Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
This was a cool episode and the goober a few pages back fussing about it being too serious as an unironic complaint only made it better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I missed Dee Day, dunno if it was gone by the time I streamed that season or what but holy moly I think this is my favourite day. Is there only episodes for Mac and Dee day or have I missed/forgotten others?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think Dennis Day is the one I'd want to see most next, he was a surprisingly good sport on Dee Day. Then again, Dennis seems to insert plenty of days where he at least tries to take control.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

Mac and Crickets video game show featuring Abed season 2 started. I’d put it above AP Bio but both far below The Mick in the ranking of Sunny cast spinoffs.

I have a hard time not letting this show run-off my brain, it just makes me think it's The Guild, or Harmontown RPG animation, or any of the other 100 attempts to animate a videogame or tabletop world in some youtube series. Mac, Cricket, and Abed though makes me think I should give it another glance

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

When do y'all figure the power dynamic shifted between Mac and Dennis?

He hoes from not being allowed to eat the skins of apples to ordering Mac not to sit down.

I get that it's just writers going with whatever dynamic is funniest, but like,in the fiction, what do you figure caused that?

I forgot that scene and looking it up...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drr8e0BjT8M
I still get the impression it's a power-play of Dennis' over Mac, and now by extension, over Dee. It's sort of framed like "he's not allowed" but he's the one declaring and insisting on it, essentially making it has command at someone else's whipped behest.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i was excited before since this show only gets better each season and after reading the titles i just have more specific things to look forward to

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Every season goes the same. The episodes come out, people in this thread say that the show sucks now and they should cancel it. Then the season ends and people rewatch the episodes and then realize it was actually good the whole time.

i never knew what to make of the thread title. never really been in a thread during a season and most of the people I've talked to fall into one of two general camps: It's good and always getting better or basically cannot stand to watch even an episode.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

multijoe posted:

Holy poo poo they got Colm Meaney and Q Shaman guy?!?

What horrors will they visit upon O'brien now? gently caress Wit Miles Day truly never ends.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i don't even know what that dude looks like besides a vague image of a jackass with a stupid flintsones hat on

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i get most of my stereotypes about people who live in the north from Always Sunny. all you people who live up in big city states new york chicago whatever, i assume you're all one of the cast of the show.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

they cant have kaitlin on for at least the first season or they run the risk of getting into some messy discussion regarding the original dee actress

drat, read this story just now and that's really lovely of the dudes. Something you'd expect the characters to do, not the actors themselves.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's not even blackface, the Drow don't have the same history with America and it's lowkey racist to hijack the person offensively donning drowface makeup with a whimsical accent not representative of anyone who respects or understands drow culture -- to use it to make a point about some other groups of people unrelated culturally and historically.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ChesterJT posted:

These two were way weaker then the first two. Skating rink was a bust. None of the storylines were very funny. I had hopes for the big skate number but it was just a short unfunny set up for Dee hitting her head. The monkey serving beer was somewhat funny but Dee's acting class was a complete momentum killer. It ended up just being a set up for the trip.

At least the podcast is entertaining.

I accidentally skipped Roller Rink, will go back but Monkey episode was funny, I liked seeing Dee on her own fueling her own twisted pathos.

The first two episodes were the only two episodes I've seen so far where something felt off but I came to this thread and everyone seemed to like them. Monkey episode felt like back to Sunny, am surprised it was adding whiskey and not just pissing in their beer.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

lastly, you could very clearly see the inside of the "bar" when they open it in the final scene and you can tell it's not the bar in there. fans of the show already know this but they hide it way better in every other episode. if you're gonna do an origin story then spend a little extra time on smoke and mirrors. did they blow all their budget on the cgi monkey in the next episode?

this is shown for 2 seconds for less than a percent of the frame, is this what you fussin bout?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Yes! That's what I thought they were building up to -- Charlie loosened up her skates causing her to lose control and crash, so she hurts her back and spends the rest of her school years in a brace as the Aluminum Monster. I was kinda surprised when they just made her turn foul-mouthed afterwards.

Seconding the love for Dee as mentor in the other episode, though, I just loved the fun she was having toying with that poor girl. "Yes, I believe in you... or do I? Yes of course I do!" just to see the girl spirits rise and fall at Dee's whim. She's definitely Dennis's sister, and honestly if the Gang wasn't so awful to her as a check, she'd probably end up even worse than he has.

Oh yeah, aluminium monster. I guess this episode doesn't make sense in hindsight, since she was already supposed to be pretty mean and dysfunctional in high school.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

This was after high school. 1998 they would have been early 20s.

that's what I mean, it's odd for her to be so sweet since she was evidently vicious in highschool before. Not a real problem, not actually concerned about the continuity here just funny to notice.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
it must be so hard for you as an audience member to have to sit by and wretch to yourself, scream and cry suffering silently, about someone supposedly getting surgery lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
that's what i love about these tv stars man, they all get older but I stay the same age

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
do we have to pretend like y'all aren't being insufferable dweebs right now? Y'all offered a glimpse into how you view the world, it loving sucks, but surely we can move on without you ever expressing it again.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7QZgH1eP2o

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
opposite-seinfield series finale where the gang meet up with everyone's lives who they did not ruin, and are hailed as heroes before the public. trouble is only ones i can think of are the austrians.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Zombie Squared posted:

Do you think the sunny cast are big deep space nine fans?

Follow up question: do you think Colm Meany is a huge sunny fan?

not sure it's even relevant. This is just another gently caress with O'Brien day for him. If the gang can ruin his life without killing him, it'll be better than he's used to.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Small White Dragon posted:

These episodes have been excellent. Also the season opener.

Has Mac actually had a boyfriend during the show?

no and im having trouble imagining the kind of character who would date him and tolerate his gang, but plenty of tension to play with, could see someone really healthy and healing for mac but obvious schism with the gang before ultimately getting dragged to their level. dennis could also probably terminate any mac-relationship at-will with just the implication of getting with him himself.

1glitch0 posted:

These podcasts are amazing. I assume they're making money off of them somehow so I hope they continue and don't get bored. It's encouraging that they are dropping so frequently and getting longer and longer. Dennis and Dee Go on Welfare was 50 minutes. And they go so fast. They have a lot of re-listen value to, which I tend not to find with most podcasts. It's probably my favorite new thing.

Does Dee ever show up? It was weird she wasn't there in the ones I heard so far.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ajaxify posted:

Kaitlyn isn't a writer or producer on the show so it doesn't seem strange to me that she's not there; unless you just mean it's weird to hear the three of their voices and not hers? Megan Ganz is there, but without a microphone (voluntarily).

ah, even so, still assume she has input in the episodes and acting choices etc. anyway hope she guests eventually

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

Why do I imagine this as having a framing device of Charlie as a grandpa telling the story?

they're playing the long-con and this whole show has actually been part of the "How I met your..." television universe.

edit: holy poo poo didnt realize andrew dice clay was still alive

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Jerks is what it's called if Justin Spitzer was showrunner.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The hardest part of network-sitcomifying the show is that the speak over each other constantly and roll through jokes and comments. In a proper laugh track scenario every single joke and line is followed by an unnaturally long pause to allow for reactions before dipping into the next joke. There's a hard cap on jokes per minute because every joke needs to leave a pause.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
im sure california has good cuisine but they just don't know how to make hamburgers or fries there

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Cockblocktopus posted:

I do like that the rest of the gang can't believe that someone named Ronald McDonald would believe that his dad's real name was Luther Vandross.

I'm really surprised McDonald has never hit them up for some obvious brand synergy deal. Serve Shamrock Shakes at Paddy's, get some kitten mittens for the happy meals, etc

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

dorium posted:

Yep. I was a big fan of Broad City and then this happened and I just bailed on the show. Never even watched the final season. I was just out.

this is just so weird. the rest of the show was still great and hilarious. plus if youre not a nerd you dont even know who that gmilf is

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
funny all the self-righteous people in here judging ASIP characters when a) they rarely do anything worse than things we all do all the time and b) you never walked a mile in their shoes so you really don't know how it is for them, do you?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
she was a smokeshow in always sunny, i'd marry her. she takes of your crank and your heart.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 22, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Tokelau All Star posted:

Has anyone watched Single Drunk Female? I think Sofia Black-D'Elia is underrated with how funny she was in The Mick.

I started to, she's great but I'm not an alcoholic, my life has never been really damaged by alcoholism, and I felt like I got my fill of that kind of drama and tension from Shameless and plenty of other things over the years. Just too hard to relate to their struggles, I don't get the allure of alcohol the way they do, I don't understand why she isn't just getting high and playing videogames and taking care of her poo poo all at the same time it's easy, they've literally cured boredom forever so why you still itching to get drunk idgi.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

The way Rob laughs at that line... :lol:

Also I like how Rob asks how they will use up the last 10 minutes... and then it's spent talking about coffee eggs...

egg drop soup but the soup is coffee!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Party Boat posted:

Just found the podcast last week and binged my way through the backlog. It shouldn't be a surprise that three professional comedians who've worked together for over 15 years are really funny together but I'd gladly listen to them just complain about parking, lateness and near-fistfights in front of burger places.

It was very weird to hear Glenn describe sleep paralysis without apparently knowing what it is? He did say "sleep paralysis" to describe the fact that he couldn't move but didn't seem aware that the figure in the room, thinking you've woken up and the very specific noise he heard are all indicators of it. I get it occasionally and I'm familiar enough with it that I just ignore the demon and go back to sleep.

I'm sure it's very terrifying but also seems kind of cool, like, I wanna see what it's like when my mind wakes up while body is paralyzing itself. Closest I've got is a weird feeling trying to fall back asleep after being woken from sleepwalking, feels kind of like the bed is infinitely expanding and you shrinking between breaths.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Party Boat posted:

When I got familiar enough with it that it stopped being terrifying it just became annoying. I don't know that it's a universal thing because a lot of people who claim to have sleep paralysis don't mention it but I get the exact same noise Glenn talked about which for me is the worst thing. It starts like a ringing in my ears that gets louder and louder until it's completely overwhelming. When you don't know what that is it's scary but when you do it's just an irritation stopping you from sleeping properly and I already have one of those in the form of my son.

I can only imagine how irritating it would be to be cognizant, not-terrified, just like, stuck until your brain and body be normal again. It's a very idle curiosity, like, wonder what it's like if your head is chopped off kind of "I just don't know how it feels besides undesireable."

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

i think seaaon 5 is the best. idk i have to think about the worst. maybe 13. the charlie does saw to win the super bowl episode is the worst episode for sure.

lol i think that was one of the hardest laughs episodes in general for me, at least on the initial watch, not as much fun on a rewatch but I loved that episode first time.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
holy poo poo I've seen this episode more than once but Scott Bacula's singing solo is amazing, can't believe i missed it before

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ChesterJT posted:

I'm not really enjoying it as much as I had hoped. It's more "exactly a podcast with x number of dudes who are friends"

To clarify I think it's alright but it's not the Office Ladies by any stretch, it's very unfocused and in line with watching any funnyfolk hanging out and roping in their editor or whoever.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

He was a catholic priest though before the gang saved him.

his life as a catholic priest could've been much darker than anything Always Sunny threw at him