Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Turin Turambar posted:

Gamersgate has the game discounted
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-DOM4TA/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascension

Just in case you want to gift it to some friend...

I'm finally going to try out this weird loving game. Time to read the manual, just like when I was a kid riding home from the store with my new computer game.

The gamersgate key works with Steam if anyone's worried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I just started playing and I'm having a hard time with the endgame.
Once it's me vs some other moderately powerful pretender, I don't know how to build some big "gently caress you" armies/units that'll start ruining his poo poo. He's got armies of like 300 Enkidu and regular armies don't seem to work well against that. Are there any generally good summons or artifacts I should be building towards?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm a little bummed out that I didn't get to play in the newbie game but maybe I should learn how to beat the computer first.

I have two questions:
How do I figure out how many troops I need in order to capture a neutral province. I think I tend to shoot way too high or way too low.

How do fortresses change the units that can be built in a province? Do I need to check beforehand to see if mages/priests are available there or will a fort change things.

Maybe I need to cheat my way through a test game and put forts all over the map to see how it works.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

TheDemon posted:

They're all terrible arguments because despite losing a lot you're still a mile better than a brand new player.

I lose constantly, lose wars constantly, and run terrible gimmicks sometimes. That does not make me qualified for a new player game. It has not made me qualified for a new player game since finishing my second game or thereabouts.

If there was a newbie game that was having a hard time finding a 7th and 8th player, it'd be really cool to have a moderately experienced player come in playing something silly.

Also, what's wrong with MA Ermor?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm excited, I have no idea what I'm doing so I'm going to go balls to the wall with blood magic.

I'm looking forward to actually figuring out what I'm doing in this thing, I can't wait to show off my EA R'lyeh pretender: Polyp'nomial

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
How do I deal with ghost armies. I've been kicking rear end in a single player game and suddenly a ghost army is just walking straight at my capital like PD or wizards aren't poo poo.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
So one of my awesome commanders got an injury and I wanted to heal him up. I had the stuff to make The Chalice so I figured that'd be an easy way to do it.

Every turn I'd see stuff like "5 afflictions have been cured" but my guy still wasn't getting better.

And then I saw this awesome Jaguar Warrior

Where he's going, he won't need eyes to see.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

I Love You! posted:

Bonus points for sending kraken to fight in arena

I was wondering about that. I've sent sea creatures with the air breathing item but I didn't know if it was required.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Chomp8645 posted:

Game of the Year.

I may not be the best strategist, or the best tactician, but hopefully I can make the other players laugh a few times before I get conquered by someone more competent.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Slaan posted:

But turkeys are good tactics. They are purpose-bred for God Slaying! Not even a pretender can get through that province. :black101:

In the hands of someone who has researched a few spells and knows how to script. Chances are those turkeys are just going to give some bane lord an obesity problem.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

"Nuclearmonkee" posted:

Unless it's a dogpile on Mictlan he's probably going to gently caress you up.

I wish.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Speaking of horror marks and curses, how do those all work? I'm always nervous about crafting tainted gear because I don't know what a horrormark actually does.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Jaguar repellant for everybody but Mictlan?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Anyone know what causes the
NĂ¥got gick fel!
getitemfx: bad cnr

error during the Enchantments phase?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I've been struggling in single player to figure out how to turn general dominance in the game into something that actually allows me to start crushing enemy armies.
I've got a few ideas but I'm interested in hearing other things that turn an advantage into victory.

I tried a heavily water based approach and got good results with Vengeful Water and Lure of the Deep. I also really liked Sea King's Court. Is there any viability to using them as researchers/gem generators while a different commander uses the trolls to fight? I can't see any other way to get gem generating creatures other than the ones that summon unique creatures.

My game broke while I was getting close to researching Strands of Arcane Power. That looks like something that'd start really tearing poo poo up, or I don't understand how it works.

Burden of time gets mentioned quite often, I think I see how that'd win a game for an undead nation.

Wild Hunt/Enchanted Forests sounds useful

Astral Corruption + Send Horror: I'm going to have to make a game and figure out how this works.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Neruz posted:

Or the mod where all the sound effects are replaced by someone making similar sounds with their mouth.

Are we both thinking of this thing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPogONWFTfU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I pretty much play Single Player only, and this update has been pretty neat.

I really like the end of game replay.

I also like that repeat actions have been made easier to do without having to look up a special keystroke.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I just played a game with Uttervast as my pretender. Pretty cool to watch him zoom around murdering stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm gonna laugh if the new thread title is "Dominions FIVE: Sequel to the Best Game Ever"

• Locked thread