Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Automatic recurring recruitment is 100% worth the cost alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a spell that lets unmoveable pretenders search for magic sites? That's more or less why I've always been hesitant to play one.

Edit: I somehow managed to miss all of them but the one for Arcane sites for the last 7 years.

Pomp fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 3, 2013

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How can I play Caelum without getting completely exploded? I like to run them with Virtue, but I feel like winning a big battle is a crap shoot if I get forced into that situation.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Caelum advice made the mid-game a lot easier, thanks! Is there any reason not to go for Blood Magic if you fine a province with a slave market? It seems like a free empowerment for a mage of your choice, and then a sanguine rod would get the ball rolling there wouldn't it?

Pomp fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 25, 2013

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AfroSquirrel posted:

"GAME Horror seed produced a sprite instead of a horror"

Well, that still would have been better than it was in Dom3!

What did it do in dom3? It never seemed to do anything worthwhile when I tried it.

edit: "Note: This spell is currently bugged and the only effect is that a horror will emerge when the effected unit dies."

Whelp.

Pomp fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 26, 2013

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Demiurge4 posted:

Hmm, Caelum archers with a Virtue SC?
My time has come :getin:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
RE: Xcom mod

They'd definitely be a blood/arcane, possibly with some earth magic in order to facilitate primitive Cyberdisks(Mechanodisks?) and Sectopods. An ethereal pretender in the vein of the cheap mage human pretenders would be a nice touch, I think. Maybe a little lore touch about how they're sacrificing humans to fuel their war effort, instead of to the gods or something.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a point to taking a magic path to 10? It took me this long to just notice it was doable.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
1)Pretender, or sacred 3.

3)Manual

4)A 9/10 Dominion score gives youR pretender 1/3 points of awe. According to the wiki, a pretender without inherent awe has a -1, so this comes out to 0/2 for most pretenders. Someone try a 10 dom Virtue build for me please.

Pomp fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Oct 9, 2013

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That's up to Valve or Greenlight, but I'm pretty sure you'll be able to use a Desura key on Steam if/when it happens.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Well, I thought I had that battle in hand, then lost half my army in exchange for 19 units. Turns out I have no idea what to do about elephants! I'm Ermor, so I don't have archers to fall back on. Should I just set everyone to fire at large monsters and let their army come to me?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
EA, hesitant to talk about research where other players in the game can see it :ninja:

That's super helpful though, thanks!

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ermor: Dead and Loving It

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Edit:wrong thread

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Eleven Mod guy, I'm not sure if it's a bug with Dom, your mod, or if it's even a bug in the first place, but this doesn't looks right to me.

While, over on a throne, there's just a bunch of militia, like the indies got mixed up or something.

Pomp fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 4, 2014

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Don't turn 1 expand, even with a Virtue, kids. :eng99:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Neruz posted:

Yeah unless you like playing russian roulette Misfortune 3 is to be avoided at all costs; there are a number of really nasty neutral attacks that only unlock in Misfortune 3 and they are brutal.

Unless you are one of those magical bastards who is immune to bad luck in which case free points for you, you fuckers. You know who you are.

So what you're saying it, take Misfortune 3 and a Dragon, then try to rush down everyone on the map before bad events kill you?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Turin Turambar posted:

Baam. Caelum archers are sacred.

"Stop playing Caelum," they said.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm trying to get some people who have been interested since Dom 2 to finally dive in with the Gamersgate deal. They are, however, not goons. Are there any non-goon game services?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I Love You! posted:

You should be able to get them approved anyway as long as they coo

It's like 6 people.

brainwrinkle posted:

Since there seems to be decent demand for it, I'll host a public version of the GGS. Should be up at dominionsturntracker.com sometime soonish. Of course the current GGS will remain as it is at brainwrinkle.net.

If someone wants to write a good guide on hosting games for pubbies, I'll throw it up there too.

:hfive:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What's the difference between a thug and an sc?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Decrepus posted:

You need to recruit Scouts from every province that can recruit them every single turn. Use repeat recruitment. If you are unlucky and don't get scout provinces just go AI. Scouts will give you a rough estimation of the enemy force in the province which will often be terribly off and cause you to die. A scout might report that there are some militia and archers and leave out the information about two powerful air mages backing them up.

You can use your scouts (or independent commanders, 40g always recruit these also) set to Retreat orders and put them at the back of the battlefield and then attack a province. This will give you a totally 100% accurate look at the enemy in the province so you can guess what you need to send there and formations to use etc.

Years of RTS experience have ingrained "ALWAYS BE SCOUTING" into my psyche, and the second I figured out that Pangaea can recruit Harpies from any forest province they became my new favorite nation. Does anyone beat Pangaea when it comes to scouting ability? After like 20 turns I see all.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Victor Vermis posted:

In Grampa's Closet:

Ashdod does not fear fire. Ashdod does not fear little arrows. Ashdod laughs at little fire arrows.

300 Pygmies vs 29 Double bless giants. I think if you took the sum of the damage dealt overall to the giants by the pygmies, it still wouldn't be enough to kill a single giant.

On that day, humanity received a grim reminder

Can we still hit up server hosts to host games on the pubbie service, or are we on our own for that?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

murtidash posted:

For now I'm going to say that it depends for me. I don't mind hosting public games for goons right now but if it becomes too much of a pain in the rear end then I'm going to stop and only host all goon games.

On a similar note, what is the biggest barrier for more people than just Tenjou to host right now? Is it a dedicated computer always on/connected to the net? Is it not knowing how? Is it people not trusting their home internet and wanting a server? I ask because a few people are currently speccing out/talking about an app to automate all facets of game hosting and give people a way to plug their servers into it so you could like get a small AWS instance, install dominions, run our executable and then use our site to do all the config/settings/admin/etc. We don't have a schedule or anything so please don't consider it a thing but we're all pretty into it and think it would be a fun project.

It's the always connected part, for me. poo poo goes down all the time.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I got a CTD trying to connect to a game and

I see :confused:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm vouching for Liqourish for the GGS. Those friends of mine are really liking the game so far, and want to play more - two of them in smaller games with friends, but this one wants to dive in deeper. He's a pretty chill guy.

I got a third one, a goon, to buy it, but he's sitting around intimidated by the UI like a big baby and didn't join us. :argh:

Pomp fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 4, 2014

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ProfessorCurly posted:

If you missed the last three loving games, we've got Random Gen game #4, the Infinity Cup!

EDIT: Also I almost forgot about the nation with these, crisis averted. Still, goddamn this is glorious.

I hope they went tribless.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I made a mistake in a nationgen game and forgot to script anyone in my army but my sacreds and blessers :shepicide:

edit:V Probably nothing, but it would have at least been less of a brutal wipe. I also forgot how fast not-caelum would be able to cross a map.

Pomp fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 19, 2014

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Yes, good.

Edit:

Pomp fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 9, 2014

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jabarto posted:

Honestly I'd just as soon get rid of it altogether. Save-or-die spells are almost impossible to balance and are generally a terrible idea.

Yeah, they offer nothing healthy to the game, just a small chance for anyone with access to the spell to kill literally anything without full magic immunity. Every game that's phased them out has been better for it.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Posting to confirm that I won't just forget that I signed up for a dominions game this time tomorrow, and that i've set a daily alarm to remind me to do my loving turns.

edit:I forgot there was a seperate thread for this.

Pomp fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 13, 2015

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I've been farting around with Ashdod in AI games, and I'm not really sure what my viable research goals are. I rush for construction to kit out Adons, but I'm lost after that. Some of sacred national summons looked like they could be decent supercombatants/thugs with the right items, but they're real deep in conjuration.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
how on earth does wither bones work on ghosts

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I have no idea why my edomites kept getting owned by indies turn after turn. Only indies that beat them when I was testing them was heavy cavalry or being outnumbered 4 to 1 :negative:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fat Samurai posted:

EDIT: Oh, Power of the Spheres is +1 to paths, but at 1S gem and 100 fatigue cost, so I'm not sure how to use it.

i have no idea what i'm talking about, but it always sounded like it could be useful in conjunction with communions to me

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

this is basically true of most sacreds in one way or another. they're still good and worth using. mictlan doesn't just stop using jags once machaka has maws right? (or do they and i'm just bad?)

we're all bad friend

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Giant Baby should be a summon.

who dares call me

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
this seems unfair

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I forgot so much stuff when I sent all those armies out. Like half my mages were unscripted, including a bunch ones i gave boosters and gems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Turin Turambar posted:

I remember my first big doubt in Dominions 4 was related to priests: I was following the instructions to make a blessing but I couldn't get it to work. The problem was the blessing was already done, because my Pretender was present (and they bless everyone in a kind of pre-battle turn). Dom4 has a lot of small exceptions and special cases like that.

Wait what

• Locked thread