rome is just awesome.

Yeah as soon as i began to fight ermor the game just turned to absolute poo poo, grand coalitions against a shared threat are always cool and fun to be in but when you can take every single non forted province of a player and have them come back seemingly unharmed and you significantly weakened theres no point to even playing any more.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
The first few iterations of Dom4 mods are going to be fun as we all blindly grope about to find whats absolutely useless and whats obscenely overpowered.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Yeah you dont need to approach every game like a starcraft tournament match, play around do something cool if it doesnt work well then that doesnt matter and you probably learn something about the nuances of the game anyway. It took me i think about 4-5 games before i won my first dom3 MP match and it was with a supremely inefficient and horrible pretender design.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

sullat posted:

And if someone does attack you, fight bitterly to the death. Expend all your resources trying to harm your attackers. If you can hurt them enough, perhaps someone else will be able tp destroy them.

This is also very important.

Daeren the diplo is one of the most fun parts of the game and isnt stupidly complex or formal or anything like that it can be as simple as asking a neighbour on IRC if they want to trade you an item or gems etc. And yes there is the new disciples mode where you can take shelter within your team mates protection and support.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

jBrereton posted:

I played Dominions 3 SP for literally years. It's alright if you want to learn your way around all of the factions.

Then when Dom 4 came, I felt more at ease with going MP (which is only slightly a PITA to set up, but the main thing is that it's typically a submit-a-turn-a-day type affair rather than being faster pace), and hey, that's a thing I'm doing.

It has a fairly bad UI, but it's not like a super groggy game with innumerable default Windows menus of poo poo.

Games can still go pretty quick, in flute for example when it turned last every single person bar 1 had their turn in within the hour.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Diabl0658 posted:

All hail the new overlords of the world, MA Pagartha.

Flute is the most amazing game.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
http://dom4editor.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/inspector/index.html

In case anyone didnt know the Dom4 Mod Inspector is up.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Neruz posted:

I'm told Earthquake works well against the undead hordes of Ermor too.

Works against most things, i just had my last stand in a desura game where i cast earthquake twice and won the battle because of it.

With only my god left im going to cross my fingers for another wipe with it.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

Why did you use your whole army with the earthquakes? I can't really say I'd call that winning. Good job throwing away 15 mages, including a hero and 2 frighteningly expensive cap only STR ones to kill half a chaff blob and 5 mages, mostly cheap researchers.

"Last stand" as in i was at my cap and under siege for the past 5-6 turns.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Well if i actually knew about the new retreat rules that would have been very handy but here we are.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

-Troika- posted:

How should I counter Ulm's heavy metal legions as LA Atlantis? I'm considering Numbness spam to hold them in place while my troops chop them to bits.

The part that kinda stings is that he has archers and I currently don't even have access to indie archers :(

Ah i just had this fun position myself, only within the opening 6-7 turns so i more or less couldnt do anything.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Any word on how the awesome mod suite or CBM are going in terms of gettin on to dom 4? Mainly interested in the pretender overhauls/additions to hopefully see more variety in them in the future.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Yeah disciples games are a lot of fun i just wish mine would stop getting completely hosed over in various ways.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Your lobo guard are pretty much the best chaff in the game for acting as blockers for your rearguard mages and mindblasters. Illithids can lock down big powerful targets by spamming them with mindblast to keep them paralyzed so your troops can get at them. I think people are also fond of using their crab hybrids but i havent played with them in Dom4 yet. Pretender wise you could go for some good scales to complement your gold hungry and resource cheap troops so sloth can work well, tank your temp scales because they dont matter underwater so its free points there. I have no idea how luck would work underwater i imagine there wouldnt be as many events so going luck probably wont get you much. Otherwise you can go for a simple supercombatant or perhaps an early researcher to give you any magic diversity you feel you need but once again underwater so a ton of spells wont ever actually come into play. This is my awful advice.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Diabl0658 posted:

Also, demons gain more years from blood magic, and lifeless beings gain more years from earth magic.

Ahahaha this game, thats pretty cool.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
While Rlyehs earth magic is unreliable if you need blockers in the mid or later game you could use enliven statues in enchanment to get something tankier than a loboguard.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Is enlarge really that great, i mean yes you have extra HP to regen but the extra fatigue + more attacks vs you doesnt seem that great

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Speleothing posted:

Agartha was kind of like a yo-yo*, would get beaten back to just his forts, then reemerge with a gigantic pile of summons and mindblasters out of nowhere. 1% was really able to bankroll their frontline nations with Bery's ridiculous income multiplier. Also, Rephaite warriors kicked absolutely stupid amounts of rear end - particularly when Hinnom finally started to use them in combined arms.

Marverni was getting rolled before I even joined.

*Also, Agartha is totally suited for a megabless if someone else is paying for it.

Edit: Also, I played Helheim and totally kicked Vanheim's rear end across the map. Get it strait :colbert:

Poor Marveni had it rough really, it was literally the perfect terrain for fomoria to work in with that peninsula, thanks to sailing and my dragon i was able to weave and dodge around the coast non stop never touching him while slowly building up. I imagine at any point i could have wiped out his army with relatively few losses but i was more interested in being as gold and gem efficient as possible so i could continue to feed gems and gold to TNN and Niefel who needed it more than me. One thing i will criticise however was Marvenis insistence on using their basic troops compared to their berserkers which would have given pause to me.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
The economics of a game like that throw things out of whack very quickly too even if we didnt have the 75% site occurence rate, for example if you look in the team document i put out a call for death gems as fomoria and im given One Hundred of them in a single turn which i then used to start pumping out barghest to eat Marveni because Barghest were actually fantastic units to go with our bless and if the game had continued yomi would have had to content with Barghest under darkness with Darkpower Three. The ability for one team member to shoot up various schools of research to complement one another helps a lot too, in that you see our team go for both Mother Oak and Gift of Health while i raced up construction for winged shoes, fear helmets and amulet of the fish on top of conjuration for my own summons and then alteration to both buff my own armies to blender levels of pixelman destroying as well as potentially give me some buffs if i wanted to gear out a Fomorian king if they got heroic endurance or some such.

e: Here are some screenshots i took in game so people can get a sense of scale.

The in game map at around turn 26 i think?

You get a LOT of messages from your own scouting reports as well as your allies battles, this was early into the attack by the 1% on us, there's about another page and a half of messages of battles too that i cant get in one screenshot.

A Close up of the map where i was fighting Yomi and Marveni, as you can see the terrain is fantastic for armies lead by sailing fomorian kings, they gave me the ability to get large amounts of units from my capital into marveni for both defensive movement traps and reinforcements very easily while the water kept him at bay. Sailing 2 was what allowed me to perform so well down here because i could be more or less anywhere and easily retreat out of bad situations.

Why im the best at naming things.

LordLeckie fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jan 29, 2014

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

JerryLee posted:

I won't say that I played very well in that game, because I clearly didn't, even given your early-game and map-related superiority. I more or less joined the last available team by default because I wanted to play in the big game, so I ended up with a nation and strategy that I'm really quite mediocre with (even moreso than I am in general, I mean). Also, I don't think it's wrong to say that Team Scales probably had the worst "gimmick" by far of any team in the game, mostly because a bless (which basically all three of the other teams ended up taking in one form or another?) is such an insane amount of value in a disciples game.

Yeah that sucks and this game showed that you could do quite well with just order 3, i mean i note in the document that your teams scales are actually great for me because growth 3 meant that my army of Barghest i had just shipped in went from starving to death to perfectly fed instantly. Not to mention i got lucky and that group of sages next to my capital were in enemy dominion with magic 1 instead of my teams drain scales.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Yeah you dont want to see the results of 4-5 people getting non stop freespawn and driving everything in their dominion insane.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Id probably say Falling Fires, Fire Elemental Summons, Flaming Arrows, Phoenix Pyre, and then maybe Incinerate? Thats without considering phoenix power however.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

TheresNoThyme posted:

For Abysia in particular it's more like

1. Firestorm
2. Firestorm
3. Firestorm
4. Firestorm
5. Firestorm

Ill also accept this answer. Also possibly replace #4 with heat from hell or second sun.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
The thing about asphodel is that you NEED forests if you dont have a forest nearby then the game has declared that you get to eat poo poo in the early game and anyone fighting against you gets easy mode because all you get are fairly small numbers of mandragora and manikin humans so no minotaurs, sacred centaur vinebow archers, undead fear causing elephants or fast moving reanimated horses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
I know Maerlande did a tiny introductory video a bit back, you could ask around for twitch archives of streamed blitz games but otherwise im not sure sorry.

• Locked thread