Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

I've got a (SP lol) grip on expanding and fighting with troops and mages but I seem to be just crap at judging early expansion with an awake pretender. I most recently tried landgrabbing with a dragon and managed to wrack up two afflictions against pretty weak indies before dying to a group of Asphodel (total brain fart, forgot they fatigue) though I did take a big chunk of the small map.

Any tips for using a pretender to expand early? I wasn't sure how to script him to get the most from his breath and my only rule of thumb was to avoid heavy cav. In fact I'm pretty unsure of SCs in general, I've sometimes geared up beefy monstahs and they've done OK but generally die unexpectedly to things I didn't realise were a big threat.

Don't bother using a dragon to expand if you haven't put at least 9 Dom into it. This gives Awe 1.

With 10 Dom, it bumps that up to Awe 3 and I'd consider Dom10 mandatory, but Awe 1 is probably sufficient if you're extra careful about where you send it.

Always make sure you have at least 1 candle in a province before you send a dragon at it. Neutral Dominion isn't so bad provided you have Awe, some experience stars (which notably give bonus to defense skill), and avoid really troublesome indies such as undead (they don't retreat easily).

I've found scripting straight Hold & Fire to be the most effective (ie safest) way to clear indies. The dragon will plod forward and pretty reliably use a breath attack as soon as enemies are within range. By walking forward instead of flying in, you can obliterate units piecemeal. Cav will arrive first and retreat before spearmen arrive, spearmen will take losses and retreat before heavy infantry arrive, and everyone else will usually run away once those units route.

I'd argue against using any "attack" orders because even with "attack rear" (which might fail and drop you down between cav/inf/heavy inf) you're guaranteeing that archers will be firing accurately and every melee unit on the field will get a chance to take a shot at you. If your dragon decides to bite/tailwhip the first few rounds instead of breath'ing everyone, you could get into trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

amuayse posted:

Are there any nations with archers that also have good fire and earth access (for destruction)? Ulm has those arbalests, but three rounds kind of sucks.

EA Machaka has F3 (up to F4 with 10%) and E3 casters and 3 different flavors of cheap archers.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

MrBims posted:

Awful lot of not-noobs in there already.

One of them as MA Ermor, no less.

Classy.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Neruz posted:

I'm curious why you don't think I'm a noob at dominions because I sure do.

How many MP games of Dom4 have you been in, including the games you're currently still alive in? I'm guessing it's around 10. I've played in 9 games since purchasing Dom3- including a blitz and late game substitution- and I'd feel guilty joining a newbie game.

Keep in mind newbie games are full of people who are new to the game and/or have only ever played single player. You don't need many MP games under your belt to have a massively unfair (and unfun) advantage.

edit: Also you took MA Ermor. It's pretty transparent, guy.

Victor Vermis fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 28, 2014

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Decrepus posted:

If you are unlucky and don't get scout provinces just go AI.
I can't tell if this is a joke. It's a lovely idea if it isn't.

Penguingo posted:

I've only won a couple games, I might join in as Mictlan.
Ok, this one is funny.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

In Grampa's Closet:

Ashdod does not fear fire. Ashdod does not fear little arrows. Ashdod laughs at little fire arrows.

300 Pygmies vs 29 Double bless giants. I think if you took the sum of the damage dealt overall to the giants by the pygmies, it still wouldn't be enough to kill a single giant.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

jBrereton posted:

Slingers Pale Ones, of course, as siege troops.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

I Love You! posted:

He's playing the long con. After 5 or 6 games of that no one will attack him, ever

edit: seriously kitfox i hate you so much

Dumping 1000+ gold into PD seems like less of a long-term strategy than using it to build a fortress+defensive structure(s).

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

jBrereton posted:

Kinda understandable since things tend to be a bit slow after that.

That's when most of the independents are gone and it's no longer a single player game!

Try playing in one MP game and have a plan for what you're going to do beyond expansion. I suspect a lot of people don't do this. Might be why they go AI when they aren't even being destroyed by another player.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

jBrereton posted:

Indies go after like 15 turns at most (so two weeks, ish) unless everyone is really bad and there's some massively inconvenient province layout. Rest of the month is the first couple of big wars. After that it tends to be 2+v1s. Pretty understandable if people go AI if they're getting spanked, it isn't that fun if the start of Year 3 is two nations gangbanging you when they've just got their national specialities coming properly online, and you're so remote that you're unlikely to get support, even if that would make the game go better for everyone else.

I wouldn't do it myself, but it's hard to begrudge people for it.

Err yeah you're right about Independents being gone earlier than 30 turns. I was referring to the "lose interest after a month" part of GON's post and threw the caveat in there about "not being destroyed by another nation".

Of course it's valid to go AI if you're beaten. That doesn't seem to be the typical case with folks who load up on games and then disappear, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Consider this.

:aaaaa:

• Locked thread