Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Lilli posted:

:stare:

How do they want you to heal undead then?

Did some SP testing - GoH still works on Tarts, so I would assume that carries over to all undead.

How are u posted:

It seems like a lot of the changes they've made to the game are mean to de-emphasize supercombatants and promote conventional armies and battlemagic in the end game. I think that's cool!

Some of the changes are probably actually counter-productive to that goal - making boosters harder to get will really hurt nations with limited path spreads available to them.
And the removal of the ability to adjust taxes is also going to hurt nations in the long run. (No more LA Man patrol-tax-CASTLE SPAM cycle, for example.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Incy posted:

That was a theorycraft myth anyway. It hurts blood nations more than anything else.

Wasn't a myth - I did it myself, and while it wasn't perfect, it gave me ludicrous research and income in a hurry.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
For those who may not be watching the PGS thread - I've put up a MP test game on http://brainwrinkle.net and will be adding another one shortly.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
I now have both an EA and a MA game up on brainwrinkle. Sign up and we'll get testing. :v:

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Lilli posted:

Eh, other folks don't really like CBM either. Plenty of other folks worked on or released mod sets.

CBM was fine for a while, but it succumbed to the same thing that hits lots of other mods - uncontrolled feature creep with insufficient documentation. The Awesome series of mods worked much better because they were more focused and you could actually tell what they did.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

builds character posted:

You should try zauper's mod. It's the best. And awesome mods are, well, awesome.

I think I had quit playing Dom3 before that one came out - what did he change?

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Lilli posted:

The game isn't officially released yet.... Sooooo nonexistant.

Not true - I have a pair of beta games up at the Goon Game Service waiting for players. We'll probably have to restart the games once or twice as patches come out, but if you've preordered and gotten the beta. . .

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
TestRandom:
Mightypeon, Fleur Bleu, Korwin and Roland Jones need to put in their pretenders so we can kick this off. :mad:

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
TestRandom:

Mightypeon still has not uploaded a pretender, and so we can actually get this game going before they patch again and we have to restart, I've kicked him.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
I've set up a pair of beta games using version 3.99f (the current desura version) on the Goon Game Service. The MA game just started up, and the EA game still has open slots. If they both fill and people are interested, I'll also put up a LA one.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Speleothing posted:

Holy crap, LA Pythium is nice, all the heretics & 'frontier' troops available without a fort. MM3 Comitatense and MM2 Palatines available at every fort and a MM3 standard to go with them.

More nations should have the ability to raise troops out in their hinterlands, I think. Though it'll have to be carefully balanced to be not better than fort troops, but still useful.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

WYA posted:

So. Anybody playing the game, is single player actually fun and challenging now?

AI is, and will always be, terrible. Multiplayer is the way this game can be good.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
TestCradle and TestRandom:

I have updated to 3.99g because it didn't blow when I tested it locally.
Upgrade your clients, and hope it doesn't go too insane.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
Is Lum dead? He hasn't posted or done his turns in TestCradle. . .

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Nuclearmonkee posted:

gently caress Ermor forever. Did they just flip them around or is LA somehow even worse than Ashen Empire?

LA Ermor is gone - Pythium is the only remnant of the Empire left. As it should be. (Lemuria doesn't count, since it's all ghosts. :colbert:)

And Ashen Empire in MA is not quite as bad, with the larger amount of priestly power around.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
:siren: TestPantheon :siren:

We were talking in IRC, and people were discussing two things: the Valanis map and disciple games. So, I figured I'd try combining to two, and see if there was interest in a game to round out the set with TestCradle and TestRandom.

The setup is as follows:
1) Late Age
2) On the Valanis map.
3) 12 players (no more than two water nations).
4) Four pantheons, one pretender and two disciples each. How people choose to divvy themselves up is up to them, but I'm reserving a pretender spot.
5) High throne count - 24 total points in thrones, 16 to win. That should make things lively.

Post here to signal interest, what role you want to play, and what nation.

Kenlon fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 12, 2013

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
I have claimed Pythium in TestPantheon and will lead the Empire to new glory.
Going with strong scales rather than a bless build - who's with me?

Game is up here: http://www.brainwrinkle.net/games/63
If you've decided on your nation, sign up - nation conflicts are on a first come first serve basis!

Kenlon fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Sep 12, 2013

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
TestPantheon:

It turns out that in order to set up a team game server, I need to know the nation IDs of all players, and what teams they have formed. Please sign up on the GGS site and coordinate forming teams so I can get the server up!

Kenlon fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 12, 2013

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Korwin posted:

All hail Kenlon!
Count me in as Patala Utgard-Disciple.

Edit: The god will be sleeping or imprisioned?

Whoops - I've already got a full roster with Shadowofdawn and YuriAndrogynopov on my side. Guess you'll have to find another deity.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Valiantman posted:

Just saying.

And when I posted the first couple games there, people didn't notice. Having game signups in the active Dom4 thread makes far more sense and keeps the thread alive where people can see it. :colbert:

TestPantheon:

All player slots are full, please get your team compositions to me (either here or in IRC) so I can put up the game.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Mage paths being displayed on the unit card is the best thing. Now you have license to give your mages stupid names instead of W2E1S3 and still know what the gently caress they are good for at a glance.

I still name everything appropriately to their paths - rather than a full path list, it's things like "Death Elder", for an Augur Elder who got a death random. Feels more thematic.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
It's not LA Ermor anymore, they are in MA now.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

TheDemon posted:

Nature: lol gently caress you nature nations

Nature isn't quite that badly off:
Evo 4: Breath of the Dragon is decent, for it's large AOE and low fatigue.
Thaum 3: Panic isn't half bad either.

You also get a whole stack of buff spells for your troops, including things like Relief.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

lokipunk posted:

So a few years late to this party, but I just got Doms3 because I had plenty of steambux sitting around. I am absolutely loving this game and kicking myself for not getting it sooner. I am only currently playing against easy ai with http://dom3.servegame.com/wiki open on my other monitor to get a feeling of what the hell I am doing. Is this the kind of game where I should pick a race(theme) I like and go with it? Really like LA Ermor but I feel like that race won't win me any friends if I ever stop being afraid to play online.

Any of the Frost Giant nations are good to learn with: Niefelheim, Jotunheim and Utgard. You have good troops for bless/non-bless strategies, solid path access, and a really cool theme to work from. Most of it even translates over to Dom4!

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

How are u posted:

I think, with addition of Thrones, we might actually get a Dom4 LP that isn't Doomed to Fail.

The UI improvements will do more for LPs than Thrones will - but they will definitely help.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

TheDemon posted:

C'tis for example, you basically want a shielded and an unshielded troop; unshielded you don't want anything but the Elite Warrior or possibly Slave Warrior if you have no res. 6 attacks per square, both at 12 att, and the trident + strength does 18 damage, and they have good morale. Shielded there's not much to choose between the units, because shields in dom3 deflect arrows entirely, however the Heavy Infantry is mapmove 1 which'll hamstring your armies. I'd personally buy City Guard, but not in large quantities.

Note that this advice is pretty useless when you go to Dom4 - the slave/elite warriors got nerfed down to 9 morale, and can no longer be relied on to do anything before breaking.
can

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

amuayse posted:

The slave warriors get 13 morale if they're lead by a taskmaster.

So taskmaster is +2 morale per level? Interesting. You're still having to waste fort turns on them, though. They would be a good candidate for being recruitable in non-fortified provinces - maybe restricted to swamps? Might make slave troops worthwhile again.

EDIT: I just checked. Taskmaster is only +1 per level. Elite Warriors that you just recruited and assigned to a taskmaster will show up as morale 13 - +2 for taskmaster, +1 for friendly dominion, +1 for home province.

So back on the poo poo pile they go. Leading with Lizard Kings is flat out better.

Kenlon fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 19, 2013

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

amuayse posted:

Wow, tri blesses are pretty scary.

Blesses in general are pretty poo poo in Dom4, given the greater emphasis on scales, but if it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Tulip posted:

"Now"? I'm pretty sure people only touched negative order in mod games.

Turmoil3/Luck3 had a place in Dom3, especially if you had positive prod and/or growth scales to help with raising your base income back up. Order is way more important in 4, though.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

What changed, exactly?

Unrest is much, much worse now, and order helps with that.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Don't even need BoT for that. Warlocks are so old they may as well start diseased.

It's worse for Anathemant Dragons.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Eschatos posted:

I say fix it by keeping the allowed movement range, but remove sea landing attacks and introduce unit attrition/afflictions for longer journeys. It makes sense for soldiers to get scurvy on long voyages, don't it?

Making it something you can set on a map by map basis is much saner, and doesn't involve any sort of new mechanics.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
Does anyone know when we might get a DB dump for Dom4? Going through and making spreadsheet by hand with all the mage stats is becoming painful.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

The Bramble posted:

So just as a matter of theorycraft, what would an EA Pelagia player do if he wanted to invade the land? Is there a powerful or obvious summon that strong water mages get that I just don't see? Can Mermen be supported by mermages in such a way that they aren't merely average?

You'd have to force a landing with your national troops+mermages, then your options depend on what sort of path diversity you have in order to summon up better troops to block for you. Also, remember that you can forge Amulets of the Fish natively on your Pearl Mages and Pearl Kings, so communioned heavy water evocations are a possibility. Also communioning can get you enough nature for the important battlefield buffs (like Relief.)

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Zauper posted:

Not really early game if you have construction for amulets and falling frost

Amulets are const 4, Falling Frost is Evo 5. Pelagia has very good research, with recruit-anywhere Pearl Mages. It's entirely possible to have those spells by the early midgame. If you decide to grab a land foothold before then, you just need to be able to beat indies, which isn't hard.

quote:

None of the summons you mentioned can be cast underwater, so you can't use it to get to land..

Which is why he said 'later'. Those are the reason why you want to have a beach house.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
For anyone who's in MadPantheon, check the signup thread as I've made a large effortpost that is sorta important.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Vanilla fire has always felt the weakest to me or maybe I'm just bad. What should I be sinking fire gems into besides raging hearts, some battle magic, and maybe a little forging? I tend to just dump them into lanterns or turn them into pearls.

I've been playing around with modding ideas, and one of the things I've been considering is adding a communion spell to fire. F2, probably conjuration, probably with a higher fatigue than the base communion spells. Fire definitely needs something - and this would add some interesting flavor, too. I've been going through the janky spreadsheet of mages I'm putting together and looking to see if this expands the power of any nations too far - most of the nations that seem to benefit aren't exactly powerhouses already.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Tulip posted:

Is there any spell other than Curse of Stones that adds encumbrance to units? Maybe something with medium range, high precision, small AoE that's earlier in the tech trees? That kind of makes some sort of sense as a fire spell and would add another tool for trying to counter early game elite units/thugging.

The other thing that the game needs is more ritual magic with actual teeth. That could be helpful for the weaker combat magic lines.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

GenericOverusedName posted:

Care to elaborate? I don't know these things :(

Instead of being a 50% chance to avoid damage, it now only applies to attacks that would kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

jBrereton posted:

I made also made a fort thing which made everyone use EA Fortresses, but that's maybe missing the point, and in any case has taken off about as well as the Challenger shuttle.

I like the tougher forts, personally. Though it would be nice if the additional upgrades were actually worth it, in terms of extracting more income from your provinces. I wonder if those are moddable. . .

• Locked thread