Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Damnit, I accidentally caught the 'wanted to sink how low you could go' quote in here before I watched the episode, but I like to think it would've been obvious the entire time she was being played. Great start to the season, lets hope plenty of people got the message about the new network!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Fat Ogre posted:

If anything it felt like a South Park take on a contentious issue showing both extreme positions are pretty moronic.

Yeah, South Park was exactly the same comparison I was thinking of too. Take the piss out of both sides of the argument without putting forward their own/'correct' point. Enjoyable episode, although I think maybe expectations were set differently as it was touted as a sequel to 'Gun Fever' which it felt very unrelated from in the end.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That may be true, but it must suck to see something you've been working on for close to a decade be constantly overlooked despite how much love the viewers give to it. Some of the stuff that gets nominated isn't exactly 'best comedy' calibre, even if it's watchable. The last 7 years or so only 2 shows have won Best Comedy - 30 Rock and Modern Family. I like both shows, but there's nothing on this earth that will convince me that they both deserve multiple year runs that make it look like they're head and shoulders above everything else on TV.

Half of me thinks they need to split between Cable and Network for shows as it's not really fair to compare the two, but that's a call for progress and this is the Emmys/TV industry we're talking about so lol no chance.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I enjoy BBT and defend it quite often, but it's really not 'Best Comedy' material given how many great shows are on.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Modern Family is struggling a bit now they're a few seasons in and they have to write storylines for all 3 families each week. It's burnt them out pretty quick, and last season suffered for it. If it was The Ty Burrell show and everyone else was relegated to the sidelines, it would be amazing. Ty absolutely kills as Phil on a weekly basis, and most of the time he's not on screen I'm waiting for the other stories to plod along until he is.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's popular here in Britain, even though it's primarily available to us on Netflix and streams. We're a miserable bunch at heart so we understand where the gang are coming from. It's a shame Seinfeld got relegated to midnight airing as that would've done well too in a good slot. We thrive on misery, and between those two shows - there's a lot of miserable people.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

i honestly don't know what British humour is these days, I think when people say they don't get it - they're referring to the 70s/80s imports they grew up with. It doesn't really have much of an identity now, which is why I love seeing people like Peter Serafinowicz appearing in US shows, because we definitely have talent just not much in the way of vehicles right now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think this is all the convincing I need that they don't actually have a script for Always Sunny, they just turn up and see where it goes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think my favourite was seeing that ridiculously long scene at the police station play in the background.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Maybe they should've used that anger to make a better show.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

escape artist posted:

Did you ever watch it?

I did, I wouldn't have made the comment otherwise.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, not sure what to say with regards to Dee not being anything but amazing. You can see the difference in quality when they start writing her properly, rather than just shoe horning the character in (the first season). Kaitlin Olson is ridiculously good at playing a character that's every bit on the level with the guys, rather than just being sidelined for being a girl.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

escape artist posted:

Jesus, I would pay for that game. Mac's dad outside the burning cop car. Charlie saving the waitress from rats with his special birthday rat stick. Uncle Jack and the large-breasted news anchor.

Whoever made the Scott Pilgrim game on XBLA absolutely nailed the formula, they should just reskin it for every interested franchise and cash in. It's not as if the actual game mechanics would need to be any different, just change the sprites up and re-release. Easy money/Paddy's Fun Bucks.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I pimp these guys a lot, but Unblock US offers a Netflix region changer, week trial so you can probably watch all of s9 before you pay. Can get BBC iPlayer and all that too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don't miss the push back if they knew about it in advance and might be able to tie up episodes with things like NYE etc. The Christmas special was so good and it always saddens me that the show is usually off the air by November, so we've not had another.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Could be Ideal. I haven't seen much of it but remember liking it and it getting critical acclaim. I might be way off base though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

In the Russian IASIP, The Gang are probably considered an honest bunch of people just down on their luck. The breakfast cereal episode could probably be resolved using dash cams.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Advice posted:

You guys always take things to the darkest extremes and fill in the blanks with some truly heinous poo poo. I really just think Sunny is a more innocent show than you think. (Never thought I'd say those words.)

Any other show and I might agree... but there's been far worse stuff on screen than some of that stuff. It's pretty much a race amongst them to see who can be the worst person possible.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I really enjoyed the Archer book, mainly because you can't help but read it with Sterling's voice in your head. If that rings true with this, it should be a ton of fun.

(Did the US get as many TV tie-in books like the UK used to get? Not necessarily things like A-Team annuals, but I've had a fair few coffee table books based on comedies of the 80s and 90s. Some were good, some were crap).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's a shame. The Archer book was stupidly fun, much to my surprise. The whole thing was just an angry man whining about how he wasn't allowed to write a chapter on Cobras or something.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Are they signed on for any further seasons? Hoping the report of quite a few leftfield episodes isn't a bucket list of sorts. It all sounds amazing though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thought that was the case, glad to hear. God I can't wait, especially as the season premiere episode is often amazing (excluding the obvious Dennis Gets Married one, which worked a lot better when the 2nd episode aired anyway).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

armoredgorilla posted:

My least favorite episodes are probably Frank's Brother and Dennis Gets a Divorce.

It's weird, everyone I watched Frank's Brother with enjoyed it... but it seems to be one of the most hated episodes online. Worth watching just for Shady Nasty's.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wasn't just me that heard a 'gently caress' then. Might've just been mishearing, but interesting if it wasn't. First time in a non-premium cable show? Would make sense for Sunny or South Park to get that accolade. Fun episode, I always get nervous whenever Dennis starts losing the plot though. Never know what heinous act he might commit!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It astonishes me that every time the gang think of a way of bringing the bar into the equation for whatever scheme, it always manages to pack the place out and become a success. Which they then ruin through their own selfishness and stupidity. I'd love to see a Yelp or TripAdvisor page for Paddy's Pub.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

goldblums eyes posted:

E: Not even just the weird last seconds. Them realizing they made up the story of him killing his family then in a split second sending him on a train.. idk. I felt like they could've done a lot more with that idea but what do I know.

Eh, that's pretty much the standard gang way of dealing with problems... if they're not particularly interesting, just get rid of them conscious free. I laughed at the snap take to them just pushing him away.

Enjoyed the ep, for some reason felt like it belonged a few seasons ago compared to the kind of eps we've had the last few years. A fun throwback.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I loved how none of the gang could come to terms with Cricket even being invited to one of their homes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think it was just meant to make you wonder what it was about throughout before the gag. Can't think of any reference to TD or Birdman from it. Possibly they used it as a cue for positions on set too and made the gag as a reason for there to be a loud noise every so often.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

steinrokkan posted:

I think that S2E1 is not just a logical introductory episode, it's also basically a perfect microcosmos of the entire show, so if somebody doesn't get it, there's a good chance they won't like Sunny.

Yeah I think 2x01 was my first introduction to the show and for whatever reason I didn't bite then. When nobody here knew about it and I'd gotten into it, I generally chose some of my favourite episodes from the first few seasons, gave some back story as to what the dynamic was and back to backed them with friends. It does help that it's a good show from the very start though, and you never hear fans telling people to skip episodes to start it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think the problem with the episode is it's the episode everyone latched onto when the season was announced, because it already had such potential. Going in blind to it would've been better I think. It was really fun, just not 'one of the best episodes ever!' good like some might have anticipated.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

VPNs are slow and outdated. Use a DNS service like Unblock US and it sits silently and works only when authenticating and is generally useful no matter where you live. Fees like I shill them constantly, but a ton of my friends have said how useful they find it, and it's cheap enough to not care about (plus there's a trial)

In more relevant news, my flatmate was in a less fancy area of town and told me he spotted a couple of people on the street corner selling diesel out of barrels. That sounds familiar.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that's complete nonsense. When I used to use VPNs, I'd turn them off after the authentication handshake otherwise you're likely to get buffering due to having to redirect all the traffic through it. DNS adjustments are silent and instant, and I very very rarely need to override mine.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, the Gang Spies Like US is a similar and altogether weaker ep than the Gang Pooped The Bed.

Yeah I can't believe this hasn't come up until now, 'The Gang Spies Like US' is so, so, so much worse than Psycho Pete or Frank's Brother. At least those other episodes have some great parts to it (Frank being the frog boy, Shady Nastys) whereas Spies Like Us revolves around one joke that isn't funny to start with. I'm just hoping people have wiped it from their memories. It's probably the only episode of the show I'd consider to be legitimately bad.

I remember when Dennis Gets Married was the old bogey episode, it didn't start the season off well. But when paired with the next episode, it's pretty fun.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like how Rob still has Fat Mac as his Twitter avatar.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think the show is broadcast in 5.1, so you should be able to extract the dialogue from the centre channel which should be clean of music and other sound effects.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Kaitlin is also the best person in the show when it comes to physical comedy.

I mean

I've always wanted to know what was going through Dee's head* in this scene, like... what did she think was going to happen?

And yes, I love how any straight men on the show they do have are eventually poisoned and made just as bad as the gang.

* a car door.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Ben the solider is a good guy, and Carmen (the transwoman Mac dated) and her husband seemed like good people. Also good are the Mexican family the gang kidnapped, Schmitty, and Pete.

So yeah, not everyone who interacts with the gang gets tainted provided they're able to get away from them fast enough.

Their time will come.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

As in... the episode, or hanging out in sewers while naked? It's all good either way.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

are those suicide beer vests? holy poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It was fun to watch to try and work out what was going to happen with Andy. He seemed to be drinking at their pace (minus the IV) which I thought was going to lead to his downfall. Didn't anticipate the stooge aspect.

Odd that he used 'donkey brains' though, I know they needed to find a way to link him to Frank, but not sure why that specific word would've come up between them previously. Maybe I missed something in the dialogue?