Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
LA De Dana hypothetically finished at this point.

Nothing much changed in this version from a gameplay point of view, it's more a tightening up of unit IDs (nation's now straight from 3750-3773 instead of hogging slots, and heroes should be back in normal games); plus clarification of some rambling descriptions; and adding a new sprite for the bowmen so they look a bit less garbage.

If this mod is new to you, it's a pretty balanced-ish mod nation that adds some Fir Bolg content to LA, instead of them kinda dropping by the wayside, which was always a shame. As well as having a very decent national army (although they do have serious problems with crossbows before Arrow Fend), they can resurrect some unrest-causing Fomorians via Conjuration, and improve them in a similar way to Ermor through research in Enchantment.

The nation has very expensive, StR, cap-only mages, one of which is 10% homesick, but neither of them is old-aged, and they've got pretty strong AEN, a path combination you don't see all that much of in LA.

I hear people have been using them for some multiplayer games, and hopefully you'll enjoy them too.

Anyway, here's the normal version for normal people.
Here's the Mobility! version for the handful of people who use that mod.

They should both be working fine, and independent of one another, do report any issues if you run into them.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Turn 21 BoT rush as EA R'lyeh worked as designed. I was ~*relevant*~.

Please ban this man tia.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Decrepus posted:

Please ban this man tia.

I sold him the death gems knowing fully well what he planned to do with them.

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

Have Some Flowers! posted:

GenEAricgame has drawn to a close. Many people will remember this game as the one where Nuclearmonkee's EA Ryleh was traded Death Gems and blasted out an untouchable Burden of Time on turn 21. Most people gave up or quit soon after.

It was also the game where a dude got domkilled by ILoveYou's Arcoscephale on turn 9. ILU's opening Dompush was so strong that it lasted for 7 years after the point where he AI'd out.

Those of us who remained after BoT... had a pretty good game. We all got fat on the leftovers of the AI'd players - it was almost like a second opening expansion to the game. We then threw all manner of armies, mages, battle magic, remote attacks, harassment, globals and more at each other. In the end, while Nuclearmonkee was scripting his fights better and putting together better armies value-wise, my economy and research were too far along.

I wish I had stuck around longer but I felt demoralized for this entire game, even though I had a huge chunk of the north and almost enough thrones to win it. I feel like I failed to win this because of my total lack of diplomacy throughout the game. I sent some listless messages to my neighbors in the first year, didn't receive any responses and then spent the entire rest of the game was fighting one defensive war after another. Neruz the noobfucker decided to attack without warning, followed by Niefelheim cleaving through him and rolling straight into me, followed by Vanheim going AI and then attacking. Right as I get close to cleaning up all these fuckers Ryleh attacks and I very stupidly tell Yomi right before I commit armies underwater which invites him Yomi to attack me across my huge southern front. While this is going on BoT is killing off all my old rear end independent mages and for some reason Agartha's oracles easily go old and start racking up shitloads of afflictions.

I had a great gem income but I pissed it away just trying to hang on against Pangea, Niefelheim, and Vanheim, wasting a bunch thugging out ancient lords, and trying but badly losing the global spell contest. Agartha's unique summons are amazing and were the only reason I managed to hang on as long as I did. I would have liked to have hung around longer before I went AI but turns were taking an increasing amount of time and I was completely tapped out on gems so it was only a matter of time.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Jon Joe posted:

I sold him the death gems knowing fully well what he planned to do with them.
You are the Albert Speer to his Sea Hitler. Disgraceful.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

jBrereton posted:

You are the Albert Speer to his Sea Hitler. Disgraceful.

I prefer the shortened moniker of Shitler thanks.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

ClothHat posted:

Right as I get close to cleaning up all these fuckers Ryleh attacks and I very stupidly tell Yomi right before I commit armies underwater which invites him Yomi to attack me across my huge southern front.
When I turned on you, it was mostly out of panic because I was scared about the throne count. I had no scouting (because of your Vengeful Waters) so I had to assume the worst.

I think I got pretty fortunate in terms of timing. You can spot the point on the graphs where I pull 90% of my mages from research and put them into battle. There are some big drops in army counts around then, and it's where my provinces and income start to go up.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
A lot of online guides suggest 2 level 2 bloodhunters with 2 sanguine rods as the "optimal" blood hunting setup. Are there ever good reasons to deviate from that? For instance as Mictlan I assume that i want to use their B1 guys to keep my bloodhunts going - should that be 3 B1's with 3 dowsing rods to get the same result?

I get that going over that number means more poploss and unrest in return for more blood slaves. Is this worth doing, like in endgame when it's feasible to move into a pure blood slave economy?

TheresNoThyme fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 15, 2014

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
tuba was cool as gently caress. i didnt get to crush some rear end in a top hat with a hellpower communion though. some dude actually literally cast call merkahavah or whatever. then i killed it in one battle by casting storm and rigor mortis and quagmire and grip of winter. i couldnt win a enslave mind roll vs the chayot with 27 mr tho. rip the best game

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

TheresNoThyme posted:

A lot of online guides suggest 2 level 2 bloodhunters with 2 sanguine rods as the "optimal" blood hunting setup. Are there ever good reasons to deviate from that? For instance as Mictlan I assume that i want to use their B1 guys to keep my bloodhunts going - should that be 3 B1's with 3 dowsing rods to get the same result?

I get that going over that number means more poploss and unrest in return for more blood slaves. Is this worth doing, like in endgame when it's feasible to move into a pure blood slave economy?

As far as I can tell, there's no point in going with 6 blood worth of hunting skill anymore now that changing taxes isn't a thing. You either want to get a bunch of hunters going to max out unrest then move on, or you want to have as much hunting as you can patrol down in a turn.

FnF
Apr 10, 2008

Eschatos posted:

As far as I can tell, there's no point in going with 6 blood worth of hunting skill anymore now that changing taxes isn't a thing. You either want to get a bunch of hunters going to max out unrest then move on, or you want to have as much hunting as you can patrol down in a turn.

Why is it more efficient to max out unrest then move on? I thought that neither the unrest increase nor decrease mechanics depended on the current unrest level, and that the income loss to unrest was linear.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

FnF posted:

Why is it more efficient to max out unrest then move on? I thought that neither the unrest increase nor decrease mechanics depended on the current unrest level, and that the income loss to unrest was linear.

Blood hunt success depends on unrest level.

I've found the most efficient is jamming 4-6 blood hunters in a province and patrolling like mad. You'll lose a ton of income but your success rate will be very high, and generally by the time you have that many hunters going your income isn't very important.

Early on, 1-2 to a province, small patrol groups. Later, 4+ to a province, large patrol groups.

baronb
Mar 3, 2014

jsoh posted:

tuba was cool as gently caress. i didnt get to crush some rear end in a top hat with a hellpower communion though. some dude actually literally cast call merkahavah or whatever. then i killed it in one battle by casting storm and rigor mortis and quagmire and grip of winter. i couldnt win a enslave mind roll vs the chayot with 27 mr tho. rip the best game

Im really really really disappointed the Merkahavah didn't get more rear end kicking done.

Tuba was really interesting and fun nonetheless. I think Smerdyakov summed it up pretty well. In my lategame I ended up stacking all my researchers on my capital with a well of youth and the chalice to stop them all from dying of old age. That worked for awhile until they all started going crazy from R'lyeh.

Lessons learned: Dont cast Wild Hunt. DEFINATELY dont cast the Kindly Ones. Do cast Gifts of Nature's Bounty. That spells hella good.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

I Love You! posted:

Blood hunt success depends on unrest level.

I've found the most efficient is jamming 4-6 blood hunters in a province and patrolling like mad. You'll lose a ton of income but your success rate will be very high, and generally by the time you have that many hunters going your income isn't very important.

Early on, 1-2 to a province, small patrol groups. Later, 4+ to a province, large patrol groups.

In a lategame scenario how many blood slaves (on average) do you try and get from a province per turn?

It's really hard to tell whether I'm doing things like patrolling sufficiently when there's so much RNG inherent in bloodhunting, seems like it would be easier to aim for a ballpark number of slaves and then tweak patrols/hunter counts accordingly.

edit: It's really weird reading a bunch of game summaries were a lvl 9 income boosting enchantment keeps getting lauded so highly. Sounds like I need to try it out sometime

TheresNoThyme fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 15, 2014

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

TheresNoThyme posted:

In a lategame scenario how many blood slaves (on average) do you try and get from a province per turn?

It's really hard to tell whether I'm doing things like patrolling sufficiently when there's so much RNG inherent in bloodhunting, seems like it would be easier to aim for a ballpark number of slaves and then tweak patrols/hunter counts accordingly.

edit: It's really weird reading a bunch of game summaries were a lvl 9 income boosting enchantment keeps getting lauded so highly. Sounds like I need to try it out sometime

I'm more concerned with total output, but it's not unusual to be pulling 40+ slaves from each of my primary provinces per turn.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Just going to leave this here.

Astral Corruption best spell. There are no less than *3* nations that are send horror capable in Headtrauma so I expect to see the entire world blasted into a horror infested wasteland where no man dares venture beyond the safety of a fort.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Just going to leave this here.

Astral Corruption best spell. There are no less than *3* nations that are send horror capable in Headtrauma so I expect to see the entire world blasted into a horror infested wasteland where no man dares venture beyond the safety of a fort.

This is literally a giant middle finger to the 2 nations left in the game that were already losing. Poor Man and Lemuria. You literally have nothing you can do to fight back against Mictlan/Abysia/Ulm spamming send horror.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Did Kindly Ones get buffed? Or is it just that you had squishy unprepared blood mages?

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Gaghskull posted:

This is literally a giant middle finger to the 2 nations left in the game that were already losing. Poor Man and Lemuria. You literally have nothing you can do to fight back against Mictlan/Abysia/Ulm spamming send horror.

I'll just leave these here.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I'm sending all my magisters off to die and just producing knights and defenders now. :geno:

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

jBrereton posted:

LA De Dana hypothetically finished at this point.

Nothing much changed in this version from a gameplay point of view, it's more a tightening up of unit IDs (nation's now straight from 3750-3773 instead of hogging slots, and heroes should be back in normal games); plus clarification of some rambling descriptions; and adding a new sprite for the bowmen so they look a bit less garbage.

If this mod is new to you, it's a pretty balanced-ish mod nation that adds some Fir Bolg content to LA, instead of them kinda dropping by the wayside, which was always a shame. As well as having a very decent national army (although they do have serious problems with crossbows before Arrow Fend), they can resurrect some unrest-causing Fomorians via Conjuration, and improve them in a similar way to Ermor through research in Enchantment.

The nation has very expensive, StR, cap-only mages, one of which is 10% homesick, but neither of them is old-aged, and they've got pretty strong AEN, a path combination you don't see all that much of in LA.

I hear people have been using them for some multiplayer games, and hopefully you'll enjoy them too.

Anyway, here's the normal version for normal people.
Here's the Mobility! version for the handful of people who use that mod.

They should both be working fine, and independent of one another, do report any issues if you run into them.

Are all of the undead fomorians supposed to cost gold in upkeep in addition to causing unrest?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Smerdy why is your Ghost King wearing Chi Shoes?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Neruz posted:

They're comfy. Why else? :confused:

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Neruz posted:

Because he kicked a loving doom horror to death with it--show some respect for his ghost-fu.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
He is dead let him have his sweet kicks yo

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The patch should be out next week (from Illwinter in Desura forums)

FnF
Apr 10, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

The patch should be out next week (from Illwinter in Desura forums)

Will this be the patch that includes Caelum getting sacred archers? Can't remember if they're supposed to be getting other cool stuff too...

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

FnF posted:

Will this be the patch that includes Caelum getting sacred archers? Can't remember if they're supposed to be getting other cool stuff too...

It's a general Zoroastrian patch so Caelum (and partially Abyssia) will get massive updates. Ragha will be a new LA nation of Caelum descendants that can generate gems from temples and focuses on fire and air.

FnF
Apr 10, 2008

amuayse posted:

It's a general Zoroastrian patch so Caelum (and partially Abyssia) will get massive updates. Ragha will be a new LA nation of Caelum descendants that can generate gems from temples and focuses on fire and air.

Well now that doesn't sound at all like it has huge potential to be hilariously broken...

Incidentally, I never knew that fire-storming a group of hundreds of maenads would generate quite such an insane :psyduck: sound.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

LordSloth posted:

Are all of the undead fomorians supposed to cost gold in upkeep in addition to causing unrest?
Originally, yes, not quite so sure now. The faction's getting a bit of a workover after I played a bit more with it, rather than mostly leaving it sit for weeks.

Expect an update probably later within the week, which is going to be an overall buff because I've been hearing a lot of people say they're a little weak, and as well as that, adding a number of new spells, units, and a PG which should hopefully work out well to make the nation more rounded-out.

e: Mass Maenad obliteration chat - yep it's the worst thing. Female death noise is pretty shrill and haunting.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 17, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

FnF posted:

Well now that doesn't sound at all like it has huge potential to be hilariously broken...

Incidentally, I never knew that fire-storming a group of hundreds of maenads would generate quite such an insane :psyduck: sound.

Fire is a terrible path and birdmans are terrible at everything except flying around a lot so maybe having gems coming out of their arse will work out for them.

It will at least encourage Ragha to build temples outside of forts, making for targets for enemy raiding parties. Presumably their capitol gem income is pretty meh or nonexistant too.

jBrereton posted:

e: Mass Maenad obliteration chat - yep it's the worst thing. Female death noise is pretty shrill and haunting.

Apparently the cave cow spitting noise is horrific too. I wouldn't know because I turned the sound off in this drat game a long time ago.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 17, 2014

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
I know it depends on which nation you play, but in general what are the staple spells I should look to get? The only one I've really heard is Fire Storm.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

That Gobbo posted:

I know it depends on which nation you play, but in general what are the staple spells I should look to get? The only one I've really heard is Fire Storm.

This massively hugely depends on what nation you're playing as, but I'll give some general good spells for each path.

Fire: Falling fires/phoenix power will kill stuff hard until you reach stuff like pillar of fire. Flaming arrows are amazing if you have easily recruitable ranged units. Prison of fire is great against waves of chaff. Fire snakes are pretty much the only summon worth considering.
Water: Falling frost is great aoe. Frozen heart is great single target. No real standout summons besides sea kings court, and that's not worth rushing.
Earth: Ogres are a good early summon, very cost effective with decent strength mages. Legions of steel and weapons of sharpness will turn good troops into great troops. Blade wind/earthquake are the staple damage spells.
Air: Aim + lightning bolt/thunder strike will wreck pretty much anything. Storm + storm power will give a huge boost to effectiveness. Mistform + mirror image is amazing for thugs. Finally I'm a big fan of air elemental spam for battles that need to go well.
Death: Raise dead is your best early battle spell. Soul vortex + invulnerability are great thug/SC buffs. Death also has loads of good summons, like bane lords for thugs or pale riders for hordes of cheap chaff.
Nature: Pretty much my least favorite path aside from constructed items. Lots of buffs for troops/thugs, like barkskin/personal regen. Swarm gets you absolutely huge amounts of chaff, which can be very useful. Mother oak has the distinction of being the easiest global to reach, and is worth rushing if you have the income for it.
Astral: Loads of good stuff. Soul slay, stellar cascades, and astral geyser are all great battle magic. Mind hunt is great if you have the mages for it. Plenty of good buffs too, luck, astral shield, etc.
Blood: Plenty of good summons, which are available depends on your nation. Blood burst is pretty much the best nuke without a huge research requirement. Hell power is a good panic button spell.

Obviously those are only a small slice of available spells and your options depend entirely on your nation, but you can't go wrong with the spells listed.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

That Gobbo posted:

It depends on the school. I've heard it often suggested that the easiest way to get started with battle magic is to play an air nation and focus on getting a storm + storm power + thunderstrike battery going, then transitioning into fog warriors + (if you can get it) rain of stones.

But overall there are a ton of combinations and everything is situational. I'm in a Mictlan game right now where my communions cast withering bones + relief when fighting lemuria, then switch over to swarm + blood aoe spells when fighting human nations. A nation with the same exact paths but no access to Mictlan's amazing sacreds might focus more on buffing their troops to help hold the line, or have summoned demon SC's to outfit with D and N gear. Or they might have gone for an all-demon army while spamming blood rain (not against Lemuria though).

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Sauromatia seems to be the ultimate summon spam nation. Blood, nature, and death paths a plenty. Plus a D1 spell that your zotz and harab seraphs can spam that summons 20 sacred ghosts for 1 death gem. Even your chaff can have chaff.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 17, 2014

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Illwinter posted:

2014-06-15 23:26:33 +0200
Malmö stuff
Icons, sound modding, Caelum, etc.
Monster fish can damage large targets
:getin:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

So what you're saying is that it'll take about five minutes after the patch for the Tim Allen grunt mod for combat sounds to be released?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Dirk the Average posted:

So what you're saying is that it'll take about five minutes after the patch for the Tim Allen grunt mod for combat sounds to be released?

Or the mod where all the sound effects are replaced by someone making similar sounds with their mouth.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

Neruz posted:

Or the mod where all the sound effects are replaced by someone making similar sounds with their mouth.
I want this mod really bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
What's a good battle magic setup for early Jotunheim? I'm just doing a SP game with the usual row of blessed Niefel Giants, but I want my Gygjas to be used in battle at some point. (I think.)

• Locked thread