Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I haven't been keeping myself very up to date on what has been going on in dom4, but just want to confirm: the official (non-beta) release date is still the 28th, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Looks like the official release date has been pushed another week, to the 5th.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Asehujiko posted:

How involved are these newbie games time-wise? Is it better to just pick one or can I enter both for double learning experience?

Early game is extremely fast. Late game, if you make it to late game, can take anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour depending on how big you are, how much ocd you have, and how much of a sperg you are.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

NinjaDebugger posted:

This may not actually be true anymore. I'm pretty sure I saw at least one nonunique holy booster in the item list when I was doing a test run as Ulm.

According to the manual the only holy boosters are artifacts.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
It was pointed out by a complainer with :effort: problems on IRC that I hadn't posted a link to the LP thread in here, so here it is:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3574174

More content will be posted as soon as my players manage to get enough turns in for me to post something!

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

DarkAvenger211 posted:

For anyone who's played MA Ulm, in general what's a good stock infantry to use? Right now I'm mostly just grabbing the chainmail battleaxe guys. Is the full plate just inherently better (and cost more resources)? How are the shield troops, I imagine it makes them ungodly tough, but they don't have as much killing power. How much does taking the shields effect their attack power? It seems their damage is already pretty high, and the battle axes are mostly overkill.

Does anyone with more experience in this have any tips?

Use guys in black plate. You should have taken max prod scales and your priest smiths will provide even more resources.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Flavahbeast posted:

yeah, some super old units, like vastnesses, become nearly useless due to huge old age penalties (turning a vastness into a humanoid mummy is a silly idea to begin with)

Collect all its balls and wrap them in cloth in a vague humanoid shape. Why does that not make sense?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
My army of androphag archers and the 50 PD(which were mostly archers) on my capital in Dulcimer were pretty awesome...until MightyPeon invaded me with Mist and Storm, causing most of my missiles to not get fired, and those that did get fired were fired at ~3 precision.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Microcline posted:

I can't seem to log into Lyre. Do I need to update to sync with the server or is proactiveapathy just down again?

Someone probably submitted a turn with the new version before tenjou could update the server. Once he updates her should bring any crashed games back online.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Instantly reminds me if the crab things at the bottom of the new new York highway on episode 2 or 3 of season 3 of the new Dr who.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

LordNagash posted:

You know the one thing I still wonder why this game is missing?

Why isn't there a giant shark pretender for underwater nations?!

Also no giant spider for machaka.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Not My Leg posted:

Why attack a neighboring province on retreat orders instead of just sneaking? Honest question, I'm a rank newbie and have no idea what difference this makes or why one is better than the other.

Probably more accurate Intel. Regular scouting information can leave out some big details. You can run into surprise elephants, surprise undead cavalry, and surprise mages who will slaughter your troops. If you attack you see exactly what that province has.

I believe scouting information only shows the 3 most populous troops there. The thing is, if there are 10 militia, 10 light infantry, 10 archers, and 9 elephants it won't mention the elephants in the scouting report, but they will gently caress up your starting army and whatever you recruit on turn 1.

Khisanth Magus fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 20, 2013

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Decrepus posted:

Do I need to sign up a seperate Brainwrinkle account if I only used the old (matryx?) one before? I can't log in and it isn't sending a password but want to make sure. I haven't played MP in a long time.

Yes, if you only ever used matryx then you need to make a new ggs account.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
We had some CBM games, but I don't think it was ever about the balance part of it. It was about the EDM part of it which added new endgame options that didn't consist of clamming and tart factories. Which is why the Awesome Suite was more popular, as it had that without CBM's wide baseball bat swing balance attempts.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

The Sharmat posted:

I didn't play much CBM, but I could swear I remember Awesome Gods and Awesome Endgame or whatever being more popular than Vanilla in goon games.

The Awesome suite was the most popular combination for goon games I think. Forbidden Friendship was popular for a while, as it was a combination of CBM with some of the stupider stuff fixed as well as stuff from the awesome suite added in.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Decrepus posted:

Is this game ever going to go on Steam and give us Steam keys? I want to buy a copy for a friend and guilt-trip him into playing but if won't make it to Steam I know it will never be installed.

In theory yes, but I think the guys at Illwinter got annoyed at Valve over the annoyances of getting dom3 up on steam when other devs have a much easier time. So no real ETA as last I heard.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

jBrereton posted:

Yeah but there was nothing stopping them taking up the full day, no?

If you repeatedly wait until the timer is almost up people start to get really annoyed at you, and often will make an effort to take you out first to speed the game up.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I'm in the middle of writing up turn 10, it's just that after I told Lilli I would take it back over I got very little sleep for most of the week. It isn't dead, just slowed down a bit until I catch back up on sleep.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
It didn't help that the one day that I was rested I had technical problems getting the screenshots taken. Hopefully turn 10 will get finished and go up tonight.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I've already said, and am sticking with, that I am refusing to play in any game that MA Ermor is being played in. They make the game unfun even without the siege bug, but with it they make the game just a waste of time.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

TheDemon posted:

Yeah, I can completely understand banning Ermor because of metagame-warping and "troll" potential as you put it. For Ermor in particular a BoT rush just stacks on the normal Ermor metagame issues. But that said, a 20-turn BoT rush, often sooner, is possible on basically every nation with 3D+ cap income. With any nation, the rusher is making winning the game themselves impossibly difficult. My point is while these kinds of things are stupid and is another point in favor of Ban Ermor, let's not mistake what's happening here for powerful or game-winning.

The difference is that any other nation is killable. If ermor sticks all their freespawn in their capital you will never be able to siege it down while your army starves to death outside.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Falling frost spam? I'd imagine that would ruin their day at least.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Riftling posted:

I'll try it with 3 Prod, my runs only let me recruit 2 Men at Arms on the first turn, so I definitely didn't have that.

I was toying around with the idea of D9B9 blessed flaggalants since they're cheap and easy to produce. Even with an expected death count over 70% in a big battle, the flaggs can really mess up enemy mages with B9 bless and costly melee units with death weapons from D9 bless. Undying also synergizes with Blood Vengeance and doubles the effective HP of the flaggs. I'd imagine most fights will end up costing the enemy nation a lot more than Marignon, even if it's a lost fight. In MP this would be a neat deterrent, since nobody wants to risk fighting a horde of guys with a D9B9 bless - even if they win, it'll come at a pretty high cost.

This is all newbie theorycrafting, though, so feel free to shoot holes in it. :v:

The main problem with relying on the B9 bless to protect your flags from evo is that there are ways around it if your opponents have the right paths. Mirror image and/or Antimagic will totally ruin your day.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Turin Turambar posted:

Nice Therodos slight rework, I think it was needed. Because in addition of a few buffs, there are other nerfs (Dancers size, philosopher oost, korybantes recruit, less sacred freespawn). And I like there will be a more marked difference between popkill/undead strategies and delaying popkill/alive units strategies (Therodos spectres increased/decreased with death/growth).
I wonder if the slave change affects to every slave unit, from UW slaves in Ryleh to mictlan slaves.

Would be nice, my upkeep as r'lyeh is getting rather unwieldy so halving the upkeep on my slave units would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Mukip posted:

I almost forgot to mention that one other player made a vain if spirited attempt at thwarting my ambitions: R'lyeh, of all people, who had been quietly chilling in his pond for the entire game to the best of my knowledge. He sent hordes of madmen to assault several of my throne provinces after Ashdod had been warning everybody in IRC, presenting the only final turn threat-but-not-really:

I managed my research and economy a bit poorly; I pumped ridiculous amounts of gold into PD all across my empire out of paranoid fear of elves, thugs, or worse. I also sacrificed lots of turns of mage recruitment to pay for other things so my research could have been a lot higher.

Yeah, Imprint Soul really isn't great for 25 pearls, but i didn't have many other options. 1 more turn and I would have had Divine Word and could have made my vastnesses start raiding people!

Oh, and it wasn't all mad men, there were some flaggelants in the group too.

• Locked thread